The Game Thread!

Spent 3 hours waiting in my car while my Bro was on his works awards thing. Playing Zelda on the Switch made time go fast. 
I can't stress enough how awesome it felt. A proper game yet I can play it anywhere. It's great to seen the Switch selling so well, as that will push more developers to make games for it. When the Switch was first announced I wasn't so sure about it, but what they have done is simply perfect. 

Why am I even posting this when there's only 1 other person thinking about getting one. I like it so much that if there was a multi platform game I'd seriously think about getting it for Switch rather than PC. 

Yeah i'm pretty much gonna get one this year, sounds like what i hoped the PS Vita would be, quality console gaming on the go. I always thought the Vita was awesome and underrated, but it had a really poor game library! 

The Vita' only problem was Sony not supporting it, it's kinda why I'm bitter towards them. I loved my Vita and it could have been great if Sony supported it like Nintendo did with the 3DS.

Breath Of The Wild just keeps getting better and better. I found out if you have metal armor on,  or are holding a metal shield & sword during a thunderstorm, you will get struck by lightning :joy:

After all this time I still have like half the map to go to, and the areas I have been to haven't been fully explored  :D

Breath Of The Wild just keeps getting better and better. I found out if you have metal armor on,  or are holding a metal shield & sword during a thunderstorm, you will get struck by lightning :joy:

After all this time I still have like half the map to go to, and the areas I have been to haven't been fully explored  :D

Hughesy said:

Souinds like a big game

Sounds like the best game ever tbh, metacritic score currently at 98/100.. I need it in my life aha

There are a small annoying things early in the game. Like stamina, but that can be upgraded. But also if you happen to be climbing and it rains, you will slide down, realistic but annoying lol. Also they seem to be using a double buffer, so if it drops bellow 30fps it momentarily  drops to 20fps which is silly. They did release a patch on the Switch that helps, but it still happens occasionally when docked, when playing handheld its not a problem. 

It's such a big change from previous Zelda's, but still feels like Zelda. It's a shame so many won't get to play it, it's on the scale of The Witcher 3. Just exploring and finding secrets keeps me entertained, and some of the puzzles take a while to figure out. 

I'm playing Wind Waker HD on the Wii U atm, and that still holds up well today even though it's a good 15 years old.

I was playing that a few weeks ago and loved it. Strangely I didn't like the original Gamecube version, mind you they did add some features that made it less frustrating compared to the original. 

Lukedfrt said:
I'm playing Wind Waker HD on the Wii U atm, and that still holds up well today even though it's a good 15 years old.
yeah some games do look good even after they become a decade or so old. Mass Effect 1 is another great example that stands out well imo as well. I'd even argue that the faces they made on the old Unreal engine for the trilogy look much better than ME Andromeda's in some instances although I do think that MEA is looking much better in other areas. Andromeda is looking much better than Inquisition though so they have made steps forward with the tech I think.

Anyone here played Shovel Knight? I'm thinking about buying the full package on Nintendo Switch. It harps back to my youth in terms of game play and graphics, so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it. For those that bought the original Game got all the expansions for free which is cool, so they seem like a decent developer. They aren't free for me, but rewarding original players is cool. 

Wow I have logged 70 hours in Zelda so far  :o

EDIT: I wanted something other to play, so I bought Shovel Knight Treasure Trove, and I'm so glad I did. Yea it's retro graphics from my childhood(well except it's not being played on a extremely low res TV,)  but game play wise it's brilliant. After my previous post I assume nobody here has played it. It seems the reviews were right to gush over it. I'm kinda glad I never bought it on anything else, as the Switch is perfect for it. 

Some guy at work brought his Switch in with him yesterday aha, had a little mess around on Zelda.. Feels quality, loved the joy con controllers as well. 

Forgot to mention this before but I thought I'd point out that if anyone has EA or Origin Access as of today you can play ME Andromeda for up to 10 hours if anyone here is interested. I don't have either so am waiting for the official release next week but I just thought I'd let people here know.

