The Game Thread!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, UP100 said:

Well to be honest considering all of my 2 (unused luckily!) Epic accounts have been compromised already, so touching anything Epic has done is not really ideal to me... It's unfair to call everyone a manchild for reasons that are quite decent, such as... well losing accounts to hackers in 2 different incidents...

Thankfully I don't have an account from Epic as I've never bought from them. Most of the games I've bought are either from Steam or Origin though. I do have an account on Uplay though and Microsoft's store for the XB1 though I likely wil l add PC to that list once I get Windows 10 up and running.

Edited by sjsharp2010
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UP100 said:

I don't believe this was a thing back when Epic's stuff got hacked in 2016 at least. The attack resulted in the exposure of 530k accounts including usernames, email addresses and salted MD5 hashes of passwords.

It also seems that last security breach seems to be from January 2019?

One of those accounts is still mine and I still get emails about unsuccessful login attempts, which is great to read considering it's even more clutter to my emails.

Fair enough, but it’s not like Steam hasn’t had breaches in security. You could just contact them and get the account deleted, then you won’t get emails about it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sjsharp2010 said:

Thankfully I don't have an account from Epic as I've never bought from them. Most of the games I've bought are either from Steam or Origin though. I do have an account on Uplay though and Microsoft's store for the XB1 though I likely wil l add PC to that list once I get Windows 10 up and running.

When you setup Windows 10 you have to use your email so the account for the Windows store is setup no matter what. Just make sure you use the same one as you do on Xbox.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hughesy said:

When you setup Windows 10 you have to use your email so the account for the Windows store is setup no matter what. Just make sure you use the same one as you do on Xbox.

That's what I was planning to do as I have most of my stuff linked to the one email account.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just bought Metro Exodus on PC, won't be playing tonight though as its a 50GB dl. So although I said Xbox One X would still be my main gaming platform, playing at framerates between 90 and 240fps is so good, it's hard to play games at 30fps. With my GPU I'll need to turn some settings down to hit a high frame rate, but that's no bother. Really want a new GPU, 2070rtx is so tempting, so tempting, but the price is insane for what is classed as a mid tier GPU.

Edited by Hughesy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hughesy said:

Just bought Metro Exodus on PC, won't be playing tonight though as its a 50GB dl. So although I said Xbox One X would still be my main gaming platform, playing at framerates between 90 and 240fps is so good, it's hard to play games at 30fps. With my GPU I'll need to turn some settings down to hit a high frame rate, but that's no bother. Really want a new GPU, 2070rtx is so tempting, so tempting, but the price is insane for what is classed as a mid tier GPU.

Yeah that's the one thing I like about PC gaming you're only limited by the hardware you have. Just tried Mass Effect Andromeda on Windows 10 for the first time as I redownloaded it today and loaded up an old save really but the switch I think has helped MEA run better on my system as not only did the gameplay seem much smoother even in crowded areas as I do get some frame rate stuttering in crowded areas and I sometimes get graphical glitches and screen flickering when landing on planets like Havarl or Voeld and they didn't happen this time. I'll still need to do a full playthrough of the game to be sure as I did that once after a patch came out and it looked fine on a test then did a full playthrough and the glitches appeared again. But everything seems to be running quite smoothly so far since I've made the switch

• Like 1

Nearly went ahead and bought a 2070RTX GPU today but pulled out at the last second. I'm going to need to upgrade at some point, not only for the 240hz screen,  but also for my VR headset. In demanding games like Pcars2 I have to turn everything down as it is. No idea how demanding NMS will be in VR, but playing normally it can be pretty demanding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hughesy said:

Nearly went ahead and bought a 2070RTX GPU today but pulled out at the last second. I'm going to need to upgrade at some point, not only for the 240hz screen,  but also for my VR headset. In demanding games like Pcars2 I have to turn everything down as it is. No idea how demanding NMS will be in VR, but playing normally it can be pretty demanding.

yeah it can be annoying having to turn things down especially in games that have really nice graphics in them Had to that a bit on Windows 7. I'm not having to so much with Windows 10 yet but that's mainly because my computer seems to be running like clockwork even the temps aren't as high as they were as they're at least a good 10 degrees cooler as I was getting temps in the 40's-50's Celsius  playing some of my more demanding games whereas atm it's now hovering around 30. Mind you I don't think I've pushed Windows 10 that hard yet by playing something that can demand a lot out of it such as the F1 games since I've made the switch  so that could change when I do. But then I don't have the F1 games installed at the moment. I will be installing them again at some point just need to work my way around to it.

