Jump to content Jump to content

DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club


Recommended Posts

Now that was a nailbiter.

Felt a bit slow on SS1, but to my surprise I was 5 seconds in front of @SkyRex. SS2 felt good, and snatched 2 more seconds for my lead.
But on SS3, disaster struck. I was just slightly too fast on a tight lefthander, touched a rock on the right and spun. Luckily I was left on the track, so I could continue but was 10 seconds behind on the stage after that, and 2 seconds behind skyrex who had reclaimed the lead.
Luckily it was Tsiristra Thea as SS4, which is my favourite stage in Greece. A fun and clean run and took 12 seconds from SkyRex on it. Back in the lead by 10 seconds.
Only problem now was that I felt my concentration lacking....
SS5 was decent, but I was real close to a big moment when I had to almost stop to avoid a disaster on a fast section. End result; lost 5 seconds back to SkyRex.
SS6 went allright, no big mistakes but my lines weren't the best. Won the stage... by 0.2 seconds.

So before the SS7 sprint stage I had a 6.2 seconds lead. One mistake and I was done for....
Started the run, and I immediately felt out of rhythm. The first two sections were sloooooow, and I didn't dare push because I knew that one big mistake. Managed to get my act together for the last two sections which went allright. Finished... and I had lost 3 seconds. First place in the event so far, and by just 3 seconds. *phew*

Thanks for the fight @SkyRex, well driven! :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Delayed report from me as it was quite late when I completed the rally and I was too exhausted after having fought tooth and nail trying to keep up with @SkyRex (this was before @Dytut had raced).
  • SS1: set a good pace for myself, quite aggressive (by my standards) but ultimately a confidence-builder as I managed a clean run. Was really happy to see I was only 2.2 seconds behind the lead at this point (another confidence booster).
  • SS2: kept up the pace but messed up a tight L1 around sector 3 (I think) and parked my nose into the rock wall on the inside. Went from bad to worse as I mis-shifted when trying to get out of the mess. Must have lost a good 6-7 secs there... 6.1 behind the lead after this one, but remained positive.
  • SS3: can't remember the details, mostly uneventful I think. 12.8 secs behind at this point.
  • SS4: surely, @SkyRex must've messed it up badly on this one, as I won the stage by 10 secs, regaining most of what I had lost so far. 2.8 secs behind the lead (another, major confidence booster!).
  • SS5: oh, no! 7.4 secs behind the lead, this is going the wrong way... Starting to accept defeat.
  • SS6: 8.2 secs behind, didn't lose too much time, good stage. Defeat accepted. Couldn't complain, though, as I had a frightening "no, no, no, yes!" moment at the penultimate R3 where I clipped the inside which tipped the car onto two wheels, while heading towards the nasty rocks on the inside. The "yes" part of that moment came when I realized this two-wheel stunt actually helped me clear the rocks. Had to check the replay on this one as I couldn't believe my luck. Turns out my front-wheel actually touched the rock. I'm usually not this lucky...
  • SS7: kept pushing, although a bit more cautious due to the near-accident at the end of SS6. Ended my rally 11.2 secs behind the lead and could finally start to breathe again.
"No, no, no, yes!" moment on SS6 (couldn't get a better angle, unfortunately).



TL;DR: I really threw caution to the wind for this rally and pushed as hard as I could/dared and couldn't be more happy with my performance.

Thanks for the fight @SkyRex, I'm really looking forward to the next one! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Damn Arete , so close... that probably destroys my hopes for winning the season.

I just updated the OP with a slight change in choosable car classes. 


And by the way: Where is everybody? The old league had 50+ members and always min.10-15 participating in the season. we are currently battling it out between the four of us ???
Link to post
Share on other sites
Time constraints are annoying. The bug with the league during the group A season probably didn't help with keeping people interested either.

I did manage to give my favourite location a shot today though! Came in cold, having only raced in dailies for the last month or so. Turns out my concentration was severely lacking, and after a double-figures number of offs I rage-retired near the start of SS3. Not even remotely competitive. Hopefully I can put together a better showing next weekend!
Link to post
Share on other sites
Ha. Had a shot at Finland. First stage was awesome, probably a PB. The rest were all laughably bad.

