The Game Thread!

They didn't, it's a 3rd party program you can use but it's not proper VR at all.

So as I'll only be using a controller, I'm so happy they have made the handling feel a lot better when using one compared to 17 which I hated when not using a wheel. 
It also looks great at 4K 60fps HDR. Thank goodness you can turn the middle halo pillar off, with VR it wouldn't be a problem as it would be 3D with normal depth perception, which isn't something you get with a flat screen.

This is the first Codemasters F1 game i haven't purchased at release  :o I'll pick it up at some point, but i didn't play last years that much.

Hughesy said:
They didn't, it's a 3rd party program you can use but it's not proper VR at all.

So as I'll only be using a controller, I'm so happy they have made the handling feel a lot better when using one compared to 17 which I hated when not using a wheel. 
It also looks great at 4K 60fps HDR. Thank goodness you can turn the middle halo pillar off, with VR it wouldn't be a problem as it would be 3D with normal depth perception, which isn't something you get with a flat screen.

Yeah I got F1 2018 I was originally going to wait but I bought it earlier so I didn't have to go through the headache of buying the Brawn and Williams as DLC later as I liked the idea of playing with those cars. I haven't played it yet as I don't want my career to go crash and burn as CM's patching forced me to abandon my first career on 2017. The game still works I just had to delete my save files and uninstall and reinstall it because CM's patches made the controls go all weird. Plus I've got careers on the go on 2016 and 2017 so I decided to finish those first before starting on 2018 plus the extra time will  help give them time to get some patches out. I must admit the new rule changes and the press interviews I think are going to really make things interesting. Ultimately in the end that's what sold it to me. Had it not been for that I might not have bothered and in fact like you I nearly decided not to. I know I can't afford VR but I've got my new graphics cards and screen working now so just need to get things up and running.

Lukedfrt said:
This is the first Codemasters F1 game i haven't purchased at release  :o I'll pick it up at some point, but i didn't play last years that much.
Yeah I don't play the F1 games as much as I used to. I almost didn't bother with 18. Having to restart my career after doing 3 seasons on 2017 till CM screwed my save files with their patching was a bummer and because of that I've struggled to kind of get the motivation to start again until recently plus I've als obeen busy with other games as well. I like the new improvements to 18 and I've been watching some of Aarava's vids of it amnd I have to say it looks impressive but I'm  going to wait a bit finish up careers I have on the go on 16 and 17 and maybe start on 18 once I'm done there. I've lost save files due to file corruption a few times especially on FIFA but never to patching.

Always handy getting a random power cut mid way through a 50% distance race, thank goodness I saved like 30 seconds before and thank goodness Codemasters games have it....

Hughesy said:
Always handy getting a random power cut mid way through a 50% distance race, thank goodness I saved like 30 seconds before and thank goodness Codemasters games have it....

yeah having saves at the right moment certainly helps the one on Friday certainly did as I had to kind o shut my PC down the more aggressive way because of my TV because I wouldn't have been able to see what I was doing thankfully because of my new screen I should b fine now. But yeah having to spend the better part of £1000 in a matter of days is not good. The graphics cards were at least planned the TV was not. I will say though this screen is impressive and F1 2016 looks beautiful on it. Makes me wonder how nice some of my other games will look once I get in and play them.  Although the new GTX 1070's may be helping improve this as well. Either way I'm glad for it.

America is such a messed up country. A gaming tournament was being broadcast live on Twitch, when suddenly a guy started shooting the players. Just before the camera cut to just the game from showing the players, you see a laser pointed at a black players chest. Apparently 4 people are dead and many injured, but it's ok as owning a gun is a god given right for all Americans....

Hughesy said:
America is such a messed up country. A gaming tournament was being broadcast live on Twitch, when suddenly a guy started shooting the players. Just before the camera cut to just the game from showing the players, you see a laser pointed at a black players chest. Apparently 4 people are dead and many injured, but it's ok as owning a gun is a god given right for all Americans....

Indeed and Trump blames video games for the mess. No Trump video games aren't the problem your laws are the problem as President it is your job I believe to solve it. Idiot.

Could you imagine if it were a Fortnite or PUBG tournament rather than Madden? The video game violence excuse would be jumped on by but jobs.

Anybody else tried photo mode in F1 2018? One of my favourite things about it :)

no but then I've not played it yet. I've got it but have decided to hold off on playing until CM get some patches out for it. Because their patches ruined my first career on 2017 so I'm just continuing careers on 2016/17 until I'm finished those then come back and try 18 then. Or at least that's my plan.

@RevolvingPrawn Not yet, having too much fun racing. First race was hilarious as both Ferraris and Hamilton broke down, Alsonso ended up 3rd and I was 4th in my Renault. A+ for realism.

Hughesy said:
@RevolvingPrawn Not yet, having too much fun racing. First race was hilarious as both Ferraris and Hamilton broke down, Alsonso ended up 3rd and I was 4th in my Renault. A+ for realism.
yeah Alonso's AI is really powerful based on the vids I've seen you should see some of Aarava's vids on the game as some of them have been hilarious

So I just did Monaco. What an absolute shitshow.

This happened at Baku too, but to a smaller degree. The 2 stopping AI (and me) get stuck behind 1 stopping AI and it just completely messes up the results. Also, playing on a controller at Monaco is horrific. It's fine for a few laps, but then the tyres start to overheat and there's a few corners that it completely screws you over on. On a wheel it wouldn't really be a problem, but you don't have the same capability with a controller just to turn less because you're barely making the corner anyway. I've really enjoyed every other race, but Monaco is fucked.

So I just did Monaco. What an absolute ****.

