The Game Thread!

Mexicola said:
Lads, I'm actually excited about an F1 game now. I can't believe it yoooo

Agreed I haven't been this fired up for an F1 game either for quite a while at least 2 or 3 years anyway. Certainly not since 2012 came out anyway.

Just finished the new Doom, I'll honestly be surprised if I play another game this year and enjoy it as much as I have this! 

Right, time to up the difficulty and do the New Game+ :) 

Just finished the new Doom, I'll honestly be surprised if I play another game this year and enjoy it as much as I have this! 

Right, time to up the difficulty and do the New Game+ :) 

I'm just about to start my proper playthrough of it.

Played Ark for over 700 hours now, currently playing a full conversation mod called annunaki. There's tameable alphas but also a new type called badass. They are bigger with better stats and can be either fire, ice or poison type, it's awesome!
Also wild dino levels are higher, Max is like 650 instead of 120. :open_mouth:  Here's some of the badass Dinos.

Ark turns a year old today,  they've crammed  so much content in a short space of time, especially being a small developer. 

Good news,  it was silly anyway as the UK is currently in the EU @PlayStationUK's Tweet: https://twitter.com/PlayStationUK/status/738714079381102592?s=09

Looks like Fifa is switching to the Frostbite engine this year.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/06/01/sources-fifa-17-begins-ea-sports-full-transition-to-frostbite-engine.aspx

Not suer it's a good idea personally because whilst it works well for shooters and worked quite well for DAI and I think it'll work well for MEA as well given it's a mix of shooter meets RPG. I'm not so sure it'll work that well for Fifa and personally I'd keep the Ignite one because I think it does work fine.

I bought Stranded Deep the other day, its a really good game, looks great, the survival stuff seems good and it looks like the devs are keen on improving it. However, I got extremely anxious whenever I was in the ocean, or swimming near boats for loot, etc, so much so that it wasn't fun. Glad Steam does refunds! xD

Platy said:
I bought Stranded Deep the other day, its a really good game, looks great, the survival stuff seems good and it looks like the devs are keen on improving it. However, I got extremely anxious whenever I was in the ocean, or swimming near boats for loot, etc, so much so that it wasn't fun. Glad Steam does refunds! xD
I tried it a while back now and it was pretty much the exact same experience for me lol. Was quite happy on the islands, and even paddling the life raft between them was pretty fun (unless it was dark). But going in the water made me super nervous. Probably doesn't help that in real life the ocean and boats generally scare the crap out of me anyway lol.

And that's why I've never played Subnautica ;) 

Apparently people have already started leaking footage of F1 2016, even though the closed beta has been out for less than 24 hours.

Apparently people have already started leaking footage of F1 2016, even though the closed beta has been out for less than 24 hours.
Got any links? A quick YT search shows nothing.

Also I'm guessing none of us from Off-Topic who applied got a code right?

Na, they're being taken down pretty fast (apparently). 

I was going to, but they only had codes for the PS4 for the EU. Australia...Europe...close enough.

Got any links? A quick YT search shows nothing.

Also I'm guessing none of us from Off-Topic who applied got a code right?
Yeah I saw one but it was taken down just after I finished watching it. It seems CM have been pouncing on these very quickly almost as if they were ready for it which they probably were. Looked similar to 2015 to me graphics wise. They've made some changes to the hud as it looks a bit like the hud they used on the older games. Personally I'm more interested in the career mode and what that entails than the general graphics though as I knew they'd be similar to 2015 anyway.

Well I just finished my first career mode season in F1 2015 (played as Kyvat, came 2nd). What a total anti-climax that was, all that it tells you at the end of the season is your teammate battle stats and where you came in the drivers/constructors championship. Hoping there's a huge work over of the career mode in 2016 because I currently have no motivation to do another season on that game.

Well I just finished my first career mode season in F1 2015 (played as Kyvat, came 2nd). What a total anti-climax that was, all that it tells you at the end of the season is your teammate battle stats and where you came in the drivers/constructors championship. Hoping there's a huge work over of the career mode in 2016 because I currently have no motivation to do another season on that game.

yeah it is a little bit compared to the older ones it's still fun to race but it's not really up to the usual CM standard.

