Jump to content Jump to content

DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club

I buckled on that last stage though. Had just gotten the lead in SS6, and tried to be so careful about making mistakes on the sprint SS7 that I made more mistakes instead, and didn't have the tempo to make up for them. I know from earlier that I usually do best if I do my run first of everybody just for this reason. Still, was a good lesson in trying to perform under pressure :-)
Since I'm awake and waiting my turn at the bathroom... here are the final results from Sweden:

Pos.  NameVehicleTimeDiff 1st
1 FounderbaunauMINI Countryman Rally Edition40:42.666--
2 FounderAreteVolkswagen Polo Rally40:43.483+00:00.817
3 Founder?.Volkswagen Polo Rally41:57.347+01:14.681
4 Founderthat_guyMINI Countryman Rally Edition42:46.461+02:03.795
5 FounderDaryl WillcoxFord Fiesta RS Rally43:05.060+02:22.394
6 FoundernationalwheelFord Fiesta RS Rally43:39.408+02:56.742
7 FounderSkyRexVolkswagen Polo Rally43:47.008+03:04.342
8 FounderOxidorFord Fiesta RS Rally45:36.054+04:53.388
9 FounderBlinkVolkswagen Polo Rally45:40.870+04:58.204
10schabrackesFord Fiesta RS Rally46:19.085+05:36.419

Baunau and me had a fairly even battle for first place, from which baunau emerged the victor. .? / Superdorfer was left behind of the first place battle fairly early, but could take 3rd with a good 45s margin. that_guy and Daryl Willcox had a good fight about 4th and 5th, where that_guy came out on top. nationalwheel snatched 6th in front of SkyRex who was not having a good rally day. Oxidor, Blink and newcomer schabrackes closes out the scoring positions.

This leaves us with the league scoreboard as follows:

1?.40
2baunau37
3Arete33
4SkyRex24
5that_guy22
6Daryl Willcox18
7nationalwheel14
8Oxidor8
9Blink4
10schabrackes1

Still quite open, this season will be interesting :-) Onward to greece, the car wrecker!
Greece done without retiring! :-D

Feels like I had decent pace, but not quite comfortable with the Polo. Had one off on SS1 where I went through some trees, but managed to get back on track so maybe just 15s lost total since I broke half my headlights. Had a small incident on SS6 where I overshot a hairpin and lost 3-4 seconds aswell. Other than that I drove carefully. We'll see how the times stack up, but I'm hopeful of a podium finish.
Dytut said:
Greece the car wrecker is indeed wrecking cars this time around. Just checked the stage times, and it's pretty much one DNF on every stage.
Yup. I had two crashes with resets in SS1. Seeing the time I realized I could have been quite fast, and decided to go on the attack in SS2. Of course, that was a very stupid decision. Some crashes, spins, resets and two punctures later I had to give up. Clearly the wrong mindset to succeed in Greece.
So frustrated and disappointed as my rally was cut short by a stupid little mistake on SS6. Slid out on a L3 (a particularly nasty one that I've always loathed) and hit some trees. "No big deal, I'll just climb back up", I thought before mis-shifting into neutral, causing the car to slowly roll backwards and hit the "unrecoverable damage" barrier.
Up until that point, I had a decent rally except for some stupid mistakes which cost me a few seconds (e.g. landed on _that_ rock on SS1) and a couple of lucky breaks, but still ahead by 33 seconds after SS5.
Not a happy camper right now... :(
Dytut said:
Now that just plainly sucks baunau :-/ Was it the usual "wheel was turned so used the wrong paddle"? Paddles that turn with the wheel really aren't suited to rally.
I have the T300RS where the paddles turn with the wheel, yes, but it's usually not a problem since I have the DoR restricted to 540 (hard-lock) and won't have to change my grip for a full lock. Last night's incident was just a case of me frantically downshifting, aiming for first but overshot and ended in neutral. No big deal, though, it's all part of the game. I'll just have to push a bit harder for the remainder of the season. ;-)
That being said, I really need to make the jump to proper h-pattern shifting as I've got the TH8A acting as a handbrake for the time being. Haven't been able to commit to manual shifting yet as I need the handbrake for those "oh no, No, NO!" moments.
Just wanted to drive Greece, but "an error occured with the account system" while signing into racenet... will try again later in the evening. Let's hope I can get a run in...

