Jump to content Jump to content

DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club


SkyRex
 Share

Recommended Posts

Did my run through the US with the cossie. Didn't quite find my rhythm, so was a lot of sliding around not getting the power down. Mainly clean, but misheard a not in the dark on ss2 and got a reset from going into the emergency crew at a 1 right, and on SS6 I messed up royally. Slid out on a tricky 3 left, hit a rock and punctured 😕 Decided to change tyres ASAP. Then drove the rest like a mess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a pretty good run in Washington New England last night.  I had a scare on SS1 on one of the long 3R Junction turns, clipping my rear on a rock or tree, giving me a short spin, so nerves slowed me down a bit on SS2.  The rest of the stages went as well as I could hope for.  We'll see what the other speedsters have in store!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jebus, the Cossie in tight spaces really is a hard work. Felt like I had to throw it in like a madman in every turn, and doing scandinavian flicks with that big car in argentina meant... spins. Many spins. Did manage to kind of keep up with @baunau on the clean stages, but felt like real hard work. Did find some flow in SS2 somehow, then I lost the feeling on the next stage. Weird when that happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jebus indeed.  if you're spinning and still that fast I think I may as well sell up now.

For the first time with the sierra I felt I'd got a setup that was working ok.  I also had some off road time penalties but only a few.  If I could look at how I was driving and know what I was doing to be nearly a full 4 minutes down then rolling the sleeves up and getting on would seem more worthwhile.  

If you guys at the top are driving to the notes and not from memory, and aren't literally taking every cut on the stage then I just wish I knew what on earth I needed to do just to improve a little bit.  I know I'm slow and learning, but in a world where a few seconds is an eternity where do I find 3 minutes over 7 stages, especially when I can just about compete with the AI on 100%.

😆. Come on guys, tell me where the NOS button is!?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BluecatRally said:

If you guys at the top are driving to the notes and not from memory, and aren't literally taking every cut on the stage then I just wish I knew what on earth I needed to do just to improve a little bit.  I know I'm slow and learning, but in a world where a few seconds is an eternity where do I find 3 minutes over 7 stages, especially when I can just about compete with the AI on 100%.

Speaking for myself here.  I wouldn't say that I have the stages memorized, but after running them several times over the course of many months, I remember aspects of specific corners that have red flags in my memory.  There are portions of stages that I have memorized to be sure, but without stage notes I would be several minutes slower.

Red flags in my memory, corners that I have memorized are:

#1. Corners that have caused me to go off or crash more than once.  If I had a real codriver, I'd have these corners flagged as double or triple caution in our pace notes.
#2. Corners that look innocent at first glance and by pacenotes, but are actually terribly treacherous.  Think "Six right long, tightens 5", but the 5 is really a 3...
#3. Corners that seem dangerous or difficult at first glance, but aren't.  There are several 1's and 2's that really should be 3's or 4's.  I remember these so I can keep my speed through them.
#4. Big, safe cuts through tight corners.   There are several squares and 1's that have huge, safe cuts.  I try to remember these so I can save some time.

I'd say I only "memorize" about 10% of the corners through the stages, but I'm familiar with nearly all of them, just through repetition.

Edited by ApexAzimuth
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, BluecatRally said:

Jebus indeed.  if you're spinning and still that fast I think I may as well sell up now.

For the first time with the sierra I felt I'd got a setup that was working ok.  I also had some off road time penalties but only a few.  If I could look at how I was driving and know what I was doing to be nearly a full 4 minutes down then rolling the sleeves up and getting on would seem more worthwhile.  

If you guys at the top are driving to the notes and not from memory, and aren't literally taking every cut on the stage then I just wish I knew what on earth I needed to do just to improve a little bit.  I know I'm slow and learning, but in a world where a few seconds is an eternity where do I find 3 minutes over 7 stages, especially when I can just about compete with the AI on 100%.

😆. Come on guys, tell me where the NOS button is!?

Like @ApexAzimuth, I don't really have them memorized, but some red flag corners are remembered. I don't really cut much, haven't really learned any of the good places to do so. In Argentina I don't think there are any huge cuts, just some small ones that can earn you a scant few seconds per stage.