• Like 1

I tried to play Fortnite whilst listening to music, couldn't hear a damn thing in game lol. I love that just after I get the kill the lyrics are I'm the greatest 😂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hughesy said:

I tried to play Fortnite whilst listening to music, couldn't hear a damn thing in game lol. I love that just after I get the kill the lyrics are I'm the greatest 😂

Only game i listen to external music is Mechanic 2018, i normal have a online radio playing.

• Like 1

Metro Exodus with ray tracing enabled is amazing. Even though it's quite demanding with it on, it's well worth it.

• Like 1

Just got Fallout 4 VR edition for £8, insane price compared to Steam. I loved Skyrim VR so hopefully this is good.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2019 at 9:02 PM, Hughesy said:

Metro Exodus with ray tracing enabled is amazing. Even though it's quite demanding with it on, it's well worth it.

Yeah I hear it works quiet well with most games. My card doesn't have it but I'm happy with what I've got given I don't use VR

• Like 1

Turns out my 6700k is bottlenecking the GPU quite badly which seems crazy. In Fallout 4 VR GPU usage is quite low but its locks to 45fps which isnr good in VR, only got it to 90fps like it should be by lowering internal resolution to 40%. Normal Fallout 4 was badly optimised so this isn't a surprise, but still the CPU bottlenecks the 2070 in other games.

Feels weird being a proper PC gamer again and even using a desk, I haven't used a desk for my PC isnt over 7 years lol.

I haven't seen anyone talk about F1 2019, sounds awesome with F2 being included. I bet we still dont get VR support though. I'm probably getting it for PC as I want to play it at over 120fps. Plus I'll be able to use my wheel.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hughesy said:

Turns out my 6700k is bottlenecking the GPU quite badly which seems crazy. In Fallout 4 VR GPU usage is quite low but its locks to 45fps which isnr good in VR, only got it to 90fps like it should be by lowering internal resolution to 40%. Normal Fallout 4 was badly optimised so this isn't a surprise, but still the CPU bottlenecks the 2070 in other games.

Feels weird being a proper PC gamer again and even using a desk, I haven't used a desk for my PC isnt over 7 years lol.

I haven't seen anyone talk about F1 2019, sounds awesome with F2 being included. I bet we still dont get VR support though. I'm probably getting it for PC as I want to play it at over 120fps. Plus I'll be able to use my wheel.

Yeah given I don't spend as many hours playing the F1 games as I used to I'm not sure I'm going to be bothering with 2019 atm but yeah  having F2 does make it sound interesting. But tbh I think it needs more than that to make 2019 worth my while buying it. For example I've not even completed a full season on 2018 yet mostly due to not having enough time. So given those circumstances and the fact the calendar is identical to 2018's anyway it's left me questioning whether to buy this years game. Maybe there will be a hook that I can't resist and there quiet often is but I'll need to know it before I'll commit. I nearly said no to 18 until I heard about the Interview and rule change stuff and I still enjoy 2018 but I'll need more than just the addition of F2 to convince me

• Like 2

Just came 2nd again in Fortnite, I'd love to headbutt something right now, but I'll go to sleep instead. Just can't seem to get this first win since moving to PC and kb/m

• Like 1

Just bought F1 2018 for PC even though I already have it on Xbox. Just wanted to use my wheel, even though I've spent like 100 hours playing it on Xbox with a controller, my very first lap using my wheel I was over 2 seconds a lap faster, just shows how much I struggle using a controller compared to a wheel.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hughesy said:

Just bought F1 2018 for PC even though I already have it on Xbox. Just wanted to use my wheel, even though I've spent like 100 hours playing it on Xbox with a controller, my very first lap using my wheel I was over 2 seconds a lap faster, just shows how much I struggle using a controller compared to a wheel.

