The Game Thread!

Hughesy said:

Well @sjsharp2010 is going to love this. I bought Mass Effect Andromeda, mainly because @RevolvingPrawn kept badgering me to get it :joy:

And it has to be said, actually playing it, the issues have been blown out of proportion. The game isn't perfect, but the game play is great. I always thought gun play in the previous games was the weakest point,  but in this it's awesome. 

The graphics are stunning, why this doesn't come over in videos I don't know. But near the start when you get in a shuttle to go to a planet, it's some of the best graphics I have ever seen on PC. I'm not even running max settings, yet it still looks stunning. 

Some of the voice acting can be a bit bland, but the videos I've watched don't paint it in  good or fair light. 

There's only one character that has made me want to punch my monitor, my face is tired lady :joy: I don't think it's possible for her face to look tired, as she's clearly had botox. So except from her it's been great. 

yeah I was actually talking about it with @Wynterdust as well and I actually agree with him in that I think reviewers were comparing it with the trilogy just because it said Mass Effect on the box instead of treating it like it's own entity which is what I did. I always prefer to judge a game on it's own merits rather than what the title necessarily tells me. That I think is what lead to some of the poor reviews whereas I knew what they were planning with MEA and was prepared for it. I'm not saying it doesn't have it's problems because it does no game is ever 100% perfect. I've almost finished my first playthrough I think as I think I've only got a couple of main story quests left. Although I stil have side quests and at leas t 2 more loyalty quests to do as I've not done Liam's or Peebee's yet. Although I've done everyone elses But I am enjoying it and I'm definitely going back in to do more.  Yeah the graphics aer stunning faces and people still look a little cartoony though but then I put that down to the way Frostbite works tbh as DAI had those problems as well imo but locations in the game are gorgeous. The nice little touches like the hair physics are quite nice as well as it makes the hair look a little less helmet heady as well which was a nice touch and something I think a game like this needed given the tech we have now. I liked the fact they threw in a few nods to the trilogy though in the story and certain quests but without going into details that was cleverly done but all in all it's a pretty solid game and I'm glad to say that the reviewers made a mistake in giving it such bad reviews.

It's only really the humans that can look a bit weird, the rest look awesome. The game lacks some polish, but on the whole it's a great game. Videos and reviews focused too much on issues, rather than the positives. 

The only issue I have is its cooking my 6700k even though it's liquid cooled. When loading it goes as high as 73c, then settles down to 60-65c. Even stress tests don't heat my CPU this high, so no idea what's going on. Searched online and it seems to happen to others with different CPU's. It's still within a safe limit for me, but it's very odd. 

Hughesy said:

It's only really the humans that can look a bit weird, the rest look awesome. The game lacks some polish, but on the whole it's a great game. Videos and reviews focused too much on issues, rather than the positives. 

The only issue I have is its cooking my 6700k even though it's liquid cooled. When loading it goes as high as 73c, then settles down to 60-65c. Even stress tests don't heat my CPU this high, so no idea what's going on. Searched online and it seems to happen to others with different CPU's. It's still within a safe limit for me, but it's very odd. 

yeah been having a few performance issues myself with it but hopefully after a few patches from Bioware it'll settle down It stutters a little bit when using SLI but when I disabled it it then started to crash a lot (especially in cutscenes) not really sure what's going on there as my machine does meet the recommended specs. Hopefully the issues will be patched though. I am loving it though just wish it performed a bit more stable. Because aside from that I'm not having any issues at all. Other than I'm finding the glyph puzzles a little tricky to solve. :p

The glyphs are easy once you realise what to do. I won't say what incase it's classed as a spoiler, as I know people get sensitive about that sort of thing  :D I want to play more now I've finished watching BTCC, but I'm in quite a bit of pain today,  I struggle to concentrate on what's going on. 

