DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club

Holy !#$% fully degraded Greek stages are DANGEROUS. The starting 100 meters on last stage has potholes so big i immediately bottomed out and nearly missed the turn. 😵

That's what i get for not driving degraded Greece before - still did well, but that was one hell of a scare.

20 hours ago, somethingthing said:

What exactly is it that make it such a struggle for you? Maybe someone are willing to give setup tips 🙂

It just seems I can‘t find the sweetspot between bouncing around and direct steering and smooth suspension but horribly passive steering and leaning of the chassis..

Its either a very passive steering and rolling without a whole lot grip so I have to drive super clean because I can‘t make up for mistakes due to the passive behavior.. or .. a sh*tload of grip and acceleration but very bumpy, rough, hard suspension and totally unpredictable feeling where the car might point next.

I‘m pretty sure that a lot of this is just me not being able to controll the temper of this little beast 😂

but it bothers me nontheless.

Lots of silly mistakes that ended up costing a lot in Greece 😕 

Posted (edited)

Just finished Greece.

Default setup this time for me but it was working fine.

I did 1,5 split with a front puncture on SS2... Stupid mistake and lost lights as well. Idiot 🙂 SS3 was also very bad for me after hitting rock and slipping off the road 😕 so a lot of time lost there unfortunately. Last stage is just crazy to drive. Almost rolled twice and I am happy to finish the rally. But it could be better 😉 

Edited by Snoopy43

I was not feeling a rhythm in Greece.  Never had confidence throughout.  Not sure if it's a setup issue or just an off evening, but I felt like the car was just fighting me at every corner and my mind was wandering instead of focusing on the notes.

I tried since 2pm starting the rally, saw many, many, many connection-error messages in that time.
You can't imagine how many times the game tries to connect to the server before you actually race!
And after that...

I'm so angry right now.
If I had known the game releases on PS+ for the greedy casuals today, I had done the run yesterday and wouldn't have even tried to play today.
Because it's Codemasters...the worst developer I know in terms of online functionality. And I play Nintendo-Games regularly.

I managed to do the first 3 stages and then ran out of time.
All 3 stages were a mess, because I was angry, and therefore not focused and out of rythm.

I'm very close to take the disc out of the disc tray and brake it!

Now I go play Animal Crossing, to calm down, before I hurt somebody.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Well, somebody put up a sign over the door saying "open to all", so y'all only have y'allselves to blame that I came on in.  I'm the guy in the VERY slow, turd-colored #13 Legacy with the fuzzy dice on the mirror and the back end full of beer bottles and sausage packages.  I'll try hard not to block the road with the broken carcass of my car and will gladly pull over to let faster traffic pass, but y'all will have to honk loud because I've got zydeco blaring on my CD player. 

I look forward to being utterly and completely schooled by you all because I need learning.  I shall now have to go back several years of posts to get the backstory on what I suspect are by now long-standing rivalries.  So thanks for letting me in and I hope not to make a mess 🙂 

Anyway, I did the 1st 3 stages of Spain just now and am proud to say i only slightly dinged my car once.  You know that really long straightaway that ends in a hairpin?  Yeah, I braked a "hair" too late and gently nosed into the outside wall after making 90^ of the 180^.  But of course, keeping my car intact means I went very slow.  Seemed fast to me from the driver's seat until I saw the replay from outside and thought, "I could jog that fast'.  And I'm old and have had 3 knee surgeries 😄

So, lots of fun so far.  You'll find me at the mid-event service area boiling a pot of crawfish for the rest of y'all when y'all get here.  I seem to be the 1st person to do this so far (it says I'm #1 of 1 total participant).  Don't know if that's true or just a bug, but either way it makes me feel good to be leading an event for a change 😄.  I'm sure that will change within the hour....

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Okay wow! So this time in spain i had a good feeling in the car. Was comfortable with my setup. Had a few practice runs to be sure. Solid pace at around 5:30 for ss1 i was allright with.

ss1 after maybe 3 km.. littlebit too fast into a 3 left and slightly clipped a rockwall on the outside of the corner.

Catapulted the front of the car into the air, rolled, over the fencing on the other side of the road —> DNF unrecoverable car.

Guys this isnt working out for me 😂😂😂 5th DNF in the 5th event. 2 of those in ss1. 

