DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club

Meeeh. I set up the whole new season for tomorrow, and then it crashed when I was finished and I lost it. Can't be arsed to redo it again now, so I'll set it up to start on thursday instead.

And the next season is up!

Configured it so we get a head start tonight if we want to, start is 19:00 CET. 

Let's get this show on the road!

So, R5 it was. The car I've driven the least, haven't even upgraded it fully. 

And I gotta say it is an awful car. Understeers like crazy no matter how I try to set it up. A bit better on snow and ice, but still very understeery. Hit spectators on SS1, managed to pinball a lot on the rest, had no pace at all. Was largely a pain to drive it. Will be lucky to even get a top 10 from this disaster.

Cool, can't wait till after work to try my hand at this. I actually did surprisingly well in this week's 80s weekly so maybe I won't be last like I thought earlier.

Dytut said:

And I gotta say it is an awful car. Understeers like crazy no matter how I try to set it up. A bit better on snow and ice, but still very understeery. Hit spectators on SS1, managed to pinball a lot on the rest, had no pace at all. Was largely a pain to drive it. Will be lucky to even get a top 10 from this disaster.

I made the same experience in another league. I actually feared you might find a magic cure for its handling. Nice to know it was not my inaptitude. It is indeed terrible on tarmac, where it should in theory excel, having won in Monte Carlo and Corsica.

But there is hope: Sweden and Germany will be tough in the R5 (not as bad as Monte Carlo though), but it's  the best car of the class in Greece, Finland and Wales. At least that's my experience.

YoMrWhite said:
Dytut said:

I made the same experience in another league. I actually feared you might find a magic cure for its handling. Nice to know it was not my inaptitude. It is indeed terrible on tarmac, where it should in theory excel, having won in Monte Carlo and Corsica.

But there is hope: Sweden and Germany will be tough in the R5 (not as bad as Monte Carlo though), but it's  the best car of the class in Greece, Finland and Wales. At least that's my experience.

I think I started to glimpse how to drive it fast on the last few stages, where I actually managed to get it to oversteer a bit. But it involved being massively aggressive, and it was very easy to overdo it and spin or just be a tad too cautious and understeer into a rock at high speed. So I guess my aim is to try to manage decent speed in Germany. Will be interesting to see how fast @Headquake is with it, hopefully a good benchmark to see if I can manage to improve :-)

YoMrWhite said:
Dytut said:

I may be able to help here.... until yesterday I hated the R5, but too many were top on the leader boards with it in the weekly vs the BMW. So I setup a custom championship and ran it to see..... understeer like crazy.... ugh.

Typically I play with stock setups with only adjustment to gearing per track, to use the full gearbox. However, as I would in real life, I softened the front Springs to combat understeer... which didn't help much until the car was fully upgraded. 

Try to put the gears 5 to 7 clicks left of stock, and the springs on the main adjustment page just one click left... drives great for me, remember it's a RWD with a mid engine, it's balanced, but that can be bad sometimes. The lower gearing helps to let the back end "push" through turns.

It was either the BMW or Renault for me (drove the Ford in our previous 80s season) and ended up with the former. Probably the safer choice, I guess. Never really liked it when I've driven it before, but want to find out what all the fuzz is about (it's quite popular, isn't it?).

So, Monte... Quite uneventful rally, actually, no major mistakes. Apart from a quick spin on SS4 or 5 and a stupid jump-start on SS6 due to my absent-mindedness. the rest was pretty clean. Will be interesting to see what my final position will be (my guess is mid-tier).

Aw, i spun 180 right before the finish on stage 4, goddamn that half of Monte. :D

EDIT: damn, and stage 6 a big-ish spin too.

Horrible last few stages. I was on pace with dytut till stage 5 where I had a off that had me reset to stage, extremely lucky it wasnt a dnf. Then on stage 7 I was doing fairly well till I went barreling into the last hairpin like an idiot and got two wheels stuck on the ledge and had to reset to stage there as well.

I hadn't used the r5 much on tarmac, you guys weren't kidding about the understeer. I figure I like it best on gravel out of all the 80s cars so it will be worth dealing with this and Germany. 

Scyy said:
Horrible last few stages. I was on pace with dytut till stage 5 where I had a off that had me reset to stage, extremely lucky it wasnt a dnf. Then on stage 7 I was doing fairly well till I went barreling into the last hairpin like an idiot and got two wheels stuck on the ledge and had to reset to stage there as well.

I hadn't used the r5 much on tarmac, you guys weren't kidding about the understeer. I figure I like it best on gravel out of all the 80s cars so it will be worth dealing with this and Germany. 
I sure hope the R5 will be better on the slippery stuff :-)

BTW @SkyRex, I set up this season without checkpoints and apparently it works :-) I think there was a bug in the beginning that there was no service/setup on the first stage if you had no checkpoint, but that appears to be fixed.

Well, that has to be one of my best drives in Monte Carlo so far. The driving felt slowish but - apart from one spin and a few minor bumps - clean, which seems to be just right with the Sierra. Lost only a few seconds per stage to @Snaky115, which is quite the achievement for me. Not to mention beating @baunau in the M3.

This feels good.

I was extremely undecided between M3 or Sierra, but eventually took the Sierra as it is less snappy handling and with a 2nd gear of 140 km/h, don't really have to shift much. :D

So quick question. Is the order of the events the same every season here? Or is it random?

Scyy said:
So quick question. Is the order of the events the same every season here? Or is it random?
Same, based on the order the real life events are run. Monte, Sweden, Greece, Finland, Germany, Wales.

YoMrWhite said:
Scyy said:
Same, based on the order the real life events are run. Monte, Sweden, Greece, Finland, Germany, Wales.
Alright, I was kinda getting that feeling from last season with the order but wasn't completely sure. Now to practice with the r5 in Sweden and trying to find a good setup. The one I have been using is ok but definitely needs some work. Also nice run, made me look like an old granny driving on Monte.

Not the R5, not the BMW because of the sound but the Sierra just because I drove it a lot in the beginning.

Just to find out on SS1 the setup used long ago was not good enough and lost about 10 seconds on SS1, 2 and 3 each.

After that I had a much better setup. Nearly won SS4 and 5 and won SS6. And a good SS7 brought me 3th place so far.

It has been a while since I finished Monaco at all so satisfied with the performance.

A little surprised to see 3 Cosworths in front right now. My money was on the M3's to dominate Monte carlo. Well, might still happen...

I think this is going to be an interesting season, as the cars have decidedly different characteristics. As slow as the R5 is in Monte Carlo, as strong it will be in Greece and Finland, while the Sierra is not at home in Greece and the M3 doesn't really like the jumps and bumps of Finland.

Did ok through the first three stages, not great, but the Cosworth isn't usually my first pick (hence the pick this time).  Stage 4...  got on the gas a tiny bit early around a turn and ate it on a rock barrier (about 1k into a long stage).  Limped through the rest of that stage, broken windshield, bashed in front-right and a flat (then rim).  Still better than the 1:30 penalty I guess.  Oh well, fun getting to know the Cosworth anyway.

I'll be interested to see where headquake slots in with the r5 considering how much slower the 3 of us who went with it have been this event.