DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club

DR2 League Structure  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Enforce Cockpit/Dash View?

• Yes
    • No

Decent, but not good run through Finland. Had an outright spin on stage one simply due to not being used to the setup, after that it went OK until SS4, where my Rift S suddenly lost tracking and threw my view around on the outside of the car. Pure luck that it stopped without smashing a tree, had to reset cause I didn't even know which way the car was pointing. Took a bit to regain confidence after that, so lost a tone of time. My times will get smashed, but felt OK for being me in an RWD 🙂 

Not my best run in Finland but not my worst at all.  I had a lapse of focus on SS3 and had a lift-off oversteer while I was countersteering over a left hand crest, which spun me to the right and face first into a tree; fortunately at very low speed.   That took out my lights and wrecked my radiator but I managed to only lose about 10 seconds or so.   I was much more awake for the SS4 night stage, which ended up being probably my fastest stage.

I had a good pace and a lot of green sectors. But I had also a spin or crash on every stage, just couldn't handle the jumpy R5 enough. Should have been a lot closer without all the mistakes but never fast enough for a win.

Finland was by far the worst performance from me yet.

SS1 was good, SS2 too, until I misjudged the square left in the open area...I decided to brake AFTER the jump, wich was the wrong decision. I was way too fast and couldn't brake before reaching the corner, so I moved the car a bit left in the woods to avoid the people, the car and trees. So no damage, but a time penalty...59 SECONDS!!! 59!!! I was so annoyed I was close to rage quitting 😅

After that I lost a bit the focus and did a few mistakes here and there. SS3 was a mess. Mistake over mistake. Even a roll on the roof like a turtle including 8 seconds penalty happened. SS4 was better, got my focus back, but the car was still not in perfect condition and my confidence wasn't high. SS5 was a disaster including a puncture with no spare. So I had to finish SS5 and the whole SS6 with 3 wheels. Puncture was on the front right, so it was doable.

SS7 was without drama, but the car was quite heavily damaged. I thought Yabby would destroy my time and kick me from 3rd place on the championship standings, but he didn't compete for the first time in that championship. On the one hand lucky for me, on the other hand somehow meh. It's still a close battle!

Did New Zealand already. SS1 was good, no real problems. SS2 was pretty good, too, but I misjudged a corner and hit a fence quite hard...lost the two lights on the right side and the additional light completely. So my view was pretty bad. Close to the end Phil said "Is the engine ok?" and I thought..."ooooaaarggghhh"...the engine started to make bad noises you don't wanna hear with another one long stage to go, but I managed SS3 without much problems. Probably a bit slow, but yeah...

SS4 to SS7 were without big problems, some mistakes here and there, but nothing serious.

Greece will be a nightmare for me. It's probably my worst rally location and so far I didn't managed a single run without crashes I believe 😄

First sector of ss1 I was to slow, second sector a bit faster and 3th sector too fast... spin, crash and a flat tire. 30 seconds to recover and a minute to change tire.

Mainly that was it. Did the rest in easy mode to atleast get a finish.

New Zealand was quite a battle with @UnderclassGDfan!  I managed to stay only a handful of seconds ahead in every stage and I was really pushing hard.  I didn't have any close calls fortunately, but I really don't think I can get much faster than that.  Great race, @UnderclassGDfan!  You really made me work for it!

Ended up DNFing in Greece...... good ss1 but hit that rock after the crest in ss2....... chasing issues from there on until a suspension failure in ss6 due to no time to repair in service.

Disappointing all round.

Greece done and dusted. Overdrove the car quite a bit at times, so a few smaller spins. Had a high speed spin on SS2 that cost me a lot, didn't hit anything but beached the car in the most silly of places. 

This time I had a good setup for the little Renault 5 from the beginning.

First 3 stages were really good. Then I took a lunchbrake and somehow after it I was not on the same pace anymore. Not that bad but the magic was gone.

On 2/8/2020 at 10:35 AM, ApexAzimuth said:

New Zealand was quite a battle with @UnderclassGDfan!  I managed to stay only a handful of seconds ahead in every stage and I was really pushing hard.  I didn't have any close calls fortunately, but I really don't think I can get much faster than that.  Great race, @UnderclassGDfan!  You really made me work for it!

😄

That's the plan, pushing everyone to the limit!

8 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

This time I had a good setup for the little Renault 5 from the beginning.

First 3 stages were really good. Then I took a lunchbrake and somehow after it I was not on the same pace anymore. Not that bad but the magic was gone.

Well, SS6 was your best stage I think. No chance for me beating you there.

