Jump to content Jump to content

DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club


SkyRex
 Share

Recommended Posts

Now that was a nailbiter.

Felt a bit slow on SS1, but to my surprise I was 5 seconds in front of @SkyRex. SS2 felt good, and snatched 2 more seconds for my lead.
But on SS3, disaster struck. I was just slightly too fast on a tight lefthander, touched a rock on the right and spun. Luckily I was left on the track, so I could continue but was 10 seconds behind on the stage after that, and 2 seconds behind skyrex who had reclaimed the lead.
Luckily it was Tsiristra Thea as SS4, which is my favourite stage in Greece. A fun and clean run and took 12 seconds from SkyRex on it. Back in the lead by 10 seconds.
Only problem now was that I felt my concentration lacking....
SS5 was decent, but I was real close to a big moment when I had to almost stop to avoid a disaster on a fast section. End result; lost 5 seconds back to SkyRex.
SS6 went allright, no big mistakes but my lines weren't the best. Won the stage... by 0.2 seconds.

So before the SS7 sprint stage I had a 6.2 seconds lead. One mistake and I was done for....
Started the run, and I immediately felt out of rhythm. The first two sections were sloooooow, and I didn't dare push because I knew that one big mistake. Managed to get my act together for the last two sections which went allright. Finished... and I had lost 3 seconds. First place in the event so far, and by just 3 seconds. *phew*

Thanks for the fight @SkyRex, well driven! :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Delayed report from me as it was quite late when I completed the rally and I was too exhausted after having fought tooth and nail trying to keep up with @SkyRex (this was before @Dytut had raced).
  • SS1: set a good pace for myself, quite aggressive (by my standards) but ultimately a confidence-builder as I managed a clean run. Was really happy to see I was only 2.2 seconds behind the lead at this point (another confidence booster).
  • SS2: kept up the pace but messed up a tight L1 around sector 3 (I think) and parked my nose into the rock wall on the inside. Went from bad to worse as I mis-shifted when trying to get out of the mess. Must have lost a good 6-7 secs there... 6.1 behind the lead after this one, but remained positive.
  • SS3: can't remember the details, mostly uneventful I think. 12.8 secs behind at this point.
  • SS4: surely, @SkyRex must've messed it up badly on this one, as I won the stage by 10 secs, regaining most of what I had lost so far. 2.8 secs behind the lead (another, major confidence booster!).
  • SS5: oh, no! 7.4 secs behind the lead, this is going the wrong way... Starting to accept defeat.
  • SS6: 8.2 secs behind, didn't lose too much time, good stage. Defeat accepted. Couldn't complain, though, as I had a frightening "no, no, no, yes!" moment at the penultimate R3 where I clipped the inside which tipped the car onto two wheels, while heading towards the nasty rocks on the inside. The "yes" part of that moment came when I realized this two-wheel stunt actually helped me clear the rocks. Had to check the replay on this one as I couldn't believe my luck. Turns out my front-wheel actually touched the rock. I'm usually not this lucky...
  • SS7: kept pushing, although a bit more cautious due to the near-accident at the end of SS6. Ended my rally 11.2 secs behind the lead and could finally start to breathe again.
"No, no, no, yes!" moment on SS6 (couldn't get a better angle, unfortunately).



TL;DR: I really threw caution to the wind for this rally and pushed as hard as I could/dared and couldn't be more happy with my performance.

Thanks for the fight @SkyRex, I'm really looking forward to the next one! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Damn Arete , so close... that probably destroys my hopes for winning the season.

I just updated the OP with a slight change in choosable car classes. 


And by the way: Where is everybody? The old league had 50+ members and always min.10-15 participating in the season. we are currently battling it out between the four of us ???
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Time constraints are annoying. The bug with the league during the group A season probably didn't help with keeping people interested either.

I did manage to give my favourite location a shot today though! Came in cold, having only raced in dailies for the last month or so. Turns out my concentration was severely lacking, and after a double-figures number of offs I rage-retired near the start of SS3. Not even remotely competitive. Hopefully I can put together a better showing next weekend!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ha. Had a shot at Finland. First stage was awesome, probably a PB. The rest were all laughably bad.

Pretty sure I know exactly why though - I tried driving with dashcam instead of cockpit, and it felt amazing. Seemed like I could see the road so much better, so I could push way more. Hard to tell but I reckon my pace was much quicker than usual, and either way it certainly felt fast. Of course, the flipside of that was I ended up clipping trees and rolling out by taking corners too fast (I'm never normally going fast enough for this to be a problem...).

