DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
How to contact Customer Service Read more... ×
F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club

Another weak performance in the second loop. A strange reset after apparently touching something in SS4, later in the stage I hit a tree and punctured. Radiator und engine damage made SS5 and SS6 a frustrating experience. And in SS7 after a hairpin I got stuck behind a signpost for a few seconds. Oh my...

Maybe it was just not enough sleep, but too much coffee and CNN in the last days...

I had a spin early in ss1, the lost time was only a few seconds, but somehow the car got a cracked radiator. Ss2 en 3 the engine lost power because of that.

After service, were the crew repaired the most important things, I was back to normal speed. No drama in the other stages. 

Worst run ever in Sotland.

Had a too loose setup for leg 1, so had no control at speed. Hit some stuff on the side at speed, lots of rolls and a puncture on SS2.

Adjusted the setup for leg 2, and it felt quite good. But that meant I was faster, and the RS200 is temperamental at best. Messed up the front in some places, so spun and wrecked the engine. Meh. On a good note, finally felt like the general setup idea started to work for me, so hope to use it as a base setup for the rest of the season.

On 11/8/2020 at 9:48 PM, Dytut said:

Worst run ever in Sotland.

Same here. First 3 stages were okayish, but quite slow. I just don't have enough track knowledge in Scotland. Anyway, in SS4 - today, the other stages I did two days ago, I think - I felt like driving on ice, crashing twice and getting a puncture. The banged up Mini barely made it to the next service. Quick fixed some parts, then... Look for yourself.

20201110214739_1.jpg.c83aaabe36481977c15d03cc10681701.jpg

A decent rally. The first stint I was a bit faster as @Dytut but the 2e and 3e stint he didn't drive (yet) so I lost my reference. W'll see...

21 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

A decent rally. The first stint I was a bit faster as @Dytut but the 2e and 3e stint he didn't drive (yet) so I lost my reference. W'll see...

Yeah, you kept on. I wasn't comfortable at all in the RS200. Also max unluck with two rather small touches messing up my engine on leg 1, and on leg 2 a really small shunt gave me a rear left puncture. No matter, couldn't keep pace with you anyway. Just having a really hard time finding a balance between controllability and grip with the RS200, seems like I just change the way it wants to kill me however I set it up 😛 So deceptive, it just feels really good to drive then it snaps around.

After a solid first three stages, I picked up a puncture early on in SS4. In SS5 I tried to make up some ground and got a second puncture. With half of the stage and the next one to go until service and no second spare, I decided to give up and spare me another 10 or 12 minutes of frustration. 🐀

"Try to make up some ground'" 😀 that is what we all want to do after a mistake, but in 99,9% it just means more trouble.

• Agree 1

Finally found the sweet spot for the RS200, where it was predictable and allowed me to push a bit. SS1-2 in australia were fun and decently fast, then on SS3 I was so pleased that I tried to push a weeeee bit too much and cut a corner... smashed something and punctured. Oh well, at least it was a pure driver error this time 🙂

18 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

"Try to make up some ground'" 😀 that is what we all want to do after a mistake, but in 99,9% it just means more trouble.

Wise words, my friend. But sometimes, you just have to try, because I felt quite comfortable in Argentina. Well, mostly... Australia was as usual not very good. Crash, puncture, crash, puncture, retired. In anything faster than a Lancia Fulvia I'm going to crash there. Must be some kind of eternal law.

I think I reached my skill limit with this car.
I'm just not capable of controlling this car for more than 4-5 sectors in a row seriously 😄 

Did now 6 rallies and not a single stage in all these rallies was without a big mistake or I was driving slowly with a broken engine/puncture.

Australia was just completely ridiculous again.
SS1 was okish, just small mistakes, but I was waaaaaay too cautious, I even braked on straights sometimes because I felt I lose control.
On SS2 I punched on the gas right before the bridge after the first corner and landed in the ditch on the left side of the bridge.
Was really embarrassing.
2 or 3 sectors later I crashed into a fence on a very fast 5 left. Got damage on pretty much everything + puncture on the rear.
Barely made it to the service, could only quick repair engine and radiator and still got 30 seconds on top, lulz.
SS4-6 were better, still made mistakes, but I was capable of controlling the car...probably because I had much less power available.
SS7 was by far the best stage so far, but the car was still damaged on several parts (transmission and turbo had medium damage), but at least I could finish a stage without any noticable mistake and with GREEN at the end 😄 

I also had a absolutely fantastic experience in Argentina on SS5 on a uphill stage. At least for the first 5 sectors.
I gained 20 seconds on the current leader (I believe it was @Janneman60 ) before I crashed hard at the end of a long straight.

I'm also quite impressed of @somethingthing's performance, he outclasses us all by quite much, too bad @Snoopy43 isn't competing regularly at the moment, could be an interesting battle.
Don't see anyone of us can keep up with that pace. I believe I couldn't even beat him in a Delta 😄 

• Thanks 1

This was not a very good rally. Already had a very heavy crash halfway ss1, landed on the roof so got a penalty as bonus. Next 2 stages were better but not very fast with the damage.

To my surprise I could fix almost anything at the service. The second stint was better.  @Dytut seemed to have lost time at ss3 and we were only seconds apart. This was a nice battle, in the end he was a bit quicker. 3e for now.

These bumpy stages are not what the Metro likes. The short wheelbase makes it a difficult car on the bumps and so the confidence to go flatout is never there.

