The Game Thread!

Funny thing is Fortnite is the only Switch game with voice chat built in. So the Switch is capable of voice chat, yet Nintendo make people use a horrible phone app meaning you have wires all over the play. Classic Nintendo, they like to make things more difficult than they need to be.

As for Fortnite on it, it runs well enough at 30fps, I think the main consoles ran it at 30fps at first before 60fps.

Even though I've been ill today I played it. I chose solo squads, so just me against full squads of people. I managed to take out a whole squad which is probably my best moment, I'm still lacking that W though, I can get to the final 2 or 3 but I always bottle it.

Edit: Mate I'm fuming, I was in the top three with 7 kills, amazing loot and my bloody game crashed, I'm sure that was my best chance to win, but instead of me my console bottled it.

It's funny that I came the closet to winning when I'm so unwell. Although since that game I haven't done anything but lay in bed, only got up to feed the dogs. My win will come.

Hughesy said:
It's funny that I came the closet to winning when I'm so unwell. Although since that game I haven't done anything but lay in bed, only got up to feed the dogs. My win will come.
yeah sometimes I play better on some games when I'm not feeling great too. Not sure why that is but maybe it's because I concentrate more in those circumstances.

Well by 11pm I was feeling better. I genuinely thought I was going to need to go to hospital before then. It's on my Twitter what was wrong with me, I really thought I was going to get pneumonia. Anyway about 9:30pm I was burning up, my temputure was 100f which a few more I would have been in trouble. So I put my air con on to 18c and that go my temputure down, and I ended up gaming until 1am as Id slept most of the day.

Forza Horizon 3 I finally drove all 488 roads, some were annoyingly hard to find. I also played Fortnite and have nearly completed all the battle pass weekly challenges and also got a 10 kill game, my highest ever, still didn't win though lol. Can't believe I didn't buy the battle pass earlier, as a package it's pretty darn awesome, free to play with microtransactions done right imo.

Already earned enough V-bucks for next season's battle pass. Cross play works, but you only get V bucks for the platform you bought or unlocked them on. So mostly played on Switch as I already had some bucks on it. Completed all the weekly challenges just in time as its the last day, took hours to find a bloody llama.

Hopefully I can get some of week two challenges done tomorrow before my Rift arrives. Talking of VR, I really wish Codemasters would stop being lazy and support it for F1 like they have for the Dirt series. As it stands I won't be buying this year's F1, which would be the first time I've skipped a Codemasters F1 game.

Triple post but worth it.

Oculus Rift, wow amazing doesn't do it justice. So once you set it up, you are transported into a kind of matrix. A ball of light appears, you touch it and are transported into like an American trailer with loads of electric equipment. Then a robot appears, you wave, it runs and hides, eventually comes back to you. He gives you discs that you have to hold and put into a machine, one of which 3d prints a gun and then targets appear, crazy first impressions as I felt I was there.

First  proper game I tried, Pcars2, I'm glad I bought Rift rather than PSVR as the resolution still seems low in the Rift.
But omg, I was driving a Formula Renalt around Silverstone smiling the whole way. You start naturally looking towards corners before you turn in. I have never had such a feeling playing a game, as I felt like I was in the actual car driving.
So the only negative is the resolution, especially when I've been gaming at 4K. But none of that matters when you're in the game, as you can't get this experience from a flat screen. Right, I'm off to race a 911 gt3 around a track.

Hughesy said:
Talking of VR, I really wish Codemasters would stop being lazy and support it for F1 like they have for the Dirt series. As it stands I won't be buying this year's F1, which would be the first time I've skipped a Codemasters F1 game.
So you mean... Skip it in the current EGO engine games? Only GRID:Autosport and DIRT Rally have a VR support to my knowledge and both use the old engine (Whatever you call it. The new one is EGO3 though)

It's still the same engine, just updated, they added support to that version and can still. They gave the reason that the ui was hard to do, not that it doesn't support it.

Playing Pcars2 in VR and still like wow. My knee is killing me, but I can't stop. I will be trying other games before I go to sleep. But this is as close as I'll ever get to feeling like I'm racing. This has confirmed to me that any PC racing sim that doesn't have VR I won't be buying.

Hughesy said:
Already earned enough V-bucks for next season's battle pass. Cross play works, but you only get V bucks for the platform you bought or unlocked them on. So mostly played on Switch as I already had some bucks on it. Completed all the weekly challenges just in time as its the last day, took hours to find a bloody llama.

Hopefully I can get some of week two challenges done tomorrow before my Rift arrives. Talking of VR, I really wish Codemasters would stop being lazy and support it for F1 like they have for the Dirt series. As it stands I won't be buying this year's F1, which would be the first time I've skipped a Codemasters F1 game.

Yeah I considered skipping F1 2018 this year but now I'll probably just get it later around Christmas time as there are a few features that intrigue me but I don't want my career mode save to get caught up in a patching up mess like my 2017 career was. Because my first 2017 career save somehow got caught up in I tall and made the game behave very weird it works fine now though but I had to ditch that career and completely reinstall the game to correct the problem. So to save myself the trouble I'll likely wait till Christmas and get it then. I'll make do with 2017 till then.

Woke up today and did 20 laps around Hockenheim in the Formula X car in Pcars2. The sensation is incredible, when playing on a flat screen you miss so much compared to using VR. 

Also last night I played Elite Dangerous in VR, it's amazing the difference it makes to the game.

Edit: So I thought I'd give Lucky's Tale a go as it's free with Rift, really cool experience. Wasn't sure how a 3rd person type platformer would work, the answer is really well. It's in the mold of Nintendo or classic Rare games, unlike Pcars2 it looks really clean and sharp. 