Hughesy said:

The glyphs are easy once you realise what to do. I won't say what incase it's classed as a spoiler, as I know people get sensitive about that sort of thing  :D I want to play more now I've finished watching BTCC, but I'm in quite a bit of pain today,  I struggle to concentrate on what's going on. 

yeah the early ones are but they do get harder later on. :p You don't need to worry about spoilers with me as I'm quite near the end now only got a couple of main story quests to do as my next one's called journey to Meridian which according to the wiki is the penultimate one. But I'm working on the glyphs and vaults right now to stabilize the planets. Just done Voeld's only Elaaden left to do in that now. Thankfully there are those remnant keys which make it possible to skip them but you need to pay for them and they are quite expensive 3000,credits or something for just 1

So last night due to pain I couldn't sleep, so I played MEA until 3am even though it was hard to concentrate. Once I finally got to sleep, I only slept for 2 hours :astonished: Still what a game it is, it managed to pull me in even whilst in a lot of pain  :D

Hughesy said:

So last night due to pain I couldn't sleep, so I played MEA until 3am even though it was hard to concentrate. Once I finally got to sleep, I only slept for 2 hours :astonished: Still what a game it is, it managed to pull me in even whilst in a lot of pain  :D

yeah same here I'm not in the best of condition's either and it's certainly pulling me in. But I find a lot of these games do that which is probably whty I like them so much and why I play them as much as I do. Not just ME but I find DA and other games like that do this as well. I'm already looking forward to seeing what the DLC's will offer when they come out.

I do feel silly riding the hate train now, because honestly it's everything I hoped it would be, the awesome parts more than make up for the rough areas. 

Also I have fixed my extremely high CPU temps, I changed the framebuffer format to the uncompressed settings, and while loading temps have dropped by 10c and usage doesn't max out. So my main issue is fixed now  :D

Edit: The issue is back, so now I have no idea why it was fine, maybe it depends where the game is loading, I'm on the Nexus at the moment. 

EDIT 2: temps went extremely high all of a sudden, so I went and changed the thermal paste. But I could only find paste that was old, and it made it a whole lot worse, big fail :joy: So I've ordered some new stuff, but won't get it until tomorrow, so no MEA until then  :(

Hughesy said:

I do feel silly riding the hate train now, because honestly it's everything I hoped it would be, the awesome parts more than make up for the rough areas. 

Also I have fixed my extremely high CPU temps, I changed the framebuffer format to the uncompressed settings, and while loading temps have dropped by 10c and usage doesn't max out. So my main issue is fixed now  :D

Edit: The issue is back, so now I have no idea why it was fine, maybe it depends where the game is loading, I'm on the Nexus at the moment. 

EDIT 2: temps went extremely high all of a sudden, so I went and changed the thermal paste. But I could only find paste that was old, and it made it a whole lot worse, big fail :joy: So I've ordered some new stuff, but won't get it until tomorrow, so no MEA until then  :(

yeah I kind of hope they keep the protagonist Ryder for the next game (assuming there is one) Because I think they got off to a good start. I like the fact that Ryder is young and relatively inexperienced with this kind of thing but is trying to do the best by everyone makes me wantto see them succeed. I'm playing as female Ryder and I have to admit I like fem Ryder's quirks. I plan to play as Scott as well I just chose not to start with him.

Fucking pump inside my CPU cooler has failed, so I have an even longer wait until I can play MEA again  :(

Hughesy said:

**** pump inside my CPU cooler has failed, so I have an even longer wait until I can play MEA again  :(

Damn it! Well Bioware are releasing a new patch tomorrow for MEA so hopefully that'll fix some of the issues that people are having. It sounds like it's going to fix the issues I've been experiencing anyway with it so hopefully It'll start running more smoothly after that. They do plan on tweaking the CC and increasing some of the customization options too which sounds cool in some of the patches coming up as well which sounds good.

https://www.masseffect.com/news/the-journey-ahead

The whole game will be fixed by the time Corsair replace my cooler :joy: I actually think looking back the pump has been going for a while, then MEA fully exposed it and then it completely went. Still it gives me time to complete Zelda BOTW while I went, then I can focus on MEA. 

