DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club

Had to happen at least once..  Naturally on a ******* tarmac stage.   Puncture on SS1, no replacement.  Game over.  I hate tarmac.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, BayouRally said:

What tire compound did you use?  Do you think it might just have worn out after 3 stages?

I used wets. Also on the first leg with 2 dry stages. The tyres on that first leg were gone but on the second leg last stage they still had decent grip.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

I used wets. Also on the first leg with 2 dry stages. The tyres on that first leg were gone but on the second leg last stage they still had decent grip.

I'm really confused about tires.  I read about how they don't wear out as fast as they should so it's OK to use soft (or wet,  which has the same low durability as soft).  But I haven't played enough to really have a feel for it yet, and I'm trying to minimize risk in this thing, so I'm going conservative.  I did all the long stages on hards.  Didn't notice any real difference in grip between dry and wet roads, no doubt because I don't drive fast enough 😄  But I did use wets for the final, short stage.

Finally I did rally with no big mistakes. A bit of tyre gamble for first loop as I chose softs and tried to push on first two stages to gain some time before going to SS3. And I had to be really careful as there was almost no grip. Just before the finish I had to reverse after bit too late braking. The rest went smooth so I am happy to finish first. Big shame that I could not start in first two rallies as they are my favourite locations.

It was good rally and we'll see what Monte will bring 😉

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BayouRally said:

I'm really confused about tires.  I read about how they don't wear out as fast as they should so it's OK to use soft (or wet,  which has the same low durability as soft).  But I haven't played enough to really have a feel for it yet, and I'm trying to minimize risk in this thing, so I'm going conservative.  I did all the long stages on hards.  Didn't notice any real difference in grip between dry and wet roads, no doubt because I don't drive fast enough 😄  But I did use wets for the final, short stage.

In this case of Spain, if you know how softs on wet handle, first 3 stages would've been on softs (i was before game removed my spare...) and then rest on wets, since they should have some boost on wet roads compared to any dry tires. The rule with Softs in general is Mostly easy 2 Longs + 1 Short, sometimes even 3 longs, depending on surface, which i think is easily possible on Tarmac.

suspect wets last longer, but only if it is all wet roads, than softs on dry roads. But yea, i lost the message i saw, but apparently the softs have longer life than originally planned due to some too late caught pre-release problems, and hence why Hards are literally useless, since similar life kinda extends to the medium vs hard tire comparison.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Snoopy43 said:

Finally I did rally with no big mistakes. A bit of tyre gamble for first loop as I chose softs and tried to push on first two stages to gain some time before going to SS3. And I had to be really careful as there was almost no grip. Just before the finish I had to reverse after bit too late braking. The rest went smooth so I am happy to finish first. Big shame that I could not start in first two rallies as they are my favourite locations.

It was good rally and we'll see what Monte will bring 😉

You were probably the only one in that rally without several huge mistakes.
I'm 3rd with only 6 seconds behind Yabby and lost way more than a minute on mistakes 😅

Had never thought of doing the first leg on softs, though.
Way too risky for SS3.

5 hours ago, Snaky115 said:

suspect wets last longer, but only if it is all wet roads, than softs on dry roads. But yea, i lost the message i saw, but apparently the softs have longer life than originally planned due to some too late caught pre-release problems, and hence why Hards are literally useless, since similar life kinda extends to the medium vs hard tire comparison.

Thanks for the info.  I was just going by the number of bars in durability shown in the game.  Hards have all 3, mediums have 2, softs and wets have 1.   Also, I was kinda roleplaying with this.  But if there's no rule against going with whatever works, then I'll downsize my tires from here on 🙂

16 minutes ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

You were probably the only one in that rally without several huge mistakes.

Ahem.  I only barely kissed the walls twice.  Unless you consider ALL my driving 1 big mistake start-to-finish, with which I'd agree 😄

• Haha 1

Well, that didn't last long.  1st stage went OK.  2nd stage I slipped off the outside of a hairpin left (I hate hairpins) and got high-centered on the snowbank.  I did what I usually do in such circumstance in real life, switching from forward to reverse while rocking the wheels.  And after a bit of that, it said I was disqualified.  End of event.  Oh well.  You all will have to do without crawfish this time 😉

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Three stages of Monte done... and yikes, it's really hard to go fast with H-pattern + clutch. The downshifts on the icy downhill sections are a nightmare, difficult enough when using sequential :classic_angry:

On the upside, managed to at least get one or two heel-toe downshifts nailed, and have started to learn how to clutch kick a bit in the corners. But the speed is... not there 😛 

The seconds leg done, it's about the same. Slow allround, but the downhill on ice hairpins... yikes. Slid out once and spun twice on the last downhill in the dark 😛

Edited by Dytut
  • Like 1

Exept one big mistake in stage 5 and a little slow i wasn t too bad this time ! Wait and see !!

• Like 1

Leading after stage 2. Then disaster on ss3 wirh a small mistake, a small touch of the wall, but the flat tyre ruined my race.

In the other stages I could cut my minute penalty on half to @SkyRex but still a pitty.

