The Game Thread!

Hughesy said:
No way I've lost 7th gear during the Bahrain race, it's one of the bits I didn't change as I thought it was ok. I do like this extra authenticity though.
well that's the McLaren in a nutshell I guess.  :p  It's got a good chassis but it's lacking in reliability .Stupid GP2 tech as Fernando would say. Will be interesting to see how I go in it in a career mode at some point.

Started career mode with Mclaren as well, loving it so far! What difficulty is everyone on atm? I'm on 82.. 

I'm currently on 90, but getting annoyed at how the AI are half a second too fast in practice and quali (due to the game pulling times out of it's ass it seems), and then half a second too slow in the race.

Lukedfrt said:
Started career mode with Mclaren as well, loving it so far! What difficulty is everyone on atm? I'm on 82.. 

I'm kind of tweaking my difficulty as I go tbh as I was kind of getting a few mixed results when I started playing Thursday night before going to bed. I know I'm somewhere between easy and medium depending on what kind of form I'm in. I started my first career race on 20 but I have moved up to 25 for China. I've kind of set myself the target of each time I achieve my objective in a race weekend then I'l raise it up 5 if I don't I'll drop it down 3 and see how it goes. Hopefully it'll make for a more interesting career that way and mix up the results a bit. At least that's the hope as I think it'll help keep things fresh even after I've unlocked all the upgrades which was something for me that 2016 lacked.

I must say I love the fact they've introduced the official F1 graphics every time you start a new session though.

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
Yay my front wing development has failed, but at least my engine upgrade worked which is why the McLaren really needs.

Sounds strange to be celebrating a failure but whatever. :p I've got a couple of upgrades in the works on both the Chassis and Aerodynamics section as that's what  the Williams needs most atm. Hopefully neither of them fail but you never know.
It was sarcasm  ;)

After finishing my second race last night, my engine had 60% wear, I lost power during the race, which at China wasn't great. I finished 15th and beat Alonso, I did a one stop race starting on super soft then went to mediums, almost everyone else did two stops using super softs and softs.

Woke up this morning with a bad shoulder, either slept on it funny, or it's from using my wheel for most of the day yesterday. I'm still going to start playing again once I've finished my coffee. I still can't get over how detailed the wheel FFB is, for 6 years every F1 game has felt numb and disconnected, now it's just as detailed as RF2. IMO it's a masterpiece.
Now I know how you feel as my Chassis upgrade failed and that's kind of created a bit of a conundrum for me tbh. (Thanks engineer :p )As although my car is doing pretty well on track it's wearing through it's parts pretty quick I was barely able to get my first engine to last more than 1 and a half race weekends before I had to switch parts out. So now I'm starting to think that maybe I should be focusing on durability. Now had that upgrade passed it's tests. I wouldn't have had a problem as I'd have just put the points into durability but now I have a choice to make finish upgrading that part or put the points into the durability section. Decisions decisions

I can't wait to upgrade the Honda engine haha, it's so painful at any circuit with a reasonable straight!

Be warned, qualifying times are no longer set in real time, like in 2010 they are simulated. @RevolvingPrawn warned me about it earlier, at that point I hadn't noticed it. Then we were racing online, 1-2 by miles and then suddenly I was down to 10th. To put it into perspective, during the race I was 2 seconds faster than the ai each lap, I can't believe Codemasters have done this again, just when I thought the game was perfect.

Hughesy said:
Be warned, qualifying times are no longer set in real time, like in 2010 they are simulated. @RevolvingPrawn warned me about it earlier, at that point I hadn't noticed it. Then we were racing online, 1-2 by miles and then suddenly I was down to 10th. To put it into perspective, during the race I was 2 seconds faster than the ai each lap, I can't believe Codemasters have done this again, just when I thought the game was perfect.

Well I've got to admit it's pretty damn near perfect for me atm. I'm just kind of hoping I can make those 4 free component engine parts last long enough to get me past Monaco because after that I don't think I'll mind too much taking penalties given I find both Canada and Baku easyish places to get overtakes done on. Assuming I have to take one that is.

Lukedfrt said:
I can't wait to upgrade the Honda engine haha, it's so painful at any circuit with a reasonable straight!

Have you been watching Bens vids if not you should see the one I posted above it's pretty funny.

Just thought I'd ask but has anyone tried racing Monaco at night yet? Because you can apparently do that this year as well.

I don't think you can call a racing game perfect if the qualifying times are simulated and based on what you do. When your qualifying time is miles faster, then after the time ends you are suddenly 10th and then two seconds faster in the race then them, it's not very good. Codemasters did this in 2010, people got really angry about it and then did it properly after, so I have no idea why they've gone back to making it like this. It really ruins the simulation of the game and the enjoyment of qualifying.

It makes qualifying pointless entirely.

