The Game Thread!

It definitely seems like some kind of witchcraft. This is so un-Microsoft like it's weird lol.
My guess is they optimized the engine like crazy to get the best performance out of XB1.

Stick it on a normal gaming PC (let's face it most gaming pcs are ++more powerful than an XB1) and it probably runs great.

Operator1 said:

After GFWL (& XBone), it'll take quite some time for UWP to prove itself in my eyes.

Nobody is disputing that, and if you could see the messages I sent Dave, you'd know I'm the most cynical person about UWP cough GFWL2 cough. But Turn 10 have done great job with Forza Apex, performance is great, no crashes, so the game itself is great even though it's using UWP. If this is what it takes to get Forza on PC then ok. Turn 10 have clearly made sure the game works unlike the other UWP games, it will never be a rival to Steam.

Seems to be a WWI focused. Be interested to see what they do with it, destruction could make it fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7nRTF2SowQ

I've been dying for a good WW1 based game for a while (Verdun was pretty good, but it's pretty much dead atm).

Pretty amazed how much I've played Forza Apex already, can't wait for Forza 7 to be on PC. Apex is like GT 5 prologue, but free :D

Pretty proud of myself right now, the second to last race on Forza Apex is LMP1 cars, in the rain at Spa. I played it on Unbeatable AI, no assists, won it and then checked the leaderboards. 4th in Europe, and 6th overall! :) 

Looks like Forza Apex requires Windows 10... As if I needed yet another reason to cringe at UWP.

I'm not sure I see the problem... Windows 10 is free, can run games a tiny bit faster, and is a tiny bit easier on a system. Forza Apex is free, and it's good. 

Can't cringe at free things ;) 

Uh yea ofcourse it needs Windows 10, it's a DX12 game, I just don't get why people moan. I hate Microsoft as Dave can tell you with my many, many rants. But Win10 is free, it's also a lot better than 7 and 8 in every possible way, and Forza Apex is a free game, nothing at all to moan about.

Looks like we've both hit some good form then @RevolvingPrawn as when I was playing Dragon Age Origins I got past the broodmother during the dwarf section without any of my team going down first time I've ever done that and again earlier was fighting a tough section in Mark of the Assassin DLC for DA2 and again got through  it first time usually takes me at least 3 attempts. Still got to take omn Duke Prospre and his pet Wyvern but I feel moer confident than usual I can do it better than before

P12 in Europe @RevolvingPrawn                

@RevolvingPrawn Boom, man you look small from up here. But seriously these leaderboards are silly really.

Hughesy said:
@RevolvingPrawn Boom, man you look small from up here. But seriously these leaderboards are silly really.

Still beating you on most of the other races at least ;) (Last time I checked anyway).

Yea, deffo not the best leaderboards TBH. Like we said in PM's, laptime leaderboards would be better.

Just noticed you did it in the R18, don't think I've unlocked that yet. When I do I'll have another go :p 

Yea but LMP1 are my least favourite cars to drive ;) When you unlock the car turn down rear downforce as it understeers like a pig. I actually get better lap times with the rear wheel drive LMP1 cars, my score went up because I turned off rewind which I didn't need.

Hughesy said:
Uh yea ofcourse it needs Windows 10, it's a DX12 game, I just don't get why people moan. I hate Microsoft as Dave can tell you with my many, many rants. But Win10 is free, it's also a lot better than 7 and 8 in every possible way, and Forza Apex is a free game, nothing at all to moan about.
I'm sure there's a more appropriate Win10 thread somewhere on Codies forums, but since you mentioned it here what are some of the most important ways Win10 is better than Win7?  I tried Win10 a few months ago for four days, then rolled my laptop back to Win7.  Mostly because of missing AMD drivers, but also because I just didn't see anything that looked like an improvement.  It just looked like Win8 with stretched smartphone UI screens.  Not to mention Win10 seems more invasive, plus I really don't want MS deciding what updates will be installed on my PC and when.  There's already more than enough unsolicited crap floating around.  (Sorry, got away from me for a minute there.)  Basically, what am I missing?  How is Win10 going to benefit me enough to more than make up for the negatives?  I'm on Win7 64-bit Home SP1, with another copy in the wings for my next desktop PC.

Or just put up a link to that more appropriate thread.  Thanks.

It's many small things that add up to a big difference, everything feels faster. Startup is a lot faster even on crappy hardware. It uses a lot less system resources, compared to Win 7 I'm using 500mb-1gb less ram. For people with 1440p plus monitors scaling is a lot better. For gaming it will get the most attention from Nvidia and AMD.

When more and more games use DX12 you'd need Win10 to play, and honestly when PC gaming is about having the best tech I don't get why people wouldn't switch. It was the same when Win 7 came out, some claimed oh but Win XP is so much better, but it wasn't and now suddenly the same poeple claim the same with 7 vs 10, when it isn't.

Win 10 looks nothing like 8 and doesn't have smartphone ui (there's a separate touchscreen option that can be enabled), it looks just like 7. The programs section can be customised to be smaller and you don't even need to use the blocks, as there's also the actual folders like Win 7 has.

Only people with tin foil hats on think M$ are spying on them, if there's something dodgy on your PC then I'm sure authorities would be onto you eventually, so I'm not sure why people are so paranoid.