I've seen some negative stuff about MEA. It seems like it's yet another game that has gone open world because it's a great buzz word, then forgot to fill it with interesting stuff. I hope it's not as bad as some of the stuff I've read. It's also not optimised very well, it looks a lot worse than Battlefield, but also runs a lot worse. Mind you DAI was the same, so I guessed this would be the same. 

I loved the first 3, but Bioware haven't been on top form, so I didn't pre order the game. 

Yeah, there's some iffy stuff going on in Andromeda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zUilV_oemg

Still waiting for some proper reviews, but so far it's not looking exactly good.

Hughesy said:
I've seen some negative stuff about MEA. It seems like it's yet another game that has gone open world because it's a great buzz word, then forgot to fill it with interesting stuff. I hope it's not as bad as some of the stuff I've read. It's also not optimised very well, it looks a lot worse than Battlefield, but also runs a lot worse. Mind you DAI was the same, so I guessed this would be the same. 

I loved the first 3, but Bioware haven't been on top form, so I didn't pre order the game. 

yeah there is an element of exploring and gathering resources and all that but it's all optional you don't need to craft it as you can buy a lot of the stuff you need as there are merchants and stuff. The areas are bigger than what DAI's are in general but your vehicle the Nomad as it's called will get you from A to B a lot faster than the DAI horses do. They were more careful about how they filled the open world spaces this time and tried to make it a bit more like Witcher 3 in that regard in that you could come across a few interesting things and missions to do in your travels. Also there are drop points just like the DAI camps which you can call down and set up to make things go quicker too. It does look interesting and while the combat does look a bit fast paced I'm hoping it's not too difficult. I have pre-ordered it as I've ordered the deluxe edition and the preload begins tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it. I enjoyed DAI so I'm pretty suer I'll enjoy this as well.

It's not going to be a big collectathon like DAI is though. There is some but it's mostly only tied to if you want to upgrade your Mattock Assault rifle from a mark 3 to a mark 4 kind of thing then you'll need to gather the resources and blueprints to do so. If your mark 3 Mattock is doing well enough for you then you don't need to do it. It's mostly tied into if you want to upgrade your weapons and armour then you'll need to do that but you do have the option of buying it as well if a merchant is selling it assuming you have the credits. So the option of doing stuff like that you don't have to unless you want to.They've said that they've been very careful not to do the big collecting stuff this time as they did receive a lot of complaints about it but still decided to enable it for things like upgrading weapons and armour. Yeah it is open world but it's done that way to fit into the story as our hero's job as the pathfinder is to find a new homeworld for humanity within the Andromeda galaxy. I can't speak from first hand experience yet as I've not played but I've seen a lot of vids of it and I've been keeping tabs on it via the new BSN forum. Although I'm staying away from that forum now to try to avoid spoilers as I'd rather uncover the story for myself. At least until I've done that first playthrough anyway. But I have to say though what I've seen I like.

My only concern is the combat and the lack of pause to aim for powers but given all powers have individual cooldowns in MEA it might not be too bad but you can only have 3 active powers at any one time. But you can set up 4 groups of 3 sets of powers called favourites and you select which set of powers you want at any one time. Here's a vid on how the power systems work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3q_Nd5arZM

It's not the size of the world I care about, it's what's in them. A big open world is pointless if 80% of it is bland with nothing to do or see. Zelda for instance has a big beautiful world, but it's full of secrets and stuff to do. 

So many games use the term open world, and quite often it hurts the game. If you can't fill a world with interesting secrets and amazing looking stuff, you should go more linear. At least then you can focus a lot more on level design. We will see soon enough though, hopefully for your sake it's great,  as I know you've been looking forward to it for a a long time. 