I could have got the replacement a lot quicker, as Corsair can send it before you send the broken one back. But that puts a temporary charge of £100 on my card until they receive the old one. I simply couldn't afford it though, had a lot of expenses lately with my tooth, my eyes and my dog lol. 

Hughesy said:

The whole game will be fixed by the time Corsair replace my cooler :joy: I actually think looking back the pump has been going for a while, then MEA fully exposed it and then it completely went. Still it gives me time to complete Zelda BOTW while I went, then I can focus on MEA. 

I could have got the replacement a lot quicker, as Corsair can send it before you send the broken one back. But that puts a temporary charge of £100 on my card until they receive the old one. I simply couldn't afford it though, had a lot of expenses lately with my tooth, my eyes and my dog lol. 

maybe I just hope the stability of the game get's improved by the time I do my next run. Finished the game last night the last couple of main story quests were pretty awesome. My only real issue with the game is that it does crash a lot especially during cutscenes on my system so hopefully that'll be fixed. 

I only had it crash once near the start of the game, but I obviously know that means nothing as everyone has a different system. Hopefully that improves for you. 

Sent my Corsair H110i GT to be replaced. I also remembered I bought a cheap spare air cooler, Cooler Master 212X. I hurt my shoulder today so I'll fit it tomorrow. I'll have to set my CPU back to stock clocks, but that's fine until Corsair send my replacement, at least I can play MEA while I wait  :)

Hughesy said:

I only had it crash once near the start of the game, but I obviously know that means nothing as everyone has a different system. Hopefully that improves for you. 

Sent my Corsair H110i GT to be replaced. I also remembered I bought a cheap spare air cooler, Cooler Master 212X. I hurt my shoulder today so I'll fit it tomorrow. I'll have to set my CPU back to stock clocks, but that's fine until Corsair send my replacement, at least I can play MEA while I wait  :)

yeah I don't mind the occasional crash as that happens with every game at some point or another. I even get crashes on ME3 during the sanctuary mission on Horizon for example sometimes but nothing compared to what I've had in MEA. MEA did crash rather excessively in this first run. I have downloaded the patch as it's now available so hopefully it's better now but I haven't tested it yet. I do have a couple more playthrough's planned so will likely try it then. All in all though story and gameplay wise I loved it. It's just really the stuttering and crashing that brought the game down but right now it's the only negative I have of the experience and things like that can and usually are patched in time in these games so eventually I could see myself enjoying it without too many hitches anyway. It's just a case of being patient.

Got my spare cooler fitted, it's performing pretty well at stock clocks. It's the smallest CPU cooler I have had in like 10 years, but it's doing the job and is OK until I get my Corsair H110i GT back. At least I can play MEA while I wait :D

Tried the new patch for MEA briefly last night for about 5/10 minutes and it looks like it did the trick. I didn't do any heavy duty missions or anything but running around and just generally talking to people the animations and stuff looked much smoother. So hopefully the game itself will run much smoother now. Looking forward to my next playthrough already.

Yea the animations have improved a lot, mostly the eyes, they don't look like they've been sniffing the white stuff lol. 

I'm so happy I can play it again. 

Hughesy said:

Yea the animations have improved a lot, mostly the eyes, they don't look like they've been sniffing the white stuff lol. 

I'm so happy I can play it again. 

yeah finished my first run a couple of days ago but I thought I'd come out and give them a little whilre to release a couple of patches before playing it again. But it certainly looks like it might run smoother now so hopefully less crashes on my next run. Just doing another run of the trilogy in the meantime.

I'm still 50/50 on it. The game is fun but I'm just not connecting with the characters. Peebee, Drack and Kallo are the only ones I'm finding to be good, the rest are just....meh. Jaal is not as good as I hoped, he just seems like a poor mans Javik. But Liam at the beginning of the game...and Gil as a whole..terrible. It's like they were written by children.
Honestly, by Bioware's standards it's easily their weakest game in a long time story and character wise. I suppose it doesn't help though that the trilogy set the bar so high.