Missing drivers a few months ago? AMD have had Windows 10 drivers out before 10 came out, so that would've been an issue on your end ;)

My AMD problem was with laptop graphics drivers.  Maybe they weren't missing, just taking a time out.  I gave them four days to show, but that game does not age well.

The MS problem wasn't with their spying, just with me knowing what's going in or out of my PC.  As for dodgy activities, I'm not engaged in any but it looks like MS is.  The software is from MS, but the PC is mine and that's where MS thinks they are entitled to dump or remove anything whether I want it or not, whether I know what it is, or not.  That doesn't seem dodgy to you?

I have a couple of SSDs for the PC, so I reckon I'll be getting much faster boots soon without Win10.  I am content with 1080p and 60fps.  And RAM is cheap, especially if I stick with DDR3 for a while longer.  I don't need the best tech, just sufficient tech.  As for privacy, I don't have anything to hide but that doesn't make my privacy less important.  Generalities are insufficient and I'm still dubious.  I'm willing to give Win10 another try, but not until I see solid reasons to do so.  I'm aware that eventually I'll have to give up on Win7, but not yet.

You know you could have just gone to the AMD site and gotten them yourself?

And there's settings you can turn off to stop any data being sent to MS. You can configure the privacy settings to your liking.

You know you could have just gone to the AMD site and gotten them yourself?

And there's settings you can turn off to stop any data being sent to MS. You can configure the privacy settings to your liking.
Meh I should've just that, would've saved a lot of time :joy: No point trying to change people with tin foils hats though, entitled to dump or remove stuff from his PC, what??? That doesn't happen at all, people need to stop this crap. I mean don't get me wrong, I don't trust them when it comes to gaming (yet) but OS is what they do and do best, they wouldn't do anything to intentionally cripple that.

As for his bit about SSD, I've had one (2 actually) for years, and it's still faster in Windows 10 than 7, so yea it does still make a difference. And you need to learn more about what OS uses Ram for, it doesn't matter if you have 8 or 16 or 64gb, having it stored means it's processing data, which means it slows down the PC, so yes it does matter that the OS is using less Ram. It means less processes are going on under the hood as its been streamlined.

All sounds passive aggressive, but I'm just telling it like it is.  

RubyRuby said:
My AMD problem was with laptop graphics drivers.  Maybe they weren't missing, just taking a time out.  I gave them four days to show, but that game does not age well.

The MS problem wasn't with their spying, just with me knowing what's going in or out of my PC.  As for dodgy activities, I'm not engaged in any but it looks like MS is.  The software is from MS, but the PC is mine and that's where MS thinks they are entitled to dump or remove anything whether I want it or not, whether I know what it is, or not.  That doesn't seem dodgy to you?

I have a couple of SSDs for the PC, so I reckon I'll be getting much faster boots soon without Win10.  I am content with 1080p and 60fps.  And RAM is cheap, especially if I stick with DDR3 for a while longer.  I don't need the best tech, just sufficient tech.  As for privacy, I don't have anything to hide but that doesn't make my privacy less important.  Generalities are insufficient and I'm still dubious.  I'm willing to give Win10 another try, but not until I see solid reasons to do so.  I'm aware that eventually I'll have to give up on Win7, but not yet.
Oh yea, one more thing, you've got until July 29th to find some solid reasons. After that, Windows 10 will no longer be free.

Do you have a second PC or a laptop you don't use all that often you could do the upgrade on? If you do, I'd do that and have another go at getting used to it, and exploring the OS to see what it offers, and what you can change to suit your preferences.

Hughesy said:
...All sounds passive aggressive, but I'm just telling it like it is.

You sound aggressive aggressive, but I'm just telling it like it is.

If your approach to evangelizing the virtues of Windows 10 is to personally insult people who aren't yet eager to wholeheartedly jump right into it (saying they're just "moaning" & being "paranoid" "with tin foil hats"), then that only makes me even more reluctant to consider your point of view.

I've installed Windows 10 on another computer & I've read a number of things about Windows 10 on various technically-oriented websites, so I've learned enough about it first-hand & from numerous sources to make up my own damn mind about it...

...But I'm supposed to just ignore all that because some hot-head on a video game forum starts spouting off about what a moaning, paranoid, tin-foil-hat-wearing fool I must be to patiently hold off on switching when there's absolutely no urgent need to switch immediately?

Uh, no. You do what you want with your setup. I'll do what I want with mine. If you want to insult me for it, that says far more about you than it says about anyone else.

So I try and help a guy and you barge in? He asked for advice, I gave it. Not sure what was hot headed with my post? I explained every single point I made.

Please if you have something to add from actual respectable 'tech websites'  then feel free to post it and actually add to the discussion, because all you've done is go on the attack rather than helping. Not sure where I've insulted you considering I wasn't even talking to you but there you go.

Thanks, Operator.  Nice to hear from the other gene pool.  I remain not persuaded that Win10 is worth the hassle.  Not sure why a different point of view arouses such passionate defense of what in my own experience is a net neutral at best (and that's being generous).  I'll be moving along.

Well, have fun paying £85/$119 when you eventually have to upgrade, but you didn't listen to those 2 guys on the forum who in the end were only trying to save you money and help you improve your experience with a better OS.