The many punctures and resets saw any competitiveness go out the window, but boy did I have a lot of fun.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Admittedly, Finland in the modern WRC cars is my nemesis. Keep feeling fine and controlled until finland roughly tells me that it sure as hell isn't. Many squirrels were hunted, surprised the car made it to the finish. Think I had one single stage which was clean.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried, I really did. Ish.

In the DiRTY Forumers League I pushed like a mofo and did really well. I started this off with the same attitude. However, in the other league I'd been using an Alpine.

No worries.

I lowered the suspension because I thought the maximum height was a bad choice, and I ended up retiring after the first four corners of the second stage. On SS1 I'd completely destroyed the car's internals, including the radiator, and after adding a hefty time penalty for repairing only that, by the start of stage two the car was loose, wobbly and undriveable.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, done with Finland! Not my favourite rally due to all the air-time, but I've adjust my driving there lately and think it has started to pay off.
  • SS1: Off to a good pace with a clean run. Won the stage by 3 secs.
  • SS2: Surprised at my SS1 win and lost my concentration.  No less than 5 major crashes and/or spins (no resets, though) which led to a busted radiator. Was real close to rage-quitting by the time I got to the finish. 19 seconds lost. Expected it to be a lot more, to be honest, so seems this was a wreckfest for the most of us. ;)
  • SS3 & 4: Calm down, focus on a clean run. Car starts to break down and co-driver starts complaining on SS4. Win a stage, lose a stage. Meh...
  • SS5 & 6: Full survival-mode as the car sounds like it is being powered by firecrackers. Clean stages, though, so I'm only 0,2 secs behind the leader when I'm done.
  • SS7: The few repairs I had time for hardly made any difference, but I decided to gamble and push a little bit more (than the two last stages) and go for the win. Someone was busy squirrel-hunting, for sure, as I finished on top with a 15,2 second lead.
TL;DR: Good start, crappy middle, crippled (but strong) finish. Currently at 1st position.
Just waiting for @SkyRex to swoop in and knock me down a spot now. :)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Germany was... well.. not horrible, but not good either. A few mistakes that cost me about the 15-20 seconds I ended up behind @roustabout / that_guy, but even without those offs I probably wouldn't have won. No real feeling for the car, felt like I was fighting it instead of guiding it for the most part. Just one stage that felt good.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I share your sentiment, @Dytut, this rally was just "meh" for me as well.
It's been a while since I'd driven the Fiesta and I had to tweak the tuning a bit, but couldn't quite find the sweet spot. I don't blame my performance on the car, though, as I've never been able to compete with the top times in Germany.
Thought I had a reasonably good pace on the first three stages, but was nowhere near @roustabout's speed and basically didn't stand a chance. Also, on SS4 I decided to confront a particularly cheeky hinkelstein, but the bastard wouldn't budge so I was forced to make a tactical retreat, losing precious seconds in the process.
Looking forward to the next (and final) rally in Wales!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I finished the first 3 stages and pulled into service yesterday, and with no other times on the board I wasn't really sure how I was doing (can't see friends times any more in online races).  Came back today and finished up the remaining stages.  No real dramas other than some overcooked corners and a bit of paint left on a few hinkelsteins...  Pretty close times all the way around.  Hopefully my times hold up for a bit.

Wales for me is either ok or horrific, so I'm shooting for ok on the next event.  :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

baunau said:
I share your sentiment, @Dytut, this rally was just "meh" for me as well.
It's been a while since I'd driven the Fiesta and I had to tweak the tuning a bit, but couldn't quite find the sweet spot. I don't blame my performance on the car, though, as I've never been able to compete with the top times in Germany.
Thought I had a reasonably good pace on the first three stages, but was nowhere near @roustabout's speed and basically didn't stand a chance. Also, on SS4 I decided to confront a particularly cheeky hinkelstein, but the bastard wouldn't budge so I was forced to make a tactical retreat, losing precious seconds in the process.
Looking forward to the next (and final) rally in Wales!
*pssst* We're not allowed to change cars during a season :-) 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dytut said:
baunau said:
I share your sentiment, @Dytut, this rally was just "meh" for me as well.
It's been a while since I'd driven the Fiesta and I had to tweak the tuning a bit, but couldn't quite find the sweet spot. I don't blame my performance on the car, though, as I've never been able to compete with the top times in Germany.
Thought I had a reasonably good pace on the first three stages, but was nowhere near @roustabout's speed and basically didn't stand a chance. Also, on SS4 I decided to confront a particularly cheeky hinkelstein, but the bastard wouldn't budge so I was forced to make a tactical retreat, losing precious seconds in the process.
Looking forward to the next (and final) rally in Wales!
*pssst* We're not allowed to change cars during a season :-) 
That is one of the rules. Drive the Polo in Wales again. I will have to degrade you one position back at the end of the championship, as a penalty for changing cars.

