Jump to content Jump to content

DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club

So, went into germany with the simple aim of not crashing out in an embarrasing way again.

SS1 - Felt a bit slow, but steady. Was surprised that I took the lead. Then I saw by how much (+00:00.116! ) and over who (BAUNAU!), and I thought that this will be Sweden all over again.
I tried to focus on keeping it clean for the rest, and I ever so slowly extended my lead until I had 5 seconds after SS5.
SS6 was where it all turned bad. Found myself slightly off rhythm in the dark, and managed to oversteer a little bit on one of the fast sections and got a small spin. No damage but had to reverse back on track. Lost almost 8 seconds, so 2.5 behind baunau... Yup, this was going to be Sweden again..
SS7 - Decided to go as fast as I dared and hope for the best. Wasn't lightning fast, but I somehow managed to beat baunau by 5 seconds :-)

Good fight @baunau! :-D 
@Dytut: nice summary, I fired the sales & logistics guy therefore. He was English and didn't like German manufacturers =)

Well Germany, I really like this event. However, I am not really happy how it went. Never felt comfortable due a silly and stupid setup I tinkered together myself. Times were slow overall and top speed was only around 212kmh. Also, some major mistakes didn't help to feel confident in Germany. At least I didn't crash badly, once it almost happened on Frauenberg stage. We'll see if the lead will last..
Another delayed report from me as I only had time (barely) to do the rally this morning.
Once again I found myself without a setup for the Mini but managed to throw together something that was decent (not too far from default), although not enough to give me the confidence to really push the car. Also, since I failed to finish my last two rallies, the main focus of this one was to stay on the road and bring the car back home in one piece (usually not a problem in Germany).
I did manage to keep the car on the road with no serious mishaps, but kept missing the brake-points which had me way off the optimal race-line and subsequently late on the accelerator coming out of the turns. Although my first few stages gave me a decent lead over @roustabout, I noticed that he had picked up his pace quite a bit (or I had lost mine) about halfway through the rally. So much so that a single reset on my part might be enough to close our gap, which meant I had no room for mistakes. Thanks for making this one interesting, roustabout. :)
Fortunately, I made it to the finish in one piece, although not before I'd made my obligatory full stop blunder by hitting a rock-solid bush right before the end of SS7. So, @Dytut, _this_ would explain the five seconds gained/lost.  Happy to hear that I was able to provide you with some tense moments for this one, though. A good, clean fight tends to make things more fun and we've had a few in this league. :)
Results from Germany:
Pos.  NameVehicleTimeDiff 1st
1 Founder?.Volkswagen Polo Rally37:56.288--
2 Founderaxeflex23Ford Fiesta RS Rally38:20.622+00:24.334
3 FounderAreteVolkswagen Polo Rally38:43.188+00:46.900
4 FounderbaunauMINI Countryman Rally Edition38:46.154+00:49.866
5 FounderSkyRexVolkswagen Polo Rally38:53.071+00:56.783
6 Founderthat_guyMINI Countryman Rally Edition39:11.887+01:15.599
7 FounderXirivella-WRC ?MINI Countryman Rally Edition39:24.584+01:28.296
8 FoundernationalwheelFord Fiesta RS Rally40:59.632+03:03.344
9 FounderBlinkVolkswagen Polo Rally42:19.928+04:23.640
10schabrackesFord Fiesta RS Rally42:42.480+04:46.192
?. once again takes a comfortable victory, in front of axeflex23. Arete finishes third in front of baunau and SkyRex after a back and forth battle, with that_guy and league debutant Xirivella trailing a bit behind in 6th and 7th. nationalwheel, Blink and schabrackes rounds out the point positions.

League standings after Germany:
RankNamePoints
1?.105
2SkyRex67
3Arete66
4that_guy57
5baunau49
6nationalwheel30
7Daryl Willcox28
8Blink22
9axeflex2318
10oZ10

?. has secured the season win, congratulations! :-)
The battle for 2nd is still open, with SkyRex, Arete and that_guy in the running. Baunau still has a shot at third place if anything happens to that trio. 
Wales:
SS1: started off well.
SS2: was ok until the last open right before the forest, 20secs before the finish line. Went cliff diving there and could just climb back on the track in time.
SS3: spin just after the second red/white gate - on the straight lol.
SS4: rather clean, but careful pace.
SS5: said frontally hello to a tree in a easy bend, 20 secs before the finish line. Almost destroyed the car there, everything was "yellow" from there on.
SS6: spin after the S in sector two - on the straight, because I hit a paper sign lol.
SS7: ok, but the car was almost broken.

To sum up, I made a lot heavy mistakes at unusual spots, so there is much room for guys like Baunau or Arete to go for the win in Wales. Good luck!
Set off in default setup in the Polo since I felt it was kinda allright. I wanted to see if I could pick off @superdorfer, but my primary aim was to secure 2nd place by beating @SkyRex who was 1 point in front of me in the league. No easy task, but there it was.

