The Game Thread!

Hughesy said:
Uh it's a Steam game Dave, he won't be able to play before its unlocked  :p
I do know it's a Steam game dude :p But there was a small amount of hope lol.
There's no such thing as hope these days bud :p

I'm actively avoiding gameplay videos as I want to find it out myself. Not too long now, but I've been sick all day so I'm not even sure I'll play it tonight :/

Hughesy said:

Yeah I can't touch it before it unlocks I've already tried. :p I'm just glad this disc arrived in time though especially given the last few games I've ordered from Game and Amazon arrived at least 1 day later than they should have.

Platy said:
Someone on Reddit has been playing it on Xbox1. On my phone so can't link but the subreddit is F1game if you want to try and find it.

Yeah there's plenty of vids on he F1 forum if anyone wants to check it over look a the New Gameplay thread.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/43110/new-gameplay#latest

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
I do know it's a Steam game dude :p But there was a small amount of hope lol.
There's no such thing as hope these days bud :p

I'm actively avoiding gameplay videos as I want to find it out myself. Not too long now, but I've been sick all day so I'm not even sure I'll play it tonight :/

yeah everything I've been watching has made me more pumped for it. I'll likely only do a few 3 lap style races tonight on it though and have a look a the time of day editor at some of the tracks maybe do a quick race around Baku or something like that  to have a look at that track. But I'll likely save the serious stuff until tomorrow

So after nearly 2 hours of practice, had my first race on F1 2016 a little while ago. Decided to go for Baku as Ricciardo, Expert AI, no assists. Not gonna write loads though because it's close to 3:30am and I'm a bit tired!

In practice I was only 19th, but managed to get 5 seconds quicker than my first proper lap over the space of about 30 mins, and I was using the hardest compound.

Qualified 6th with a 1:45.453, Verstappen was down in 14th 0.8s off my lap, pretty happy with that!

Proceed to race, it's raining, fuck. Formation lap was kinda cool, didn't crash. Had a good start with the clutch and made up 1 place to 5th. The 4 cars ahead (2 Mercs, 2 Ferrari's) pulled a 4 second gap on me, I pulled a 4 second gap on Massa behind and it stayed like that for a while. Starts to dry though and I'm losing time. So pit for softs to go to the end, the first lap on them is super slippery, but when they warm up the grip gets good.
Second lap on the softs Raikkonen spins at the castle, safety car comes out, I'm in 4th. Start racing again, still 4th, starts to rain again not long later. Pit for inters, whole field comes in and even though there's gaps I get held in the pit box and lose 9 seconds, lost 3 places while I'm shouting at the screen.
Managed to overtake Vettel, and then Nasr to move up to 5th, and then finished there because the car in 4th had disappeared thanks to Nasr being slow and the pit lane hold up.

Top 10:
  1. Hamilton
  2. Alonso
  3. Grosjean
  4. Sainz
  5. Ricciardo (me)
  6. Vettel
  7. Nasr
  8. Rosberg
  9. Massa
  10. Wherlein
The only reason Alonso and Grosjean finished on the podium was thanks to every car pitting at the same time and the game not slotting the leading cars back out into gaps that were big enough, which is just a bit shit!
Other than that though, it's actually pretty damn good, a lot better than 2015. The AI is improved, much faster than they've been before it seems, and they don't back out as much as others have claimed (side by side with Raikkonen between turns 4 and 5 and he came out on top). The cars are harder to drive, except they feel like they have a bit more grip and more weight than 2015. The coolest thing to me is just how immense the sense of speed feels in cockpit view on Baku's 2 DRS straights, it's so damn easy to miss the braking markers, lock up trying to make the turn, and then take a wheel off on the barrier. My first few practice laps were pretty much that repeated at the end of each of the straights lol.

So far, even after only having done some practice laps at Silverstone, and then a race weekend at Baku, I'd already give this an 8/10. Onto career mode tomorrow!

So after nearly 2 hours of practice, had my first race on F1 2016 a little while ago. Decided to go for Baku as Ricciardo, Expert AI, no assists. Not gonna write loads though because it's close to 3:30am and I'm a bit tired!