Pretty sure I know exactly why though - I tried driving with dashcam instead of cockpit, and it felt amazing. Seemed like I could see the road so much better, so I could push way more. Hard to tell but I reckon my pace was much quicker than usual, and either way it certainly felt fast. Of course, the flipside of that was I ended up clipping trees and rolling out by taking corners too fast (I'm never normally going fast enough for this to be a problem...).

The many punctures and resets saw any competitiveness go out the window, but boy did I have a lot of fun.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Admittedly, Finland in the modern WRC cars is my nemesis. Keep feeling fine and controlled until finland roughly tells me that it sure as hell isn't. Many squirrels were hunted, surprised the car made it to the finish. Think I had one single stage which was clean.
Link to post
Share on other sites
I tried, I really did. Ish.

In the DiRTY Forumers League I pushed like a mofo and did really well. I started this off with the same attitude. However, in the other league I'd been using an Alpine.

No worries.

I lowered the suspension because I thought the maximum height was a bad choice, and I ended up retiring after the first four corners of the second stage. On SS1 I'd completely destroyed the car's internals, including the radiator, and after adding a hefty time penalty for repairing only that, by the start of stage two the car was loose, wobbly and undriveable.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Ok, done with Finland! Not my favourite rally due to all the air-time, but I've adjust my driving there lately and think it has started to pay off.
  • SS1: Off to a good pace with a clean run. Won the stage by 3 secs.
  • SS2: Surprised at my SS1 win and lost my concentration.  No less than 5 major crashes and/or spins (no resets, though) which led to a busted radiator. Was real close to rage-quitting by the time I got to the finish. 19 seconds lost. Expected it to be a lot more, to be honest, so seems this was a wreckfest for the most of us. ;)
  • SS3 & 4: Calm down, focus on a clean run. Car starts to break down and co-driver starts complaining on SS4. Win a stage, lose a stage. Meh...
  • SS5 & 6: Full survival-mode as the car sounds like it is being powered by firecrackers. Clean stages, though, so I'm only 0,2 secs behind the leader when I'm done.
  • SS7: The few repairs I had time for hardly made any difference, but I decided to gamble and push a little bit more (than the two last stages) and go for the win. Someone was busy squirrel-hunting, for sure, as I finished on top with a 15,2 second lead.
TL;DR: Good start, crappy middle, crippled (but strong) finish. Currently at 1st position.
Just waiting for @SkyRex to swoop in and knock me down a spot now. :)
Link to post
Share on other sites
Germany was... well.. not horrible, but not good either. A few mistakes that cost me about the 15-20 seconds I ended up behind @roustabout / that_guy, but even without those offs I probably wouldn't have won. No real feeling for the car, felt like I was fighting it instead of guiding it for the most part. Just one stage that felt good.
Link to post
Share on other sites
I share your sentiment, @Dytut, this rally was just "meh" for me as well.
It's been a while since I'd driven the Fiesta and I had to tweak the tuning a bit, but couldn't quite find the sweet spot. I don't blame my performance on the car, though, as I've never been able to compete with the top times in Germany.
Thought I had a reasonably good pace on the first three stages, but was nowhere near @roustabout's speed and basically didn't stand a chance. Also, on SS4 I decided to confront a particularly cheeky hinkelstein, but the bastard wouldn't budge so I was forced to make a tactical retreat, losing precious seconds in the process.
Looking forward to the next (and final) rally in Wales!
Link to post
Share on other sites
I finished the first 3 stages and pulled into service yesterday, and with no other times on the board I wasn't really sure how I was doing (can't see friends times any more in online races).  Came back today and finished up the remaining stages.  No real dramas other than some overcooked corners and a bit of paint left on a few hinkelsteins...  Pretty close times all the way around.  Hopefully my times hold up for a bit.