SS1: Started off by touching the inside after the first water splash, pushing the car to the right and making the right side wall spin me around. Also managed to barrel roll near the end. Not happy about this stage to say the least...
SS2: was good, started to get comfortable in the Polo/wales combo.
SS3: A bit cautios perhaps, but still an OK stage
SS4: Same here, quite OK
SS5: A bit cautios here again. Had the lead by +00:00.035s before baunau and +00:01.718 in front of superdorfer . We three had traded places from SS2.
SS6: Felt like I was doing super good on this stage, really felt like I had superb pace. But on the hill just before the fast corners at the windmills I managed to just barely touch the log pile on the right, which spun me off track like a helicopter with a broken tail rotor. Luckily I landed without any real damage, and managed to get back on track just before timeout, but 20s lost at least. Took a bit to get on pace again, and turns out I had lost the stage by 6s to superdorfer. 
SS7: Almotst 5 seconds behind for the sprint SS7. Had SkyRex 50s behind me, so decided I would try the impossible and try to beat superdorfer by 5 seconds on a sprint stage. Tried my best, but overcharged too many corners and lost time instead, beaten by about 2s on the last stage.

Well it was an exciting drive against the both of you, so thanks for the fight @superdorfer and @baunau :-)
Wales for me was full of highs and (deep) lows, with six stages being good (and quite competitive) but ultimately all for nought due to a single, catastrophic stage...

- SS1: Semi-aggressive driving while getting used to the setup I'd just created for the Mini.
- SS2: Started to get comfortable with the car, managed to clean up and tighten my lines and got into a good rhythm.
- SS3: Kept up the pace with mostly clean lines. A few lucky breaks here and there, but nothing serious.
(had to save/quit and leave the house for an errand)
- SS4: Similar to SS1, i.e. had to get back into the flow again.
- SS5: Back in business! Good stage.
- SS6: My luck had run out, apparently. Think I had two resets in sector 1 and/or 2, then towards the end I went off the road and spent some time getting back on gravel, only to be rewarded with a flat tire.
- SS7: Pushed way too hard due to being frustrated and angry after the previous stage, but somehow managed to stay on the road and across the finish line in one piece.

This season has been a huge disappointment for me and I really wanted it to end on a high note with a podium finish in Wales, but sadly it was not to be. All is not bleak, though, as I did enjoy driving the Mini and at least I now have some (WIP) setups for it that I can build upon.
Lessons learned from this season are, 1) that I really have to work on my focus/concentration (I get distracted way too easy), and 2), that I need to tighten up my lines a bit more.

Thanks everyone (new and old) for this season, hope to see you all in the next one. :)

Okay, I did something very stupid. Although I don't know how...

I just looked at the results and wanted to see how you set up a season. Then the browser froze and the next thing I saw when I started it again was that a new season was up. No clue how that happened. Now I don't see how I can cancel it, partly because the f***ing notebook/browser freezes anytime I try to open the season.

Maybe I'm not really the manager type... Can someone help me out and delete the season? Please?

Since the league bugged out somehow I can just bring up the results I have commited to memory, so please correct me if I'm wrong in this. I'm pretty sure about the top 5 at least.

So, preliminary results from Wales:
1. ?.
2. Arete
3. SkyRex
4. that_guy
5. baunau
6. nationalwheel
7. Blink

So the final league results should be something like this:
RankNamePoints
1?.130
2Arete84
3SkyRex 82
4that_guy69
5baunau57
6nationalwheel36
7Daryl Willcox28
8Blink28
9axeflex2318
10oZ10

So big congratulations to ?. / @superdorfer for the league victory on your first outing! It's been a real challenge to try and keep up with you, but your times have been too good for me. Hope I can put in a higher gear next season and keep the pressure up on you :-)
I'm personally very pleased with my 2nd place in the league, especially considering my retirement in Finland. Big thanks from me to @SkyRex and @baunau, we had some real nice fights this season!

@superdorfer, since you're the league winner you also get the honor of choosing the car class for the next season. We have a cooldown on each chosen class of two rounds, so 2010s and 1980 RWD can not be chosen.

The current league will hopefully be cancelled by @SkyRex ASAP, so no need to drive that one.

Jup, this season was fun. I was lost in Sweden, had some nice fights on gravel with you guys and tarmac seems to remain my domain =) Zero car resets over 36 long stages probably helped to finish this season decently.

So thanks for the racing, the organisation, the result updates and all contributions to the forum @Dytut @baunau @SkyRex @YoMrWhite and all the others. Since I will probably skip the next season, I delegate the choice of car class to the vice champion @Dytut. Depending on your choice, I might visit you on Monte or so =) Good luck to all for the next season!!
In that case I will choose.....

