Jump to content Jump to content

DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club

SkyRex

I like the Argentina selection. The wet stages have to be driven very carefully. This time I dialed in the brightness also for the night stages to see a little more than in Scotland where I couldn't see anything and lost 2 minutes in the night stage.

Edited by PolarClaw

After 2 sectors I started to have trouble. Not with the car or the game but my left arm started to hurt. I know why as I am vaccinated for covid yesterday. I didn't notice anything untill driving dr2 but apperantly the movements I make with the wheel triggered my arm to hurt.

The first 3 stages it was doable with even winning ss3. But after that it got worse, so I had to take turns with my right hand at the wheel. That ment no handbraking and I lost about 20 seconds each stage. O well, another good story with my teammates and still I finished 3th 😀

Decided to do a last moment setup change. That was a big mistake as now the car was to much oversteered. Lost some time in ss1 and then in ss2 crashed in the very last corner and ended on the roof. Could see the finish which looked only half a meter away.

Thought everything was lost but carried on. After ss3 I could change the setup and from there on it was a pleasure to drive.

First for now but I guess @denim398 has to finish yet.

Other news, I for sure miss the next 2, and probably the next 3, events due to holiday.

As Poland is one of my not-so-favourite rallies, I thought I might just try to be clean and capitalize on the misfortune of others. A sound strategy that worked nearly two minutes. Then I didn't listen to my codriver and turned the wrong way. 17 seconds (17?) plus the delay were gone and my concentration, too. Two big crashes and two punctures (the second one fortunately just shortly before the finish of SS3) followed. After SS3, the car was quite banged up, so I couldn't repair everything and had to back down a bit - which was the initial strategy, if you remember, only with a healthy car. Of course I still managed to insert another roll and had a few moments in the rest of the stages. Bad driving, really.

Edited by YoMrWhite

Like YoMrWhite I made a mistake at stage 3 and I couldn't repair everything . And I forgot to change tyres. I was going for start button when I noticed tyre symbol. Engine damage was huge, could not get past third gear. But i made it to the last service at stage 6.  I took 55 second penalty for repair engine and radiator. Better luck next time and a little bit more careful. I hope.

18 hours ago, Dunoon1956 said:

Left Club by mistake😟, so lost all my points up until Poland, ah it's only a game.

Happened to me, too. Fortunately before the start of the season, so it was just one trophy that was lost. It would be nice if you had to confirm your decision when leaving a club. Now it's just one mindless click and you're gone.

2 hours ago, YoMrWhite said:

Happened to me, too. Fortunately before the start of the season, so it was just one trophy that was lost. It would be nice if you had to confirm your decision when leaving a club. Now it's just one mindless click and you're gone.

Yes, I usually hate those 'Are you sure' buttons, but in this case it would be useful.

Just wanted to let you guys know I won the "who had the worst run in poland rally this time"-award.

Started the rally knowing I wasn't in the "mood" of doing a good run, but I only had time at that point.
Did a shakedown, was ok, not fast, but ok. I'm in the Evo X I thought, I do a sunday drive and will still win with that overpowered machinery I thought.
Started.
Crashed on the first corner.
Cost some time, but no real damage.
Crashed on that bumpy part about 100 meters forward.
Smoking engine, puncture on the rear.
Did what I usually don't do: Rage quited.

😭🤪

• Like 1

Maybe I should just skip the Australian round of future championships. I always pledge to myself to be smooth and stay on the road and I always mess up. Big time. In SS3, after a few crashes, I left the road again. Already with a puncture and seriously damaged radiator and engine, I decided I had enough.

Hey, maybe we could just exclude Australia in the future! Brilliant idea, isn't it? Who's with me?

22 hours ago, YoMrWhite said:

Maybe I should just skip the Australian round of future championships. I always pledge to myself to be smooth and stay on the road and I always mess up. Big time. In SS3, after a few crashes, I left the road again. Already with a puncture and seriously damaged radiator and engine, I decided I had enough.

