DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club

On 8/29/2020 at 9:27 AM, Snaky115 said:

I went airborne unexpectedly in SS2 as well, or whichever had the fast uncuttable right 6 left 6. Couldve jumped over a 1.5m tall person there. I wasn't even near an edge, i was middle of road preparing for the chicane o-o. After SS3 i went to bed and..  - rage quit on SS4 due to forgetting its wet and not double checking the spares going away after an 'exit to menu' bug. Rest in pieces both rear tyres, TURN ONE.

This game is ridiculously unfun lol.

I wonder if those weird air stunts could be avoided by raising ride height. I was at about 2/3, which felt real good but might be necessary to be a bit over the top on ride height with the the R5s. Never really pushed hard with them so not used to setups.

New Zealand was ok for me,made one bigger mistake that did cost me some seconds.   But now I have big troubles to stay on track in Monaro. 

Completely messed up the setup for leg 1. Wasn't completely awful in the dry on SS1 (but got a spin from it being slightly understeery anyways). But on SS2 it was pure **** in the wet. Spun three times, had awful understeer mid-to-late in the corners, kept sliding out and really hard to judge the angle of attack.

Did some on-the-fly adjustments at service, and leg 2 it was much nicer to drive, luckily my tweaks were correct. One mistake on SS7 that cost me a bit, but nothing major for leg 2 and could push a little bit.

Anyone doing a clean run can beat me with about a minute or so, but apparently everyone as issues here.

Issues, indeed. In my case a crash, a blown tyre and a badly damaged engine. Australia is one of my least favourite rallies and I crash regularly, so I started out a bit tentative in SS1. SS2 was better and just as I began to feel comfortable, I crashed in SS3. Limped home without changing the tyre, but the engine (and turbo and radiator and wheel geometry... you get the picture) was so badly damaged I couldn't repair it without penalty. So I just fixed the radiator and a few other parts.

SS 4 to 6 were a lesson in patience, the engine sounding awful and the car getting slower and slower. At least I avoided terminal damage and made it to the end.

Terminal damage on an otherwise undamaged car on SS2, at 44 MPH.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dunoon said:

Terminal damage on an otherwise undamaged car on SS2, at 44 MPH.

Ouch.

On 8/30/2020 at 10:14 PM, YoMrWhite said:

SS 4 to 6 were a lesson in patience, the engine sounding awful and the car getting slower and slower. At least I avoided terminal damage and made it to the end.

Was obviously the right decision, 3rd place is not bad for so many problems with the car!

I had a solid run.
SS3 was very difficult, felt no grip at all and crashed twice before half of the stage was over, so I stopped pushing hard and made it to the end.
Still had 1-2 smaller mistakes, but was very happy seeing the finish then 😄 

2nd leg @Dytut was definitely faster, but had a good gap to him.
Last stage he did a mistake, so easy to defend first place.

Overall it was obviously good for me, but was definitely not the fastest here.

Greece is still Greece, probably the only event where i wont make mistakes 😂 I shouldve checked if mediums actually wear less than softs, coz i swear they had a *woop, here comes F1 tyre wear* in the tricky bit of Stage 6. >_>

I really suck at setting up the Skoda. First leg I was once again suffering from understeer, made a lot of adjustments at mid service that made it a bit better but went far too soft so was wobbly and hard to control at times. Never managed to push, but happy to have made it through.

I never even try to really set up the car. Sometimes I change the gear ratios and adjust the brake balance, but that's it. In most cases, it's just the stock setup and go.

Greece (stock setup and soft tyres) was quite good. After the two rocky events down under I really wanted a clean rally, so I tried to be precise and avoid any big risks in the first three stages. In the second part I tried to open up a bit more, but had one roll in SS4 and a spin in SS5, so I reverted to my initial tactic. Beating @Snaky115was out of the question. A really dominant performance.

About the tyres: I had the feeling they were already losing some grip in the second half of the second stages, but maybe that was just my imagination. In the third stage, the loss of grip was obvious, but manageable.

Wohoohoo! That was close @YoMrWhite!

No chance against @Snaky115 here, he is just too fast.
And that on mediums? Crazy!

@Dytut Same picture here like in Australia I guess: Faster in the 2nd leg, but lost too much time in the first.

I did my run last night and I was pretty tired. At the beginning I thought I was ok, but lost a bit focus going through.
Did several mistakes in the 2nd leg, one of them was not far away from being a fatal crash: Was already on the cliff going down, but managed to save it last minute.

