DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club

What a silly mistake on Stage 4 - lost control in the 2nd half, an uphill straight-ish bit, barely saved it before a civilian reset me.

Otherwise - not bad. Very satisfied with rain runs.

Finally done with that horrible, nasty tarmac. On to slippery stuff!

SS4 was OK, SS5 was decent but with many small mistakes. On SS6 I was once again reminded that wet tarmac is even worse than dry tarmac for the R5. Understeered into rocks two times. I do so hate that understeer... It's like it doesn't have rubber in the front at times. It's a bloody mid-engined car, it's supposed to be balanced and nimble. Instead it acts like a FWD Audi 80.

Dytut said:
Finally done with that horrible, nasty tarmac. On to slippery stuff!

SS4 was OK, SS5 was decent but with many small mistakes. On SS6 I was once again reminded that wet tarmac is even worse than dry tarmac for the R5. Understeered into rocks two times. I do so hate that understeer... It's like it doesn't have rubber in the front at times. It's a bloody mid-engined car, it's supposed to be balanced and nimble. Instead it acts like a FWD Audi 80.

The strange thing is, the R5 is good on rallies it barely ever contested, and if, with little success (Finland, Greece, Wales), while it is terrible in Monte Carlo and Germany, where it has excelled IRL. Or should have, in case of Germany.

In other news, my own german experience was a strange one, too. I never had the feeling I nailed those hairpins, square lefts and rights, but I was down only a few seconds per stage on @Snaky115. Then I had to take a longer break before SS5 and felt not very focused when I returned, but set some good times over the last three stages. Maybe precision is overrated, I don't know.

Anyway, second place right now, taking advantage of the Renaults problems on tarmac. Not so bad.

Shit, son. Even Headquake is behind the Sierras. Now i am tempted to test the Renault on Germany, don't think i've done it more than 2 runs before.

I am legit surprised he is that far back.

EDIT -- i give up, i did some drastic silly setup changes, but they are completely unnoticeable on Hammerstein, if i didn't have a mistake i would still be like 5 seconds behind my PB in a Sierra.

Ooof, yeah not so good a ride for me in Germany.
I don't feel so bad for getting a 2 min lead in Finland now that i'm 2 min behind here. Ha.
I won't totally blame the car though, it was handling ok, i just don't have good a feel for the tarmac. Always misjudging breaking points and clipping stones on the insides of corners. Trying to push a little too hard maybe. Had an ok S1 but was still down 10 sec or so. The rest of the rally was pretty messy. A few crashes, a few spins.

Onto Wales, gonna be a close season.
Don't crash guys.
:)

Just got my oculus rift all setup and all I can say is holyshit. I probably should have done some practice runs to get used to it as I got disoriented a few times and went off the road and had to reset to stage.  I know I'm not gonna place well after my first three runs but has to be one of the most exhilarating videogames I've ever played.

Scyy said:
Just got my oculus rift all setup and all I can say is holyshit.
Awesome isn't it?

Started Wales before most of you this time so i'm not sure how fast my pace has been. I'm taking a little break after S3 while hoping all the rain clears up. Ha. In S1 i was super careful. Clean yet not real fast. S2 was same but messier and i even had a spin i one corner and then rolled onto my side. I waited a few seconds for it to roll back on it's wheels but no luck. Reset. S3 managed to have a pretty good pace, best feeling so far.

Headquake said:
Started Wales before most of you this time so i'm not sure how fast my pace has been.

Fast.

My guess is you will beat me by at least 15 seconds per stage. Maybe I'll have time later to run Wales.

Well, i think it'll be a close one. If you top guys beat me here, you could win the championship.
I don't feel i did clean enough event to win here, i had a good feel in the last couple stages but another spin out in S5 i think it was.
Added to the spin and reset in the first half of the event, i don't know if it'll be good enough.
Loving the feeling on the R5 on gravel though, a pleasure to drive on these great stages.
Good luck guys.

At least i finished one of the stages cleanly... >_> I forgot i had not made a Wales setup for the Sierra, oh well.