This happened at Baku too, but to a smaller degree. The 2 stopping AI (and me) get stuck behind 1 stopping AI and it just completely messes up the results. Also, playing on a controller at Monaco is horrific. It's fine for a few laps, but then the tyres start to overheat and there's a few corners that it completely screws you over on. On a wheel it wouldn't really be a problem, but you don't have the same capability with a controller just to turn less because you're barely making the corner anyway. I've really enjoyed every other race, but Monaco is ****.

Monaco has always been a nasty one at least to me so I' m kind of used to that :p Must admit I'm looking forward to playing but promised myself I'd finish 16 and 17 first so sticking with that plan for now. Must admit though the fact the AI are a little more racy is good in that it might encourage some closer racing between me and them my only concern is will they be too aggressive for me but I do have room to turn it down if necessary so I'm not too worried. Either way I'll start by using my 2017 level setting as a starting point and work from there or at least that's my plan atm. Must admit I like how the game has used the F1 theme tune at the start and end of every race though. Not too sure about the new logo and graphics F1 use now but the theme tune is good. Not quite as good as the chain the tune BBC used  but it'll do.

@RevolvingPrawn That result has surely saved Vandoorne career :joy:

Also with that cool looking green and black photo? I've looked at the options and don't see a special filters.

Do you find the ai too slow in qualifying? As I do, just put it on pole at China with a bloody Renault, but as with every other race  I'm expecting to get passed pretty fast. You can't even change difficulty during the weekend. I am going to up the difficulty for the next weekend and see how I cope.

Hughesy said:
@RevolvingPrawn That result has surely saved Vandoorne career :joy:

Also with that cool looking green and black photo? I've looked at the options and don't see a special filters.

Do you find the ai too slow in qualifying? As I do, just put it on pole at China with a bloody Renault, but as with every other race  I'm expecting to get passed pretty fast. You can't even change difficulty during the weekend. I am going to up the difficulty for the next weekend and see how I cope.
So even though I'm still annoyed about the ridiculous results, I'm way less annoyed about the overheating tyres now. Also feeling kinda nooby too.

The solution is exactly what I said it wasn't. Just turn less lol. I was hitting nearly 110 on the front left tyre temp by lap 6 with hypers and barely making some of the corners at full lock. Tonight I did some testing, and had the hypers go 13 laps at 99-101 before feeling any drop-off, simply by never using full lock on the controller at any point. I also set a lap time 0.1 faster than my fastest lap in the actual race I did lol.

AI quali speed is difficult to answer. Yes and no. Seems to be circuit dependant. Baku I think I qualied 6th, which seemed about right. And at Monaco a was 2nd, about a tenth behind Ricciardo on pole, before he got grid pens. But at China and Spain I got pole at both by something like 6 or 7 tenths. What difficulty are you on? I'm using 94 atm, but I change it depending on how good or bad I am at the next track on the calendar lol.

Edit: That filter on photo mode is called night vision or something like that. First filter in the list you can choose is called Punchy, just keep pressing to the right and you'll find it.

Fortnite is officially a chick magnet, just throwing it out there for you. Currently talking to a women in dm's just because of a Fortnite video :sunglasses:

Like me she loves dogs and doesn't want to have kids. If only she didn't live in New York :joy:
Just teamed up with her in Fortnite and she's really nice. If Carlsberg did girlfriends, loves dogs, doesn't want kids and is a gamer.

Haha you're not wrong, I knew being a sad games geek would pay off eventually.
It won't come to anything due to the distance, but it's a new gaming friend at least. Mind you, if this was my bro he'd be on a plane to New York already :joy:

Imagine though if it did go somewhere. So how did you meet? I posted a Fortnite video on Twitter and she liked it. How romantic.....

Playing again tonight, but due to time zones won't be until 11pm my time. I must not get drunk, I must not get drunk.

I am so sick of F1 2018 public lobbies. Can't believe after 8 years of knowing exactly what is about to happen I continue to subject myself to it. If anyone out there (@Lukedfrt get the damn game already) is up for a race hit me up.

Without warning they have disabled recording in Fortnite on Switch, just when I really needed it.
I played a whole game with 0 shields, there were 5 of us left, I took 3 out and then the last guy got me down to 1hp. I just spammed walls and kept moving back, all he had to do was push to win. But I managed to use 1 bandage, then in a split second as he came around the corner I switch to my sawn-off shotgun and blasted his head off and won.

He must have been so mad,  because in my position I should have lost. I was so happy until I held the record button down only for it to say this software doesn't support recording. It did before today's patch, feels bad man. Without that feature I wouldn't have come into contact with the women I play it with.

I will pick it up at some point, but there's so many games i want atm.. And i'm working my way through all my old games still haha.. Currently replaying Uncharted 4.

Hughesy said:
Without warning they have disabled recording in Fortnite on Switch, just when I really needed it.
I played a whole game with 0 shields, there were 5 of us left, I took 3 out and then the last guy got me down to 1hp. I just spammed walls and kept moving back, all he had to do was push to win. But I managed to use 1 bandage, then in a split second as he came around the corner I switch to my sawn-off shotgun and blasted his head off and won.

He must have been so mad,  because in my position I should have lost. I was so happy until I held the record button down only for it to say this software doesn't support recording. It did before today's patch, feels bad man. Without that feature I wouldn't have come into contact with the women I play it with.
Maybe it's a bug or something, i remember last week when i couldn't mute people which was a nightmare.. I can't handle angry german children screaming at me down the mic because i'm not following them  :#

Angry German children, you never told me you played Fortnite with Vettel :trollface:

Hopefully it is just a bug though, I wish this particular match was on Xbox, because I just couldn't stop laughing that I managed to win.