I was doing quali for Australia, currently sitting in 7th and crossed the line to start my last lap with around 10 second until the flag dropped. There was no cars behind me on the mini-map, so once I finished my lap no other cars should be able to improve their times. I was still 7th coming out of the final corner, and was 2 tenths up on my previous best, crossed the line and finished... 15th.

Raikkonen on pole had gained 0.6 between me leaving the garage and finishing my fast lap, and Hulkenberg my team mate had gained 0.7. How is this possible when they weren't on track? The only way is with the game generating times. It makes the quali sessions pointless, because if you go out and get blocked by an AI, you're the only one who'll suffer. There might as well be no other cars on track for quali.

Made it to Q2 for the first time in my McLaren at Sochi, was 12th. If I can finish 12th in Q2 I'll be really happy, I was a second faster than Alonso, what a lap.

Must admit Monaco is a right monster this year very hard to drive even on Easy I can't hit my targets. I don't know what CM have done to that track but I'm really struggling there. Admittedly I've always struggled at Monaco bu tthis year I seem tobe finding it much worse. Anyone else noticed Monaco's spike in difficulty? Usually even on a bad weekend I'm on par with the backmarkers this year I'm about 9 seconds off the fastest time.

You know if they did add this it would be enough for me to buy a VR headset, because I'm loving this game so much.
http://www.pcgamer.com/codemasters-say-adding-vr-to-f1-2017-will-be-difficult/

Btw in Q1 at Spain it was raining, in my McLaren I set the fastest second sector in the session. That shows how good the chassis is, but the lack of power really screws me. At the moment I'm mainly doing reliability upgrades, but I need more power.

Hughesy said:
You know if they did add this it would be enough for me to buy a VR headset, because I'm loving this game so much.
http://www.pcgamer.com/codemasters-say-adding-vr-to-f1-2017-will-be-difficult/

Btw in Q1 at Spain it was raining, in my McLaren I set the fastest second sector in the session. That shows how good the chassis is, but the lack of power really screws me. At the moment I'm mainly doing reliability upgrades, but I need more power.
Yeah we seem to have gone for opposite extremes in our career modes. I'[ve got one of the strongest engines but one of the weakest Chassis and you've got one of the strongest Chassis but the weakest engine. It might have been the main reason why I struggled so much around Monaco as I really couldn't get going there. Thankfully I'm done there and I'm at Canada now which is usually one of my best tracks so  hopefully I can back on track now.

Well a long with being quick in the wet during qualifying, I was quick in the race. I got my first points finishing 9th and Alonso came 10th :D

Hughesy said:
Well a long with being quick in the wet during qualifying, I was quick in the race. I got my first points finishing 9th and Alonso came 10th :D
Alonso must be delighted he's probably almost forgotten what it feels like to score points :p

Loving the game so far, gone for Force India as my first team and I'm on 75 difficulty, which seems about right as I'm around Perez's pace and meeting my practice targets. I love the R&D set up this year as well as the power unit management, I might actually keep this game next year and just keep going unless there are major changes to next year's game. 

fIsince08 said:
Loving the game so far, gone for Force India as my first team and I'm on 75 difficulty, which seems about right as I'm around Perez's pace and meeting my practice targets. I love the R&D set up this year as well as the power unit management, I might actually keep this game next year and just keep going unless there are major changes to next year's game. 

yeah I can see myself sticking with 2017 unless CM come up  with something really radical next year. Especially as 10 seasons is quite a long career mode anyway and I'm loving mixing racing the 2017 cars with the classic car challenges. I've had the game since Friday and I've only made it to Canada so far so I'm not even half way through my first season yet. Also what with the bigger R&D RPG style tree it's really mixed things up.

Just be careful Perez doesn't try to ram you off the road. He's got a nasty habit of doing that to his teammates. :p

Hughesy said:
Alonso must be delighted he's probably almost forgotten what it feels like to score points :p
Yea but he got beaten by a rookie, Hamilton and Alonso all over again :joy:

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
Yea but he got beaten by a rookie, Hamilton and Alonso all over again :joy:
I'm suer he's used to it by now . :p

Destiny 2 looks amazing on PC, also plays great. Just being able to play at 60fps makes such a big difference compared to 30fps on consoles, plus precision because I'm using M/KB. I was waiting until I could play it before deciding in case it ran crap on PC, but it runs perfectly, for the life of me I can't see why it's not coming out at the same time as consoles, when it's already so polished.

Just did a strike mission with two randoms, it was great, I wasn't so great but luckily for me my two partners were awesome :joy:

Also played the beta, and it was fantastic. 90fps solid for me with SLI working better than the vast majority of games that "support" it. The coolest thing for me was instinctively knowing the controls without having to look at the option screen. Every button I pressed did exactly what I was expecting, even down to holding RB and LB for the badass supercharged mode.

Really wish they'd released it at the same time as consoles too, but if it gets even more polished than it already is over the next 2 months I'll be happy enough to wait!

Can't believe what just happened. I was just offered the Number 1 driver spot at Merxcedes and I turned them down. :p