You know, I wonder, how did chromatic aberration find its way into video games? Or better yet, how did the bloke who came up with it justify it?

Pillock: You know what, dear? Today at work, I've added a completely new effect to our shiny new game.
Pillock's wife: Oh, that's lovely. What does it do?
Pillock: Well, it makes the game look worse.
Pillock's wife: But, why would you want your game to look worse..? Ah, I know. It saves resources, right?
Pillock: No, love. It doesn't.
Pillock's wife: So, this new effect makes the game look worse, and it doesn't improve performance of the game?
Pillock: Correct, dear! This is quite possible the best idea I've had since motion blur and the lens flare effect in first-person gam-
Pillock's wife: I want a divorce!

That's how I'd like to imagine it at least.

Finally getting round to playing to playing my first rogue on Dragon Age Origins have to admit going into stealth mode and launching sneaky attacks on my own is really fun and then just when they think they've got me sussed I call the calvary in to send their rear ends flying. A tactic that's been working really well for me so far.

I guess this is the most appropriate thread for this.

The Vive is amazing! The biggest problem I have with it is that I need a bigger bedroom to take advantage of the roomscale features, but other than that it's so good. Everything I've played so far feels natural, immersive and just works. I was playing some Job Simulator, which is hilarious, and I kept moving out of the way of cars as if it was real and would have hit me.

Installing a couple more games, will try it on Assetto Corsa tomorrow with my wheel so I'll feedback after that. As for what I've played, Job Simulator is great, Tilt Brush is so fun for a piece of drawing software, The Lab is good, the only thing I've played on there is Longbow which is fun and now my arms hurt. Definitely worth the money, I might get fit from it too.

Looks like Fifa is switching to the Frostbite engine this year.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/06/01/sources-fifa-17-begins-ea-sports-full-transition-to-frostbite-engine.aspx

Not suer it's a good idea personally because whilst it works well for shooters and worked quite well for DAI and I think it'll work well for MEA as well given it's a mix of shooter meets RPG. I'm not so sure it'll work that well for Fifa and personally I'd keep the Ignite one because I think it does work fine.

having thought about it some more and reading this

http://fifa17game.com/fifa-17-release-date-cover-athletes-trailer-new-features.html

It's got me wondering whether the move might actually work well for the series yes faces and people in general aren't great on Frostbite but given time it might improve. The idea of introducing wind into the game sounds interesting if it works well. Only time will tell I guess.

Happy it's working well for you @Platy   it's just going to get better and better as well. My next purchase will be this monitor if nothing else goes wrong on me

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-acer-xb271hu-g-sync-led-monitor-165hz-ips-panel-2560x1440-4ms-1000000001-hdmi-dp-usb-2x-speakers-

The PS+ games this month are sweet! Well done Sony, last couple of months have been decent.

Platy said:
 I guess this is the most appropriate thread for this.

The Vive is amazing! The biggest problem I have with it is that I need a bigger bedroom to take advantage of the roomscale features, but other than that it's so good. Everything I've played so far feels natural, immersive and just works. I was playing some Job Simulator, which is hilarious, and I kept moving out of the way of cars as if it was real and would have hit me.

Installing a couple more games, will try it on Assetto Corsa tomorrow with my wheel so I'll feedback after that. As for what I've played, Job Simulator is great, Tilt Brush is so fun for a piece of drawing software, The Lab is good, the only thing I've played on there is Longbow which is fun and now my arms hurt. Definitely worth the money, I might get fit from it too.
My Google Cardboard came through today! :smiley:

Yea, your Vive wins hands down :(

The focus on the lenses just doesn't work for my eyes, half the apps don't actually work properly, and it's uncomfortable on the bridge of my nose thanks to the straps being too tight. But on the apps that do work, like the VR rollercoaster one, I can totally see how amazing a Vive must be when a piece of cardboard and a phone strapped to my face can make me feel like I'm actually on a rollercoaster :p