If you record some footage of your driving I'd be happy to give some comments on it 🙂 

There are some things to think about when trying to improve your speed.

Do you feel that you can push and hold speed on the straights? 
Do you get good speed out of the corners?
Do you often glide out into the middle of the corners?
Are you comfortable balancing the car with throttle and brake?

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, New England...Michigan...Washington...WHATEVER...was ok for me. Had several small mistakes and was not as fast I could have been, because I wasn't confident in the car at most times. And if you try to drive safe...you make more mistakes 😄

Argentina was much better, my run was quite good. Only did one bigger mistake in SS6 losing 4-5 seconds, rest was quite good. And a lot of fun I must say. These RWDs are much more fun to drive than I thought 😍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks @ApexAzimuthand @Dytut.  Good encouragement.  I’ll see about how I sort a video of my plodding through a stage and post it.

On 1/23/2020 at 6:17 PM, Dytut said:

Like @ApexAzimuth, I don't really have them memorized, but some red flag corners are remembered. I don't really cut much, haven't really learned any of the good places to do so. In Argentina I don't think there are any huge cuts, just some small ones that can earn you a scant few seconds per stage.

If you record some footage of your driving I'd be happy to give some comments on it 🙂 

There are some things to think about when trying to improve your speed.

Do you feel that you can push and hold speed on the straights? 
Do you get good speed out of the corners?
Do you often glide out into the middle of the corners?
Are you comfortable balancing the car with throttle and brake?

Well, where to start.  I think I will have shortcomings in all of those areas and more.  

My speed on the straights depends on the location and how well I’ve managed to tune out the bounce of the car without turning it in to a sofa.  I am however too cautious and often brake too early.  Haven’t quite nailed putting it on it’s nose, just at the right braking point and all the while controlled.

I think my cautious approach has come from taking the mentality of slower is quicker too far.  My exit speed usually depends on whether I’ve made a minor mistake on entry or not.  I’m not too shabby at hairpins but I am inconsistent in all corners.

Think gliding out in corners...  this is the biggy that jumped out at me.  I’ve been moaning about my inability to understand and create setups.  So I suffer a lot of understeer in AWD cars and drift out exactly as you describe.  I’ve been rewatching the DR1 tutorials on weight transfer and I know I need to put the weight on the outside front corner, but my cautious style comes in again and sometimes my corner entry isn’t fast enough for the braking to cause enough weight transfer to the front.  The lack of aggression is one thing, but then I don’t know how much understeer my setups are introducing.  The 95 Impreza, despite being my ultimate rally car in history is also my nemesis in this game cos it’s a lump to get the nose in and start the slide.

The last one, is probably the one I’ve just about got somewhere right.  If I have the correct speed in to the corner, then feathering the throttle and left foot braking is a pretty natural instinct now.  Not saying there is no room for improvement, but since I got the brake feeling a bit better I’ve dramatically improved.  It seems odd, but I simply cannot right foot brake at all on DR.  Muscle memory is just broken, but then I tried braking left foot in the road car and nearly ripped my face off.  Bizarre how the brain works for muscle memory.  Same task, same controls, different environment and the result is a learner driver who’s never touched a brake pedal in their lives.  😏

So I thank you again for giving me something to think about.  The reassurances that you guys aren’t doing anything super human will give me the push to try harder.

P.s.  Fingers crossed for Ott Tanak that the media releases so far aren’t playing down the issue.  The guy looked pretty rough on the tarmac at the side of that bent Hyundai.  Hopefully nothing more than badly winded!  🤞🏻

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It really wasn't easy keeping up with you in Argentina, @UnderclassGDfan!  I had a couple warm-up mistakes in SS1 and SS2.  Nerves got to me a bit when I saw how much I'd have to push to keep up with both @UnderclassGDfan and @Janneman60.  Very quick runs, gents.