@baunau
I use the exact same setup, let me give you a suggestion: I use the right paddle to upshift, but the R2 button to downshift. I've laid the Handbrake onto the left paddle and can use the shifter for shifting that way. Needs a little practise but it works a lot better than having the handbrake on a button.
@SkyRex : Thanks for the tip, that setup sound a lot better than having the handbrake on e.g. R2. But, I've grown quite fond of the feeling of having a proper lever to pull for those acute turns (or panic mode engages) and the TH8A does this brilliantly.
That said, I recently bought a cheap analogue stick that I intend to convert into a properly positioned handbrake, just haven't had time to prioritize this yet (and probably won't for a while due to a baby that might pop out any day now). :)
Good luck with the baby baunau :-)

I'm looking at dismantling my old crappy logitech wheel and turn it into a clutch pedal (old throttle), an analogue handbrake (probably mod the brake pedal) and a proper stick sequential shifter (will use the attached one). At least that's the plan for when I get the time.
OMG, what a shabby but also lucky performance. SS1, SS5 & SS7 were the only stages wihout major errors, but still no nice lines. On SS2, SS3 & SS4 I had to climb back to the course once per stage - luckily without a reset. Almost did a rage quit there. And on SS6, I drove like a little baby since Baunau went off there and I still managed to spin badly. So overall, I lost around a minute or so. However, since I was really lucky to finish this rally I shut up for now. Others were less lucky in Greece..
Results from Greece:

1 Founder?.Volkswagen Polo Rally38:48.553--
2 FounderAreteVolkswagen Polo Rally39:25.769+00:37.216
3 FounderSkyRexVolkswagen Polo Rally39:50.269+01:01.716
4 Founderthat_guyMINI Countryman Rally Edition40:20.984+01:32.431
5 FounderoZFord Fiesta RS Rally43:17.931+04:29.378
6 FounderBlinkVolkswagen Polo Rally44:14.441+05:25.888

Most notable was the rate off attrition. Just 6 out of 14 entries made it to the finish line.

League top 10 standings:
RankNamePoints
1?.65
2Arete51
3SkyRex39
4baunau37
5that_guy34
6Daryl Willcox18
7nationalwheel14
8Blink12
9oZ10
10Oxidor8

?. pulls away a bit in the lead, 14 points ahead of me. SkyRex, baunau and that_guy poised to battle it out for the top spots. Daryl Willcox, nationalwheel, Blink and oZ still within striking range of the top positions.
You probably know that Finland is my worst location performance-wise, but honestly, this was the best rally I've ever driven in Finland! At the End my car actually still looked like a VW Polo and the only incident was a small 360-degree spin on stage 3. I was really cautious and the main goal was to keep the car together, I probably braked before every second jump... but it paid off, this marks the first complete Finland-event for me, where I haven't rolled my car once ! Yesss! :) 

(I don't think i'll keep the podium position with my time, but for me this was a success nevertheless :) ) 

Ouch. My last event in this season (holiday is due) was a rough ride. The first four stages were actually quite good, not without the odd spin or roll, but overall not so bad. Then SS5 ruined my rally. An early crash and puncture, followed by more crashes. The Fiesta looked and sounded lamentable for the rest of the event, as I had a few more spins and crashes in the last two stages.

I wish everyone happy rallying. I'll be back for the second or third event next season, I guess.