In practice I was only 19th, but managed to get 5 seconds quicker than my first proper lap over the space of about 30 mins, and I was using the hardest compound.

Qualified 6th with a 1:45.453, Verstappen was down in 14th 0.8s off my lap, pretty happy with that!

Proceed to race, it's raining, ****. Formation lap was kinda cool, didn't crash. Had a good start with the clutch and made up 1 place to 5th. The 4 cars ahead (2 Mercs, 2 Ferrari's) pulled a 4 second gap on me, I pulled a 4 second gap on Massa behind and it stayed like that for a while. Starts to dry though and I'm losing time. So pit for softs to go to the end, the first lap on them is super slippery, but when they warm up the grip gets good.
Second lap on the softs Raikkonen spins at the castle, safety car comes out, I'm in 4th. Start racing again, still 4th, starts to rain again not long later. Pit for inters, whole field comes in and even though there's gaps I get held in the pit box and lose 9 seconds, lost 3 places while I'm shouting at the screen.
Managed to overtake Vettel, and then Nasr to move up to 5th, and then finished there because the car in 4th had disappeared thanks to Nasr being slow and the pit lane hold up.

Top 10:
  1. Hamilton
  2. Alonso
  3. Grosjean
  4. Sainz
  5. Ricciardo (me)
  6. Vettel
  7. Nasr
  8. Rosberg
  9. Massa
  10. Wherlein
The only reason Alonso and Grosjean finished on the podium was thanks to every car pitting at the same time and the game not slotting the leading cars back out into gaps that were big enough, which is just a bit ****!
Other than that though, it's actually pretty damn good, a lot better than 2015. The AI is improved, much faster than they've been before it seems, and they don't back out as much as others have claimed (side by side with Raikkonen between turns 4 and 5 and he came out on top). The cars are harder to drive, except they feel like they have a bit more grip and more weight than 2015. The coolest thing to me is just how immense the sense of speed feels in cockpit view on Baku's 2 DRS straights, it's so damn easy to miss the braking markers, lock up trying to make the turn, and then take a wheel off on the barrier. My first few practice laps were pretty much that repeated at the end of each of the straights lol.

So far, even after only having done some practice laps at Silverstone, and then a race weekend at Baku, I'd already give this an 8/10. Onto career mode tomorrow!

yeah I have to agree with your assessment there I've not done a long race yet but I've done a few 3 lap ones as Massa and I've definitely found the car tricky to handle almost like it's struggling for downforce which it probably is given it's a Williams but I've had a lot of fun so far. I think with a bit of practice I can get used to the game though and it's not too different from 2015 in it's difficulty which I was quiet pleased with given I felt quite comfortable with the easier settings on 2015. I would probably give it a similar score 8 or 8.5. Will likely start a champoinship season on the game tomorrow and move onto career when I finish that. I did 3 races. One at Baku which I crashed out of because I didn't realise I had damage on. 1 at Singapore in daylight which looks really good btw and my 3rd one at midnight at Abu Dhabi which again looks really spectacular both in daylight and at night. I did manage to win both the Singapore and Abu Dhabi races though although not by much. I definitely felt the pressuer being piled on me in those races even to the point where I unfortunately  caused Vettel to crash in Singapore when defending myself. Unfortunately he was forced to retire but it was a fun race. 

Starting to feel they should maybe have named this 'F1 Drift 2016'.

If you're coming out of a corner with any amount of steering angle and start to accelerate, you'll slide. Accelerate with any part of a tyre on the kerbs, you'll slide. And they've made it harder to actually catch the slides, so right now driving with a controller and minimal aids isn't proving to be a huge amount of fun.

I like the changes to the physics, what I don't like is the lack of feedback using a wheel. Now that I've been to see my nephew to give him his birthday present I can finally focus on the game. I have a lot of setup work to do in practice 2, as I'm a second slower than Button. 

I'd certainly class this as a sim now, really really enjoying it the longer I play. Practice sessions are great now, also one mistake and it can be all over which it should be. Damage can be taken easily which I've been hoping for. I'm still not getting the feedback I'd like, but I'm improving it. The McLaren is a tricky beast but it's fun, I love it. 

