Jump to content Jump to content

DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club

SkyRex

I just had a terrible first three stages myself. Let's just say that everything that could go wrong did. Two punctures, numerous spins, one roll, one wrong turn, missed chicanes and so on. Too much to be able to continue for now.

Edited by YoMrWhite

Got a good clean run round Poland for a nice chance, drove it like I’d to pay for the damage and while not fast, was safe and consistent, which was good enough for 3rd when I finished. (May not end up 3rd by time others have finished though).

The manta is definitely strong over a full rally when deg is taken into account, it’s living up to my suspicions of it so far. Not really the car for time trial records but over a full rally it’s as strong as any of the others.

• Agree 1

Yes, the Manta is indeed very reliable and quite stable at high speeds and over jumps, which surely helps on rallies like Poland and Finland. The Porsche has its own strengths, but was very unstable in Poland and I guess Finland will be similar. New Zealand is a mixture of fast and slow passages, so I might have a better chance there. We'll see.

• Agree 1

On 12/12/2021 at 12:47 AM, Frankiestail said:

The manta is definitely strong over a full rally when deg is taken into account, it’s living up to my suspicions of it so far. Not really the car for time trial records but over a full rally it’s as strong as any of the others.

Depends really on the location and stages. You can occasionally find Opel Manta in top times even on TT leaderboards (Finland is one prime example on top of my head) while non-TT leaderboards it tends to be more curious, like 911 SC RS often having WR in some Argentina stages while the usual suspect Lancia has in others. One can always debate the relative issues of non-TT leaderboards but considering it is possible to set top time (let's say top50 or better) in less-than-ideal conditions or even with two spare tyres (obviously won't be pushing top20 but still), I still think they are worth considering when it comes to accounting how consistent they are in top performance.

Of course realistically speaking when assuming any even remotedly realistic distance driven, cars like Manta will shine as it makes it less likely for driver to make errors, while other cars can still put up very strong or even great performances on grounds of consistency. If assuming say, 12 long stages without services in variable weather type of scenario (in DR2), Manta would be strong contender for consistently showing up for points but one could probabilistically find all cars often scoring points accounting that there will be retirements or issues that can draw even the fastest driver to a screeching halt and barely finishing.

On 12/12/2021 at 2:17 AM, YoMrWhite said:

Yes, the Manta is indeed very reliable and quite stable at high speeds and over jumps, which surely helps on rallies like Poland and Finland. The Porsche has its own strengths, but was very unstable in Poland and I guess Finland will be similar. New Zealand is a mixture of fast and slow passages, so I might have a better chance there. We'll see.

I disagree a bit that 911 is unstable in Poland as far as jumps goes. It is more really the narrow road combined with speed that even small error in line becomes exaggerated when driven near limits or attempting to push the car more which highlights the issue of approaching jumps, while in Finland is pretty trivial due much wider roads as long as you minimise unnecessary airtime in riskier jumps and crests. One can compare A110 (and Datsun 240Z while at it, though for different reasons) stage strategies in those locations to 911 as they exhibit comparable behaviour though for slightly different reasons.

Edited by Mjarr

Stage 4 New Zealand.....usually I am last or close to it, on this one I was beyond last...kept exploring the fields around the road and going through the fences...very entertaining 😄

De Coubertin used to say that the important is to participate, I guess that's what I am doing...at least the car is still running.

1 minute ago, WesiWeso said:

Stage 4 New Zealand.....usually I am last or close to it, on this one I was beyond last...kept exploring the fields around the road and going through the fences...very entertaining 😄

De Coubertin used to say that the important is to participate, I guess that's what I am doing...at least the car is still running.

As long as you are having fun or some kind of goals akin to try to finish mostly in one piece, go for it 👍. It is easy to get too hung up on whenever you see people who consistently score at the top lamenting "bad" their run was (not that I can't sympathise) but it is all relative and whatnot.

My goal for NZ was to aim ~5mins from the lead. In turn in 2nd (or was it 3rd?) stage I had a puncture around the middle for swinging bit too wide, and stage 6 I accidentally downshifted too much in a corner that resulted multi-rebound crash so I had triple punctures and lost easily over 1min alone in the final split just driving near the limit how fast one can go while preserving tyres. Failed that goal but it was pretty fun because I don't remember the last time I had such hilarious rebound crash due such error, and gave me a reason to perservere to the end. Any attempts to be within ~5mins from the lead was shattered but I found it quite fun and interesting experience to lose some time vs retire altogether.

So for next one aim for whatever goal you set and try to achieve it. 👊

• Like 3

Thanks! I will try to finish, not crawling to the end and try to beat my best time, too bad that the game doesn't show if you were faster than your best, unless you go on time trial, I guess I could always enter the times in an Excel file, try to have more control on the car, some difficulties with this category of cars, still getting used to the Opel Manta, but that one thing for this sim, the scenery is nice, often I would love to take it easy to look around and enjoy the view...:).

I am kind of new to this game, less than a year, been using some F1 sims, and so far this one is really fun to run, love it! So I will keep running, sometimes I do get lucky like in Poland and finish 10 of 11, actually Poland went pretty good. Well see you around!

13 minutes ago, WesiWeso said:

Thanks! I will try to finish, not crawling to the end and try to beat my best time, too bad that the game doesn't show if you were faster than your best, unless you go on time trial, I guess I could always enter the times in an Excel file, try to have more control on the car, some difficulties with this category of cars, still getting used to the Opel Manta, but that one thing for this sim, the scenery is nice, often I would love to take it easy to look around and enjoy the view...:).

