The Game Thread!

Get it right, it's Master race :p But Yea prices for games on new consoles are pretty ridiculous. 

The only time I've got a game for under £50 (and £49.99 doesn't count) was when I got NFS 2015 really late in like March so I got it for £40 otherwise it's £50 or more

Hughesy said:
Just pre-ordered F1 16 on Steam, I wish it was out this Friday. I haven't been this excited about an F1 game since F1 2010 :D

Yeah I preordered it from Shopto so looking forward to it showing up and I have to admit I've not been this fired up about an F1 game like this since then either. Guess I now know how Hamilton's Mercedes engine feels like :p

Just won a race at Monaco on F1 2015 I feel so proud of myself. I've only ever won it a handful of times and all on the 2012 game. Was tough at the end though as I was pushed all the way by Rosberg and he really put a lot of pressure on me as I was trying to lap cars.

Just had a great race on F1 15 at Singapore. Hardest difficulty, 50 distance with McLaren. I qualified 5th, half a second faster than Alonso. In the race I battled with Bottas the whole race, I managed to beat him and come 4th. Before this race I was mostly battling to get into the points, so this result felt amazing. 

Hughesy said:
Just had a great race on F1 15 at Singapore. Hardest difficulty, 50 distance with McLaren. I qualified 5th, half a second faster than Alonso. In the race I battled with Bottas the whole race, I managed to beat him and come 4th. Before this race I was mostly battling to get into the points, so this result felt amazing. 

Sounds like we're both in good form then on our championships. Racing as Hamilton in mine. Won every race so far including last nights Monaco race just made it 7 on the bounce in Canada. I'm starting to wonder whether I'll get all 19. Never done that before but it might happen the form I'm in atm.

I think some drunk driving in F1 15 is on tonight, strangely I tend to do well when I've had a few :joy:

Grim Dawn is currently on sale with a 40%-off discount on both GOG (DRM-free) & Steam. Tons of very positive reviews. I bought it & I've enjoyed the first couple hours of it so far. Solid Diablo-esque ARPG. It looks, sounds, plays, & works great.

Victor Vran is another ARPG I've been enjoying for a couple months. It frequently goes on sale with deep discounts (DRM-free at GOG) & I highly recommend it. Victor Vran offers a bit more player mobility than some other ARPGs, giving you the ability to evasively roll to dodge enemy attacks, and allowing you to jump.

I'm not a hardcore ARPG player, but I enjoy playing them casually for fun. Both of these games have felt comfortable to pick-up-&-play without much fuss, while also having plenty of in-game/on-screen info to smoothly guide the player through the more in-depth leveling & character/class-building stats.

Hughesy said:

Sounds like we're both in good form then on our championships. Racing as Hamilton in mine. Won every race so far including last nights Monaco race just made it 7 on the bounce in Canada. I'm starting to wonder whether I'll get all 19. Never done that before but it might happen the form I'm in atm.

Well that's 15 out of 15 now. Just won at Suzuka another of my bogey tracks it's already a record for me but just 4 more to go. I've got a feeling I'm going to do it. Usually I don't win more than 12 or 13 races in a season so this is special.

Found out I really like the Sochi track, came 4th and battled with Kimi the whole race. Wasn't really a fan of the track before, but now every lap felt awesome, I was actually faster than the Mercs in the final sector with my McLaren  B)

Hughesy said:
Found out I really like the Sochi track, came 4th and battled with Kimi the whole race. Wasn't really a fan of the track before, but now every lap felt awesome, I was actually faster than the Mercs in the final sector with my McLaren  B)
It's a track I really like too :) I'm not a huge fan of the last sector, but everything from turn 1 to Sainz's crash corner has a great flow.

Sainz crash corner :joy: I hope they name that corner that. 

So if we race on it you can get ahead in the first two, then I can catch you in the final sector. Not sure why I didn't like it before, it's a really nice circuit. 

Hughesy said:
Sainz crash corner :joy: I hope they name that corner that. 

So if we race on it you can get ahead in the first two, then I can catch you in the final sector. Not sure why I didn't like it before, it's a really nice circuit. 
Easier to describe it that way than any other way :p

Lol, I'm not so sure about that ;) I may not like the final sector so much, but I'm not slow through it heh.

Hughesy said:

yeah I enjoy the Sochi track enjoyed it in F1 2014 as well. Sometimes is a bit of a struggle in the wet but in the dry I'm pretty handy around it

I sense another Rosberg/Hamilton type battle happening between me and Schumacher on F1 2012. :p We're both leading the championship and there's only 5 points between us after 3 races he's on 52 while I'm on 47 we've both won a race each as well.

Turns out No Mans Sky is awesome, it's been getting undeserved hate I feel on Steam. I'm glad I was wrong, as originally I wasn't going to get it. 

Hughesy said:
Turns out No Mans Sky is awesome, it's been getting undeserved hate I feel on Steam. I'm glad I was wrong, as originally I wasn't going to get it. 
I gave it a positive review :p Any game that can get me to spend 20 of the 49 hours since it's release in the game deserves some positivity!

Hughesy said:
I feel the exact opposite.

The first few hours were enjoyable, but now after only 12 hours, I can hardly be bothered to boot up the game.
Every planet features the exact same things to discover. A few buildings, a few monoliths, a few weird animals. And some planets are just dead, and not worth to visit at all.
You gather resources to traverse to a different system, only for you to gather some more resources so you can travel to the next system. Learning languages is tiresome and ultimately does not seem to pay off.

Sure, it features a massive playground, but there is no depth to it whatsoever. It feels like a massive tech demo, but not a full fledged game. Not yet at least.

Been watching my boy play it on the PS4 and lost interest quite quickly. He'll normally play a game to death but has barely played it since getting it. 

Fixed his ship, found a few dead planets and then found one which was virtually identical to the original one. What's the point of having 18 quantillion planets if that's all there is available? 

For me every planet I've been to has been very different. Some planets are peaceful, some not. I think a lot of people are missing the point of this game, it's not a high action game, although I have had space battles with ships. Its an exploration game with some survival elements.

Procedural generation can throw up things that look similar, it's not new technology, but they have done it better and on a bigger scale than any other game that uses it. 

It's OK not go for lots of action, it's not what I expected. But there is simply nothing to do. You can't build anything - apart from a few little upgrades - the planets biggest differences usually are the colour palette, and the interaction with aliens fall flat on their face after a few hours, 'cos they always feel the same.

And another thing:
https://twitter.com/Britbongreturns/status/765190830894317568

When did they ever say it was going to be a base building game? I think it's been pretty clear what the game was before release.

I'm not really seeing your point with that video, you aren't always going to find cool things on each planet, procedural generation is always going to create some ugly stuff, funny video though. so far I've seen a massive T-rex looking thing and this, which had little baby aliens/dinos but you can't see them in the picture.

I've met different aliens that give me stuff, like one wanted me to give him the multi tool, and he gave me a much better one. 15 hours in and I couldn't be happier, it's exactly what I wanted. You can't please everyone, some happy, some aren't.