Germany went well, except stage 6 for me. stage 6 ruined it all... well let the hopes start for next season. 
As Arete will probably get the title: @Dytut just maybe think about 2000's or R4 for your choice of next Season ?? ;) 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SkyRex said:

As Arete will probably get the title: @Dytut just maybe think about 2000's or R4 for your choice of next Season ?? ;) 
@Dytut, Consider 80s, too. Or Group B RWD plus the R5. Or R4 plus R5. Any combination including the R5, really. I'd love to drive it. Even though I haven't found a cure for the understeer in slow corners.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SkyRex said:
Dytut said:
baunau said:
I share your sentiment, @Dytut, this rally was just "meh" for me as well.
It's been a while since I'd driven the Fiesta and I had to tweak the tuning a bit, but couldn't quite find the sweet spot. I don't blame my performance on the car, though, as I've never been able to compete with the top times in Germany.
Thought I had a reasonably good pace on the first three stages, but was nowhere near @roustabout's speed and basically didn't stand a chance. Also, on SS4 I decided to confront a particularly cheeky hinkelstein, but the bastard wouldn't budge so I was forced to make a tactical retreat, losing precious seconds in the process.
Looking forward to the next (and final) rally in Wales!
*pssst* We're not allowed to change cars during a season :-) 
That is one of the rules. Drive the Polo in Wales again. I will have to degrade you one position back at the end of the championship, as a penalty for changing cars.

Germany went well, except stage 6 for me. stage 6 ruined it all... well let the hopes start for next season. 
As Arete will probably get the title: @Dytut just maybe think about 2000's or R4 for your choice of next Season ?? ;) 
I don't want him degraded or anything, just thought I'd remind him (and the rest) for the future :neutral: I prefer to fight 'til the end in wales :-)

As for car choice if I'd happen to win (I really hadn't considered winning a league... ), I'm leaning towards som 80's action :-)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely up for some R5 action.

Germany went pretty well. Got within a second or so of @baunau after SS5, but then kept losing concentration on the two night stages. Still, kept it (mostly) on the road and finished! Still really, really enjoying the dash cam.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dytut said:
SkyRex said:
Dytut said:
*pssst* We're not allowed to change cars during a season :-) 
That is one of the rules. Drive the Polo in Wales again. I will have to degrade you one position back at the end of the championship, as a penalty for changing cars.

Germany went well, except stage 6 for me. stage 6 ruined it all... well let the hopes start for next season. 
As Arete will probably get the title: @Dytut just maybe think about 2000's or R4 for your choice of next Season ?? ;) 
I don't want him degraded or anything, just thought I'd remind him (and the rest) for the future :neutral: I prefer to fight 'til the end in wales :-)

As for car choice if I'd happen to win (I really hadn't considered winning a league... ), I'm leaning towards som 80's action :-)
Oh, man, what a rookie mistake! I completely forgot about that rule. D'oh!!! :D
Fair is fair, though, and I fully accept the penalty as per the league rules.
No worries, @Dytut , I read your comment as a friendly reminder, not as a way of telling on me to @SkyRex . Will make sure to drive the Polo in Wales, for sure.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tried Wales. Poor Polo.

Frankly, I'm amazed it even kept going to the end of the first stage. So many collisions. About a minute into stage 2 and retiring was the only realistic option. Not my finest.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really excited about Wales tonight! I just hope I can stay clear of the berms of death and keep the Polo well clear of the trees.
Looks like a solid performance from you, @roustabout , congrats! Good luck to the rest of you! :)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Disappointing event - once more. This is not my season.

My speed was good, as I was close behind @roustabout after SS3, despite a jump start in SS1 and one spin in each of the following stages. Then in SS4 and SS5, I tried to attack but had two of those vintage Hyundai moments: half rolls, staying on the side for an eternity until deciding to fall back on its wheels.

