Sign in to follow this  

Online - Clean race, get hit from behind, get Impact Rating 0.5...

Title explains everything, really. I was in an Online Touring Car race and as always, I tried to keep clean, even picking lines into corners to keep away from the inevitable pile-ups. All good so far... So, coming up to the last lap of 4 I was in 2nd and catching the leader. I hadn't hit a soul, nor a barrier and hadn't even cut a corner to receive a time penalty. Coming over the Start/Finish line and going into the first corner, which happened to be a hairpin, the driver in 3rd steamed into the back of me. I managed to maintain control, staying on the black stuff, and going on to end the race maintaining my 2nd place. The track was Mont Tremblant, I can't remember the track configuration.

Now, imagine my surprise at the end of the race when I learned via the XP and winnings screen that I had added an Impact Rating of 0.5.

Surely this is incorrect...?

It happens to me all the time, getting hard to get a good impact rating now. I'm constantly having someone steam into the back of my car to use mine as a brake. It's the biggest downside to multiplayer. 

It happens to me all the time, getting hard to get a good impact rating now. I'm constantly having someone steam into the back of my car to use mine as a brake. It's the biggest downside to multiplayer. 
Agreed...

I really would like to know more about how these impact ratings are calculated too. I have gotten rear-ended more times than I would like to remember in all types of games. In fact in Shift 2 it got so bad I started putting targets on the back of my cars. Part of it is the way I play, I slow down early to get back to the throttle early. It is just the way I raced karts and it is just my style of playing/driving. But some folks just take this as a way of stopping themselves.

But as far as why you would get a drop in impact rating for someone else hitting you makes no sense what so ever. 

I really would like to know more about how these impact ratings are calculated too. I have gotten rear-ended more times than I would like to remember in all types of games. In fact in Shift 2 it got so bad I started putting targets on the back of my cars. Part of it is the way I play, I slow down early to get back to the throttle early. It is just the way I raced karts and it is just my style of playing/driving. But some folks just take this as a way of stopping themselves.

But as far as why you would get a drop in impact rating for someone else hitting you makes no sense what so ever. 
I don't understand it either. It is the responsibility of the driver behind to not run into the driver in front. Those are the rules in racing period. If someone hits me from behind, it's their fault and they should suffer the impact ratings hit, or at least most of it. But don't knock me from a 0.0 rating to 0.3 or more just because someone slams into the back of me. I got cleaned out several times today by people that didn't slow down at all going into hard 90 degree turns. It killed my car and cost me a lot of money to repair. Everyone makes mistakes because none of us are perfect, I understand that, but if you can't see or don't know where you're going, SLOW THE EFF DOWN!

I would bet a lot of money that most people that hit people in the rear, do not even realise that most courses within this game are marked with signs on the left/right or sometimes both! Sides of the track that countdown from 1000 to 0 in some places of tracks along the straights. 

Although if it happens after 3 laps and it is on the 4th lap it was not an accident. 

Would love to know how's these are calculated.
Too often then not I'm taking my racing line and someone believes that they're going to fit down the inside. Then what do you know. I'm flying off the into the outside gravel or wall and ending the race with a green instead of white or yellow instead of green.

Happens to me too.

The stupid part is a lot of drivers use this as a tactic to overtake a position.
Wait for a turn, hit the car from behind and drive on like nothing happened while the car thats been hit is doing a spin out in the grass or had their steering ruined in the wall....

When someone does this the driver being hit shouldn't be penalized but the driver doing the hit should be penalized instantly. Give them a "cross the white line"-penalty and a big repair bill and this sort of behavior will stop. (yes i know thats going overboard but something have to be done. :P)

Pretty simple solution to that. Everyone, that has a bad impact rating (meaning red) gets corner assist on. They won't stand a chance in winning any race but have a chance to better themselves. that guarantees, that all clean racers won't get hit by surprise by reckless morons. Of course, only, when impact ratings for hit drivers (from behind) are fixed.

Photonik said:
Pretty simple solution to that. Everyone, that has a bad impact rating (meaning red) gets corner assist on. They won't stand a chance in winning any race but have a chance to better themselves. that guarantees, that all clean racers won't get hit by surprise by reckless morons. Of course, only, when impact ratings for hit drivers (from behind) are fixed.