Hey, maybe we could just exclude Australia in the future! Brilliant idea, isn't it? Who's with me?

Yeah I am with you, I always have cooling and then engine issues in Australia, also some medium corners are deceptive in terms of speed and grip and when Phil says 'tightens' or raises his voice you better pay attention!

9 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

Well, just get 3th in the standings and it is you to choose which rally to drop 😇

This might be difficult. See the Australian results.😶

7 hours ago, Dunoon1956 said:

Yeah I am with you, I always have cooling and then engine issues in Australia, also some medium corners are deceptive in terms of speed and grip and when Phil says 'tightens' or raises his voice you better pay attention!

Good man! Let's spread the word! Or maybe one of us gets up to 3rd place. While we're at it, I'm not too fond of the USA rally...😉

Not a bad run in Finland. Had two punctures, one at the end of SS3 and a more costly one in SS4, apart from that I was able to keep it clean most of the way.

But why am I always losing so much time in the first sector? Sometimes up to 5 seconds! Is the Subaru really so much slower off the line? Or am I shifting too early? Too late? 😕

Edited by YoMrWhite

Hit a small tree on stage one and got radiator damage, managed to crawl through the next 2 stages, but after service the car was still too damaged to even move off the Start line ! so I retired.

Edited by Dunoon1956

On 6/23/2021 at 8:39 PM, Janneman60 said:

Rally Greece went quite well. A few small mistakes that's all. But a much to early drive to say if it is any good.

It obviously was. I had some fast - green - sectors, but a few too many mistakes, going off the road twice, rolling once with a reset (car stayed on the roof) and a crash in SS5, after which I chose to retire. Not very consistent.

Edited by YoMrWhite

After several embarrassing outings, I decided to try something different, using not the stock setup as usual but one of rallytechnicals. Success was quite limited, as I rolled the car in the first corner, something I can't remember having done before on this stage. A short time later, I left the road to greet some of my tree friends, the rest of the stage wasn't too bad, in fact going as fast as the leader. Hmmm... The second stage was a disaster, in the third I retired. I'll give it another try. Next season please...

• Haha 1

Managed to fit in a run round wales in the Subaru. Sweet handling thing but underpowered and heavy, don’t know how the fast guys get such speed out of it, but I prefer how it handles compared to the Mitsubishi. Wonder is it the lower centre of gravity of the engine that feels good about it?

Kept it safe till the last stage where I launched it onto its roof and had to reset. Still happy enough to drag a 5th place finish out of it with no practice.

For my part, I have a serious concentration issue these days. Started out fast in Spain, being ahead of @Janneman60in the first few sectors of SS1 and SS2 (don't know how I did that), then I started to lose time and began to make more and more mistakes, losing lots of time and retiring in SS2 after a mighty crash.

• 2 weeks later...

Heyho!

I tried 3 times to create a new championship over the last week.
A lot of wasted time putting effort into it.
Everytime I couldn't submit the championship, probably because you get automatically signed out after some time.
@PJTierney Please slap the guy, who is responsible for that, thanks.

Now I tried a 4th time and to save time and don't get logged out I only changed stages, degredation and service areas to our format.
And the 7th stage is always a night stage.
The rest of the stages have random choosen time of day/weather.

Car class: F2 Kit Car
Rally calendar: Rising Sun
Excluded rally: Sweden. Yes, I did it.
Safari rally: Finland

Starts in 30 mins, every rally goes a week long.

I'm still pretty sad I didn't won the last championship.
Had an overpowered car, @Janneman60 missed out on 2 rallies and still I messed it up somehow 😞 
Pace was alsways there, but I crashed hard several times.

Well, I don't expect much in the next one, because F2 Kit Cars is my least favourite class and I use them really rarely.
But I enjoyed them lately, so let's go!

FWD is not my strong suit, so I took the Peugeot, in order to be remotely competitive. Combine that with the USA, another one of my really weak suits, so to say, and we have a less than stellar performance. Understeer was so bad that I was convinced I forgot to take the soft tyres, but that wasn't the case. Just me, baby. Had one not so small crash, a puncture, at least two rolls and lots of other mistakes, but at least made it home.

