Jump to content Jump to content

DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club

I made it through greece :-) Focused on not crashing into retirement, so moderately paced. Still managed to misjudge a few hairpins here and there, so at least 30-40 to pick off me if you just run clean. SS5 and SS6 felt good for me, so going to be fun to see how those times stack up.

Let's put this one down as learning experience. Whenever I had a clean run, my times were not bad. Unfortunately, that was the case only in the last short stage. In every other stage, I had at least one spin, crash or reset. I think SS6 was especially painful. Hairpins were suboptimal, too, as I am still struggling with using the gearshifter of the g27 as handbrake. I'll get there, but it will take time.

Finland has nearly no hairpins, which should suit me and the R5, so I'm really looking forward to it. That's the first time you hear that from me...

Finland started well, decently clean runs on SS1 & SS2.
Then on SS3 I got a spin due to lacking concentration. Felt like I could push slightly and reclaim that time.

But I was oh so wrong....

SS4 went good until I touched a side wall slightly and spun. Eager to push hard to make up for that mistake, I understeered straight into a stone and lost my right front wheel...

SS5 was even worse. Won't go into details.

On SS6 I had all the warning lights on, and hardly any suspension. One compression took my poor BMW and threw it into a squirrels nest, and I had to retire since the squirrels stole both my front wheels.
I have almost no saved setups for my Renault, but I had a lot of fun in Finland. A few close calls but kept it clean for the most part. @Dytut, I knew you were having problems when I started closing in on your times. Sorry man, but if it makes you feel any better, my run in Wales coming up will probably go much like Finland for you... :-)

A decent first stage, then things started to go downhill. Spins and crashes in SS2 and SS3, then a blown tire in SS4. Had to repair, since it was early into the stage. More crashes followed, the car looked lamentable and began to make funny popping sounds. Somehow I brought it to the end, while the codriver was already counting us out.

Bad bad driving. Nothing else to say.

Well, that was disappointing... After a cautious start, I managed to pick up the pace and was leading after SS4. Then at the end of that stage (or SS5, not sure) I got the "problem downloading leaderboard data" error and was unable to continue.
After 5 mins I gave up, hit Alt+F4 and restarted the rally. That didn't feel right and my concentration kept slipping so I decided to retire midway through SS2 out of sheer frustration. Bring on the next one...
baunau said:
Well, that was disappointing... After a cautious start, I managed to pick up the pace and was leading after SS4. Then at the end of that stage (or SS5, not sure) I got the "problem downloading leaderboard data" error and was unable to continue.
After 5 mins I gave up, hit Alt+F4 and restarted the rally. That didn't feel right and my concentration kept slipping so I decided to retire midway through SS2 out of sheer frustration. Bring on the next one...

The same happened to me in Ryus league and I ran out of time to retry. Very very frustrating. All the more if you're leading, of course.

In other news, my awful run in Finland netted me second place and 18 points... That feels very strange, I have to admit.

You can get past the "problem downloading.." loop by pushing OK and the push the same button again rather quick afterwards. Takes quite a few tries, but I've gotten past it every time it's happened so far.
Dytut said:
You can get past the "problem downloading.." loop by pushing OK and the push the same button again rather quick afterwards. Takes quite a few tries, but I've gotten past it every time it's happened so far.
This has worked for me recently too. I also check the standings whenever I have the option to, since this seems to force an update to Racenet as well.
Dytut said:
This has worked for me recently too. I also check the standings whenever I have the option to, since this seems to force an update to Racenet as well.
That's what I did (you can actually see the "continue" prompt for a brief moment), so much so that it brought back memories of playing Int. Track and Field at the arcade back in the day.  ;)
I actually got the error again after SS1 in Germany but this time your trick worked and I was able to continue.

So, Germany... Not much to say, really. A rather uneventful rally where I managed to keep a steady pace except SS3 and SS4 where I spun out a few times. It's not that I dislike this rally, it definitely has a place in this game, it just gets a bit boring (bland) after a couple of stages. Wales, however, I'm really looking forward to!
I was a bit reluctant going into this season, but I'm really starting to enjoy the RWDs. :)
Not really happy with my setup on tarmac. Still too much understeer and the brakes on the R5 seem to be quite weak. Had a few overshoots and in the last two stages my concentration failed me. I initially thought third place was lost to @roustabout, so the result was a pleasant surprise.
Germany was quite uneventful for me aswell. The M3 is quite at home there.
Took a lot of time from @baunau on SS3, kept pace for the other parts. After SS5 I got the leaderboard bug which took me 5 minutes to get out of, so had lost focus on SS6. Managed to misjudge the speed and went off and lost all my headlights on section 3, so did my best to keep pace after that. Had a few seconds left in the lead afterwards, so just drove it home on SS7. Currntly leading by 9 seconds in front of baunau, so quite happy with the results even though my  driving wasn't perfect.
Hi everyone! I just almost had a whack at Germany but...