Actually, that's not a bad idea.... +1

Yep I have an ugly orange color rating, i guess that is not good like green would be, and i never drive aggressive enough to intentionally wreck others or take advantage of the person in front of me on the corners. but man i have been popped so many times from behind and i get into a pinball type wreck with others, so naturally i get a bad rating, lol. oh well, it is called an Arcade racer for a reason, you can't get away from idiot drivers and an idiot rating system when it has this much of arcade built into it.

MLT24 said:
Yep I have an ugly orange color rating, i guess that is not good like green would be...
And then there's white... Which is usually a short love affair...

@MLT24 When you start pinballing do not fight it hit your flashback ASAP! It will be far less damage and your rating will not suffer.

There is as many or more people sitting the middle of the track that need to hit the damn button. I know they think if they hit this it will let all of the people behind them go. Well guess who else you are letting go? The leader's of the race! Plus the other people that are ramming you are not happy with you now too. So good luck getting them to give you any space. 

Please be kind and hit rewind. Except for dvds that is the other guy's problem.

Rapster said:
And then there's white... Which is usually a short love affair...
I wouldn't say that. At least in Cat.C I drive with 'whites' most of the time. And by the time you learn to avoid bad drivers. If I see, that yellows or reds are behind me and a critical corner is coming up, I usually slow down (and let them pass) or take a line, that no one else would take. It might cost me 2 or 3 seconds, but in the long term I end up somewhere at the front anyway. That keeps me out of trouble most of the time and I managed to keep white from day one, exept from 3 occasions, where I dropped to green and once to yellow due to being hit pretty hard.
So only when I know that whites or greens are behind me, I actually take the racing line through a corner and it works.

If you really want to get under these guys skin though. Just follow them as close as possible in a corner, & when I say close I mean touching their bumper. And just stay on the gas. They will not be able to steer and go straight into wall or gravel. But the tricky part is when you have to let off so you can make the turn. But generally the dufus in front has already done that for you. 

But a word of caution: If you are easily offended by foul language you may not wanna do this. Because the people you are dealing with are the one's that can dish it out but, they cannot take it.

If you really want to get under these guys skin though. Just follow them as close as possible in a corner, & when I say close I mean touching their bumper. And just stay on the gas. They will not be able to steer and go straight into wall or gravel. But the tricky part is when you have to let off so you can make the turn. But generally the dufus in front has already done that for you. 

But a word of caution: If you are easily offended by foul language you may not wanna do this. Because the people you are dealing with are the one's that can dish it out but, they cannot take it.
I wouldn't worry so much about the foul language but the fact that they'll start a votekick war out of it. Funny how it's okay for them to do it to you but as soon as you fight back VOTEKICKS VOTEKICKS EVERYWHERE.

As much as I hate to admit it, I miss how Grid 2's votekick was pretty much unusable unless the lobby was half-empty. Too much time for the noobs and rammers to gang up and kick out the people that actually drive properly. I suppose that in a few months when most of them have got bored it'll be the other way around though, and it'll work how it's intended to.

How do you initiate a vote kick and does it work in Online Custom Cups?

I only really play Online Custom Cups and was in a group yesterday where five of us were white and this lovely chap/chapette who was amber. He was a dirty <insert-swear-word> and quickly turned some of us to greens and ambers, the person wouldn't even let you drive by the side of them. As soon as you started coming up the inside/outside, on a straight, a bend or a corner, 'Bang!' into your side they went.

Anyhow, I then tried initiating a kick vote, but couldn't work out how. I think I had read somewhere that you highlight their name and hit D-Pad Right, but that had no effect. Anyone know how?

I have no idea what my impact rating is, but I did have an online race a short while ago where I smashed into my opponent due to lag. That didn't have a huge affect on his car and we continued pretty close racing until I got a better run into a corner and passed on the outside. Looking at the mini-map I see his car spin out wildly yet he hadn't even been near me that time. Kinda worrying really, though expected due to the lovely Australian internet infrastructure...

Rapster said:
Anyone know how?
As you use gamepad, highlight name on lobby list, A button, (menu opens), highlight kick, A button.  ps - Host does insta-kick I discovered. :ar!