I felt like I was on the bleeding edge of my limits here.  Historically, Argentina is where I get a retirement, so being on my limits was particularly scary.  Thankfully I kept the rubber side down and managed to keep a fast and consistent pace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Decided to run this event waiting for the Monte coverage to began for the day. That Tanak wreck was a nasty one. This was a fairly easy going ride we did have one spin that cost some time and after stage 1 I had a crash to desktop send error report. Not fun🤔 Anyway was a little suprised with the gaps I didnt think the renault would be the best here with the turbo lag. Take cae guys enoy Monte!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ApexAzimuth said:

It really wasn't easy keeping up with you in Argentina, @UnderclassGDfan!  I had a couple warm-up mistakes in SS1 and SS2.  Nerves got to me a bit when I saw how much I'd have to push to keep up with both @UnderclassGDfan and @Janneman60.  Very quick runs, gents.

😃

I'm way ahead of my goal to reach this season, so I'm happy, but I fear Poland Rally a bit, crazy fast and one mistake can be a DNF.

EDIT: @PJTierney Could you delete the spam-post above me?

Edited by UnderclassGDfan
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ragged run through Poland! I've never quite felt comfortable there, as the road invites me to push hard and then always throws me off into the barriers 😛

Had a spin and a small off on SS1, the rest were decently clean stages. Massive loss of confidence on the night stage SS4, I was waaaaay too cautious there. 

No way near @UnderclassGDfan, but at least managed to beat Yabby who's also in a Sierra and has always managed to get ahead of me in the start of the season 🙂 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finished Poland, and I definitely can't complain about my results.  I had decent confidence and didn't have any drama until stage 6 though I think I could have gone alot faster if Poland didn't scare the heck out of me.  I got a bit tail happy on SS6 and nearly had an intimate encounter with a tree at 200kph.  After that near-retirement, my confidence dropped and I made a few more mistakes.  SS7 wasn't as fast as I would have liked after still being a bit shaken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First 3 stages I had setup problems wirh my R5, after every jump rhe back was very twisty so a lot of steering needed and most of the times I had to go off throttle.

After ss3 I changed the setup and then it was much better. Did a very good ss5 and ss6. On the last stage I got stuck in the chicane😀 but it was not a bad rally.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My run was quite good, except SS3 were...I don't know...after a jump I lost the back pretty hard, I thought something was damaged or I got a puncture, so I slowed down a bit. Did some more mistakes, but in the end, nothing was really damaged. Watched the replay, but couldn't find the reason. Maybe the suspension was too soft or something.

Rest was ok, but I felt always I could be a bit faster. Well, my choosen rivals are all behind me, so I'm happy 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That abrasive and unstable gravel in Australia... 😨 I think this event has some of the most dangerous track degradation in the game, and to top that, I feel like the gravel here causes significantly more tyre wear.

I did a derpy slow motion topple after mounting a bank a little too sharply on SS5, then really struggled to tame my car on SS6.   It felt so slippery that I ended up loosening up my anti-roll and diff a bit because the E30 was snap-oversteering like crazy.   In the 2nd service I opted for mediums for the first time in this championship because I felt like I was going to kill myself on SS6 with how bad the tyres were acting and how ugly the track degradation is.  I can't tell if that was a mistake or not because I didn't feel quite as fast overall, but I also didn't have any terrors. 🤷‍♂️  We'll see how it plays out in the end!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Aidan1996 Welcome! 🙂

 

Australia was a small disaster. Well...I thought it was until I looked at the final results and I didn't seem to be the only one with problems there.

SS1 was very good until late in the stage were I touched a bush or a pole (can't remember) slightly on the inside of a corner, that spun me to 90° and down the cliff on to a tree. I was quite slow, so no big damage, but I had to reset and got 8 seconds penalty. But I managed to cut that down to a little under 6 seconds on the finish to the current leader (not Apex 😄 ).

SS2 was full of mistakes, SS3 was much better until I got a puncture in the 2nd to last sector. I managed to reach the finish on 3 wheels without losing too much time. SS4 was by far the best stage for me in the rally and I thought after the stage I can still beat Yabby. But despite being quite good in SS5, I couldn't beat Yabby there. So I pushed even harder in SS6, but that was too much and I crashed heavily. Another puncture pretty early and that was it. SS7 was good, but obviously nothing to win here anymore.