I've been gone from this championship for every rally in fact, so I decided to give Germany a try, since I actually like the Sierra and like Germany. However, on my second shakedown run, many poos came out of my anii; my PC went straight to a Gray Screen of Death after shifting into third right off the starting line and the audio crashed, making that scary grainy noise.I doubt its my PSU thats causing the problem, since I got it back in December, and it's a nice and generous Thermaltake, with enough wattage and some to spare for my R9 270X. Could anyone help out?

(Right before the GSOD, the PC's fans began to run really, really loud, but I'm 99% certain they were the loud processor fans. The processor, a Core 2 Quad from 2009, usually runs at around 80-85 C, and my GPU stays at around 60-70 on extreme load).
With Wales out of the way, that's it for me for this season! Quite pleased with this last rally, although I think I may have held back a little while focusing on staying clear of all the trees. Struggled with my concentration on SS2 and SS3 which led to a lot of stupid, minor mistakes. Caught a lucky break on SS3 when I hit a dirt wall and did a barrel-roll, but managed to keep driving without losing too much time. The rest of the rally was mostly clean and I'm curious to see how my times compare to yours.
I've had a lot of fun driving the Sierra this season and I can see myself spending even more time with the RWDs from now on.
Good luck with Wales, gentlemen! :)

Wales was a mixed bag for me. The first three stages were decent, maybe too cautious because I didn't really trust the Renault. In SS4 I pushed a bit more, got stuck in a gate - harmless but losing lots of time - and then crashed really bad and had to reset. SS5 + 6 were just a matter of getting the badly damaged car through, SS 7 was good again, apart from a roll in slowmo. Setup felt better than on tarmac.

As much as I like it, the R5 Turbo is not the most pleasant car to drive. Or maybe I just never hit the sweet spot with my setups. Let's see what the next season holds for us. And I would really like to see a few more participants. I mean, 2nd place in Finland with 5 minutes on first place? That feels wrong.

Had to get Wales done tonight, and so I did. Quite unfocused and drove badly, not at all happy. Spins and offs on almost every stage.

I hope I'll be back in full force next season, feels like this one just went badly from the start.

Congratulations to @roustabout, @baunau and @Dytut for finishing on the podium. I missed out by only one point, but based on speed I shouldn't even be so close.

So, are we getting a new season? @SkyRex has been absent for a while now. You still here, mate?

YoMrWhite said:

Congratulations to @roustabout, @baunau and @Dytut for finishing on the podium. I missed out by only one point, but based on speed I shouldn't even be so close.

So, are we getting a new season? @SkyRex has been absent for a while now. You still here, mate?

Hey, yeah I'm a little busy currently but I will setup the next season soon. Which car class does roustabout want? 
Anybody intersted in being co-admin for the league ? So we would have more than one around for setting up the leagues? By now, nothing new changes, as I think we all agree that the current way of setting up the events/services etc. is pretty good.
Sorry for the late reply guys, been busy myself lately...

First off, I had a lot of fun racing with you guys this season, a nice back-and-forth with nobody running away with it.  :-)

RWD was a nice change from the AWD that I'd usually pick.  We could stick with the 2 wheels idea, just switch it to FWD.  I'd have to look over the specs for the Kit cars and some of the RWD and see if they'd match in HP/ton, maybe we could have RWD against FWD?

Group A or early 2000's versus Kit cars might work and would not be completely wrong historically (Group A around 1994/95, Kit cars around 1998, Focus and Impreza around 2001).

The Group B RWD cars might be able to challenge the kit cars, but it seems like an odd combination to me.

• 1 month later...
So, first of all I'm really sorry for the long absent time (some university exams needed attention)

I just setup a new DRC Season staring in ca. 3 hours together with a new DRC-Legendary staring at the same time. 
Class is 2010s

Additionally I promoted Arete, baunau and YoMrWhite to the rank of Manager in the DRC. You were the most active posters recently and you got the idea I was pushing at with this league. So if there comes another time where I might be temporarily unavailible, you three can feel free to go into the settings and setup the following season for everyone.

Cheers
SkyRex said:
So, first of all I'm really sorry for the long absent time (some university exams needed attention)

I just setup a new DRC Season staring in ca. 3 hours together with a new DRC-Legendary staring at the same time. 
Class is 2010s

Additionally I promoted Arete, baunau and YoMrWhite to the rank of Manager in the DRC. You were the most active posters recently and you got the idea I was pushing at with this league. So if there comes another time where I might be temporarily unavailible, you three can feel free to go into the settings and setup the following season for everyone.

Cheers
Great news. Nearly missed the post, though. And being promoted to manager without even applying feels quite cool...
Alrighty! Since I always go for my comfort zone in the Fiesta, I decided to spice things up and finally get to grips with the Polo for this season!

Feels like I could set a decent pace in Monte, and I managed to get some flow in there for once. Still, had two spins and a lot of small mistakes, so we'll see how the times stack up. Ladies and gentlemen, the show is on the road :-)