Jump to content

DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club

Recommended Posts

Scyy said:
I'll be interested to see where headquake slots in with the r5 considering how much slower the 3 of us who went with it have been this event. 
Yep! I checked some leaderboards for a stage, and it _is_ possible to be fast on Monte with the R5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well...

I'm more of an AWD fetishist than RWD, but I tried to create a setup for the Sierra for Monte. 
Few Shakedowns, still felt little weird but somewhat stable, so I tried one full stage to see where I would be in the  leaderboard (everything in the Top 100 I count as competitive enough). To my surprise, on the first and only try I came in on Pos. 5 in the World. (Route de Turini/ Sunny Midday) and thought "okay, okay, that setup will do just fine!"

Started the League Event and fell of a cliff on stage 1 .... end of story...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well, after doing about 6 shaky shakedowns with the Renault, i had what i thought may be a working technique for Monte. With the weight of this car being more mid-rear you really have to throw it around the corners to prevent the understeer. Get the back sliding out more before the corner. While this worked okay, i'm being quite sloppy at it in the first stage and ended up ramping off the road to DNF.

Thank goodness. :)

Wasn't looking forward to having to run 6 full monte stages.
I don't imagine i would have done to well here even if i had finished anyhow, not blaming the car, i'm just not very strong on tarmac it seems.

More fun to try and catch you guys in Sweden now.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My poor arrow arm weeps - the snow is next!

To my surprise Monte Night/Snow (at least Pra d'Alart) had dry-like grip while Afternoon/snow is the snow one. Forgot if Night/Mist was slower than Night/Snow, but it was weird to drive the first stage due to expecting no grip and receive all of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I always find the misty stages in Monte Carlo extremely slippery. But you're right, the grip on the snowy parts is sometimes surprisingly good, even going downhill on snow. Sometimes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Headquake said:
Well, after doing about 6 shaky shakedowns with the Renault, i had what i thought may be a working technique for Monte. With the weight of this car being more mid-rear you really have to throw it around the corners to prevent the understeer. Get the back sliding out more before the corner. While this worked okay, i'm being quite sloppy at it in the first stage and ended up ramping off the road to DNF.

Thank goodness. :)

Wasn't looking forward to having to run 6 full monte stages.
I don't imagine i would have done to well here even if i had finished anyhow, not blaming the car, i'm just not very strong on tarmac it seems.

More fun to try and catch you guys in Sweden now.


Soften the springs on the front, stops a good bit of the understeer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sweden... I came, I saw, I "raggade"!
Seriously, though, RWD on snow and ice is just too much fun. Not sure if my times will hold up, but I'm quite pleased with my effort regardless.
SS1 and 2 were clean, followed by understeer-bonanza and slower pace on SS3. The rest was decent except for a few times my front dug into the snow + two quick spins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
baunau said:
Sweden... I came, I saw, I "raggade"!
Seriously, though, RWD on snow and ice is just too much fun. Not sure if my times will hold up, but I'm quite pleased with my effort regardless.
SS1 and 2 were clean, followed by understeer-bonanza and slower pace on SS3. The rest was decent except for a few times my front dug into the snow + two quick spins.
Damn, here I had thought I had put in some halfway decent times and you straight blow me out of the water! :) Nice event.

Still happy with my event as even just 3 or 4 weeks ago I couldn't get through a stage with RWD cars without spinning out at least once or twice on tight corners so a definite improvement for me.  Had focused almost entirely on AWD cars up till now.  I know I still can't compare to many of you but I hope to change that with more practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oof... not good. #KeyBro is ineffective in Sweden. I also beached my car twice, because my Sierra doesn't do the spinning thing for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweden is never one of my best rallies. This time it was not so bad, as everyone else except @baunau seems to have had bigger problems than me.

SS1 felt good, but 21 seconds were lost.

SS2 felt decidedly slower and more unstable, 28 more seconds lost.

SS3 felt even slower with lots of understeer, plowing through snowbanks and at least one spin, but I lost only 6 or 7 seconds to @baunau and even gained on most of the others, I think. Strange...

SS4 was similar, a real fight to keep the car out of the snowbanks, SS5 and SS6 were not without mistakes and the occasional spin, but I was closer to @baunau than on the first pass. SS7 was shaky, I had one last spin, but brought the car home in second place for now.

I'll surely going to get bumped down some places, but if I come home 5th or 6th, that's fine with me.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was going kinda slow but was able to keep it more or less steady and not spin out.  Accomplished that part but didn't go nearly as fast as I probably could have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sweden wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be, but lack of concentration and being uncomfortable with the R5 caused me to spin a lot on SS1-4. On SS5 I lost it completely and got angry with that bloody car, after spinning two times and beaching it once in really silly ways. To top it off I got into _another_ silly spin, which in some way caused a puncture.. and my headlights. And this was on sector 3.... 

Only clean stage was SS6, which I managed to win. That kind of cemented my view that I could be fast in the R5 in Sweden, but I need to drive it more so that weird surprise understeer doesn't catch me out. The M3 is just so much more reliable and predictable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dytut said:
Sweden wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be, but lack of concentration and being uncomfortable with the R5 caused me to spin a lot on SS1-4. On SS5 I lost it completely and got angry with that bloody car, after spinning two times and beaching it once in really silly ways. To top it off I got into _another_ silly spin, which in some way caused a puncture.. and my headlights. And this was on sector 3.... 

Only clean stage was SS6, which I managed to win. That kind of cemented my view that I could be fast in the R5 in Sweden, but I need to drive it more so that weird surprise understeer doesn't catch me out. The M3 is just so much more reliable and predictable.

