DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club

DR2 League Structure  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Enforce Cockpit/Dash View?

• Yes
    • No

Did my run through the US with the cossie. Didn't quite find my rhythm, so was a lot of sliding around not getting the power down. Mainly clean, but misheard a not in the dark on ss2 and got a reset from going into the emergency crew at a 1 right, and on SS6 I messed up royally. Slid out on a tricky 3 left, hit a rock and punctured 😕 Decided to change tyres ASAP. Then drove the rest like a mess. 

I had a pretty good run in Washington New England last night.  I had a scare on SS1 on one of the long 3R Junction turns, clipping my rear on a rock or tree, giving me a short spin, so nerves slowed me down a bit on SS2.  The rest of the stages went as well as I could hope for.  We'll see what the other speedsters have in store!

Finished New England. The Stratos is a handfull I must say. Was about on par with @ApexAzimuth as long as I kept the car on the road, but unfortunately I messed up a little too often. 

Jebus, the Cossie in tight spaces really is a hard work. Felt like I had to throw it in like a madman in every turn, and doing scandinavian flicks with that big car in argentina meant... spins. Many spins. Did manage to kind of keep up with @baunau on the clean stages, but felt like real hard work. Did find some flow in SS2 somehow, then I lost the feeling on the next stage. Weird when that happens.

Jebus indeed.  if you're spinning and still that fast I think I may as well sell up now.

For the first time with the sierra I felt I'd got a setup that was working ok.  I also had some off road time penalties but only a few.  If I could look at how I was driving and know what I was doing to be nearly a full 4 minutes down then rolling the sleeves up and getting on would seem more worthwhile.  

If you guys at the top are driving to the notes and not from memory, and aren't literally taking every cut on the stage then I just wish I knew what on earth I needed to do just to improve a little bit.  I know I'm slow and learning, but in a world where a few seconds is an eternity where do I find 3 minutes over 7 stages, especially when I can just about compete with the AI on 100%.

😆. Come on guys, tell me where the NOS button is!?

3 hours ago, BluecatRally said:

If you guys at the top are driving to the notes and not from memory, and aren't literally taking every cut on the stage then I just wish I knew what on earth I needed to do just to improve a little bit.  I know I'm slow and learning, but in a world where a few seconds is an eternity where do I find 3 minutes over 7 stages, especially when I can just about compete with the AI on 100%.

Speaking for myself here.  I wouldn't say that I have the stages memorized, but after running them several times over the course of many months, I remember aspects of specific corners that have red flags in my memory.  There are portions of stages that I have memorized to be sure, but without stage notes I would be several minutes slower.

Red flags in my memory, corners that I have memorized are:

#1. Corners that have caused me to go off or crash more than once.  If I had a real codriver, I'd have these corners flagged as double or triple caution in our pace notes.
#2. Corners that look innocent at first glance and by pacenotes, but are actually terribly treacherous.  Think "Six right long, tightens 5", but the 5 is really a 3...
#3. Corners that seem dangerous or difficult at first glance, but aren't.  There are several 1's and 2's that really should be 3's or 4's.  I remember these so I can keep my speed through them.
#4. Big, safe cuts through tight corners.   There are several squares and 1's that have huge, safe cuts.  I try to remember these so I can save some time.

I'd say I only "memorize" about 10% of the corners through the stages, but I'm familiar with nearly all of them, just through repetition.

Edited by ApexAzimuth
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, BluecatRally said:

Jebus indeed.  if you're spinning and still that fast I think I may as well sell up now.

For the first time with the sierra I felt I'd got a setup that was working ok.  I also had some off road time penalties but only a few.  If I could look at how I was driving and know what I was doing to be nearly a full 4 minutes down then rolling the sleeves up and getting on would seem more worthwhile.  

😆. Come on guys, tell me where the NOS button is!?

Like @ApexAzimuth, I don't really have them memorized, but some red flag corners are remembered. I don't really cut much, haven't really learned any of the good places to do so. In Argentina I don't think there are any huge cuts, just some small ones that can earn you a scant few seconds per stage.

If you record some footage of your driving I'd be happy to give some comments on it 🙂 

There are some things to think about when trying to improve your speed.

Do you feel that you can push and hold speed on the straights? 
Do you get good speed out of the corners?
Do you often glide out into the middle of the corners?
Are you comfortable balancing the car with throttle and brake?