So, at the start of SS6, I should have just cruised to the end. Which I did not, of course. With my concentration fading, I had two resets and then hit a tree in fifth gear, prompting instant retirement.

Next season, I will surely think very hard before I decide on the car to use. Except the R5 is one of the cars available, of course...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was quite excited before this final event and did a single stage as a warm-up (first run of the night) just to see if I was "feeling it" today, couldn't risk going in "cold". Fine-tuned my setup, hit the stage and decided it was good enough to use in the final rally.
After my blunder during the last event (driving the wrong car), I made sure to double-check my car selection before starting this one. ;)
Figured I might as well go out with a bang and pushed as hard as I could right out of the gate. To my surprise, I managed to keep the Polo on the road and even stay confident through corners/sections where I'd usually mess up (and brace for impact). Except for a half-spin and full stop in a R1 on SS4, the rest of the rally was incident-free and I don't think I could have driven any better. Extremely happy with my performance tonight! :)
Looking forward to see how my times stack up against @SkyRex and @Dytut . Good luck and have fun, gents! :)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh dear.

My plan was to go out for a quick round of disc golf and then get home in good time to warm up with the dailies and a cup of coffee. 
That didn't happen.
The disc golf round took faaaaar longer than planned, and once I got home I had 1,5 hours to complete wales. Figured I just had to do the best I could even tired as hell in the short time I had available (with loading times an event takes about an hour).
SS1 was.... awful. No concentration at all. Barrel rolled the car after a few corners. Touched a stone and had to reset a few corners later. Understeered on into the forest a near the end. In short, total disaster!
Took a few minutes to refocus, and then continued on. I had to finish, or my chances were lost.
SS2-SS5 I managed to keep the car on the road, but just barely. Kept to the lines and managed to win some stages, but no chance in hell to take bake the time lost on SS1. Managed to get that_guy behind me at least, so kept my focus on that.
SS6 was where my concentration was lost again. One barrel roll, one spin and one reset. Suffice to say that I was not happy with my driving.
SS7 I was just hoping that I could keep it together enough to keep that_guy behind me. Managed that at least....

Oh well. Got a lesson in trying to drive well under less than ideal circumstances.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations, @Dytut and @roustabout , on your first- and second places, respectively. I have really enjoyed this season and going into it I was definitely not expecting a place at the podium (second place by points, third after being degraded).
80s class for the next season will be.. interesting. But variety is the spice of life and I will give it my best shot.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well there my chances for this season went away. Felt like I had a real good flow on SS1, and then on one of the icy corners in the end I suddenly get drastic understeer and slowly slide over the wall to retirement. 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, that sucked...
Not in my comfort zone with the 80s cars, though I do find them fun to drive, so I started off fairly safe but soon found a decent flow. Had a 39 sec lead going into SS5, then my concentration started slipping and so did my front-wheels which ended my rally as the car hit the stone barrier and went over.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seeing this rate of attrition, I'm glad to finish. It wasn't pretty, though. My setup worked in snowy and slippy conditions, I even had some flow there (sometimes), but it was awful in the dry passages. I really don't know how to get the R5 to turn in there. This lead to a lot of mistakes, twice being beached on a wall and narrowly escaping retirement.

Well, I wanted the R5, I got it.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I happened to check the leaderboard when you were running @baunau, kept seeing you pulling away from me, thought for sure that was it. Very exciting!

Even in an AWD car I'll end up over the wall in Monte, happens so fast I can't even hit the button to pause so I could recover if I wanted. Everything is fine, then Bam!, over. Did that just last week in another race.

Had a few moments in this event where I almost met my maker but managed to get to the end without destroying my car, so it was a good race. :-)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pulled into service just before Norraskoga. Still trying to find my way in Sweden, my little Renault was all over the road most of the time. Storms coming in so I had to cut my event short, but I'll be back asap...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

'Kay...this sounds awesome. Can console players participate?

If so, can someone let me know how to join in on the next season?

Thanks...and again, this sounds awesome.

While my name here is "Habsolute" my name on my PS4 login is Dice73AF. I think I was supposed to write that here, as per a previous request.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Habsolute said:

'Kay...this sounds awesome. Can console players participate?

If so, can someone let me know how to join in on the next season?

Thanks...and again, this sounds awesome.

While my name here is "Habsolute" my name on my PS4 login is Dice73AF. I think I was supposed to write that here, as per a previous request.