I was quite surprised I am still ahead of some of my rivals. Must been a bad rally for most of us 😄

Sadly Baunau did not even compete, I hope he is back in the next rallies.

The big three (Snoopy, exerfit and jnco) seem to be pretty busy lately, too 😞 Well, more points for me!

Edited by UnderclassGDfan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Decent, but not good run through Finland. Had an outright spin on stage one simply due to not being used to the setup, after that it went OK until SS4, where my Rift S suddenly lost tracking and threw my view around on the outside of the car. Pure luck that it stopped without smashing a tree, had to reset cause I didn't even know which way the car was pointing. Took a bit to regain confidence after that, so lost a tone of time. My times will get smashed, but felt OK for being me in an RWD 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not my best run in Finland but not my worst at all.  I had a lapse of focus on SS3 and had a lift-off oversteer while I was countersteering over a left hand crest, which spun me to the right and face first into a tree; fortunately at very low speed.   That took out my lights and wrecked my radiator but I managed to only lose about 10 seconds or so.   I was much more awake for the SS4 night stage, which ended up being probably my fastest stage.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finland was by far the worst performance from me yet.

SS1 was good, SS2 too, until I misjudged the square left in the open area...I decided to brake AFTER the jump, wich was the wrong decision. I was way too fast and couldn't brake before reaching the corner, so I moved the car a bit left in the woods to avoid the people, the car and trees. So no damage, but a time penalty...59 SECONDS!!! 59!!! I was so annoyed I was close to rage quitting 😅

After that I lost a bit the focus and did a few mistakes here and there. SS3 was a mess. Mistake over mistake. Even a roll on the roof like a turtle including 8 seconds penalty happened. SS4 was better, got my focus back, but the car was still not in perfect condition and my confidence wasn't high. SS5 was a disaster including a puncture with no spare. So I had to finish SS5 and the whole SS6 with 3 wheels. Puncture was on the front right, so it was doable.

SS7 was without drama, but the car was quite heavily damaged. I thought Yabby would destroy my time and kick me from 3rd place on the championship standings, but he didn't compete for the first time in that championship. On the one hand lucky for me, on the other hand somehow meh. It's still a close battle!

 

Did New Zealand already. SS1 was good, no real problems. SS2 was pretty good, too, but I misjudged a corner and hit a fence quite hard...lost the two lights on the right side and the additional light completely. So my view was pretty bad. Close to the end Phil said "Is the engine ok?" and I thought..."ooooaaarggghhh"...the engine started to make bad noises you don't wanna hear with another one long stage to go, but I managed SS3 without much problems. Probably a bit slow, but yeah...

SS4 to SS7 were without big problems, some mistakes here and there, but nothing serious.

 

Greece will be a nightmare for me. It's probably my worst rally location and so far I didn't managed a single run without crashes I believe 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2020 at 10:35 AM, ApexAzimuth said:

New Zealand was quite a battle with @UnderclassGDfan!  I managed to stay only a handful of seconds ahead in every stage and I was really pushing hard.  I didn't have any close calls fortunately, but I really don't think I can get much faster than that.  Great race, @UnderclassGDfan!  You really made me work for it!

😄

That's the plan, pushing everyone to the limit!

8 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

This time I had a good setup for the little Renault 5 from the beginning.

First 3 stages were really good. Then I took a lunchbrake and somehow after it I was not on the same pace anymore. Not that bad but the magic was gone.

Well, SS6 was your best stage I think. No chance for me beating you there.