The tyres were ok, had a bit grip loss in SS3 & 6, but not as bad as in Australia.

Yeah, i had a similar "hold on now" about the tyres losing grip MrWhite, but then they recovered a corner or two later and kept going for the most part, other than braking distance faltering.

And yea, since this club is usually 'high degradation' gravel, as a little self-challenge and to have that extra half stage or so of pushing available i plan to run mediums on most gravel events

It does help that i had very mild practice on high deg to get that Solberg Club Greece top30 way back 😂 (rants about how physics made him lose a top 15 spot...)

Felt quite OK in Spain, but made a really silly mistake in SS6. Lost concentration since it all felt easy, kept a bit too much speed in a corner and the car slid wide and touched the armco. Spun, and then a really slow slide off the road that I couldn't get up from so a heavy reset time when I auto reset 😕 don't have the timing UI on, so don't know exactly, but I guess about 30-40 seconds penalty.

I just did a Dytut on stage 3, lost track that my braking grip is severely reduced and went from -7 lead to +33 deficit in final 4 corners 😂

EDIT: *****, your penalty must've been 40 seconds on SS6.

Edited by Snaky115

4 hours ago, Snaky115 said:

I just did a Dytut on stage 3, lost track that my braking grip is severely reduced and went from -7 lead to +33 deficit in final 4 corners 😂

EDIT: *****, your penalty must've been 40 seconds on SS6.

Yeah I think it was one of the really bad places 😕

Spain is one of my least favourite locations in DR2. Kind of boring, but nevertheless I often crash.

SS1 was quite good, in SS2 I left the road for a few seconds, in SS3 I crashed heavily. As in Australia, two tyres were gone and in the service I couldn't repair everything and had to drive SS4 to 6 seriously underpowered. At least I was so slow I was literally unable to have another accident.

Did repairs, but had to leave the game, and when I continued I didn't check - repairs were gone and I had to start SS7 with a badly damaged car and worn tyres. Of course then I finally managed to have another crash, puncturing another tyre and dropping another place. Very stupid.

No big mishaps in Monte, but two small spins on SS1 and SS2. Felt fine after that, but no big pace either. But it's Monte, getting to the finish is good enough 😄

Started decent in SS1, in SS2 I had one of those annoying automatic resets when I hit a wooden barrier with the left rear. 8 seconds gone, plus the loss of speed. In SS3 I somehow completely lost my rhythm and picked up a puncture halfway through the stage. SS4 to SS7 went much better, roughly matching @Dytut. Too little too late but better than Spain. Now I really hope to avoid punctures in the next few events.

Understeered into a low wall on SS3 flipped over it and 'Terminal Damage Unrecoverable position' or whatever came up.

Years ago I would have Rage Quit in this situation, now I just quietly come out of the game, shut down the computer and go out into the garden and scream.

• Haha 3

As I'm having the last weeks a lot of fun in DR2 I think I would try some club races.

So which club are you talking about and do you like to have some new racers? 

35 minutes ago, Peter Mathen said:

As I'm having the last weeks a lot of fun in DR2 I think I would try some club races.

So which club are you talking about and do you like to have some new racers? 

Just search after "DRChampionship" on the club page and you should find this club.
And yes, new racers are always welcome.

• Thanks 1

I definitely have to work on my concentration, New England being a new low. After two thirds of the first stage (not brilliant, but solid), I had to take a short break to tend to the first of two family requests of - let's say varying - importance. Shortly after the first break, I had a crash, of course with the obligatory puncture. Here we go again! The second break completely destroyed what was left of my concentration. I reached service with a badly damaged car, did some repairs and promptly crashed again in SS4. This one was worse, as you can tell by a look at my stage times in SS4 to SS6. I was surprised I even reached service, but I didn't want to give up. It's endurance after all, isn't it? Some repairs later, I started SS7 and instantly made a major mistake, crashing heavily into a fence. Another tyre was gone and the game suggested retirement. No way! I was able to nurse the car home, crawling over the finish line in second gear, as the car wouldn't go any faster. Quite the painful experience, I have to say.

20200913205257_1.jpg

Stage 5 - Fortunately i got out of this pickle instantly to continue this bumpy run of USA. Lost 2-3 in each stage since i kept cussing out High deg+Wet combo the entire time i was driving.