No drama for me this time, a small mistake on SS2 cost me a few seconds and sometimes I was a bit too cautious, but a pretty good rally for my standards.

5 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

No drama for me this time, a small mistake on SS2 cost me a few seconds and sometimes I was a bit too cautious, but a pretty good rally for my standards.

Damn, about 10sec faster every stage except the last. And that despite my run feeling quite solid and for once rather mistake-free. When Yabby does his run, maybe mine will still be enough to hold 3rd and get a podium once again.

I have to ask: Tyre-Choice? I took Winters and only softs for stage 7. Only on stage 7 I was on par with your time, so did you take softs everywhere, even with the ice?

Got my run in last night. Pretty happy with it. Not knowing the stages inside out didn't help with the braking, lost a lot of time as I had no idea were the ice would be. Now the games finished, I'll put more time into it and hopefully gain that "local knowledge"  

I finished Monte. It went okay but I have no idea how to drive snowy parts 😕 I am losing a lot of time in these sections. Always like 3-5 seconds in 2-3 splits. I don’t know what to do 😂

Last stage was funny because grip difference was soo huge that I could not find rhythm at all and almost crashed so I am lucky to finish the rally to be honest. 

Phew! Managed to get through Monte without any major incidents. Lost focus on stage 6 and did a few mistakes, including a full-stop when I hit a bush. Lucky for me, it seems that @SkyRex was a bit off pace there as well so I managed to stay ahead of him. Since I never had more than a few secs lead on him throughout the rally I fully expected to mess up somewhere, but in the end I beat him with a whopping 0.362 seconds. That was intense, great fun. 😄

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SkyRex said:

Damn, about 10sec faster every stage except the last. And that despite my run feeling quite solid and for once rather mistake-free. When Yabby does his run, maybe mine will still be enough to hold 3rd and get a podium once again.

Well... 😅

13 hours ago, SkyRex said:

I have to ask: Tyre-Choice? I took Winters and only softs for stage 7. Only on stage 7 I was on par with your time, so did you take softs everywhere, even with the ice?

No chance for that.
Winters for SS1 to SS6 as normal and softs on SS7.
SS7 was really strange, though. The huge amount of grip scared me a bit.

@Snoopy43 beat me by a few seconds, grr 😣😅
Now I have to wait for @ApexAzimuth and @Snaky115,
Maybe a podium in Monte, whohoo 😄 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

Well... 😅

No chance for that.
Winters for SS1 to SS6 as normal and softs on SS7.
SS7 was really strange, though. The huge amount of grip scared me a bit.

@Snoopy43 beat me by a few seconds, grr 😣😅
Now I have to wait for @ApexAzimuth and @Snaky115,
Maybe a podium in Monte, whohoo 😄 

Haha same for me with last stage! It was good fight though! 🙂 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I was seriously considering not even trying Monte because I hate it with a burning passion.

I should have listened to my hate.  Retire in SS2.  **** Tarmac.

I'm probably out of the running at this point.  2 Tarmac rallies in a row killed my spirit completely.

I've spent more time practicing on Monte Carlo than any other rally but it's done me no good at all.  I still crash and when I don't. I'm horribly slow even though I feel like I'm on the edge all the time.. HUGE waste of effort.  I can't feel the road, I'm always going from massive understeer to spinning out with no sign that it's happening.

Edited by ApexAzimuth

Wow, that could be a title deciding point in the championship.

Come on, @ApexAzimuth! I expect a huge push forward in the 2nd half of the season from you!
It could have been such a close, intense battle between Yabby, Apex, Snoopy and Snaky this season, but oh well, maybe next season.
And hopefully Kildog somethingthing and jnco89 come back to the party at some point.

I think it's to some extent Codemasters fault with their wonky RaceNet and their slow club website.
If all those thinks would work more consistent and fast, we would have more regular players.
And not to forget some options, who would do things more interesting.

Posted (edited)

Yeah with another tarmac rally still left, I'm pretty sure there's no hope of a title for me this season.  I'd have to pull off a miracle to make up for 2 consecutive retirements.  The worst part is that I've lost motivation to drive after these last two.

Edited by ApexAzimuth

23 minutes ago, ApexAzimuth said:

Yeah with another tarmac rally still left, I'm pretty sure there's no hope of a title for me this season.  I'd have to pull off a miracle to make up for 2 consecutive retirements.  The worst part is that I've lost motivation to drive after these last two.

But next is USA! You have to win!
I heard, the winner get the best chicks at the finish line! 😀🤥

Posted (edited)

I am passing on Monte from last time, i am not doing it with cockpit cam restriction, ever. I drive for fun, and Monte isn't in that plan. Good runs by Snoopy and Underclass.

Edited by Snaky115

People practice! :classic_blink: I just turn up and drive 🤣. I'm going to try and drive a bit more, but I don't need any "home work" lol

Fair play to those that put in that kind of effort 👍 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Evilsmurf said:

People practice! :classic_blink: I just turn up and drive 🤣. I'm going to try and drive a bit more, but I don't need any "home work" lol

Fair play to those that put in that kind of effort 👍 

Yeah a shakedown or two and then just go out there