I'm still slower than Button, I'm not lowering the difficulty though, I'm determined to get better. 

Boom just went a second faster than my team mate in Q2, all that work in practice has paid off  :D

Right, looks like I'm not purchasing F1 2016. For now, that is.

Spotted a potential bug in a stream. The cars didn't bunch up entirely even after 5 laps behind the safety car, which not only is weird, but defeats one of the purposes to have the bloody thing in the game.
And then there's still this dreaded bug where a limping car on the racing line is holding everyone else up. An issue that has been in the game since F1 2015.

I did enjoy the handling from the beta, and the career mode looks alright, but if you can't fix a bleeping issue that has been in last year's game, then I can't be bothered to spent money on your product. 

Hughesy said:
I like the changes to the physics, what I don't like is the lack of feedback using a wheel. Now that I've been to see my nephew to give him his birthday present I can finally focus on the game. I have a lot of setup work to do in practice 2, as I'm a second slower than Button. 

I'd certainly class this as a sim now, really really enjoying it the longer I play. Practice sessions are great now, also one mistake and it can be all over which it should be. Damage can be taken easily which I've been hoping for. I'm still not getting the feedback I'd like, but I'm improving it. The McLaren is a tricky beast but it's fun, I love it. 

I'm still slower than Button, I'm not lowering the difficulty though, I'm determined to get better. 

yeah I agree it's definitely more sim like this year as it feels like it in the Williams as well. I'm slightly quicker than Bottas on my difficulty but the difference is only about half a second so I'm quite happy with the difficulty I've got. The Williams feels like it's got plenty of raw power at it's disposal but I do find I have to slow it down a little more than I did in previous games due to the car lacking a bit of downforce (which it should given the real Williams does) and because of this even on tracks where I'm pretty strong I've not been running away into the distance that much but that's the experience I've had so far. Only just done Australia in Championship season my first 25% race and only just came away with the win as I only beat Rosberg by only 2/3 seconds I think as he was right behind me the whole way. I've got a feeling this is going to be just as much fun as racing the F1 2012 AI based on my experiences thus far and I've had some great battles with F1 2012's AI.

I haven't had this fun in an F1 game since GP4, just don't listen to the engineer. In my first race I got the perfect manual start, just went like a rocket and made a few places up. All was well until I let the engineer change my strategy, I went from fighting for points to finishing 17th :joy: Still had a lot of fun though. It finally feels like a complete F1 game. 

Hughesy said:
I haven't had this fun in an F1 game since GP4, just don't listen to the engineer. In my first race I got the perfect manual start, just went like a rocket and made a few places up. All was well until I let the engineer change my strategy, I went from fighting for points to finishing 17th :joy: Still had a lot of fun though. It finally feels like a complete F1 game. 
Just done Australia career race (McLaren) and I should have listened to the engineer :D

Start went well, even ran in 4th place for half a lap thanks to the Ferrari's going side by side and slowing down the cars behind them lol. By lap 4 I'd dropped down to 6th place but was able to keep Verstappen behind me, he couldn't get me even with DRS. Decided to pit at the end of lap 4 for a set of softs. Did fine on those for ages, did 12 laps on them and they were wearing pretty badly, but I ignored that because there was rain coming and I wanted to try and avoid an extra stop. For the last few laps of those tyres the engineer was constantly telling me about new strategies. I got a front left puncture halfway through the 13th lap on the softs :( Pitted for another set of softs, did 1 lap on those and pitted for inters cos it had bloody started raining. (Really wishing at this point I'd done an extra lap or 2 on the super softs at the start). I was in last place at this point. More cars started pitting for inters so I moved up to 17th with a fairly large gap to the cars ahead. Managed to close that down, made some moves, overtook Alonso and Erricsson in the same corner which got me to 14th. Then Rosberg came to lap me so I brake checked him, goodbye Rosberg front wing, hello Raikkonen win ;) Was much faster than Magnussen to the end, caught and passed him with 3 corners left to race.