I'm going to keep going though since it is a Mass Effect game and it is fun to play (especially as a full biotic with full recharge speed, it's like you're a DBZ character :D ).

On another note I started a new game as Sara after the patch to see how the animations have changed and I'm delighted to see they've improved hugely. Cora doesn't walk like that gorilla anymore and Addison's face doesn't seem so tired and like it's still stuck in cryo anymore. It was almost bizarre seeing her actually look angry this time :D

I'm still 50/50 on it. The game is fun but I'm just not connecting with the characters. Peebee, Drack and Kallo are the only ones I'm finding to be good, the rest are just....meh. Jaal is not as good as I hoped, he just seems like a poor mans Javik. But Liam at the beginning of the game...and Gil as a whole..terrible. It's like they were written by children.
Honestly, by Bioware's standards it's easily their weakest game in a long time story and character wise. I suppose it doesn't help though that the trilogy set the bar so high.

I'm going to keep going though since it is a Mass Effect game and it is fun to play (especially as a full biotic with full recharge speed, it's like you're a DBZ character :D ).

On another note I started a new game as Sara after the patch to see how the animations have changed and I'm delighted to see they've improved hugely. Cora doesn't walk like that gorilla anymore and Addison's face doesn't seem so tired and like it's still stuck in cryo anymore. It was almost bizarre seeing her actually look angry this time :D

yeah the game's definitely looking better post patch I think. Personally I hope the game plays smoother as well on my system as the crashes at times were getting beyond a joke Strangely I'm quite liking the character's Peebee is the only one I'm not really connecting with really and Jaal is kind of  of a male Tali I feel really in that he and  his people do share a lot of similarities to the quarians in that they seem to be a more emotional people in the way they behave and in their genreal mannerisms. Vetra kind of feels like a female Garrus in that if she has to get her hands dirty in order to achieve something she will. Drack is your typical Krogan a nice mix of Grunt's aggression but with Wrex's wisdom. Peebee kind of reminds me of Sera in DAI and I was never that keen on Sera either tbh they kind of feel like the spoiled brat of the team. That kind of personality I've always found harder to click with. Liam and Cora aer basically the typical Ashley/Kaidan partnership there to show you're not on your own.

I enjoyed my first playthrough and am looking forward to seeing what the future DLC's have in store and I definitely plan on doing more playthrough's as well I can see myself sinking a lot of hours into MEA this year. My next run will be as Scottt as I've not done him yet but I've definitely got another Sara planned as well so looking forward to that. Will likely use the default name for my second Sara though as I want to hear what it's like when the characters use your proper name instead of just Ryder or Pathfinder.

yeah the game's definitely looking better post patch I think. Personally I hope the game plays smoother as well on my system as the crashes at times were getting beyond a joke Strangely I'm quite liking the character's Peebee is the only one I'm not really connecting with really and Jaal is kind of  of a male Tali I feel really in that he and  his people do share a lot of similarities to the quarians in that they seem to be a more emotional people in the way they behave and in their genreal mannerisms. Vetra kind of feels like a female Garrus in that if she has to get her hands dirty in order to achieve something she will. Drack is your typical Krogan a nice mix of Grunt's aggression but with Wrex's wisdom. Peebee kind of reminds me of Sera in DAI and I was never that keen on Sera either tbh they kind of feel like the spoiled brat of the team. That kind of personality I've always found harder to click with. Liam and Cora aer basically the typical Ashley/Kaidan partnership there to show you're not on your own.

I enjoyed my first playthrough and am looking forward to seeing what the future DLC's have in store and I definitely plan on doing more playthrough's as well I can see myself sinking a lot of hours into MEA this year. My next run will be as Scottt as I've not done him yet but I've definitely got another Sara planned as well so looking forward to that. Will likely use the default name for my second Sara though as I want to hear what it's like when the characters use your proper name instead of just Ryder or Pathfinder.