• Agree 1

Well, New England...Michigan...Washington...WHATEVER...was ok for me. Had several small mistakes and was not as fast I could have been, because I wasn't confident in the car at most times. And if you try to drive safe...you make more mistakes 😄

Argentina was much better, my run was quite good. Only did one bigger mistake in SS6 losing 4-5 seconds, rest was quite good. And a lot of fun I must say. These RWDs are much more fun to drive than I thought 😍

I lost it in ss1 and ss5 were on the uphill part the R5 misses power. The rest was quite good as I found a nice setup.

In the end now second. 8 seconds in 7 long stages is good.

Thanks @ApexAzimuthand @Dytut.  Good encouragement.  I’ll see about how I sort a video of my plodding through a stage and post it.

On 1/23/2020 at 6:17 PM, Dytut said:

Like @ApexAzimuth, I don't really have them memorized, but some red flag corners are remembered. I don't really cut much, haven't really learned any of the good places to do so. In Argentina I don't think there are any huge cuts, just some small ones that can earn you a scant few seconds per stage.

If you record some footage of your driving I'd be happy to give some comments on it 🙂 

There are some things to think about when trying to improve your speed.

Do you feel that you can push and hold speed on the straights? 
Do you get good speed out of the corners?
Do you often glide out into the middle of the corners?
Are you comfortable balancing the car with throttle and brake?

Well, where to start.  I think I will have shortcomings in all of those areas and more.  

My speed on the straights depends on the location and how well I’ve managed to tune out the bounce of the car without turning it in to a sofa.  I am however too cautious and often brake too early.  Haven’t quite nailed putting it on it’s nose, just at the right braking point and all the while controlled.

I think my cautious approach has come from taking the mentality of slower is quicker too far.  My exit speed usually depends on whether I’ve made a minor mistake on entry or not.  I’m not too shabby at hairpins but I am inconsistent in all corners.

Think gliding out in corners...  this is the biggy that jumped out at me.  I’ve been moaning about my inability to understand and create setups.  So I suffer a lot of understeer in AWD cars and drift out exactly as you describe.  I’ve been rewatching the DR1 tutorials on weight transfer and I know I need to put the weight on the outside front corner, but my cautious style comes in again and sometimes my corner entry isn’t fast enough for the braking to cause enough weight transfer to the front.  The lack of aggression is one thing, but then I don’t know how much understeer my setups are introducing.  The 95 Impreza, despite being my ultimate rally car in history is also my nemesis in this game cos it’s a lump to get the nose in and start the slide.

The last one, is probably the one I’ve just about got somewhere right.  If I have the correct speed in to the corner, then feathering the throttle and left foot braking is a pretty natural instinct now.  Not saying there is no room for improvement, but since I got the brake feeling a bit better I’ve dramatically improved.  It seems odd, but I simply cannot right foot brake at all on DR.  Muscle memory is just broken, but then I tried braking left foot in the road car and nearly ripped my face off.  Bizarre how the brain works for muscle memory.  Same task, same controls, different environment and the result is a learner driver who’s never touched a brake pedal in their lives.  😏

So I thank you again for giving me something to think about.  The reassurances that you guys aren’t doing anything super human will give me the push to try harder.

P.s.  Fingers crossed for Ott Tanak that the media releases so far aren’t playing down the issue.  The guy looked pretty rough on the tarmac at the side of that bent Hyundai.  Hopefully nothing more than badly winded!  🤞🏻

It really wasn't easy keeping up with you in Argentina, @UnderclassGDfan!  I had a couple warm-up mistakes in SS1 and SS2.  Nerves got to me a bit when I saw how much I'd have to push to keep up with both @UnderclassGDfan and @Janneman60.  Very quick runs, gents.

I felt like I was on the bleeding edge of my limits here.  Historically, Argentina is where I get a retirement, so being on my limits was particularly scary.  Thankfully I kept the rubber side down and managed to keep a fast and consistent pace.

Decided to run this event waiting for the Monte coverage to began for the day. That Tanak wreck was a nasty one. This was a fairly easy going ride we did have one spin that cost some time and after stage 1 I had a crash to desktop send error report. Not fun🤔 Anyway was a little suprised with the gaps I didnt think the renault would be the best here with the turbo lag. Take cae guys enoy Monte!

5 hours ago, ApexAzimuth said:

It really wasn't easy keeping up with you in Argentina, @UnderclassGDfan!  I had a couple warm-up mistakes in SS1 and SS2.  Nerves got to me a bit when I saw how much I'd have to push to keep up with both @UnderclassGDfan and @Janneman60.  Very quick runs, gents.