DJ007 said:
Rapster said:
Anyone know how?
As you use gamepad, highlight name on lobby list, A button, (menu opens), highlight kick, A button.  ps - Host does insta-kick I discovered. :ar!
Hi @DJ007, thanks for the info and apologies, my bad, but I use a Thrustmaster F430 FFB Wheel. I should've supplied that important bit of information. Obviously, I have remapped some buttons, so if I go via the information that 'Button A' for gamepad, which is 'Gear Up' in the manual, I should be all set to start kicking rammers! :D

Thanks for the help @DJ007 and for the heads-up regarding host insta-kicking. Much appreciated...

Photonik said:

Unfortunately this only applies for the ones just trolling. It doesnt solve the real problem which are drivers that doesnt bother do break in corners or that use this tactic(read below) to overtake positions:
Just follow them as close as possible in a corner, & when I say close I mean touching their bumper. And just stay on the gas. They will not be able to steer and go straight into wall or gravel. 
Those are the situations you have to address. The ones that smash into people in corners and the ones that takes you out on purpose. These people most often drives around with green or sometimes as yellow because they dont do it enough to become red. But thats enough to completely ruin the race for other people. 
I wish CM would actually address this and make it so that the driver coming from behind always is responsible to avoid bumping into the car in front. If you take a driver out like this, then you should receive a "white line" penalty until the driver you just ran of the road is in front of you again. This penalty will be negated(not be implemented) if the driver in front changes lane and rams into you while you try to overtake them. Simply put, if you see the white arrows marking a car nearby, you are not allowed to change lane to where that car is.If you ram someone out like this then you will have the penalty. And lastly. Receive the penalty more than 3 times during a race and you're disqualified from the race. 
Cars blocking the road after a crash will of course not cause cars coming from behind getting a penalty. 

If its too much then add it as an "clean race"-option which could be turned off an on. And make also play list be divided into a everything goes list and a clean racing list.

Do this and im sure you will see first corner crashing and crashing people out on purpose will disappear.

Photonik said:

Unfortunately this only applies for the ones just trolling. It doesnt solve the real problem which are drivers that doesnt bother do break in corners or that use this tactic(read below) to overtake positions:
Just follow them as close as possible in a corner, & when I say close I mean touching their bumper. And just stay on the gas. They will not be able to steer and go straight into wall or gravel. 
Those are the situations you have to address. The ones that smash into people in corners and the ones that takes you out on purpose. These people most often drives around with green or sometimes as yellow because they dont do it enough to become red. But thats enough to completely ruin the race for other people. 
I wish CM would actually address this and make it so that the driver coming from behind always is responsible to avoid bumping into the car in front. If you take a driver out like this, then you should receive a "white line" penalty until the driver you just ran of the road is in front of you again. This penalty will be negated(not be implemented) if the driver in front changes lane and rams into you while you try to overtake them. Simply put, if you see the white arrows marking a car nearby, you are not allowed to change lane to where that car is.If you ram someone out like this then you will have the penalty. And lastly. Receive the penalty more than 3 times during a race and you're disqualified from the race. 
Cars blocking the road after a crash will of course not cause cars coming from behind getting a penalty. 

If its too much then add it as an "clean race"-option which could be turned off an on. And make also play list be divided into a everything goes list and a clean racing list.

Do this and im sure you will see first corner crashing and crashing people out on purpose will disappear.
I think that would be seriously difficult to implement...

One thing I have noticed that has happened to me is by accident. Let me explain, the first corner I am in front and I get hit from behind knocking me off the track or turns me. Now driver #2 directly behind me was on the brakes in plenty of time with no intent of hitting me. Then #3 & sometimes #4 rams #2 in the rear and he hits me. In Nascar it is called "The Accordian Effect". But, it is almost impossible for driver #1 in any view to tell which driver did the ramming. Pretty much the first person to be blamed is driver #2. 

It sucks but, it is the breaks of the game.

Chicken42 said:
Its one of the unfortunate things about racing with online trolls.
They used to live under bridges scaring goats and stuff, now they live in condos with access to superfast Internet...

Damn trolls...