Peebee is my favourite :p The rest of the squad are definitely a bit blander to me.

And using the default name makes zero difference, I have and you still get called Ryder or Pathfinder.

I think that's my personal problem with the crew this game: They all seem to be lesser versions of previous characters. It's almost like the writers were trying too hard to get them similar to the old cast or trying to be funny and it hasn't worked. That's my main gripe with Gil. Everything he says is like it's trying to be funny and it just isn't, it's ridiculous, stupid, makes me want to throw him out of the airlock. Easily my least favourite character and Liam...ugh... "I think I ****ed that one off...maybe because I shot him in the face!". Like seriously? Is his writer 12? And when you tell him to calm down and he turns round and shoots again "Now I feel better."..... I actually hit my head off the desk it was that cringeworthy. He seems to have calmed down now but that first impression...I'd never said "Ew" out loud before until that.
Drack, although likeable, is just Wrex mk.II. I've seen that Vetra gets better after her quest so I won't rag on her but she's basically a weaker hybrid of Garrus and Tali. Jaal, like I said is just Javik but without the good parts. Cora's just average at the moment. Peebee just seems like the only one they made an effort with and is actually likeable at the same time. Easily my favourite too at the moment. The Sera comparison I can sort of see, but then Sera was my favourite in Inq so I can't complain :D

I don't want to sound like I hate the game because I don't but it is a let down after how brilliant the trilogy was.

I think that's my personal problem with the crew this game: They all seem to be lesser versions of previous characters. It's almost like the writers were trying too hard to get them similar to the old cast or trying to be funny and it hasn't worked. That's my main gripe with Gil. Everything he says is like it's trying to be funny and it just isn't, it's ridiculous, stupid, makes me want to throw him out of the airlock. Easily my least favourite character and Liam...ugh... "I think I ****ed that one off...maybe because I shot him in the face!". Like seriously? Is his writer 12? And when you tell him to calm down and he turns round and shoots again "Now I feel better."..... I actually hit my head off the desk it was that cringeworthy. He seems to have calmed down now but that first impression...I'd never said "Ew" out loud before until that.
Drack, although likeable, is just Wrex mk.II. I've seen that Vetra gets better after her quest so I won't rag on her but she's basically a weaker hybrid of Garrus and Tali. Jaal, like I said is just Javik but without the good parts. Cora's just average at the moment. Peebee just seems like the only one they made an effort with and is actually likeable at the same time. Easily my favourite too at the moment. The Sera comparison I can sort of see, but then Sera was my favourite in Inq so I can't complain :D

I don't want to sound like I hate the game because I don't but it is a let down after how brilliant the trilogy was.

I agree that it's not as good as the trilogy but I enjoy it enough to stick with it though. But then I've done a full playthrough now and I'm happy with what I've seen so I know I'm looking forward to more. I knew I wouldn't probably like Peebee much anyway as I heard that she was kind of based of Sera and Sera was never one of my faves either but I know I can just leave her aboard my ship if I want so it's not a huge problem. To be fair to Bioware it was always going to feel a bit empty this time anyway as it's always going to be hard to follow on from a trilogy like what they did. Kind of like what happened when Moyes took over from Sir Alex at Man U an act like Fergie was always going to be hard to top. They wanted to continue the series and felt this was the best way to do it I think they've done an excellent job under the circumstances. I'm not saying everything's perfect as it's not but even the trilogy had a few problems along the way the biggest most likely being the obvious ME3 endings

Peebee is my favourite :p The rest of the squad are definitely a bit blander to me.

And using the default name makes zero difference, I have and you still get called Ryder or Pathfinder.

yeah but occasionally the name Scott and Sara is mentioned though so that's the main reason why I'm considering it. Especially during the romance scenes apparently. I've seen it in vids so I know it happens. I just wanted to see it happen with one of my characters.