Group B (RWD+AWD) 

All early group B cars, so all but Pug and S4. Gonna be awesome! :-D I've been trying to learn the 037, so a bit tempted to use that one even though it's quite a handful. But the Quattro is such a joy to drive, and I've never really given the RS200 a chance... Will be hard to decide :-)
New league is configured and online. Start on monday, good luck everybody.

I actually wanted to do proper power-stages (SS7)with bonus points for the first 3, but apparently the option to give bonus points seems to have dissappeared in the league management... can only give penalties :P  
SkyRex said:
New league is configured and online. Start on monday, good luck everybody.

I actually wanted to do proper power-stages (SS7)with bonus points for the first 3, but apparently the option to give bonus points seems to have dissappeared in the league management... can only give penalties :P  
Awh, power stages would be so cool. @Hatward, any chance that some racenet engineer could be persuaded to spend a coffee break changing this so we can give power stage points? ;-)
Dytut said:

Group B (RWD+AWD) 

All early group B cars, so all but Pug and S4. Gonna be awesome! :-D I've been trying to learn the 037, so a bit tempted to use that one even though it's quite a handful. But the Quattro is such a joy to drive, and I've never really given the RS200 a chance... Will be hard to decide :-)
Excellent choice! Just had a look at the list of cars available and they're all difficult to control in their own, quirky ways (Quattro and Manta being the most predictable, I think).
Just to make next season a bit more interesting, I'd like to issue a challenge to you @Dytut. How about we throw caution to the wind and both choose the 037, what do you say? This is a double-edged sword for me as I'm far from comfortable with that car, so this will probably end in tears (...again). :D
No pressure, though, regardless of your decision I predict this will be a fun and challenging season. Good luck everyone!

@superdorfer: Sorry to hear you won't be joining us for the upcoming season, hope to see you back in the future.
baunau said:
Dytut said:

Group B (RWD+AWD) 

Excellent choice! Just had a look at the list of cars available and they're all difficult to control in their own, quirky ways (Quattro and Manta being the most predictable, I think).
Just to make next season a bit more interesting, I'd like to issue a challenge to you @Dytut. How about we throw caution to the wind and both choose the 037, what do you say? This is a double-edged sword for me as I'm far from comfortable with that car, so this will probably end in tears (...again). :D
No pressure, though, regardless of your decision I predict this will be a fun and challenging season. Good luck everyone!

@superdorfer: Sorry to hear you won't be joining us for the upcoming season, hope to see you back in the future.
Done and done! *shake @baunaus hand*
The 037 it is! :-D I'm really far from being consistent with the 037, but I've been trying to figure out how to tame it. Now I'm looking forward to this season even more :-D
Think I'll be able to do Monte tonight. In the 037. Now the question is, survival mode or fast mode? I'm horrible at driving the 037 fast in Monte, always get caught out in a snap oversteer. But I'm usually way too slow to keep up in survival mode....
Just done Monte. Don't know if it was fast, I am the first one completing it. 

But it didn't felt fast, I had two spins and some lots of minor mistakes. But at least I got to the end, the last time I had a Group B Monte Rally I threw the quattro of a cliff. It always was underwhelming performances whenever Group B arrived, and I always chose the Audi. so I went a differtn path this time and finally gave the RS200 a chance. Still getting used to it and not yet feeling super comfortable (But it was the same in the quattro) 

Major thing I noticed was, that I seemed to have way to less Grip on the tarmac in general... really weird driving, required super early and often braking... still not sure if it is because of the weight of the RS200 and the poor 80's tires or if I have something wrong with my tarmac setup... 
I just finished Monte aswell, in the dreaded 037. Jebus, that car is a handful with soft lock and full rotation. 

I was waaaaaay off @SkyRex's times, think I was close on the one stage where I only had one small spin. All other stages were either big spins, or multiple small spins, or even multiple big spins. It's so bloody easy to push it just a little bit too hard, and suddenly it just snaps a bit in the completely wrong place. On the positive side, I did actually manage to finish ;-)

@baunau, Monte is yours. If you can finish.....  B)
Woo-hoo, I survived Monte in the 037!
Had to keep the car and myself on a tight leash for this one. Not sure what it is about this vehicle (or maybe I'm still not used to my new monitor/resolution/FOV), but at times it felt like I was going really slow which enticed me to push it just a bit too much, usually followed by the dreaded snap-oversteer. That being said, I quite enjoyed this rally and despite losing a lot of time on way too many spins, I was really happy with the end result.
@Dytut: I have to admit it feels a bit like I'm cheating, using 540 hard-lock, when I know you're driving this beast using soft-lock/full rotation. :o
baunau said:
...but at times it felt like I was going really slow which enticed me to push it just a bit too much, usually followed by the dreaded snap-oversteer. 
I think this is the biggest problem with the 037. It really exemplifies group B problem that you have so much power at your disposal that it feels like you're going slow all the time if you're not using it, but it you use it you get over the limit of what you can handle.