• Sad 1

Servers seem to be ******, not sure I'll get a run in as I don't want to waste 30 minutes just for the servers to crash again and loose all my progress

30 minutes... who am I kidding, I'll of DNF'ed well before that time 🤣 

• Haha 1

Yabby somehow did not beat me on Greece, though he was only 3 seconds behind in the end. These servers after PS+ though, yikes. Might as well uninstall 😅

• Sad 1

Sacré misére!  Les maudites servers are down!  Nom d'un chien qui mange la m...e!  (NOTE:  I only slip into patois when I'm mad and most of my vocabulary is curses, so don't expect me to understand real French).

It's my day off, 1300 my time.  All my household chores done, time to RACE!  I'm all fresh and energized from kayaking earlier.  And.... nothing.  When I did the 1st 3 stages last night, it was 2100 or so my time, and the servers had just come back up apparently when Europe went to bed.  So I'll try again later.

22 minutes ago, BayouRally said:

Sacré misére! Les serveurs des maudites sont en panne! Nom d'un chien qui mange la m ... e! (NOTE: je ne glisse en patois que quand je suis fou et la plupart de mon vocabulaire est des malédictions, alors ne vous attendez pas à ce que je comprenne le vrai français).

C'est mon jour de congé, 1300 heures. Toutes mes tâches ménagères terminées, il est temps de COURIR! Je suis tout frais et énergisé par le kayak plus tôt. Et rien. La nuit dernière, lorsque j'ai fait les 3 premières étapes, il était 2100 heures environ, et les serveurs venaient de remonter apparemment lorsque l'Europe s'est couchée. Je vais donc réessayer plus tard.

Same here in france i just did the 1 and 2nd stage, hope i will not finish dnf for the third, i will try later...

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I should have mentioned this already but my results are showing under my Steam name, which is "Bullethead".  Somebody on these forums already took that name, though, so that's why I'm "BayouRally" here.

Anyway, by about 1800 US CDT, I was FINALLY able to get into the club and complete the last 4 stages of Spain so I am "awaiting results" with an intact car.  And the leaderboard still shows me as the only entrant, so I'm still #1.  Yay me!  Of course, my time is VERY slow so EVERYBODY else will knock me down a peg until I settle out at the bottom.  All in all, I was  pretty happy with the results that were within my control--I was comfortably thrilling (from my novice perspective) and didn't have any major wrecks.  HOWEVER, I got hosed by a technical glitch which REALLY slowed me down on stages 5 and 6, probably adding 3-5 minutes to my time.  Oh well....  There are some who can't play at all so I count myself fortunate.

So, as I seem to be the 1st to arrive at the end of this, once again I'll be boiling up some crawfish for the rest of y'all when y'all get here.  Also, I have several blue plastic cases of good ol' highly shaken, unrefrigerated Finnish beer (my other car game is MSC) but it might not be enough for the whole crew, so y'all should probably stop and grab some more as you come into that village at the final finish line.

Debrief:

SS1 and 2:  I thought I did about as well as I could.  Lines weren't great, missed a few gears, was probably too cautious in places, but all in all solid rookie performance.
SS3:  Picked up the pace slightly but really blew the hairpin left after the long straight, lightly nosed the wall, and had to back up.  Decided not to push my luck and quit for the night when I got to the service area.
SS4:  About like SS3, lightly scraped a cliff face on the outside of a 3R about the middle of the stage.  Slight cosmetic damage but that's all.  Pretty good for me.
SS5 and 6:  Encountered a bug which caused a big black blob of low-res pixels to flow across my screen, partially or totally obscuring the view.  This happened whenever I came by a large flock of spectators but I think it that just made it worse.  I think it was really a reflection issue due to the low sun angle and the wet road, and the details of all the spectators' clothing and flashbulbs just made it worse.  It was like having your oil tank hit in a WW2 flightsim, with the oil blowing back all over the windshield.  So if I couldn't see anything, I slowed down to 1st gear and just navigated by the roadsides visible in the side windows, or maybe the guard rail or white stripe if I could see that.  Then I'd go around a bend, the angle would change, and I might have a partial view ahead, so I'd step it up to 2nd gear.  Eventually, i'd get past the spectators and could see fine again.
SS7:  Before this stage, I went into options and disabled spectators.  Also turned reflections down a notch.  Still had the black blob but it confined itself to the water on the roads so didn't cause any problems.  I think also because it was a bit darker so there wasn't as much glare on the road.  Anyway I put in another good (for me) performance to finish strong (for me) 😄 

Here are some pics of the "oil leak".  I had time to take them as I was just idling along at the time 🙂 I decided to play through it until the last service area as the sporting thing to do.  So FIDO!! (F... it, drive on!)  I rationalized it as spectators throwing waterballoons full of used motor oil at me due to extreme disappointment at paying so much for tickets and then seeing just slow, boring, non-crashing me go by 😄  

Oil Leak 01.jpg

Oil Leak 02.jpg

Edited by BayouRally

Looks strange. Maybe even worse as my situation were racenet not allows me to drive at all.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

Looks strange. Maybe even worse as my situation were racenet not allows me to drive at all.

