The Game Thread!

So this happened, somebody explain how. So yea Montreal is my best track, but still. I'm in a McLaren, I have the worst car as I've mainly done reliability upgrades as seen bellow. I got to Q3 for the first time, which is surprising considering the car I'm driving at a power circuit and broken qualifying. My car was the slowest in the speed trap, yet I qualified 1st.

Car rating, look how slow it is compared to the Sauber lol.

My pole time in a McLaren.

My main issue was I wasn't expecting it, so I used an old gearbox. Once I came 1st I didn't want to change it. In the race all was going well, I lost 5th at one point, but with 3 laps to go I was 3rd, but then it went. Shifts went really bad, so it would take like 2-3 seconds to shift up or down. Going up was ok as I'd just anticipate it, but downshifts I couldn't do that, as it would only downshift one at a time every few seconds, so I'd go into the hairpin in 6th. In the end I came 7th, which was still my best result. I still can't work out how I  was so fast.

Also something cool I just heard over the loudspeaker in game, there's a shout out for Billy Monger, nice touch Codemasters.

Can't help but feel the gearbox wear on F1 2017 is a bit overpowered. 50% wear and I've already lost a gear!

fIsince08 said:
Can't help but feel the gearbox wear on F1 2017 is a bit overpowered. 50% wear and I've already lost a gear!
It comes back, it doesn't last the whole race, try losing all proper shifts like I did. I'd say it's fine how it is, 50% wear means it's likely to develop a fault, just like 50% tyre wear means you lose quite a bit of performance. It's also quite easy to drive around losing 1 gear without losing much time, thankfully the ai also suffer the same wear, plus it gives you a reason to upgrade the gearbox. Also bear in mind a worn control electronics means other components wear faster and are more likely to develop faults.

fIsince08 said:

yeah the wear rates on parts are a bit high but CM I think yesterday released a patch that eases that a bit. Although tbh I've not really been wearing out my gear box it's moer my ICE's and MGU parts that wear out quick but then I've put also put some durability upgrades on the car and I'm also limiting myself to 1 practice session per weekend now to stretch out the wear rate a bit as well as you can't use more than 8 parts in one line and in some lines I'm already on part 8 and I've still got 5 races to go as I'm on Japan. I've got to say though I've been watching Aarava's career mode series on youtube and he did Japan earlier and I've done a practice session there and I actually agree with him CM did a nice job with reprofiling it as it's a nice track to drive in 2017

Hughesy said:
fIsince08 said:
It comes back, it doesn't last the whole race, try losing all proper shifts like I did. I'd say it's fine how it is, 50% wear means it's likely to develop a fault, just like 50% tyre wear means you lose quite a bit of performance. It's also quite easy to drive around losing 1 gear without losing much time, thankfully the ai also suffer the same wear, plus it gives you a reason to upgrade the gearbox. Also bear in mind a worn control electronics means other components wear faster and are more likely to develop faults.
I hope it does come back! My CE is actually in quite good nick but the turbo, engine and especially ES are taking a hammering. I have got some reliability upgrades on the car but will need performance soon.

I pretty much just did reliability because I'm McLaren, but I'm only at Silverstone and I'm using my last engine.... 

Hughesy said:
I pretty much just did reliability because I'm McLaren, but I'm only at Silverstone and I'm using my last engine.... 
yeah that's what I'd have done as wel stuck with reliability and power train upgrades if I were in McLaren. I may ewll be for a career mode later on. Although it won't be until I finish my current one I think.

Looking forward to buying Rocket League on Nintendo Switch. For some reason I haven't bought it on PC even though I love football and I love cars. It's a shame it's not out before I go to Silverstone, so I could play it between races lol.

I keep getting random grid penalties even though I haven't changed any parts. Like just now I qualified 16th at Spa, yet started 19th. This isn't the first time it's happened and it's starting to piss me off.

Hughesy said:
I keep getting random grid penalties even though I haven't changed any parts. Like just now I qualified 16th at Spa, yet started 19th. This isn't the first time it's happened and it's starting to **** me off.
Have you reported it? I think some others have reported the issue and CM are looking into it but I'm not sure you might want to check.

I haven't, but I'm sure Codemasters know about it. It's not so bad, as the ai are slow on the first lap, so I just make it back up anyway. 

Oh I think it was actually my fault. I think I actually changed gearboxes and didn't realise it has to do 6 races, so it now has me wondering  if the other people reporting the issue have done the same thing. I'm not sure how I missed this rule, the game even warns you, but I skip the warnings lol, big fail on my part.

Hughesy said:
Oh I think it was actually my fault. I think I actually changed gearboxes and didn't realise it has to do 6 races, so it now has me wondering  if the other people reporting the issue have done the same thing. I'm not sure how I missed this rule, the game even warns you, but I skip the warnings lol, big fail on my part.

yeah we all make that mistake but then I've not had to change my gearboxes as they've not worn out at least not in the first season .It's about the only part of the car that didn't wear out on my Williams. But then I'm racing for Ferrari for Season 2 so I'm interested t osee how that goes being Vettel's team mate especially as me and him had a lot of fights last season. But I'm playing a classic car championship atm between seasons for a bit of fun. I'm really enjoying that as well with the classic points system and everything. CM have really done good with the game this year. Looking forward to having the number 1 on the car so that will be good as I won the championship.