Going to be fun to see if @baunau or @YoMrWhite can challenge you for the win @Headquake :-)

Dytut said:
Going to be fun to see if @baunau or @YoMrWhite can challenge you for the win @Headquake :-)

Nope. Just did the first three stages. 1 minute down already.

Headquake said:
Scyy said:
Just got my oculus rift all setup and all I can say is holyshit.
Awesome isn't it?

Started Wales before most of you this time so i'm not sure how fast my pace has been. I'm taking a little break after S3 while hoping all the rain clears up. Ha. In S1 i was super careful. Clean yet not real fast. S2 was same but messier and i even had a spin i one corner and then rolled onto my side. I waited a few seconds for it to roll back on it's wheels but no luck. Reset. S3 managed to have a pretty good pace, best feeling so far.
I take it you play with a rift? I can tell once I get used to it I think I'll be better as you can read the road and corners so much better. I can actually judge braking points way better now compared to on my monitor. Also makes night rain stages that much harder to see once you lose your lights like I did on the second stage. I'm definitely going to get last this event though as I made so many mistakes the first couple stages.

Dytut said:
  I doubt I'll be able to beat 39:30 (even without mistakes), but will give it my best shot. That being said, I predict that the pressure of fighting for the season win will mess up my concentration and have me do many stupid mistakes.

Well, my prediction earlier turned out to be correct... After making it through SS1 and 2 without incident, it only took me a couple of turns into SS3 before the car decided to jump right off the road. No reset, but took me long enough to make it back onto the road. SS4 was clean, but disaster struck once more on SS5 where I clipped the inside of a turn in the twisty, downhill section near the end of the stage, which promptly flung my car into the trees where I was immediately hit with a reset. Brought the car home safe through the last two stages and ended with a total time of 40:43, of which I'm quite pleased.

Congratulations, @Headquake!

For the 2nd time this season, I had to take a long unplanned break between SS4 and SS5. This time, my younger daughter and a nearly missed birthday party were involved...

After such high drama, I didn't have much concentration left for the remaining stages. I somehow ended up in third for now, even edging out @Snaky115. So all is well for now.

And above all, we made it to the birthday party nearly in time...

:)  Hope you had a nice party

Lost about 30-40 seconds each stage which is the best I can do. Except SS5 were I did a roll and got a reset.

Congrats to Headquake.

I went throught wales and the pace was decent, but was caught out by weird R5 behaviour and lost loads of time on that. Not even one clean stage :-/

I usually end a DRC season with a new car with a positive tone that I've gotten to learn how to drive a new car, but the R5 is nothing but a sour taste in my mouth. No fun to drive in any of the events, even when it was fast. I'll take the BMW which is actually fun to drive every time from now on.

Congrats @Headquake for a good season and a well deserved win :-) You get to choose the next season class again!

The R5 is definitely a love/hate thing for me. I actually like it a lot, but its behaviour on tarmac... Well, let's just say it leaves a lot to be desired.

I just checked the standings and my first podium finish in a DRC season is now confirmed. That took quite some time and tries. Driving the Sierra was mostly a pleasure and I even scored two second places. I will try to build on that.

Congrats to everyone else and especially to @Headquake for another great performance and @baunau, for keeping up with him until the end. And of course to everyone wrestling the R5 around the hairpins and tight corners in Monte Carlo and Germany.

And so the season ends, with the results:

RankNamePoints
1Headquake13799
2baunau90
3Daryl Willcox78
4Snaky11565
5Jan #NoControl54
6Arete49
7kildog45
8Marek128
9Panic25
10that_guy17

@Headquake takes another win, with @baunau close behind. It was a fight right until Wales, where both baunau and @YoMrWhite / Daryl Willcox had a chance to fight for the win. Congrats headquake to the win, and baunau and yomrwhite for the podium places!

I'll be away on the Swedish HEMA nationals this weekend, so I wouldn't mind going for start on monday. @Headquake hasn't chosen the cars for next season, so I think the honor befalls @baunau. 

Dytut said:
I'll be away on the Swedish HEMA nationals this weekend, so I wouldn't mind going for start on monday. @Headquake hasn't chosen the cars for next season, so I think the honor befalls @baunau. 
Cool, I might actually have my whole new Fanatec setup by then.