Edited by Janneman60

And there was already rally Sweden.

Found a good setup. But was a bit to calm first stage. Then it went faster. Stages 2-6 were good.

The came ss7. Halfway I made a stupid mistake and had a very heavy crash at full speed. Offcourse a flat tire and a reset. The car drove like a crab. So decided to change the tire... The car still drove like a crab, steering a lot to the left to go straight.

At least I made it 😨

I tried to tackle Finland as a pure endurance event. The strategy didn't work out too well in the first two stages - one spin and a puncture. But in the long second loop things got better. The medium tires worked quite well, I slowed down more than usual before jumps and corners and had only one or two spins in the next four stages. After SS6, I was obviously a little bit too relieved and picked up another puncture, but that didn't cost too much. Now I'm interested to see how you guys fare.

Seeing the first results come in, I was obviously too conservative in my approach. On the other hand, more risk might have resulted in even more crashes and punctures...

What tires did you use?

Yeah, after some testing on endurance events softs work better than mediums even for 12xlong stage events.

My Finland was weird but decent. Almost got a good setup, but not quite. Couldn't find what caused it, but some impacts just bottomed out the car. So had to go cautious. On the flip side, just had one small overshoot on SS6 costing me about 10s as any major trouble for the whole run, so panned out OK in the end.

1 hour ago, YoMrWhite said:

Okay, then the medium tires may be to blame for a part of my deficit. Good to know.

The time I won on you in a stage was, when you used mediums from ss3 on, about the same as in the first 2 stages. 

Maybe for Finland the tire doesn't have such a big impact, Finland is more about setting the car good before you jump into the next corner.

2 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

The time I won on you in a stage was, when you used mediums from ss3 on, about the same as in the first 2 stages. 

Maybe for Finland the tire doesn't have such a big impact, Finland is more about setting the car good before you jump into the next corner.

Yeah, its just about following/aim for the ditches pretty much. Also not dying but thats step 2 🙂

9 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

Yeah, its just about following/aim for the ditches pretty much. Also not dying but thats step 2 🙂

But touching the ditches is the little death that leads to the big one....

3 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

I had a spin in SS1 and a puncture after 2 sectors in SS2, so I would have been a lot closer. From SS3 on, I used mediums and had some clean stages, but still lost a lot of time. So I think the tire makes a difference, although I have to admit I was quite cautious, maybe too much. And of course I'm never really fast in Finland. It's better than it was in DR1, but still...

On 11/19/2020 at 11:40 AM, Janneman60 said:

I used softs. I always use softs, in my opinion the time softs last is the same as the time mediums last.

20 hours ago, Dytut said:

Yeah, after some testing on endurance events softs work better than mediums even for 12xlong stage events.

I'm not sure about that, guys.
I used softs all the way and from SS5 onwards I got huge problems with grip loss.

12 long stages in a row on softs? I don't know about that...
I'm not sure, if the tyres just have 3 levels of grip (new, used, dead) and never get worse after the third level, but even if that is the case, I'm not sure if I would have been not faster with mediums actually.
I struggled getting around corners, that were more than just a 6 or 5. The car just slided to the outside mid-corner and I had to almost come to a full stop not leaving the track, wich also happened 2 or 3 times.
But maybe I just could not adjust my driving to the grip loss, I don't know really.

All in all this was my best rally this championship so far in terms of mistakes and pace.
Still did some mistakes, but just small ones. But everytime I did a mistake I lost a bit confidence in the car and the sectors coming up were slower.
This resulted most of the time in sectors switching from green to red to green to red again.
From SS5 onwards I struggled hard with the car, because it felt I was driving on ice, additionally to the car bottom out at every bigger jump getting damage and jumping around like a kangaroo 😄 

I also tried the RS200 in australia just out of curiosity, if I can handle that better.
Was a long time since I used it and immidiately was able to use it without making save brakes all the time 😄 
Still a Group B-car and crashed at the end, though 😃

1 hour ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

I'm not sure about that, guys.
I used softs all the way and from SS5 onwards I got huge problems with grip loss.

12 long stages in a row on softs? I don't know about that...
I'm not sure, if the tyres just have 3 levels of grip (new, used, dead) and never get worse after the third level, but even if that is the case, I'm not sure if I would have been not faster with mediums actually.
I struggled getting around corners, that were more than just a 6 or 5. The car just slided to the outside mid-corner and I had to almost come to a full stop not leaving the track, wich also happened 2 or 3 times.
But maybe I just could not adjust my driving to the grip loss, I don't know really.

To compare you should do the same srages with mediums. In fact you assume the mediums last longer, as far as I tested my opinion is they don't.

Softs start to downgrade after 2 long stages, so do mediums.

27 minutes ago, Janneman60 said:

To compare you should do the same srages with mediums. In fact you assume the mediums last longer, as far as I tested my opinion is they don't.

Softs start to downgrade after 2 long stages, so do mediums.

That doesn't make sense.
Why then mediums (and hards) even exist, if they have less grip from the beginning, but don't last longer?
There is even a graphic showing that they last longer, if you choose them.

I don't say you're wrong, maybe the difference between the tyres is so small, that it doesn't make much sense to use the mediums, but maybe you are just more capable of compensating the loss in grip when it starts to happen.
I also don't know how big the difference is between dead softs and new/used mediums.

I could do SS3 to SS7 again on mediums, but I doubt I get a usable result, because my performance changes quite often and I would need the same stage surfaces because my performance is much worse on heavy degradation.