I hate the practice session challenge things, they're far too damn strict about what you gotta do, quali is good, but the races on this are top shelf. And for a racing game, good races are the most important thing of course :p

You obviously have a better engineer even though we are in the same team :joy:

Challenges were pretty easy for me at the next race, first lap doing the qualifying sim I got not just the first target time but also the next target. I do love racing at Bahrain so maybe that's why, but Yea I actually like the challenges a lot. 

Hughesy said:
You obviously have a better engineer even though we are in the same team :joy:

Challenges were pretty easy for me at the next race, first lap doing the qualifying sim I got not just the first target time but also the next target. I do love racing at Bahrain so maybe that's why, but Yea I actually like the challenges a lot. 
Yeah I love racing at Bahrain as well one of my strongest tracks in these games in fact just about to race it in my championship season.

Must be said the lighting and audio have also taken a huge step forward, Bahrain qualifying looks awesome. The McLaren seems to have that rough sound (which I love)  off throttle, not sure if they all sound the same as I've only driven the McLaren but still. 

Chris Hughes is on fire, your team is terrified, nanna nnan naana

I said I loved this track, but wasn't expecting this.

Got to admit I love the new MFD (multi functional display) system it makes it far easier to change things on the fly as well.

Hughesy said:

I said I loved this track, but wasn't expecting this.

Already told you I got pole with a 1:33.5 at Bahrain, but I've done the race now, ended up 3rd :) Raikkonen had a puncture on lap 2, and then proceeded to do a Monaco. Next lap round I just miss him at the top of the hill in sector 3, Hamilton scrapes him, Rosberg slows down but gets by, then Vettel and Verstappen smack straight into him and all 3 are out lol.

After that Rosberg very slowly closed me down, then undercut me in the pit stops, and after that I had to nurse my tires for the second and third stint until the end. Finished 12 seconds ahead of Bottas, and 9 behind Rosberg.

If I'm this competitive again at the next race then it'll be time to up the difficulty I think.

You had performance enhancing Tiger blood though. 

My race got messed up, and it was frustrating. Just before the last corner on the lap I was coming in for my first stop my rear right burst. Up until then I was holding second easily. I lost many places because of it, but managed to fight back and came 4th.

Hughesy said:

no mate NO MATE YOU MAY STEAL OUR SIX COUNTIES BUT YOU CANNOT STEAL OUR FIRE OR OUR CULTURE

Haha too late, already did  B)

Right normally I'm not that great at China, but I'm doing really well. Now I have the FFB tuned in I can push harder than previous games. Its taken years to get it right, but they have finally created a full F1 experience. Everything works, I haven't experienced bugs, I have had the virtual safety car and safety car come out and it's perfect. You can tell last year they were so focused on getting F1 on the new consoles they didn't have time to do much. 

Also the PC version is beautiful, last year it was a blurry mess which they tried to fix but couldn't, this year no such issues. If there's one opportunity they missed it's not supporting VR like they added to Dirt. I don't have VR and won't for a long time, but it's enough for some not to buy it even though the game is awesome. 

Hughesy said:
Haha too late, already did  B)

Right normally I'm not that great at China, but I'm doing really well. Now I have the FFB tuned in I can push harder than previous games. Its taken years to get it right, but they have finally created a full F1 experience. Everything works, I haven't experienced bugs, I have had the virtual safety car and safety car come out and it's perfect. You can tell last year they were so focused on getting F1 on the new consoles they didn't have time to do much. 

Also the PC version is beautiful, last year it was a blurry mess which they tried to fix but couldn't, this year no such issues. If there's one opportunity they missed it's not supporting VR like they added to Dirt. I don't have VR and won't for a long time, but it's enough for some not to buy it even though the game is awesome. 
Agreed I've not experienced any bugs at all yet the game has crashed a couple of times but that's all but certainly no more than my other games do. So far it's pretty stable I haven' t seen the safety car yet but then seeing as I generally run with damage off I probably won't be seeing it as much as others. I do have I turned on though and I'm sure it'll make at least one appearance round Monaco knowing my luck. :p