SS1 to SS5 were very good for me, no real issues. Some "almost mistakes", but veeeery good for me in the end, looking at my history with greece, lol. After SS4 I was down to 2.7 seconds to @Janneman60, only losing 0.5 seconds in SS5. But in SS6 I was just not fast enough in the first 3/4 (lost 9 seconds in the first 6 sectors, all red) and the last 2 I additionally did some small mistakes that costed quite much time. In the end lost 15 seconds in SS6 alone. Had a really good SS7 and cut it down to a little over 10 seconds overall, wich is damn good for me I think. Really happy 😄

Next rally will be interesting to see if I can compete on pure asphalt, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greece was... eventful.   I was doing pretty well from SS1-SS4, really close to @Janneman60.  Then on SS5 my mind wandered and I went off.  Managed to avoid anything hard, but got auto-reset pretty quickly and took a penalty.  I pushed like a crazy person for the rest of the stage so I made up for most of it but still struggled to keep up.  I think I was still a few seconds behind after SS6 but I managed to keep the car on the wet road with a decent pace on SS7 and made up time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first 3 stages of Germany went okey, the next 3 gave some trubbles with braking of the wet or (ss4) braking with wet tyres. Last stage had some stuttering, later I noticed an update of windows was the cause.

It was not bad but probably not fast enough, now I have to rely on mistakes from others 😢

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Janneman60 said:

The first 3 stages of Germany went okey, the next 3 gave some trubbles with braking of the wet or (ss4) braking with wet tyres. Last stage had some stuttering, later I noticed an update of windows was the cause.

It was not bad but probably not fast enough, now I have to rely on mistakes from others 😢

I'm horrible on Tarmac typically, so you probably won't have to worry about me here 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On SS1 I was only 0.1 seconds slower than @Janneman60, with some small mistakes in the beginning. I misjudged the very first corner-section with the bump on SS2, so I hit the tree on the outside with the left rear a bit and spun. Lost around 7 seconds, but the car wasn't really damaged. So I pushed hard, but did several mistakes doing so. In the end lost nearly 11 seconds.

In SS3 I still tried to push to come closer, but later in the stage I came wide in a 3 left on a crest and hit a stone on the outside quite hard. Car had a puncture on the front right and was pretty hard damaged. I made it to the end without having a spare, but lost over 38 seconds...

I repaired as much as I could, put wet tires on and started SS4...

Quite early on the stage, a very long - almost - straight I was just way too fast and lost the car coming closer to the square left. I hit the tree or big bush or whatever on the left side really hard with the left side of the car and thats it. Another puncture and a almost totaled car. It wasn't terminal damage, but I doubt I could have finished almost 3 longs with it, so I gave up.

Really frustrated right now. I didn't expected to beat @Janneman60 in the championship anymore at this point, even before the rally, but I will lose much of my points lead to Yabby and @Dytut being only 17 and 20 points.

I still don't get, why there is often a big difference in points you get for the same position in different rallies, probably a mix of position and competitors behind you? Or distance driven? Or gaps in time between competitors? I don't know. I just hope, 17 points are enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really didn't expect to come out ahead in Germany, as it's my 2nd weakest rally, only just a little better than the Monte for me.  Given that I usually misjudge corners after those straights, and that I'm generally embarassingly slow in Germany, I opted for a safe and conservative strategy, just hoping to finish cleanly and I'd have been happy with 4th.  I know I wasn't particularly fast because my driving is clumsy on the panzerplatte; usually braking way too much and too early, because of my fear of braking too late and ending my rally (this has happened too often..)  In the end though, the only mistake I had was a half spin on a hairpin in SS4 which probably only cost me a second or two.

I think my safety-over-speed strategy just happened to pay off here due to the misfortune of everyone else. 😞  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

On SS1 I was only 0.1 seconds slower than @Janneman60, with some small mistakes in the beginning. I misjudged the very first corner-section with the bump on SS2, so I hit the tree on the outside with the left rear a bit and spun. Lost around 7 seconds, but the car wasn't really damaged. So I pushed hard, but did several mistakes doing so. In the end lost nearly 11 seconds.

In SS3 I still tried to push to come closer, but later in the stage I came wide in a 3 left on a crest and hit a stone on the outside quite hard. Car had a puncture on the front right and was pretty hard damaged. I made it to the end without having a spare, but lost over 38 seconds...

I repaired as much as I could, put wet tires on and started SS4...