Wales for me is either ok or horrific, so I'm shooting for ok on the next event.  :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
baunau said:
I share your sentiment, @Dytut, this rally was just "meh" for me as well.
It's been a while since I'd driven the Fiesta and I had to tweak the tuning a bit, but couldn't quite find the sweet spot. I don't blame my performance on the car, though, as I've never been able to compete with the top times in Germany.
Thought I had a reasonably good pace on the first three stages, but was nowhere near @roustabout's speed and basically didn't stand a chance. Also, on SS4 I decided to confront a particularly cheeky hinkelstein, but the bastard wouldn't budge so I was forced to make a tactical retreat, losing precious seconds in the process.
Looking forward to the next (and final) rally in Wales!
*pssst* We're not allowed to change cars during a season :-) 
Link to post
Share on other sites
Dytut said:
baunau said:
I share your sentiment, @Dytut, this rally was just "meh" for me as well.
It's been a while since I'd driven the Fiesta and I had to tweak the tuning a bit, but couldn't quite find the sweet spot. I don't blame my performance on the car, though, as I've never been able to compete with the top times in Germany.
Thought I had a reasonably good pace on the first three stages, but was nowhere near @roustabout's speed and basically didn't stand a chance. Also, on SS4 I decided to confront a particularly cheeky hinkelstein, but the bastard wouldn't budge so I was forced to make a tactical retreat, losing precious seconds in the process.
Looking forward to the next (and final) rally in Wales!
*pssst* We're not allowed to change cars during a season :-) 
That is one of the rules. Drive the Polo in Wales again. I will have to degrade you one position back at the end of the championship, as a penalty for changing cars.

Germany went well, except stage 6 for me. stage 6 ruined it all... well let the hopes start for next season. 
As Arete will probably get the title: @Dytut just maybe think about 2000's or R4 for your choice of next Season ?? ;) 
Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyRex said:

As Arete will probably get the title: @Dytut just maybe think about 2000's or R4 for your choice of next Season ?? ;) 
@Dytut, Consider 80s, too. Or Group B RWD plus the R5. Or R4 plus R5. Any combination including the R5, really. I'd love to drive it. Even though I haven't found a cure for the understeer in slow corners.
Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyRex said:
Dytut said:
baunau said:
I share your sentiment, @Dytut, this rally was just "meh" for me as well.
It's been a while since I'd driven the Fiesta and I had to tweak the tuning a bit, but couldn't quite find the sweet spot. I don't blame my performance on the car, though, as I've never been able to compete with the top times in Germany.
Thought I had a reasonably good pace on the first three stages, but was nowhere near @roustabout's speed and basically didn't stand a chance. Also, on SS4 I decided to confront a particularly cheeky hinkelstein, but the bastard wouldn't budge so I was forced to make a tactical retreat, losing precious seconds in the process.
Looking forward to the next (and final) rally in Wales!
*pssst* We're not allowed to change cars during a season :-) 
That is one of the rules. Drive the Polo in Wales again. I will have to degrade you one position back at the end of the championship, as a penalty for changing cars.

Germany went well, except stage 6 for me. stage 6 ruined it all... well let the hopes start for next season. 
As Arete will probably get the title: @Dytut just maybe think about 2000's or R4 for your choice of next Season ?? ;) 
I don't want him degraded or anything, just thought I'd remind him (and the rest) for the future :neutral: I prefer to fight 'til the end in wales :-)

As for car choice if I'd happen to win (I really hadn't considered winning a league... ), I'm leaning towards som 80's action :-)
Link to post
Share on other sites
Definitely up for some R5 action.

Germany went pretty well. Got within a second or so of @baunau after SS5, but then kept losing concentration on the two night stages. Still, kept it (mostly) on the road and finished! Still really, really enjoying the dash cam.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Dytut said:
SkyRex said:
Dytut said:
*pssst* We're not allowed to change cars during a season :-) 
That is one of the rules. Drive the Polo in Wales again. I will have to degrade you one position back at the end of the championship, as a penalty for changing cars.

Germany went well, except stage 6 for me. stage 6 ruined it all... well let the hopes start for next season. 
As Arete will probably get the title: @Dytut just maybe think about 2000's or R4 for your choice of next Season ?? ;) 
I don't want him degraded or anything, just thought I'd remind him (and the rest) for the future :neutral: I prefer to fight 'til the end in wales :-)

As for car choice if I'd happen to win (I really hadn't considered winning a league... ), I'm leaning towards som 80's action :-)
Oh, man, what a rookie mistake! I completely forgot about that rule. D'oh!!! :D
Fair is fair, though, and I fully accept the penalty as per the league rules.
No worries, @Dytut , I read your comment as a friendly reminder, not as a way of telling on me to @SkyRex . Will make sure to drive the Polo in Wales, for sure.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...