DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club

DR2 League Structure  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Enforce Cockpit/Dash View?

• Yes
    • No

I have a good setup for Wales so no problems on the stage. Maybe a bit on ss1 because rain is difficult with VR. But no mistakes and good speed.

Wales... meeeeh. Was fun, but I had to move my wheel a bit when I was loading in, and at the moment it loaded to the service screen I accidentally pressed the start button. So first three stages on vanilla setup and medium tyres :classic_rolleyes:

With the title in the bag, and a fan of rally Sweden I was looking out for the final event. But it wasn't going to be my day...

First stage early on I hit something really hard, destroying a lot also the radiator. In stage 2 the engine started to lose power. In stage 3 I made a silly mistake and let the clutch slip on the start, another 10 seconds added to the slow speed with the half dead engine.

After ss3 I could repair most of the problems. Problems? Yes again on ss4 with a flat tire. So, time for a short break.

After the break the world turns. Three great stages, smooth and fast. This gave me a good feeling but ofcourse didn't do much to the lost time.

So, come and beat me 😀

I was slow but consistent in Sweden 🙂 The Rift S is kind of iffy in Sweden to be honest. Sunny stages you hardly see anything but white, and snowy stages it just turns into a great big blur. Luckily got through but kept the speed down or else I'd spin somewhere. Great fun nonetheless, it's the place where the Focus 07 is most fun 🙂 

Sweden went very well, after a very fierce battle with banau, I finally catched his time in Stage 6 and could keep it up through 7 as well. This should secure my 2nd position in the Championship now 🙂
Just checked the Board, though found a strange first now:
image.thumb.png.76f06e500e29f77416ad2a294b29c2e1.png

This Mongojon seems very suspicious. To be over 3 min faster than the regular Top 5 would basically mean he has set new World Records on most of the stages...
If  @MongoJon [VR] cannot submit some proof of legitimacy, or someone else cannot convince me how it could be legit, He will receive a permanent ban from the league.

----------------------------------

I tested the new Pug. Honestly not super nice. Visibility seems awkward and the sound is nothing as cool as the Subaru.
Though I much appreciate we now have another Champion-Car from the WRC in the game.

------------------------------------

For the next Season I assume everyone agrees with me, that we will wait for Finland to be available in Clubs. So the first 12-Event Season will start Early to Mid November and last roughly exactly to the end of the year.
I might start thinking about which calendar I wanna pick, as well as @Janneman60 which car class to pick. (I'd go for R5 again. Or maybe even R-GT. Or NR4. Just please no GrpB-RWD...)

MongoJon is a very fast driver, mostly at the top where ever he drives. I am not surpriced with the gap to be honest.

I guess I have some time to think about what to drive next season. Personally I would prefer 2wd cars but in that case we end with 5 drivers so that is out of the question. Last week I drove a league wirh N4 cars but the difference between the Mitsu and the Scooby is to large. So it will be something else.

Also worth to mention I take a step back next season with just some occasional rally's. So, the battle for the next DRC title is wide open.

• Thanks 1

Suspicious, really?  I can assure you that I'm a legit driver, just ask around.

But if you need "proof of legitimacy" of my skills in Sweden you can watch this video. It's from DR1, but whatever..

45 minutes ago, MongoJon [VR] said:

Suspicious, really?  I can assure you that I'm a legit driver, just ask around.

But if you need "proof of legitimacy" of my skills in Sweden you can watch this video. It's from DR1, but whatever..

That is one smooth and precise run I have to admit. Looks even a level above how WRC drivers are piloting.
Well, that seems a plausible way to pull 30sec leads on all stages if done consistently.

Welcome to the league then, let us have at least some chances ya? 🙂

Curious I am about your setup: Your suspension in that old video is bottoming out very very often. If done in DR2, doesn't this over time damage your Suspension and dampers too much?

