The Game Thread!

Well I'm preloading MEA right now can't wait to get stuck in. Unfortunately got to wait till next week though. In the meantime I'll just finish my latest run of the trilogy while I wait.

I would have probably bought it after reading reviews, but I just spent £160 fixing a tooth. The only upside to it was my dentist is a hot Brazilian with a lush accent :joy:

Hughesy said:
I would have probably bought it after reading reviews, but I just spent £160 fixing a tooth. The only upside to it was my dentist is a hot Brazilian with a lush accent :joy:
yeah I think it will turn out to be a good game in the end as generally Bioware know how to deliver a good single player game generally and there aren't many companies you can say who do tbh. There's been a few complaints about the CC which to a point I do agree with because it does have less  options but to me the options that are there are of better quality than DAI's. I've got to say I like a lot of the female hairstyles that are available although some of the male ones could be better. But seeing as I tend to only use short hair on my male heroes it's not too much of a problem. But I've got to admit I like the hair physics and am looking forward to seeing the hair fly every time I do a biotic charge.

My screen protector finally arrived for my Nintendo Switch, still annoyed that I didn't buy one before using it. But at least the scratch isn't  noticeable in most situations while playing. Seriously bad design from Nintendo with the dock, especially as a lot of kids will own one. 

For any bargain shoppers who might be interested, here are a couple of limited-time discounts on PC games I just picked up:

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel + season pass
$20.99 (US) - 70% off
http://store.steampowered.com/app/261640/

Batman: Arkham Knight + season pass
$13.59 (US) - 66% off
http://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/batman-arkham-knight-bundle
(...Had a ton of technical issues at launch, but many report that post-launch patches have fixed it up to function nicely now.)

The base versions of both games without DLC season passes are also currently discounted & cost less.

I had fun with Borderlands & Borderlands 2, and I also enjoyed Batman: Arkham City, so I'm sure I'll get my money's worth out of both of the sequels above.

I don't know how long these discount sales will last (this time, before they inevitably go on sale again later).

Just completed Shovel Knight (the main game) what a fun and challenging game, it took me  good 12 hours, so it's already longer than full priced AAA games.  Now to play the expansions  :D

Another game people rave about, Terraria, I just bought and love it. Well I actually got it for free as I sold a load of Steam cards that I have no use for as I couldn't care less about social stuff, Steam is just about gaming for me. 

I'll just leave this here. Seems Bioware should have taken the 5 month delay EA offered them.... 

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/20/mass-effect-andromeda-review/#more-436013

Hughesy said:
I'll just leave this here. Seems Bioware should have taken the 5 month delay EA offered them.... 

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/20/mass-effect-andromeda-review/#more-436013

to be fair Rock paper shotgun have been belittling the game for a while. Most reviewers have given it a fair rating nothing exceptional though around 7 out of 10. Most of the people I know on the BSN have said it's a good game or at least those that have played the EA Access 10 hour trial. There are some glitches and bugs but every game seems to have them these days. I've played games that have had low ratings before and thoroughly enjoyed them so I'm not too worried yet. I've got the game preloaded on my PC just waiting for Origin to unlock it. Unfortunately that won't happen until 11pm tomorrow. Need to finish ME3 first before I get to playing it though. I will probably boot it up when it unlocks to set up my controls though and check the CC over and get an idea of how I want my first character to look in the game but that'll probably be it until I finish ME3. I won't start my first proper playthrough till then.

Every single Point RPS make is true though, it's a rushed and unfinished game. Even EA wanted them to delay it, which says it all really. We all know your obsession with the series, so you will never believe criticism. So many of the people that made Bioware a good developer have left, so it's no surprise this game is a mess. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyvRPW1xSVs

Hughesy said:
Every single Point RPS make is true though, it's a rushed and unfinished game. Even EA wanted them to delay it, which says it all really. We all know your obsession with the series, so you will never believe criticism. So many of the people that made Bioware a good developer have left, so it's no surprise this game is a mess. 