Unfortunately I don't think we can share leagues between different platforms :-( 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dytut said:
Habsolute said:

'Kay...this sounds awesome. Can console players participate?

If so, can someone let me know how to join in on the next season?

Thanks...and again, this sounds awesome.

While my name here is "Habsolute" my name on my PS4 login is Dice73AF. I think I was supposed to write that here, as per a previous request.

Unfortunately I don't think we can share leagues between different platforms :-( 

Booo...anyway, sounds incredible. Enjoy gentlemen (and ladies) and happy rallying!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Logged in today to finish up in Sweden but it's asking me to choose my car (again). Looks like I'll have to run the first 3 again, I'll try to keep my time as close as I can on the 2nd time through the first 3...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Full disclosure; I started Sweden earlier tonight but had to leave the house after the first stage and left the game running in replay-mode (alt+return to windowed) while I was gone. When I came back the game was not responding and I was forced to kill the drt.exe process and restart the game. My progress had not been saved (I won the first stage by ~7,5 secs) so I had to do a start over.
@SkyRex - It's your league, your rules; i.e. I'll accept any penalty this may warrant.
On my re-do of SS1, I ended up doing the same mistakes (two spins) as on my first attempt which resulted in an almost identical time (actually 0,5 secs faster). SS2 through SS6 was mostly uneventful, apart from nosediving into a tree on SS5, and I managed to keep a fairly comfortable lead throughout. Until SS7, that is...
On the last stage is were @Dytut 's sneaky mental games (I suspect) came into play and I must have found some inspiration in the song he posted earlier as it was a festival of half- and full-spins which cost me 29 (!) secs. :-|
Finished on top, though, with a whooping 1,7 seconds lead.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Habsolute said:
Booo...anyway, sounds incredible. Enjoy gentlemen (and ladies) and happy rallying!
@Habsolute - As mentioned, cross-platform leagues are not a thing unfortunately, but here are a couple of PS4 leagues that might be of interest (I'm a member of both):
The first one has close to 2000 members and the current season runs over 10 events, each with 8 stages. The latter has a rather low member count (26) and has a shorter season with 6 events, each with 3 stages.
Both leagues change car classes for each event, which is nice if you want some variation and exposure to cars you might not drive that often.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

baunau said:
Full disclosure; I started Sweden earlier tonight but had to leave the house after the first stage and left the game running in replay-mode (alt+return to windowed) while I was gone. When I came back the game was not responding and I was forced to kill the drt.exe process and restart the game. My progress had not been saved (I won the first stage by ~7,5 secs) so I had to do a start over.
@SkyRex - It's your league, your rules; i.e. I'll accept any penalty this may warrant.
On my re-do of SS1, I ended up doing the same mistakes (two spins) as on my first attempt which resulted in an almost identical time (actually 0,5 secs faster). SS2 through SS6 was mostly uneventful, apart from nosediving into a tree on SS5, and I managed to keep a fairly comfortable lead throughout. Until SS7, that is...
On the last stage is were @Dytut 's sneaky mental games (I suspect) came into play and I must have found some inspiration in the song he posted earlier as it was a festival of half- and full-spins which cost me 29 (!) secs. :-|
Finished on top, though, with a whooping 1,7 seconds lead.
I was no mental game. I think I had two "clean" stages (as in, only small spins), on the rest I had at least one big spin (most often in tight sections so having to do the reverse-forward-reverse-forward routine). Quite frustrating this round, as I felt like I had a good pace when I didn't spin.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dytut said:
I was no mental game. I think I had two "clean" stages (as in, only small spins), on the rest I had at least one big spin (most often in tight sections so having to do the reverse-forward-reverse-forward routine). Quite frustrating this round, as I felt like I had a good pace when I didn't spin.
@Dytut - I was thinking more with regards to "planting" that song in the heads of those who hadn't done the rally yet. It definitely worked on me, i.e. it made me spin around (like a record) on SS7. Should've added a wink to make it clear that my comment was made in jest.  ;)
I share your pain on the rally, though; I really like the Swedish stages, but nothing can be as rage-inducing as getting pulled in by those snow banks.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a shame I can't defend my second place in the standings because of my malfunctioning pedals. I thought about running without pedals, using only the buttons on my wheel, but that doesn't work good enough. Same for other input methods. I would be down at least one minute on every stage, and life is just too short for that.

With a little luck, I'll be back in Greece or Finland with a shiny new - or shiny used but still working properly - wheel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...