I want to be hopeful for Mass Effect Andromeda, but I can't get excited for a game that looks like it could have me spending much (maybe even most) of my play-time just walking around, scanning things, mining, talking to NPCs, and tediously searching every nook & cranny for hidden items. I'm sure lots of people love that sort of thing, and I have nothing against it, but it's not for me. The action looks good, but if the game is only 20% action & 80% walk-talk-search-scan, then I'd lose interest fast. I don't think "story rich" games must also, by definition, be a slow, plodding, grind. I'd like to be wrong about this one, but with the information available so far, it doesn't look promising (for my gaming tastes). I'll keep an eye on post-launch info.

Operator1 said:

I want to be hopeful for Mass Effect Andromeda, but I can't get excited for a game that looks like it could have me spending much (maybe even most) of my play-time just walking around, scanning things, mining, talking to NPCs, and tediously searching every nook & cranny for hidden items. I'm sure lots of people love that sort of thing, and I have nothing against it, but it's not for me. The action looks good, but if the game is only 20% action & 80% walk-talk-search-scan, then I'd lose interest fast. I don't think "story rich" games must also, by definition, be a slow, plodding, grind. I'd like to be wrong about this one, but with the information available so far, it doesn't look promising (for my gaming tastes). I'll keep an eye on post-launch info.

Fair enough but tbh that's what RPG's are for the most part. Whilst I admit I'm not very experienced at them beyond Bioware's games I find myself enjoying them more these days than any other type of game. I think MEA will be a good game but I think it's biggest problem is not dso much it's a new story but the fact it's coming out of a shadow that's pretty big in terms o fthe original trilogy because it was held in pretty high regard with the exception of ME3's ending which a lot of people are STILL complaining about believe it or not and I think that's where the dampener is I think and Bioware aer just simply trying to move on from that and start again and some people are just not letting them. But I think the aim of Andromeda is to take the best elements of the first 3 games and make a good solid game out of it and by that I mean take the more fluid faster combat of ME3 mix it with the exploration elements of ME1 and some interesting companions with interesting stories to tell which was something they had in ME2. There's even some bits in Liam's loyalty mission that's kind of reminiscent of the Citadel DLC in fact which is quite funny for example. Here's a vid of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXciECB5grA

Hughesy said:
It's not the size of the world I care about, it's what's in them. A big open world is pointless if 80% of it is bland with nothing to do or see. Zelda for instance has a big beautiful world, but it's full of secrets and stuff to do. 

So many games use the term open world, and quite often it hurts the game. If you can't fill a world with interesting secrets and amazing looking stuff, you should go more linear. At least then you can focus a lot more on level design. We will see soon enough though, hopefully for your sake it's great,  as I know you've been looking forward to it for a a long time. 
I got bored of No mans sky after the first few planets because they all looked the same.

Hughesy said:

I got bored of No mans sky after the first few planets because they all looked the same.

I've seen similar statements about Ghost Recon: Wildlands - that it's just a huge map with the same half-dozen or so mission types to repetitively do in each area/region... That, and it's pretty much just a recycled combo platter of Far Cry + Just Cause, with a grind-a-licious upgrade system that can be bypassed with microtransactions. Plus bugs & bad controls. So much for another game I was trying to look forward to.

Hughesy said:

Yeah I agree but then Mass Effect has always been a bit more linear than Dragon Age anyway as I said it is a bit moer open world this time but based on what I've seen and heard about it they have listened and tried to be more innovative whether they've succeeded though we'll only know once the game is out. But in the December trailer it does show our character Sara Ryder  using the scanner to try to solve a murder mystery type quest it looked like for example and it looks like there are little quests like that in the game. Similar t ostuff you might find in the Witcher 3 where Geralt has to use his Witcher senses and stuff like that. So it looks like they've tried to go more down the Witcher route and took some lessons from that in terms of creating interesting quests and stories in amongst the main story. So I looks like Bioware have taken note of the Witcher 3's success and tried to learn from it and incorporate some interesting stuff in MEA

@couger1981 I wasn't going to mention that it, because at the time I was really enjoying the game, but I did come to the same conclusion as you in the end  :# Especially once I read what happens at the end of it :joy:

The annotations in MEA though :joy:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/842303004116172800