SS1 to SS5 were very good for me, no real issues. Some "almost mistakes", but veeeery good for me in the end, looking at my history with greece, lol. After SS4 I was down to 2.7 seconds to @Janneman60, only losing 0.5 seconds in SS5. But in SS6 I was just not fast enough in the first 3/4 (lost 9 seconds in the first 6 sectors, all red) and the last 2 I additionally did some small mistakes that costed quite much time. In the end lost 15 seconds in SS6 alone. Had a really good SS7 and cut it down to a little over 10 seconds overall, wich is damn good for me I think. Really happy 😄

Next rally will be interesting to see if I can compete on pure asphalt, too.

Greece was... eventful.   I was doing pretty well from SS1-SS4, really close to @Janneman60.  Then on SS5 my mind wandered and I went off.  Managed to avoid anything hard, but got auto-reset pretty quickly and took a penalty.  I pushed like a crazy person for the rest of the stage so I made up for most of it but still struggled to keep up.  I think I was still a few seconds behind after SS6 but I managed to keep the car on the wet road with a decent pace on SS7 and made up time.

The first 3 stages of Germany went okey, the next 3 gave some trubbles with braking of the wet or (ss4) braking with wet tyres. Last stage had some stuttering, later I noticed an update of windows was the cause.

It was not bad but probably not fast enough, now I have to rely on mistakes from others 😢

1 hour ago, Janneman60 said:

The first 3 stages of Germany went okey, the next 3 gave some trubbles with braking of the wet or (ss4) braking with wet tyres. Last stage had some stuttering, later I noticed an update of windows was the cause.

It was not bad but probably not fast enough, now I have to rely on mistakes from others 😢

I'm horrible on Tarmac typically, so you probably won't have to worry about me here 🤣

On SS1 I was only 0.1 seconds slower than @Janneman60, with some small mistakes in the beginning. I misjudged the very first corner-section with the bump on SS2, so I hit the tree on the outside with the left rear a bit and spun. Lost around 7 seconds, but the car wasn't really damaged. So I pushed hard, but did several mistakes doing so. In the end lost nearly 11 seconds.

In SS3 I still tried to push to come closer, but later in the stage I came wide in a 3 left on a crest and hit a stone on the outside quite hard. Car had a puncture on the front right and was pretty hard damaged. I made it to the end without having a spare, but lost over 38 seconds...

I repaired as much as I could, put wet tires on and started SS4...

Quite early on the stage, a very long - almost - straight I was just way too fast and lost the car coming closer to the square left. I hit the tree or big bush or whatever on the left side really hard with the left side of the car and thats it. Another puncture and a almost totaled car. It wasn't terminal damage, but I doubt I could have finished almost 3 longs with it, so I gave up.

Really frustrated right now. I didn't expected to beat @Janneman60 in the championship anymore at this point, even before the rally, but I will lose much of my points lead to Yabby and @Dytut being only 17 and 20 points.

I still don't get, why there is often a big difference in points you get for the same position in different rallies, probably a mix of position and competitors behind you? Or distance driven? Or gaps in time between competitors? I don't know. I just hope, 17 points are enough.

I really didn't expect to come out ahead in Germany, as it's my 2nd weakest rally, only just a little better than the Monte for me.  Given that I usually misjudge corners after those straights, and that I'm generally embarassingly slow in Germany, I opted for a safe and conservative strategy, just hoping to finish cleanly and I'd have been happy with 4th.  I know I wasn't particularly fast because my driving is clumsy on the panzerplatte; usually braking way too much and too early, because of my fear of braking too late and ending my rally (this has happened too often..)  In the end though, the only mistake I had was a half spin on a hairpin in SS4 which probably only cost me a second or two.

I think my safety-over-speed strategy just happened to pay off here due to the misfortune of everyone else. 😞  

18 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

On SS1 I was only 0.1 seconds slower than @Janneman60, with some small mistakes in the beginning. I misjudged the very first corner-section with the bump on SS2, so I hit the tree on the outside with the left rear a bit and spun. Lost around 7 seconds, but the car wasn't really damaged. So I pushed hard, but did several mistakes doing so. In the end lost nearly 11 seconds.

In SS3 I still tried to push to come closer, but later in the stage I came wide in a 3 left on a crest and hit a stone on the outside quite hard. Car had a puncture on the front right and was pretty hard damaged. I made it to the end without having a spare, but lost over 38 seconds...

I repaired as much as I could, put wet tires on and started SS4...

Quite early on the stage, a very long - almost - straight I was just way too fast and lost the car coming closer to the square left. I hit the tree or big bush or whatever on the left side really hard with the left side of the car and thats it. Another puncture and a almost totaled car. It wasn't terminal damage, but I doubt I could have finished almost 3 longs with it, so I gave up.