In fairness a lot of them are still there though in fact the guy in charge has been there since the start of the trilogy and I wouldn't exactly call 5 years rushed as they've been working on this game ever since wrapping up ME3. Yes there's been a lot of changes but things like this happen in these companies and it has probably affected the project(because of this) and the game's already had 1 delay as it was originally due for release late last year. As for not believing criticism I would if I felt it was justified because there aer things 'm worried about in this game too. The only thing with me is I'm willing to give it a chance. A gamble I know yes but they tore DA2 apart as well yet I find playing DA2 more fun to play than DAO which was rightly applauded as well so we'll see.

Btw @wynterdust what do you make of the criticism being thrown at MEA thus far?

As someone just informed me, it's not even the same studio that made the last 3 games, so you are wrong. So it's not surprising it's such a mess. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/5zr62t/psa_mass_effect_andromeda_and_the_original_mass/

Hughesy said:
As someone just informed me, it's not even the same studio that made the last 3 games, so you are wrong. So it's not surprising it's such a mess. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/5zr62t/psa_mass_effect_andromeda_and_the_original_mass/
ewll actually it's still the asme peop;le in charge as they're working at the new studio so actually I'm not wrong

There's like 3 people from the main studio that worked on previous games, so yes you are wrong ;) This team have never worked on a game before, only supported, so I'm not sure why you keep saying it's the same people.

Hughesy said:
There's like 3 people from the main studio that worked on previous games, so yes you are wrong ;) This team have never worked on a game before, only supported, so I'm not sure why you keep saying it's the same people.

I was reffering to those 3 or 4 people actually as it's them that's leading the new tyeam yes it is a new team but the same people are managing it. As they're all in leadership  management positions so like I said I'm not wrong

Well you are as 3 or 4 people don't make a game. Hundreds do, and none of them have ever made a Mass Effect game, so yes it's a different team who have no experience making the game, I'm not sure how that's not factually correct. This is getting boring so let's end it. 

That's what @RevolvingPrawn and I are doing tomorrow night, on PC though. 

https://youtu.be/b98XmQOpmtI

Jim's gushing about NieR: Automata has got me very curious about the game. Lots of other good reviews too. Gameplay videos look fun. I may pick it up after it gets some post-launch patches.

Operator1 said:

Jim's gushing about NieR: Automata has got me very curious about the game. Lots of other good reviews too. Gameplay videos look fun. I may pick it up after it gets some post-launch patches.

Rightfully so. Nier: Automata is easily the best game I've played in the past 3 years. I am absolutely in love with it.
And as Jim pointed out, one of its greatest strengths is that it works brilliantly as a game and only as a game. It uses the video game medium to the fullest and in a brilliant manner.

As for the port, well, Japanese games and the PC are rarely a good combination. I still remember the crappy Dark Souls port. It's not that bad, but still, I would have loved to see an immaculate port for this masterpiece of a video game.

Oh, and thanks to Nier I've pre-ordered something for the first time in over 10 years - the Nier: Automata soundtrack. One of the best, if not the best, video game soundtrack I have ever heard.

Thinking about getting Nier myself after watching Jim's videos and reading reviews. 

Operator1 said:
Rightfully so. Nier: Automata is easily the best game I've played in the past 3 years. I am absolutely in love with it.
And as Jim pointed out, one of its greatest strengths is that it works brilliantly as a game and only as a game. It uses the video game medium to the fullest and in a brilliant manner.

As for the port, well, Japanese games and the PC are rarely a good combination. I still remember the crappy Dark Souls port. It's not that bad, but still, I would have loved to see an immaculate port for this masterpiece of a video game.

Oh, and thanks to Nier I've pre-ordered something for the first time in over 10 years - the Nier: Automata soundtrack. One of the best, if not the best, video game soundtrack I have ever heard.

Good to hear that from someone who I know doesn't have a pre-paid rider's pass on any hype train.  ;)

Anyone up for a F1 2016 sesh to celebrate the new season? Say after the race on Sunday?
Tuesday night?