The Game Thread!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtmEjqzg7M

Compared to the trailer it almost feels like a barren wasteland. Of course, making your game look far more vibrant and lively is par of the course in today's game development. It's still a disappointment, all in all.

Yeah, that's what pretty much all of the encounters boil down to. Multi tool, new word, a different ship, or a vendor. Same with the buildings. It's amazing really, how it seems like the same architect was able to find work on every single planet in this vast universe. Even more so as it does seem like most systems are dominated by one alien species, yet the buildings all look the same. So not only are you as the player incapable of building something, but all the aliens out there suffer from the same fate.
And it's true, they never promised base building, however, it would finally give the resources more purpose. As of now they're mostly fuel and money.

At the moment it simply plays like an early access game. It has its moments, but I never feel compelled to return to it. Maybe the ability to interact with other players would have motivated me to do so, but as we learned, we are unable to do so.

Hughesy said:
Turns out No Mans Sky is awesome, it's been getting undeserved hate I feel on Steam. I'm glad I was wrong, as originally I wasn't going to get it. 
I feel the exact opposite.

The first few hours were enjoyable, but now after only 12 hours, I can hardly be bothered to boot up the game.
Every planet features the exact same things to discover. A few buildings, a few monoliths, a few weird animals. And some planets are just dead, and not worth to visit at all.
You gather resources to traverse to a different system, only for you to gather some more resources so you can travel to the next system. Learning languages is tiresome and ultimately does not seem to pay off.

Sure, it features a massive playground, but there is no depth to it whatsoever. It feels like a massive tech demo, but not a full fledged game. Not yet at least.
Would the term as large as an ocean but as deep as a puddle apply here then?

What's the point asking him that when it's clear he thinks that. @RevolvingPrawn and  I are having a blast in it, up until yesterday I wasn't going to get it due to what I now is Bull posted on Steam forum. People play Call Of Duty and love it, yet it's as deep as child's paddling pool. 

I question how far people have got in the game if they don't think there's any progression. 

Some people got caught into the hype and didn't stop to think if it would be a game they would enjoy. Happens with so many games these days.

I'm keeping my eye on it, not sure if I want to get it yet. It looks good from what I've seen but not sure if it's enough to keep me interested.

Hughesy said:
What's the point asking him that when it's clear he thinks that. @RevolvingPrawn and  I are having a blast in it, up until yesterday I wasn't going to get it due to what I now is Bull posted on Steam forum. People play Call Of Duty and love it, yet it's as deep as child's paddling pool. 

I question how far people have got in the game if they don't think there's any progression. 
15 hours so far. But I already started looking for a different game to occupy me.

And ultimately, I shouldn't complain too much, as the game was a gift and I probably shouldn't be bothered about it too much not hitting my nerve.

Hughesy said:

Call of Duty has a lot of replayability to be fair,  although I can't speak for No Mans Sky as I've not played it. I have seen a lot of mixed things, some people, like yourself, are loving it and others are finding it to be quite boring after a few hours. So it really doesn't make me want to buy it for full price, especially since I wasted £50 on Destiny after buying into hype...

Seriously considering buying it for PS4 when it comes out, don't know whether to do that or wait till I upgrade my PC.

Hughesy said:
I already have it preloaded on Steam B)    
Well luckily thanks to buying the disc version it'll only take a few minute4s to install. Once it's in my hands of course. :p
RevolvingPrawn said:
got an e-mail earlier saying my copy of F1 2016 is on the way now I really do feel pumped.
Where did you order from? Still waiting on my key from GMG.
Shopto I decided to go with them this year Given Game an Amazon sending me my pre-orders late in recent times seems like my change in tactics has worked.

Jesus goddamn Christ. I think we all knew that Konami left unchecked with the Metal Gear Solid franchise was probably not such a great idea, but wormholes and zombies? Are they fucking serious?! Looks like MGS is about to be raped by a company that doesn't give 2 shits about it's legacy now that Hideo Kojima is gone. It's as if some boardroom jackass has decided that zombies are popular, and MGS is their biggest franchise, so combine the 2 = $$$.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/08/17/gamescom-2016-konami-announces-metal-gear-survive

I would say I'm shocked, but I'm not. This is one of many reasons he left... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8P2CZg3sJQ
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4y1h9i/wheres_the_no_mans_sky_we_were_sold_on_a_big_list/

What a joke this game truly is. Black & White and Spore must be so damn proud of their newest colleague.

Platy said:
Is F1 2016 out on this Friday?                

Yes it is my copy has already been dispatched by Shopto although I'm still waiting for it hopefully I should have it tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8P2CZg3sJQ

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4y1h9i/wheres_the_no_mans_sky_we_were_sold_on_a_big_list/

What a joke this game truly is. Black & White and Spore must be so damn proud of their newest colleague.

It's a reflection of the current general state of "mainstream" gaming: game companies over-promise/over-hype & under-deliver, while gamers/customers viciously turn against each other in a bitter war of defensive apologists ("fanboys") versus critics pointing out legitimate issues ("entitled, impatient, whining haters"). I see the exact same drama seemingly copied-&-pasted almost word-for-word across many different game "communities."

It's really funny to see defenders argue in favor of the games they like while they criticize games they don't like for the exact same reasons they argue against when defending the games they do like. Their favorites are apparently exempt from their own "logic."

You oversimplied things there, sure there are vicious defenders of games and there are people who have legit criticisms. Don't forget about the people who project hate on the game just as much as the defenders protect it.

Then there's the majority of gamers who just don't give a shit and enjoy the game for what it is and don't spend their time online arguing over every little legitimate or illegitimate complaint.

Platy said:
You oversimplied things there, sure there are vicious defenders of games and there are people who have legit criticisms. Don't forget about the people who project hate on the game just as much as the defenders protect it.

Then there's the majority of gamers who just don't give a **** and enjoy the game for what it is and don't spend their time online arguing over every little legitimate or illegitimate complaint.
Indeed I know I certainly do just as I plan on enjoying F1 2016 now it's arrived

Platy said:

Then there's the majority of gamers who just don't give a **** and enjoy the game for what it is and don't spend their time online arguing over every little legitimate or illegitimate complaint.
Indeed I know I certainly do just as I plan on enjoying F1 2016 now it's arrived
Your ShopTo preorder came a day early then? They're great for that :)

It's a PC copy yea? Hopefully it lets you play instead of having to activate it through Steam dude

Someone on Reddit has been playing it on Xbox1. On my phone so can't link but the subreddit is F1game if you want to try and find it.