Rejoice! Greece and Finland are coming up, and the R5 is fast there, believe me. Rejoice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeay! Nice runs in Sweden.
I love the Renault and i really love the physics and handling in Sweden.
It feels really good to my senses. 

Mostly pretty clean and calm event, I pushed quite hard in S1 - S3 until i got too messy and i began getting slowed up on the snow banks in S4.
I had about a one minute lead before the night/snow stage, so i took it easier through there. Cautious and clean through S6 and 7.

Sweden and Finland are usually my fastest events, maybe because they're most like the roads where i live in Canada.
Greece and Wales are pretty good too though i noticed in the 80's weekly that the R5 was pushing weird in all the hairpins.
Not looking forward to Germany.
:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Headquake said:
Yeay! Nice runs in Sweden.
I love the Renault and i really love the physics and handling in Sweden.
It feels really good to my senses. 

Mostly pretty clean and calm event, I pushed quite hard in S1 - S3 until i got too messy and i began getting slowed up on the snow banks in S4.
I had about a one minute lead before the night/snow stage, so i took it easier through there. Cautious and clean through S6 and 7.

Sweden and Finland are usually my fastest events, maybe because they're most like the roads where i live in Canada.
Greece and Wales are pretty good too though i noticed in the 80's weekly that the R5 was pushing weird in all the hairpins.
Not looking forward to Germany.
:)
Do you do rally irl?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SS2 was sooo bad, going off in the snow and the car kept on slowly and just as it looked to go on the road again it stopped. That alone costed almost a minute. So last after SS2. from there on it went much better and I passed some of you to finish 6th at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best placed Cossie in Sweden and joint first place after two rallies. That's... unexpected. And a bit odd. But it's a nice surprise for a change.

I don't expect much from Greece, though. The Sierra is just too big and heavy for some of these stages - at least when I am driving. I predict a clean podium sweep by the mighty R5. You heard it here first!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Results from Sweden:
Pos.  NameVehicleTimeDiff 1st
1 Founder VIPHeadquake137Renault 5 Turbo39:36.018--
2 FounderbaunauBMW E30 M3 Evo Rally41:25.931+01:49.913
3 FounderkildogRenault 5 Turbo42:51.693+03:15.675
4 FounderDaryl WillcoxFord Sierra Cosworth RS50043:24.759+03:48.741
5Marek1Renault 5 Turbo43:42.309+04:06.291
6 FounderJan #NoControlFord Sierra Cosworth RS50043:55.093+04:19.075
7 FounderThe Hypno ToadRenault 5 Turbo43:58.208+04:22.190
8 FounderSnaky115Ford Sierra Cosworth RS50044:27.423+04:51.405
9 FoundereddskitzFord Sierra Cosworth RS50045:11.022+05:35.004
10 Founderthat_guyFord Sierra Cosworth RS50045:33.538+05:57.520

And championship standings:
RankNamePoints
1Daryl Willcox30
2baunau30
3Snaky11529
4Headquake13725
5Jan #NoControl23
6kildog17
7Marek110
8EinsZwei10
9that_guy9
10The Hypno Toad6

It's tight at the top! :-) Let's see who survives Greece!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ah... apparently I skipped a day when I set up this season, so we got a resting day between Sweden and Greece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
baunau said:
Sweden... I came, I saw, I "raggade"!
Seriously, though, RWD on snow and ice is just too much fun. Not sure if my times will hold up, but I'm quite pleased with my effort regardless.
SS1 and 2 were clean, followed by understeer-bonanza and slower pace on SS3. The rest was decent except for a few times my front dug into the snow + two quick spins.
I missed the link first time... It's nice to see that quality swedish television spreads to our neighbors aswell! :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
By the way, mighty impressive drive from @Headquake and a strong showing of the Renaults. I expected them to have more problems in Sweden. This doesn't bode well for BMW and Ford in Greece and Finland, where the R5 is at his best...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dytut said:
baunau said:
Sweden... I came, I saw, I "raggade"!
Seriously, though, RWD on snow and ice is just too much fun. Not sure if my times will hold up, but I'm quite pleased with my effort regardless.
SS1 and 2 were clean, followed by understeer-bonanza and slower pace on SS3. The rest was decent except for a few times my front dug into the snow + two quick spins.
I missed the link first time... It's nice to see that quality swedish television spreads to our neighbors aswell! :-D
Oh, it was quite popular here at the time it was airing and I was a huge fan. Prior to that it was S*M*A*S*H, although it didn't catch on as much as Byhåla but I loved it. Watched a lot of Swedish television growing up as both SVT1 and 2 were, for a long time, the only other alternatives next to our state-owned channel, NRK. (yeah, I'm _that_ old) :smiley:

YoMrWhite said:
By the way, mighty impressive drive from @Headquake and a strong showing of the Renaults. I expected them to have more problems in Sweden. This doesn't bode well for BMW and Ford in Greece and Finland, where the R5 is at his best...
Impressive, indeed! If only @Dytut can come to grips with his R5, I'd expect him and @Headquake at the top for the next two rallies (if not the rest). Wouldn't be surprised if @Scyy, Marek1 and Kildog are found lurking right behind.
Happy to see that you're doing well also. I believe you've had your fair share of bad luck in the past and it's about time it turned around. :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of my bad luck was just bad driving, I'm afraid.

Anyway, the Cossie feels good and I hope I can keep it going. Greece will be a real test. I know I probably won't be able to match any of the Renaults, @Snaky115 and you there, so I have to forget about the leaderboard, try to keep it clean and find my own rhythm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We'll see, not feeling comfortable with the Cossie yet for some reason. Lack of sleep probably isn't helping today. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×