Yeah 2018's still a good game my only criticism about career is I think the contract system in the pervious games were better in that teams approached you if they were interested in you instead of you negotiating with them. I still liked the ideas of the rule changes and the interviews but I don't think the contract system didn't really need an overhaul. Though the choosing your rival again was good.

• Like 1

I have some pretty serious problems with F1 18 on PC. Frame rate is great, over 120fps most of the time, but every now and then the screen locks up for a split second which then makes me crash. I've tried all sorts to fix it but nothing works, starting to really do my head in...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hughesy said:

I have some pretty serious problems with F1 18 on PC. Frame rate is great, over 120fps most of the time, but every now and then the screen locks up for a split second which then makes me crash. I've tried all sorts to fix it but nothing works, starting to really do my head in...

yeah that happens to me a lot in F1 2017 can be quiet annoying Doesn't happen to me as much on 18 though. It's something CM need to get a grip on I think because as you say it does end up causing crashes because you think you're fine and ,making the corner then bam in the wall you go. Never had his problem in the earlier games

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Seems a lot of people have it. With MSI Afterburner running it seems like the game sends the GPU into power as s mode, as the voltage plummets all of a sudden which causes the lock ups. I've now disabled afterburner even though I like to see how my system is running as sometimes games dont like it.

Other than that though I'm loving it. Even though  I've gone from playing it at 4k with HDR on Xbox to 1080p on PC it still looks better. Obviously the high frame rate helps but the graphical quality maxed out is awesome. 

I'm struggling a bit playing it today, I was up until 2am last night playing it and using a FFB wheel kills me. My body isnt cut out of physical activities but I suck using a controller no matter how much I practice.

Edit: Did a whole practice session without the game hanging, can't say for certain that I've fixed it, but can't test further as I'm in too much pain to use my wheel right now.

Edited by Hughesy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hughesy said:

Seems a lot of people have it. With MSI Afterburner running it seems like the game sends the GPU into power as s mode, as the voltage plummets all of a sudden which causes the lock ups. I've now disabled afterburner even though I like to see how my system is running as sometimes games dont like it.

Other than that though I'm loving it. Even though  I've gone from playing it at 4k with HDR on Xbox to 1080p on PC it still looks better. Obviously the high frame rate helps but the graphical quality maxed out is awesome. 

I'm struggling a bit playing it today, I was up until 2am last night playing it and using a FFB wheel kills me. My body isnt cut out of physical activities but I suck using a controller no matter how much I practice.

Edit: Did a whole practice session without the game hanging, can't say for certain that I've fixed it, but can't test further as I'm in too much pain to use my wheel right now.

Yeah it's the same with me as I do enjoy 2017 despite those problems but it can be annoying I'm just glad for the flashback option in those circumstances but I must admit I do prefer trying to limit my usage of the flashbacks so I'm not over cheating but it can be difficult when facing problems like that

• Like 1

Seems not having MSI Afterburner running whilst playing F1 18 has stopped the issue I had.

This is the first Codemasters F1 game that has had good wheel FFB. Normally it feels disconnected and numb, but now it feels a lot more planted. Still not on Pcars 2 level, but a big step up from the previous games.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I did it, finally got that first win since switching to PC and mouse & keyboard. It's crazy as it was probably the worst start to the game I've had. On landing I got into a fight but only had a grey pistol. He got me down to 10hp but I managed to get away. Right until the end I had no health but found a drop and suddenly I was looking good. Never been so happy to just get one kill lol. Also my mic was on, but not my headset, it was actually my Oculus Rift mic.

Edited by Hughesy
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I know, I know, triple post but nobody visits here anymore so I'm basically talking to myself. This is the first time I've tried recording VR. Didn't know this at the time, but it basically records the view just from the left lens/my left eyes perspective which is why it's off centre. Not great driving, but it's been a while and I feel like **** today. Had to compress this a lot so the quality is terrible as Codemasters are stingy and only allow 48mb videos.

Edited by Hughesy
  • Like 2