It's a real shame about the servers.  They're going up and down at irregular intervals. so it's all luck of the draw if they happen to be up when you've got the time to play.  I was lucky on the timing so got to do this event, but others won't be able to through no fault of their own, which is disappointing for everybody, not just those directly impacted.  How can I see just how bad I am if most drivers can't play? 😄 

The really disappointing thing, however, is that if the servers keep enough people out of this event, I might get some points by default, which I would feel like I stole.  So actually, my "oil leak" makes me feel better, ensuring that I'll be properly last place in a limited field.  I mean, if everybody was playing and I did NOT have the "oil leak", I'd be last of the finishers anyway, I'm sure, so the "oil leak" would have cost me nothing.  Last by an extra few minutes is still last 😉 

13 minutes ago, BayouRally said:

It's a real shame about the servers.  They're going up and down at irregular intervals. so it's all luck of the draw if they happen to be up when you've got the time to play.  I was lucky on the timing so got to do this event, but others won't be able to through no fault of their own, which is disappointing for everybody, not just those directly impacted.  How can I see just how bad I am if most drivers can't play? 😄 

The really disappointing thing, however, is that if the servers keep enough people out of this event, I might get some points by default, which I would feel like I stole.  So actually, my "oil leak" makes me feel better, ensuring that I'll be properly last place in a limited field.  I mean, if everybody was playing and I did NOT have the "oil leak", I'd be last of the finishers anyway, I'm sure, so the "oil leak" would have cost me nothing.  Last by an extra few minutes is still last 😉 

The way the clubs reward points is based on number of participants. So if less people participate, you also get less points by default even if you win. You can check that out looking through the last events.

10 minutes ago, SkyRex said:

The way the clubs reward points is based on number of participants. So if less people participate, you also get less points by default even if you win. You can check that out looking through the last events.

That's a good rule--I see the logic of it-- and it makes me feel better 😉  I'm not playing to win, I'm here for the camaraderie and just hoping to survive and gradually get better over a long period of time.  Besides, I missed the 1st 1/3 or so of the season anyway.

While I've got your attention, I want to thank you personally for all your excellent set-up and other tutorial videos.  They've been a big help to me.  Please make more 🙂 

• Agree 1

Finally managed to get in, and was trying my best to keep up with H-shifter and clutch. But alas, on SS3 I double punctured on a fairly small mistake so I retired.

• Sad 2

Wow.. Game decided that i do NOT have a spare, even though i clicked to have 1 after finishing setup, so retirement/Alt+f4 on SS3 because i crashed on the very first turn. I am so going to ragequit, because next one is Monte. Free points for anyone else, i guess. 🧂

• Sad 2

I finished! 😁 puncture on stage 5 and a car that looked like something from MadMax. but it got me to the end.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Evilsmurf said:

I finished! 😁 puncture on stage 5 and a car that looked like something from MadMax. but it got me to the end.

YAY!  Hope you like crawfish and brought some beer 🙂 

• Haha 1

Soooo, finished.
Did it in the middle of the night (between 5 and 6 am here), just to be save.

SS1: Was solid, a bit too cautious, but I wanted to keep the tyres alive.

SS2: Again, first half too cautious, but I started making small mistakes in the second half culminating in a big mistake going of the road.

SS3-SS6: Did several stupid mistakes, touching the inside, leaving the track and so on. Car was good, but at first I was too cautious and then pushed too hard and made many mistakes, those I usually don't do. Meh.

SS7: No big drama, was ok.

Result: Could have been much better, did too many stupid mistakes.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

Soooo, finished.

Yay!  Just in time for the 2nd batch of crawfish, which is an order of magnitude spicier than the 1st.  Hope you brought some beer 🙂

Nothing special. A spin on ss2 and a blown tyre on the end of ss6. That was strange, nothing hit but just before a corner it went of the rim. So I spun. Facing the wrong direction the co said 'I think there is something wrong with the car'.... yup I noticed 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

Nothing special. A spin on ss2 and a blown tyre on the end of ss6. That was strange, nothing hit but just before a corner it went of the rim. So I spun. Facing the wrong direction the co said 'I think there is something wrong with the car'.... yup I noticed 😀

Yay, you made it!  Still some crawfish left, don't know about the beer.

What tire compound did you use?  Do you think it might just have worn out after 3 stages?