SS1 - Yeay, this actually feels controlle even though the Polo is a bit twitchy
SS2 - Well still decent pace, I'm starting to get the hang of this car i Finland!
SS3 - Damn, I can really push this car! I'm flying over the fast straight, parrying every small bump at the rev limiter on 6th gear, in an even *OH LOOK SQUIRREL LET'S GO THAT WAY*

Damn squirrels.
Dytut said:
SS1 - Yeay, this actually feels controlle even though the Polo is a bit twitchy
SS2 - Well still decent pace, I'm starting to get the hang of this car i Finland!
SS3 - Damn, I can really push this car! I'm flying over the fast straight, parrying every small bump at the rev limiter on 6th gear, in an even *OH LOOK SQUIRREL LET'S GO THAT WAY*

Damn squirrels.
Decent pace you had there! Very unlucky!
Nice, really happy with the Finnish forest. Picked the Mini. No super fast pace, but very consistent runs throughout all seven stages. Went 2 or 3 times off road, but never really bad. Didn't hit a tree, stones or a letter box :)
You have to use the same car for the whole season, see the rules. As you are new here, we'll let this slip by, but for Germany and Wales you will be back in your Polo, yes?
SkyRex said:
Nice, really happy with the Finnish forest. Picked the Mini. No super fast pace, but very consistent runs throughout all seven stages. Went 2 or 3 times off road, but never really bad. Didn't hit a tree, stones or a letter box :)
You have to use the same car for the whole season, see the rules. As you are new here, we'll let this slip by, but for Germany and Wales you will be back in your Polo, yes?
Sorry man, no offense. I did not see that. Just picked the Mini due to the fact that the option to choose any 2010 car is available. No problem if you want to DQ my finland result.
SkyRex said:
Sorry man, no offense. I did not see that. Just picked the Mini due to the fact that the option to choose any 2010 car is available. No problem if you want to DQ my finland result.
DQ seems a little harsh, but to make it fair for everybody, I gave you a 10 point penalty.
(You will probably win the season anyways if you drive same insane paces in the last two events
Hm, another DNF... :(

Didn't have a setup for the Mini in Finland so I decided to wing it and make on-track adjustments, e.g.:
- SS1: Car feels a bit sluggish, better make it lighter. Radiator weighs a lot, doesn't it? No tools onboard? No problem, I'll just use the trees to knock this sucker off. Oh, lost my front-right wheel in the process? Excellent, that's a few kilos saved there.
- SS2: Couldn't find the right trees to hit. Starting to overheat due to all the leaks, anyway. Less liquid = less weight = success!
- SS3: Got freaked out by seeing @Dytut 's car among the trees, decided to get back to the service area in one piece.
- SS4: Struggling with too much understeer so I carefully adjusted my speed, positioned the car just right and whipped the rear into a tree which took the right rear tire off. Finally, proper sideways action!
- SS5: My adjustments had finally paid off and I had a good, clean stage. My time was the exact same as @superdorfer 's, 06:22.368.
- SS6: Underestimated the amount of coolant that was left and couldn't get past sector 1 before the engine overheated.

Although this method of tuning clearly made the car lighter, and thus more competitive, it's far too risky to recommend.
Results from Finland:

1 Founder?.MINI Countryman Rally Edition43:20.393--
2 FounderSkyRexVolkswagen Polo Rally45:02.888+01:42.495
3 Founderthat_guyMINI Countryman Rally Edition46:55.952+03:35.559
4 FoundernationalwheelFord Fiesta RS Rally47:19.016+03:58.623
5 FounderDaryl WillcoxFord Fiesta RS Rally48:48.866+05:28.473
6 FounderBlinkVolkswagen Polo Rally52:20.726+09:00.333

As greece, a lot of wrecks on the way. ?. Took a dominating win, although race marshalls observed that his team had supplied him with the wrong car and he received a 10 point championship penalty.
SkyRex took a cautios approach that paid off handsomely in a 2nd place as me and baunau both wrecked our cars. That_guy and nationalwheel battled it out for 3rd, with that_guy coming out on top. Daryl Willcox takes fifth after some mishaps on SS5, and Blink heroically finishes sixth after managing 3 flat tires on one single stage.

This leaves us with the championship standings:
RankNamePoints
1?.80
2SkyRex57
3Arete51
4that_guy49
5baunau37
6Daryl Willcox28
7nationalwheel26
8Blink20
9oZ10
10Oxidor8

?. pulls away into a very good position for the final two rounds, where just finishing in a decent scoring position will probably earn the championship. Still not safe, as some bad results can allow the hunting tri of SkyRex, Arete and that_guy to threaten first place. Baunau, Daryl Willcox, nationalwheel and Blink are all still in the running for a top 3 placement in the league.