Quite early on the stage, a very long - almost - straight I was just way too fast and lost the car coming closer to the square left. I hit the tree or big bush or whatever on the left side really hard with the left side of the car and thats it. Another puncture and a almost totaled car. It wasn't terminal damage, but I doubt I could have finished almost 3 longs with it, so I gave up.

Really frustrated right now. I didn't expected to beat @Janneman60 in the championship anymore at this point, even before the rally, but I will lose much of my points lead to Yabby and @Dytut being only 17 and 20 points.

I still don't get, why there is often a big difference in points you get for the same position in different rallies, probably a mix of position and competitors behind you? Or distance driven? Or gaps in time between competitors? I don't know. I just hope, 17 points are enough.

I wouldn't worry much about us, you're usually way ahead 🙂 Hard to compete with the Cossie. 

As for points, I think it's pretty much down to the number of participants in an event. If it's 49 participants, 1st gets 50 points (49+1), then it gets progressively less. So more people in the event means more points to take.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You all shouldn't have any trouble overtaking me in Spain.  My run just emphasized how bad I am at tarmac rallying. 😂

Aside from what felt like sluggish and clumsy driving, I had 3 spins and 2 crashes which I was lucky to get away from. Tarmac in DR2.0 just doesn't click with me at all, and it's especially worse with fresh, soft tyres.  I have the hardest time estimating my grip because I can't feel when I'm losing it.  I do better on tarmac on worn tyres or in the rain because at least then I can feel where the limits are.  But the acceleration and braking grip you gain from soft tyres is too good for me to just go with mediums.  Even though I drive more smoothly on tyres with less grip, and I'm less likely to crash, I'm still slower than someone that's on softs regardless.  (Softs are OP af)

Edited by ApexAzimuth
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2020 at 6:52 AM, ApexAzimuth said:

You all shouldn't have any trouble overtaking me in Spain.  My run just emphasized how bad I am at tarmac rallying. 😂

Your downplay is so cute 😘

First Wales: I was still sick (my temperature was still higher than normal), but only a few hours to go I thought I try it. My target was to not lose too many points to my rivals. I had no problem with concentrating on the road, did only a spin in SS2 and one in SS3. I was surprisingly fast, though sometimes I had some strange feeling like I was on a carussel. Sometimes it was a bit like slow motion. Well, I beat @Janneman60, so it must have been quite good. But the 5 Turbo seems to be not so good on bumpy roads in comparison to the M3.

Now Spain: I feel much better today, so no excuses here. Unfortunately I did too many small mistakes to beat @ApexAzimuth. It was definitely possible, but I didn't found my rythm most of the time and came off the track 2 times and hit the wall 2 times. Nothing serious, but costed too much time in the end.

 

Sooooo, wich car class next? Hopefully not R5's again 😅
I assume we want to finish the next championship around the time the McRae Pack comes out and will start then a championship in the class the Impreza is in. But I'm not sure if it will be in Group A or 2000cc. So probably not those 2 classes next? And probably not RWD again? Just brainstorming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

Your downplay is so cute 😘

Apparently my Spain run wasn't as bad as it felt.  In hindsight that makes my post look arrogant. :classic_blush:  I suppose that's a risk when I drive before anyone else.

2 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

Sooooo, wich car class next? Hopefully not R5's again 😅
I assume we want to finish the next championship around the time the McRae Pack comes out and will start then a championship in the class the Impreza is in. But I'm not sure if it will be in Group A or 2000cc. So probably not those 2 classes next? And probably not RWD again? Just brainstorming.

Regardless of whether the next championship starts before or after Flatout comes out, I won't pick R5 or Group B (4WD) since it feels like every other club does both those classes only.   I'm considering maybe RallyGT, Group B (RWD), or 2000cc.  🤷‍♂️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, in fact my rally was over halfway ss1. A really big crash heavily damaged the car. I limped the wreck through stage 2 and 3 before I could repair most of the damage. Next 4 stages were not bad (even won one) but there was not much motivation left. Atleast I finished.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...