10 minutes ago, SkyRex said:

That is one smooth and precise run I have to admit. Looks even a level above how WRC drivers are piloting.
Well, that seems a plausible way to pull 30sec leads on all stages if done consistently.

Welcome to the league then, let us have at least some chances ya? 🙂

Curious I am about your setup: Your suspension in that old video is bottoming out very very often. If done in DR2, doesn't this over time damage your Suspension and dampers too much?

I just use default setup most of the time, no trickery there I'm afraid. The only thing I adjust, sometimes, is the gear ratio. I have not the time, skills or will to tweak every bit of the car. I sure could benefit from it but I've got so used to the default setup and it's working ok for me.

Seasons over, Final standing:
image.thumb.png.1049fab53e670ec1e81ac90696f1be9b.png

Congrats n thanks to everyone participating!
@Janneman60 pick the next car class,
@SkyRex I will chose the next Season Calendar
@baunau You can pick the first stages conditions

• Like 1

Vehicle class picked: R5

I actually found an issue with the calendars, as 'Northbound' was mixed up in order. I fixed that and I also made some minor adjustments here n there. Also used USA's location of the stages (Near Seattle in Washington) instead of the New England display name.

Major change being that I dropped the WRC calendar and remade it according to the 2020 calendar. This is now the DRC's Calendar selection:
image.png.96f35b6fb710f5d7d7031de04c8e279a.png

My logic for making the 'World Rally':

WRC-2020  ||  DRC

Monte-Carlo   || Monte-Carlo
Sweden          || Sweden
Mexico            || skipped
Chile             || United States
Argentina       || Argentina
Portugal         || Poland
Italy               || skipped
Kenya             || Australia
Finland           || Finland
New Zealand   || New Zealand
Turkey           || Greece
Germany        || Germany
Great Britain   || Wales
Japan             || Spain

Finally, I will pick 'Shifted Year' as the next Calendar, as it will have Finland pretty early on.

I know I said not to compete in all events, but probably can't resist the first 2.

Anyway, I mostly suck wirh R5 cars 😎

Any chance you will waive the forced cockpit camera option?

I know the current score is 31 to 23 in favour, but looking at the results, only 10 to 12 drivers competed regularly. Go figure...

• Agree 1

On 10/27/2019 at 5:14 PM, YoMrWhite said:

Any chance you will waive the forced cockpit camera option?

I know the current score is 31 to 23 in favour, but looking at the results, only 10 to 12 drivers competed regularly. Go figure...

Well the score is even more clear than last time.

And it isnt a hard limit. Nobody is 'not' able to use cockpit, even though its untrained. Much less of a limit than dlc content.

And forcing the View is just a very nice way to make it fair. You can judge the car width much better from hood or from third so its a slight advantage and takes away from the experience to emulate real rally experiences. 

I am setting up the new season to start on saturday noon. Get ready in time and select your favorite R5. Remember not to change the vehicle mid season.

Good Luck for everyone

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

So I indeed started the first event under protest - or call it an experiment.

I did two test runs of the first stage. In chase cam, I did a clean run in 6.20, in cockpit view, a not so clean 6.31, both without spare tyres, I think (time trial).

In competition, I was able to do a 6.28, with a spare tyre of course. As this was only the second attempt with this view, I think I would be able to shave off some more seconds with more practice. So I definitely think cockpit cam is not much of a disadvantage. Unfortunately, I don't enjoy driving with it, so I don't know if I will continue. Certainly not the whole season, maybe the odd rally here and there.

Coming from VR in dirt1 driving wirh bonnetcam was so far from calling it a sim. So I quickly went to cockpit view. Ofcourse now back to VR. 

Anyway, if you are forced to drive in a view you don't like I see the problem. But glad you give it a try at least.

Well, it ended quickly. Lost the car in a fast corner, found myself between some trees, losing orientation and quit. Apart from not enjoying cockpit view, the most difficult part (for me) is that you have to adjust your visuals. The stages just look different, so I had to guess about braking points and so on. I'm afraid I won't invest the time needed to adjust or learn the tracks again.