😃

I'm way ahead of my goal to reach this season, so I'm happy, but I fear Poland Rally a bit, crazy fast and one mistake can be a DNF.

EDIT: @PJTierney Could you delete the spam-post above me?

Edited by UnderclassGDfan
  • Thanks 1

Ragged run through Poland! I've never quite felt comfortable there, as the road invites me to push hard and then always throws me off into the barriers 😛

Had a spin and a small off on SS1, the rest were decently clean stages. Massive loss of confidence on the night stage SS4, I was waaaaay too cautious there. 

No way near @UnderclassGDfan, but at least managed to beat Yabby who's also in a Sierra and has always managed to get ahead of me in the start of the season 🙂 

• Like 1

Finished Poland, and I definitely can't complain about my results.  I had decent confidence and didn't have any drama until stage 6 though I think I could have gone alot faster if Poland didn't scare the heck out of me.  I got a bit tail happy on SS6 and nearly had an intimate encounter with a tree at 200kph.  After that near-retirement, my confidence dropped and I made a few more mistakes.  SS7 wasn't as fast as I would have liked after still being a bit shaken.

First 3 stages I had setup problems wirh my R5, after every jump rhe back was very twisty so a lot of steering needed and most of the times I had to go off throttle.

After ss3 I changed the setup and then it was much better. Did a very good ss5 and ss6. On the last stage I got stuck in the chicane😀 but it was not a bad rally.

• Like 1

My run was quite good, except SS3 were...I don't know...after a jump I lost the back pretty hard, I thought something was damaged or I got a puncture, so I slowed down a bit. Did some more mistakes, but in the end, nothing was really damaged. Watched the replay, but couldn't find the reason. Maybe the suspension was too soft or something.

Rest was ok, but I felt always I could be a bit faster. Well, my choosen rivals are all behind me, so I'm happy 🙂

• Like 1

I am not a fan of rally Australia, dull brown scenery and not an inspiring road to drive on. And I am mostly bad there 😀

This time however no big drama. Not superfast and just 1 mistake to much to beat @Yabby 😎

Australia... SS1 felt nice, the rest riddled with mistakes and overdriving. Did have some real nice corners in there, feels like I'm finally starting to get RWD a bit at least.

No big mistakes this time just a little slow, will be hard to finish in the top ten at the end of the championship  . We will see ! 

That abrasive and unstable gravel in Australia... 😨 I think this event has some of the most dangerous track degradation in the game, and to top that, I feel like the gravel here causes significantly more tyre wear.

I did a derpy slow motion topple after mounting a bank a little too sharply on SS5, then really struggled to tame my car on SS6.   It felt so slippery that I ended up loosening up my anti-roll and diff a bit because the E30 was snap-oversteering like crazy.   In the 2nd service I opted for mediums for the first time in this championship because I felt like I was going to kill myself on SS6 with how bad the tyres were acting and how ugly the track degradation is.  I can't tell if that was a mistake or not because I didn't feel quite as fast overall, but I also didn't have any terrors. 🤷‍♂️  We'll see how it plays out in the end!

Hi guys long time player but never joined the forums or leagues ..... just joined today. Be sure to wave hello as you go past me buried in the trees 😁

Edited by Aidan1996

@Aidan1996 Welcome! 🙂

Australia was a small disaster. Well...I thought it was until I looked at the final results and I didn't seem to be the only one with problems there.

SS1 was very good until late in the stage were I touched a bush or a pole (can't remember) slightly on the inside of a corner, that spun me to 90° and down the cliff on to a tree. I was quite slow, so no big damage, but I had to reset and got 8 seconds penalty. But I managed to cut that down to a little under 6 seconds on the finish to the current leader (not Apex 😄 ).

SS2 was full of mistakes, SS3 was much better until I got a puncture in the 2nd to last sector. I managed to reach the finish on 3 wheels without losing too much time. SS4 was by far the best stage for me in the rally and I thought after the stage I can still beat Yabby. But despite being quite good in SS5, I couldn't beat Yabby there. So I pushed even harder in SS6, but that was too much and I crashed heavily. Another puncture pretty early and that was it. SS7 was good, but obviously nothing to win here anymore.

I was quite surprised I am still ahead of some of my rivals. Must been a bad rally for most of us 😄

Sadly Baunau did not even compete, I hope he is back in the next rallies.

The big three (Snoopy, exerfit and jnco) seem to be pretty busy lately, too 😞 Well, more points for me!

Edited by UnderclassGDfan