Nice to see some new names in the standings. Welcome!

Edited by YoMrWhite

Nowhere first place but I managed to get to 2th place. But at ss6 I had a crash early in the stage and got a flat tire. At the end in 5th place so far.

Because of the worldwide chip problem it is very quite at work. So I could extend my september holiday. But now I'm going to mis 4 rounds...

Argentina was better than USA, still I experienced too much understeer for my liking and managed to go off three times, meaning nearly 40 seconds in penalty plus one blown tyre near the end of a stage. On to Scotland. Great place, but I suspect my limited track knowledge there will doom me if I try too much.

I bought myself a handbrake 😀 Not only I mounted it but decided to completely rebuild my rig. A new softer spring in the middle pedal so now I use the middle pedal for braking and the left one is the clutch again. The shifter I rebuild to h-shifter instead of sequential, and it is on another place to be more in line with the handbrake. Because of all that I can now use the flippers on the wheel for sequential shifting.

Confused? Yes that is exactly my problem! I get confused too sometimes and hit the clutch if I want to brake or use the shifter if I want the handbrake. In ss2 this caused me to have a severe crash and it ment a lot of small mistakes.

But in ss5 and 7 it went very good so there is hope. Second for now.

Two punctures - the first one in SS1 especially costly - and two rolls in Scotland. Apart from that I had fun and even some speed. Now I just have to cut down on my tyre-smashing habits. Easier said than done, I presume.

Edited by YoMrWhite

On 8/5/2021 at 12:23 PM, Janneman60 said:

As for the coming season, it looks like I will mis 3 rounds due to holiday (yes again on holiday 😃).

🥺
Two holiday trips in a year?
You must be rich! 😁

My summary so far:

USA:
Can't remember much, but wasn't exactly a clean run.
Only got 2nd because others had problems, too.
Misix is crazy fast, had no chance.

Argentina:
I was on fire! I somehow beat Denim on almost all stages.
Was one of my best runs ever in a F2 Kit Car.

Scotland:
We will see...didn't started yet, but I can foresee a crash happening 😅

Looks like I'm coming to grips with the Peugeot. It obviously helps that I know Wales better than the previous rallies. SS1 was good until the last sector, SS2 without significant mistakes, SS3 nearly brilliant. Nearly. I left the road early and found myself 12 seconds behind @Janneman60, but was able to reduce the deficit to 6,5 seconds at the end. Not bad. Maximum attack in SS4, resulting in a visit to the undergrowth and a reset. In SS5 I was on course for a stage win until I had another offroad experience, in SS6 and 7 I managed to stay on the road throughout. Oh, what could have been...

Wales was by far my best rally this season. First 3 stages were superb, then because I was tired, the speed dropped a bit but still fast.

Spain was differenr. Today was my last workday before holiday and I was a bit stressed when I started the rally. That showed, 2 resets in ss1 and a hard crash in ss3. With the feeling "all is lost anyway" the last 4 stages where the best in Spain I ever did.

Spain in a nutshell: 2 serious crashes, 3 resets (one a whopping 37 seconds), a few half spins, big problems in SS3 and SS6 due to the worn tyres.

I really should have just taken it easy instead of trying to push. But Spain seems so easy to drive at first, it's just tempting you to go flat out. For me, that's always a big mistake, at least here.

Edited by YoMrWhite

Scotland: Sooo, typical crash in Scotland happened, though still 3rd place.

Wales: Never had a chance. Pace was not good enough + some mistakes here and there, especially on the first stage.

Spain: Pace was good, Misix is way too fast for me, though. But was faster than all others, so quite good for me.

Start to really like the Kit Cars. Raced pretty often lately in one of them and I like that you have to really "work" to get the cars were you wanna have them.
Though the Golf is a bit lazy on the power side...
But at least it's the most predictable one from these 3.

• 2 weeks later...