Trying out the Fiest R5 this season, seems like an easy to drive car but it doesn't feel quite as fast as the other R5s. Is it?

Anyways, decently clean run of Germany. Not quite happy with the setup, tended to get understeer at times that I couldn't quite get rid of. So I'll probably get beaten by the rest of you in time, but for now I'm just ahead of @baunau :-)

Edited by Dytut

12 hours ago, Dytut said:

Trying out the Fiest R5 this season, seems like an easy to drive car but it doesn't feel quite as fast as the other R5s. Is it?

Anyways, decently clean run of Germany. Not quite happy with the setup, tended to get understeer at times that I couldn't quite get rid of. So I'll probably get beaten by the rest of you in time, but for now I'm just ahead of @baunau :-)

Should be a WR contender even in Germany, Only Peugeot and Citroen are a whole tier behind the others, on some surfaces Skoda falls apart too. Check out 'Innerer Feld-Sprint' Dry R5 leaderboard. 😛

21 hours ago, YoMrWhite said:

Well, it ended quickly. Lost the car in a fast corner, found myself between some trees, losing orientation and quit. Apart from not enjoying cockpit view, the most difficult part (for me) is that you have to adjust your visuals. The stages just look different, so I had to guess about braking points and so on. I'm afraid I won't invest the time needed to adjust or learn the tracks again.

I find it strange, that you say 'learn the tracks'.
Sure by now, I also know the DR1 stages by heart, but many kilometers of DR2 stages are completely relying on my Copilot for me. Especially where the scenery doesn't give you memorizing hints (New Zealands Coast, Australias Forest, USA Forest). Even for old Finland I got stretches that I couldn't nit together from memory alone.

Before I started the Season, I investigated the cars a bit. Wanted to make a little scientific comparison, picked the Shakedown stage in Poland with slow/fast bits as well as gravel/tarmac mix.  Calculated some averages to compare the fast consistency instead of the fastest record lucky run. The class is very competitive overall.
image.png.0ba3688c8aabe044d4fea3ca740e5f80.png

Will make a video on my channel about it, once I have time for that again...
Anyway, it seems apart from the Citroen and the Pug (as @Snaky115 said above), they are all very much equally capable. The french are also hindered by their small windscreen area imho.
So I went with the Fiesta as well, as I really like it's sound and it's cockpit feel.  Went quite ok-ish, got 3-4 spins& mistakes, which probably cost around 30-40 secs, but for Germany it's ok.

P.S. Anyone else having a bugged out replay camera for the 'Car' cameras. Whenever switching to car manually or going there in 'mixed', it only shows 3rd person view. All those special angles are gone (side of bonnet, roof, backseat, wheel... etc.) anyone else experiencing this? Otherwise I might need to reinstall my game.

• Thanks 1

Great. So I took not only one of the slower cars, but also one with bad visibility… I should have compared before.

Concerning track knowledge: For me it's always a mixture between copilot and visuals, as you can't completely trust the notes in some places (hello Australia and USA). And this visual Impression of course changes a lot if you switch to cockpit view.

As I mentioned before, no big fan of R5 here. So I took the gamble to drive the VW Polo which I maybe once tested or so. Doing the first stage I felt the setup was nog the best yet and so I lost a few seconds. Same on stage 2 and 3.

Now I could change the setup and it was much better. So I could attack. Helped by (small) mistakes from others and zero mistakes on my part, I could close the gap and ended first untill now.

But still no fan of this slightly dull cars 😀

Just finished Germany. This is my least favorite place to drive, my drivingstyle does not seem to suit asphaltracing. But I felt I drove as fast as I could and it was very close all the way. On stage 6 I came into a corner a bit to fast and slid too far out on the grass so I got a reset back to track and 11 sec penalty. That said I'm very pleased to be on top for the moment 🙂