Really frustrated right now. I didn't expected to beat @Janneman60 in the championship anymore at this point, even before the rally, but I will lose much of my points lead to Yabby and @Dytut being only 17 and 20 points.

I still don't get, why there is often a big difference in points you get for the same position in different rallies, probably a mix of position and competitors behind you? Or distance driven? Or gaps in time between competitors? I don't know. I just hope, 17 points are enough.

I wouldn't worry much about us, you're usually way ahead 🙂 Hard to compete with the Cossie. 

As for points, I think it's pretty much down to the number of participants in an event. If it's 49 participants, 1st gets 50 points (49+1), then it gets progressively less. So more people in the event means more points to take.

• Thanks 1

Ragged run through Wales 😕 Had no confidence at all in the rain, sliding around like crazy. No really big moments, but didn't feel like I had any speed either. Yabby will destroy me in the Cossie league.

From my feeling I woukd say I did a good race, but the difference to @Dytut is not that large, so I am a bit confused about that.

I was also confused on ss7 as the last couple of turns went wrong and the car flipped over and over. Cheer luck it rolled just over the finish 😀

I lost only 6 and 7 points to my rivals in Potatoeland...crazy, because I thought I really messed it up.

But the next problem occured: I'm sick since saturday. The full program. Wasn't able to do anything the last few days, so I hope I feel better tomorrow or I have to miss out on Wales 🤢🤐🤮😵

You all shouldn't have any trouble overtaking me in Spain.  My run just emphasized how bad I am at tarmac rallying. 😂

Aside from what felt like sluggish and clumsy driving, I had 3 spins and 2 crashes which I was lucky to get away from. Tarmac in DR2.0 just doesn't click with me at all, and it's especially worse with fresh, soft tyres.  I have the hardest time estimating my grip because I can't feel when I'm losing it.  I do better on tarmac on worn tyres or in the rain because at least then I can feel where the limits are.  But the acceleration and braking grip you gain from soft tyres is too good for me to just go with mediums.  Even though I drive more smoothly on tyres with less grip, and I'm less likely to crash, I'm still slower than someone that's on softs regardless.  (Softs are OP af)

Edited by ApexAzimuth

7 hours ago, ApexAzimuth said:

@PJTierney:  Above is Le Spam.

Looks like they were caught already 🙂 

We've been having a few spambots show up on the forum recently. Not so many in DiRT but @BarryBL sees them in F1 quite a bit.

• Agree 1

On 2/19/2020 at 6:52 AM, ApexAzimuth said:

You all shouldn't have any trouble overtaking me in Spain.  My run just emphasized how bad I am at tarmac rallying. 😂

Your downplay is so cute 😘

First Wales: I was still sick (my temperature was still higher than normal), but only a few hours to go I thought I try it. My target was to not lose too many points to my rivals. I had no problem with concentrating on the road, did only a spin in SS2 and one in SS3. I was surprisingly fast, though sometimes I had some strange feeling like I was on a carussel. Sometimes it was a bit like slow motion. Well, I beat @Janneman60, so it must have been quite good. But the 5 Turbo seems to be not so good on bumpy roads in comparison to the M3.

Now Spain: I feel much better today, so no excuses here. Unfortunately I did too many small mistakes to beat @ApexAzimuth. It was definitely possible, but I didn't found my rythm most of the time and came off the track 2 times and hit the wall 2 times. Nothing serious, but costed too much time in the end.

Sooooo, wich car class next? Hopefully not R5's again 😅
I assume we want to finish the next championship around the time the McRae Pack comes out and will start then a championship in the class the Impreza is in. But I'm not sure if it will be in Group A or 2000cc. So probably not those 2 classes next? And probably not RWD again? Just brainstorming.

2 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

Your downplay is so cute 😘

Apparently my Spain run wasn't as bad as it felt.  In hindsight that makes my post look arrogant. :classic_blush:  I suppose that's a risk when I drive before anyone else.

2 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

Sooooo, wich car class next? Hopefully not R5's again 😅
I assume we want to finish the next championship around the time the McRae Pack comes out and will start then a championship in the class the Impreza is in. But I'm not sure if it will be in Group A or 2000cc. So probably not those 2 classes next? And probably not RWD again? Just brainstorming.

Regardless of whether the next championship starts before or after Flatout comes out, I won't pick R5 or Group B (4WD) since it feels like every other club does both those classes only.   I'm considering maybe RallyGT, Group B (RWD), or 2000cc.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Well, in fact my rally was over halfway ss1. A really big crash heavily damaged the car. I limped the wreck through stage 2 and 3 before I could repair most of the damage. Next 4 stages were not bad (even won one) but there was not much motivation left. Atleast I finished.