I didn't know there was a classic car championship, I'll have to check it out. My favourite classic car to drive is actually the 2004 Ferrari, not a Ferrari fan but driving it around Brazil is amazing. It puts the current cars to shame, plus it makes a good noise.

Nah 20 laps into my race at Monza and the game crashed  :s Don't care what time it is, I'm getting this 50% length race done tonight :joy:

Well, into Russia in my career and things have gone a bit good!

Came into the race knowing I had a gearbox penalty. I fitted a new everything in the PU except MGU-K before qualy as things are starting to get worn. Qualy was soaking wet, yet weirdly the bottom six (including Hamilton and Vettel) all failed to set a lap. Might be a glitch, I don't know.

I got knocked out in  Q2 after misjudging my laptime and started 18th. Me and Sainz (19th on the grid) made brilliant starts to get into the points. For some reason, my Force India was dominating in the wet and I took the lead from Bottas at T2 on lap 2. I pulled out a 20 second lead and I'm managing to keep the gap at 17ish seconds after 2 pit stops each, even though the whole field has been on ultra softs for about 20 laps. I'm sure I'm going to win this, but I'm not sure how! I even upped the difficulty before the race!

Hughesy said:
I didn't know there was a classic car championship, I'll have to check it out. My favourite classic car to drive is actually the 2004 Ferrari, not a Ferrari fan but driving it around Brazil is amazing. It puts the current cars to shame, plus it makes a good noise.

yeah there is it's in the championship's section in the main menu .There's several little championship game modes in there kind of like Grid Autosport actually.

Yeah I was originally thinking the 2002 or 2004 Ferrari's but I found them a little oversteery so chose not to use them. Probably just need more practice driving them. I do like the 95 Ferrari though handles really well. It's not the fastest of it's class as a lot of the time the other cars are just within about 5 seconds of me even on my strongest tracks but it's a fun one to drive.

Hughesy said:
Nah 20 laps into my race at Monza and the game crashed  :s Don't care what time it is, I'm getting this 50% length race done tonight :joy:

Annoying when that happens isn't it? :p But yeah racing at Monza is fun but then racing all the tracks are fun this year. The only one I've not had much fun with is Monaco

Just finished Monaco, would definitely say the ai difficulty increases there! I've out qualified Alonso at every track so far, but he was 8 tenths quicker than me at Monaco! Managed a bit better in the race but only 15th aha

Lukedfrt said:
Just finished Monaco, would definitely say the ai difficulty increases there! I've out qualified Alonso at every track so far, but he was 8 tenths quicker than me at Monaco! Managed a bit better in the race but only 15th aha
Yeah Monaco is definitely the toughest track on 2017. I found I had to drop the difficulty all the way down to 10 just to be competitive there. I'm running at about 35 everywhere else though as that's kind of where I am on the difficulty slider. Which is kind of just under medium so it's all good for the most part

Monaco is awesome :p It was great in 2016, but even better now in 2017 lol. I've been doing more quick races there than anywhere else.

I've upped my difficulty to 92 now after finishing 4th in a Renault at China. And if I finish top 5 in Bahrain it'll go up to 95.

I'm at your favourite track bud, Singapore lol. I love it even more with these cars. As for Monoco, I did well and enjoyed it. I don't quite understand some of you saying it's harder this year, for me it's a lot easier, especially with the extra traction. I have a major engine upgrading for the next race I think, it's still going to be the slowest by quite a bit though, baby steps.

New patch is out, still nothing to sort the AI qualifying times out.

Hughesy said:
I'm at your favourite track bud, Singapore lol. I love it even more with these cars. As for Monoco, I did well and enjoyed it. I don't quite understand some of you saying it's harder this year, for me it's a lot easier, especially with the extra traction. I have a major engine upgrading for the next race I think, it's still going to be the slowest by quite a bit though, baby steps.

New patch is out, still nothing to sort the AI qualifying times out.

It might be just the fact the cars are slightly wider that's throwing some of us off at least after looking at the main forum that's what I think. Either way I know the solution just drop the difficulty down when I race there and bring it back up when I'm done. It's not really too much of a big deal really as I am enjoying the rest of it.

It was just a bit of a shock tofind myself 2 laps down and in last place at the end of the race when I hadn't raised the difficulty in my career mode. Whilst yes I do struggle there but I've never really struggled that badly even on 2016. Mind you another track I normally struggle on Suzuka I'm finding a lot easier this year and much more of a pleasure to drive as well.

I'm with Hughesy on this one, I think Monaco is actually easier on 2017 too. It's way easier to throw the car through the corners and not worry about sliding into the barriers.

Time to go up to 95 difficulty, finished 5th at Bahrain after a race long battle with the Red Bulls. Btw, has anybody else noticed that Hamilton is not as good as Bottas, Raikkonen or Vettel in career mode?

Yep, somebody at Codemasters obviously doesn't like him, he either always brakes down, or finishes down the field.