The Game Thread!

Eek, I'm about to reach 600 hours playing Ark, not bad for an early access game :D

Found this  awesome huge open cave in this modded map, can't see it in the pic really but Thor's hammer is in the middle, no idea why but it's cool. So many interesting places compared to the standard map, love games like this that are open to mods, gives you unlimited stuff to try really.

ps I have no life.

lol

Hughesy said:
Eek, I'm about to reach 600 hours playing Ark, not bad for an early access game :D

Found this  awesome huge open cave in this modded map, can't see it in the pic really but Thor's hammer is in the middle, no idea why but it's cool. So many interesting places compared to the standard map, love games like this that are open to mods, gives you unlimited stuff to try really.

ps I have no life.

lol
don't think either of us do :p but tbh that's the way I like it atm. but then I've sunk 1600 hours into DAI according to Origin over the past year

Forced Showdown. Fun stuff. Entertaining mix of various gaming genres: 3rd-person single-player rogue-like/lite twin-stick arena shooter/brawler with random cards that boost your abilities. I've seen a number of people compare it Diablo + HearthStone. Cool art style & nice audio. Easy to pick-up-&-play. Runs smooth at a high frame-rate on my 970.

Mostly very positive user reviews on Steam & MetaCritic so far. I think it was a Steam Early Access game by a small independent studio & was just "officially released" on March 29, 2016. I only recently came across it & bought it April 3.

Idiotech has a good 25-minute "first impressions" video (in 1080p at 60 FPS) on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHEsflbUlk

Anyone going to get Dark Souls 3? I've only played the first one, but didn't get into it much as the PC version was a mess. I was going to buy the updated DX11 2 version but didn't for some reason. It's the kinda game I like so I'm not sure why I didn't get  2, but I'm seriously thinking about getting 3.

Hughesy said:
Anyone going to get Dark Souls 3? I've only played the first one, but didn't get into it much as the PC version was a mess. I was going to buy the updated DX11 2 version but didn't for some reason. It's the kinda game I like so I'm not sure why I didn't get  2, but I'm seriously thinking about getting 3.

Probably not it's not really my sort of game per se. I know it's an RPG and all that just not sure it's my kind of RPG. I did order the Baldur's gate series to have a go at yesterday  which I'm looking forward to trying even though it's old. But then I've been enjoying Bioware's games a lot lately so I thought I'd add to them

I played the first one on 360 and on PC, got to the same place both times before getting bored and never playing it again lol. You know that castle/dungeon place you start the game at? Then you fight the first boss thing there, and you go down the mountain thing with a cutscene and end up at a church? Both times I got bored at the church.

Probably won't play the 3rd one, but I don't mind watching vids of other people playing it.

So you got about 10 mins in then :joy: Fair enough though, it's certainly a slow paced game which isn't for everyone.

Hughesy said:
So you got about 10 mins in then :joy: Fair enough though, it's certainly a slow paced game which isn't for everyone.
It felt longer :p But yea, just wasn't really a game for me tbh, but it's not a game I'm gonna say is bad or anything, they wouldn't be so popular if they weren't good :) 

Quantum Break review, few snippets of what I'd feared it would be like. This is the new "PC caring Microsoft" Not exactly winning the trust of PC gamers along with the awful GFWL v2
http://www.pcgamer.com/quantum-break-review/

Performance With a GTX 970 I had to play on a mix of medium/high settings to get a playable frame rate at 1080p. And even then it was inconsistent, dipping as low as 20-25 when things got really bad. The poor optimisation ultimately hampered my enjoyment of the game, and I've heard reports of similar issues, even on better GPUs.

Remedy has a track record of developing quality PC versions of its games, but Quantum Break—one of the first big releases for Microsoft’s Universal Windows Platform—runs poorly, even on high-end systems. It’s incredibly demanding (or badly optimised, depending on how look at it). Even on low settings at 1080p with a GTX 970, it struggles to maintain a steady frame rate.

This combined with blurry edges, pop-in, and fuzzy shadows does a disservice to the otherwise impressive visuals. And the inconsistent frame rate makes moving and shooting feel frustratingly cumbersome when the screen gets busy. It’s a disappointing PC port, and I have no idea why the game costs £50 on the Windows Store in the UK while Xbox One players can get it for £45 (the prices are consistent on the US store). If Microsoft wants to improve its reputation with PC gamers, they’re off to a terrible start.

Hughesy said:
Oh, you better believe I'm going to get DkS 3. I've been replaying the previous titles this past few weeks and can't wait to delve into another Souls game. Even more so since it looks like From Software combined the best of the first Dark Souls with the best of Bloodborne.

One way or the other, my insomnia-infused nights will be filled with lots of deaths.

Your excitement is swaying me into buying it :D  Now the PC version isn't an afterthought and time has been put into it, I know if I buy it I'll love it.

Bit of an odd one when I thought Codemasters themselves were struggling 
http://www.pcgamer.com/codemasters-rescues-evolution-studios-to-form-multi-platform-racing-powerhouse/

In other news, I finally took the plunge and bought Dark Souls 3, roll on 11pm tonight  :D I got a slight discount as I own Dark Souls on Steam, so it was about £36.