You can actually improve Pcars2 look by using supersampling, but my 980 can't handle that. My PC will get a new GPU at some point just for VR.
I thought I'd use VR only in racing sims, but when done right other types of games are great in VR.

Another awesome VR game, Robo Cop. Honestly feel like the terminator when playing it, it's so immersive. A robot shot at me, I caught it and threw it back at him lol.

Edit: Disadvantages of VR, wearing the headset playing a game, taking it off to see it's raining for the first time in 3 weeks, and it just so happens I have washing outside drying. Fail.

Hughesy said:
Woke up today and did 20 laps around Hockenheim in the Formula X car in Pcars2. The sensation is incredible, when playing on a flat screen you miss so much compared to using VR. 

Also last night I played Elite Dangerous in VR, it's amazing the difference it makes to the game.

Edit: So I thought I'd give Lucky's Tale a go as it's free with Rift, really cool experience. Wasn't sure how a 3rd person type platformer would work, the answer is really well. It's in the mold of Nintendo or classic Rare games, unlike Pcars2 it looks really clean and sharp. 

You can actually improve Pcars2 look by using supersampling, but my 980 can't handle that. My PC will get a new GPU at some point just for VR.
I thought I'd use VR only in racing sims, but when done right other types of games are great in VR.

Another awesome VR game, Robo Cop. Honestly feel like the terminator when playing it, it's so immersive. A robot shot at me, I caught it and threw it back at him lol.

Edit: Disadvantages of VR, wearing the headset playing a game, taking it off to see it's raining for the first time in 3 weeks, and it just so happens I have washing outside drying. Fail.
yeah wish it would rain here tbh it's so hot where I live right now

@Lukedfrt Had two frustrating games in Fortnite last night, both of which I should have won. The first one it was me and another guy left, I clocked where he was and got some good shots off. Then he used a bounce pad and sniped me, the reason for my anger, he had 1hp, 1hp left! So you can't get any closer to not winning than that.

The next game it was the same situation, this time the guy kept hiding, I closed in on him and then boom I was killed by a trap. Frustrated because I had a jump pad and was going to use it, but decided to go on foot, but mistake.

That's mad haha, i've lost a game when someone had 3hp left.. That was gutting!! Sounds like you're not far from a win though  :)

I punched my leg really hard when I noticed he had 1hp, I now have a pretty big bruise :joy:
Im definitely getting closer and more confident. I rarely stay in one place and go looking for action. Just waiting for this week's battle pass challenges to start. 

Edit: Wow some of this week's challenges look pretty hard.

Oh I already did all the birthday challenges and got the gear :D Done 3 of the 7 weekly challenges, but I might struggle with getting explosive weapons kills, as I don't think I've ever killed anyone with those weapons.

Edit: You know to call It a night when  you get killed by campers 6 games in a row.... 

Reinstalled GTA 5 as the nightclub update looks good but need just under a Million to buy the cheapest one, wish they triple the payouts from the missions so people who don't buy the shark cards get the chance to buy these things.

Reinstalled GTA 5 as the nightclub update looks good but need just under a Million to buy the cheapest one, wish they triple the payouts from the missions so people who don't buy the shark cards get the chance to buy these things.
Don't get me started about how I hate GTA V for making the default gameplay much less fun than IV.

5 hours of racing in VR last night with @RevolvingPrawn and it was awesome. Most races we were very close, and even closer in qualifying. More than once our laps were within 0.064 of each other, can't get much closer than  that. VR has made me slightly quicker, but better than that I make less mistakes and set pretty consistent lap times. 
That session last night made me even less likely to buy F1 18 without VR, Come on Codemasters you did it for Dirt Rally, now do it for you flagship game. 

@Lukedfrt I WON a game in Fortnite! It was three left and I took them all out myself haha, almost dropped my Switch in excitement. The most hilarious thing was I was using the joy con's rather than my Pro controller, so aiming is harder, man that winning feeling is so good. 

Indeed, when  you've played so many games and come so close, the release of adrenaline when you finally win is amazing. So I was using the joy con's and not wearing headphones and just using the Switch speakers lol, yet I won. Normally without headphones it's really hard to play, yet I got 9 kills in total, competed one of the weekly challenges in the process and won.

Onto another subject, No Man's Sky Next is amazing and more in line with pre release information. What's not amazing, it keeps crashing over and over on a curtain planet, so now I don't want to play until its fixed because you can lose hours of gameplay. Also no VR support was added, which sucks after it was hinted at. 
Apparently changing my time zone to EST fixes it so reddit says, which is weird if true. 

I just won a game on squads with a bunch of random Germans :lol: They carried me a bit haha..

No mans sky never really interested me, although i have read that it's supposed to be very good now.. maybe i'll pick it up at some point, or hopefully it'll come on PS+ 

Haha I almost won squads as a solo last night, took out a few teams myself as I was geared up. Almost completed all the weekly challenges, just need two more kills with explosive weapons.

For someone who loves space NMS is the perfect game for me, well it is now anyway. I seem to not get crashes if I set my Pro to 1080p rather than 4k, annoyingly you have to do that from the ps settings rather than in game. I'm just hoping it gets VR support on PC soon, that would take it to the next level. 

Talking of VR, Nvidia are annoying the next gen GPU's on the 20th, something I need as VR is so demanding. 

Edit: Finally completed every week 3 challenge in Fortnite. I'll be playing it a lot tomorrow when week 4 starts, when my new headphones get here.