Hughesy said:
Bit of an odd one when I thought Codemasters themselves were struggling 
http://www.pcgamer.com/codemasters-rescues-evolution-studios-to-form-multi-platform-racing-powerhouse/

In other news, I finally took the plunge and bought Dark Souls 3, roll on 11pm tonight  :D I got a slight discount as I own Dark Souls on Steam, so it was about £36.
Indeed I though t they ewer as well but I wish them luck though.

17GB update for Dirt Rally. Don't think I'm ever going to be able to play this game again.

Last night I lost count how many times I died trying to kill the first boss in Dark Souls 3, loving it so far though.

Seen people on Steam saying they have stuttering with a similar system to me, but for me it's the smoothest game on launch for a long time, no stuttering and a constant 60fps. Maybe they haven't installed the latest driver or something.

Hughesy said:
Last night I lost count how many times I died trying to kill the first boss in Dark Souls 3, loving it so far though.

Seen people on Steam saying they have stuttering with a similar system to me, but for me it's the smoothest game on launch for a long time, no stuttering and a constant 60fps. Maybe they haven't installed the latest driver or something.

Yeah that's omne of the main reasons why I'm a bit sceptical about DS because I heard it can be a rather difficult game. I 've got into a lo tof RPG's lately but this one I've always given a wide berth because of that really. Besides I recently treated myself to the Baldur's Gate series. Although it's an old game I'm actually looking forward to it given it's made by Bioware and they make great RPG's

Yea the whole point of Dark Souls is it's very hard, it's a grim game where dying really fits the theme. I did finally beat the first boss though just from changing one move, instead of rolling to the side or back when the boss is in the second  phase, I rolled forward and beat him. For a souls game it is a very good looking game, some things look a bit meh, but overall it's good.

So glad I decided to buy it as I'm loving it, it's a slow burner but that also fits the them. :D

Dark Souls 3 is awesome, I didn't know if I'd get into it or not, but I love it. When you die (and you will a lot) it just pushes you on more, it makes you learn and through that you become better. There's no hand holding at all in this game, no direction as to where you should be going or what to do, no matter games like this anymore. I didn't play the first game much due to the crappy port, but I'm going to play this to death. I have turned off online play for my first run, as I will get destroyed by other players at the mall moment.

Since starting though I have improved hugely, and that because when you die you think what did I do wrong, and then go again. I can see why this game has such a huge following, there's very few games that force you to improve, most RPG games are so easy these days (won't use the word as I don't like it.) You are literally left to do what you want, it's a game that you can get lost in, it doesn't need big flashy cutscenes, it's all about the gameplay. Best decision I've made in a long time buying it. I doubt those that didn't like the first game will like it, but there's been lots of improvements since then, you just need to give it time as it just gets better and better. :D

You guys have to look at what this guy has built, it's really impressive! 
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/40797/building-a-lotus-e23-f1-sim-cockpit#latest

Bollocks.
Looks like the new Doom is just a cross between CoD, Halo, and possibly a little bit of Doom. It's not fast-paced, feels gimmicky, and isn't all that fun. It's just a beta at the moment, yes, but yeah, it's pretty clear what this game wants to be.
And if I want a proper modern arena shooter, I guess I'll have to wait a bit more.

Brb, installing UT 99.

Bollocks.
Looks like the new Doom is just a cross between CoD, Halo, and possibly a little bit of Doom. It's not fast-paced, feels gimmicky, and isn't all that fun. It's just a beta at the moment, yes, but yeah, it's pretty clear what this game wants to be.
And if I want a proper modern arena shooter, I guess I'll have to wait a bit more.

Brb, installing UT 99.

Good to know. I was curious, but not curious enough to download the open beta - especially after the initial reports/reviews of the beta.

I absolutely love Dark Souls 3, over 24 hours of play and I'm so hooked! It's one of the few games that forces you to actually learn and get better. Beat the boss Curse-Rotted Greatwood and got very lucky, I killed him and just as I did he killed me, but I killed him first so it counted thankfully. Such an awesome game, I can really see why it's such a popular series. Onto the road of sacrifices, starts off pretty hard until you get how these new enemies attack. It's so open ended, so I bet I've missed some secrets, so I'll definitely be completing the game more than once. Most games these days you are way overpowered so it's not a fair fight, in this game you are matched really well, enemies may be stronger but you can outsmart them. Think I might but Bloodborne at some point and use my PS4 for the first time in like a year.

Hughesy said:
I absolutely love Dark Souls 3, over 24 hours of play and I'm so hooked! It's one of the few games that forces you to actually learn and get better. Beat the boss Curse-Rotted Greatwood and got very lucky, I killed him and just as I did he killed me, but I killed him first so it counted thankfully. Such an awesome game, I can really see why it's such a popular series. Onto the road of sacrifices, starts off pretty hard until you get how these new enemies attack. It's so open ended, so I bet I've missed some secrets, so I'll definitely be completing the game more than once. Most games these days you are way overpowered so it's not a fair fight, in this game you are matched really well, enemies may be stronger but you can outsmart them. Think I might but Bloodborne at some point and use my PS4 for the first time in like a year.
Yeah sounds a boit how I feel like when I play the Dragon Age and Mass Effect games