I am kind of new to this game, less than a year, been using some F1 sims, and so far this one is really fun to run, love it! So I will keep running, sometimes I do get lucky like in Poland and finish 10 of 11, actually Poland went pretty good. Well see you around!

You can't compare runs runs if you have different stage degradation and worn tyres so don't compare your previous runs with what you do at a later point, unless it's the same conditions ie. time trial.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, WesiWeso said:

TT times tend to have the joke they are essentially always done in ideal conditions relative to the ground conditions chosen, and while they tend to be more comparable without any question compared to non-TT boards where it can be sometimes hard to tell if pretty good time (say borderline ~top100 depending on stage, car etc ofc) was done with worn tyres and two spares in the back or cheesed optimal conditions for ~top15 or better, as somethingthing said they often are not comparable to realistic runs accounting surface degradation and tyre wear and such. I even questioned 1st stage during my run (basically basetime until somethingthing swiped it away) that am I really that slow or am I imagining it only to realise the last few times I ran the same stage in NZ was running some TT experiments for setups in different car class, and of course after comparing my delta to the fastest time, they were comparable what my usual performance relatively speaking tends to +- some mistakes here and there. One possible way to migitate relative delta is to setup custom championship with default AI and build some baseline what times you can do outside TT.

That being said, RWDs in DR2 tend to be some of the more challenging cars to drive on the grounds how active the driving tends to be. While Manta is easy car to drive relatively speaking, if you haven't build that RWD logic to your muscle memory or even abstract idea, it of course still feels like struggling. Practice and keeping on driving helps, it is just different experience to drive on simulated loose surface vs simulated asphalt with a lot more downforce and not and so on.

Edited by Mjarr
  • Agree 1

Thanks both of you @Mjarr and @Somethingthing, not sure how to 'quote', yes it is true that times in trial are under best conditions, so I keep practicing under different conditions, I did not know until a few days ago that we had something like racenet and then clubs were accessible, it does bring something different and fun to the game; did not try multiplayer before, did a few rallies in practice mode, playing with AI force, did not see much difference between 20% and 1% 🙂 and I do a lot of daily, weekly and monthly challenges, when my times are within say 25 % of the leader, I am happy with it and the most important things is that it is fun racing all of those events...and at least even after the worst and sometimes beautiful rolls, and others mishaps, I am still in the comfort of my chair 😄

So I should be around the next races, at least for now my place in the standings is very easy to find...:)

• Agree 1

I reckon if you keep doing the dailies, weeklies etc it’s as good a practice as any as you’ll have a well rounded experience of driving different cars in various locations.

Doing the dailies is about as much practice as I can fit in and while I’m nowhere as fast as the top guys here I can jump into a club with only a shakedown and get to the finish usually in one piece and get a decent enough result for me.

Main thing is to enjoy it and you’ll find yourself in individual battles with those around you either side of the leaderboard.

• Agree 2

Had a quite good run in New Zealand with only two or so spins and was able to overtake @UnderclassGDfanafter a close fight throughout the rally, only to lose the position after a somewhat shaky last stage by 0,031 seconds.

0,031 seconds!

I'm going to call Lewis, so we may have a chat about unfair treatment...

Edited by YoMrWhite

That rally for me was just about trying to avoid the titanium road edges and the punctures that surely follow, which is all the more difficult using cockpit view but such is life in the pursuit of immersion!

Was largely successful in that I got to the end puncture free but was very unsatisfying to have to drive so cautiously. 

Just checked the standings and saw that @baunauended up a paltry 0,261 seconds behind me. Puts things into perspective... That's three drivers less than 0,3 seconds apart after one hour of driving, with @baunauhaving the dubious honour of being the unlucky third of the pack.

And, @UnderclassGDfan, that was a mighty good drive in SS7.

Edited by YoMrWhite

On 12/16/2021 at 9:41 PM, YoMrWhite said:

I'm going to call Lewis, so we may have a chat about unfair treatment...

Ok, then I will call Max to have a chat about being THE CHAMP! 🤣
I seriously can't stand the acting from Lewis, Toto and Mercedes really, such bad losers.

23 minutes ago, YoMrWhite said:

Just checked the standings and saw that @baunauended up a paltry 0,261 seconds behind me. Puts things into perspective... That's three drivers less than 0,3 seconds apart after one hour of driving, with @baunauhaving the dubious honour of being the unlucky third of the pack.

Yeah, pushed the car hard.
It's really nice to drive with fresh tyres, but starting with the 2nd stage in both sets it tries to kill me about every 2nd corner.
Not sure what the problem is, but I get a lot of snap oversteer.
The car is really hard to control when the tyres get worn out.

Additionally I do a lot of mistakes lately.
I had 4 consecutive club rallies with at least 1 puncture.
My focus goes away quick after a few stages.

17 hours ago, YoMrWhite said:

Yeah, that end-result annoyed me a bit. 😄
I mean, it doesn't bother me that I lost, it was the way it happened.

Didn't really pay attention to the standings until ~SS4-5 when I noticed I'd inserted myself into your little battle. Tried to keep a moderate-fast pace throughout the rally and prioritized clean driving over speed. When I saw that it had paid off with a slight lead over you and @UnderclassGDfan after SS6, it completely fell apart on SS7. Threw away all my hard work up until then due to over-cautious driving which led to several half-spins.

Not complaining, though, as I'm too busy enjoying this tail-wagging RWD season.

Finished Argentina. Had a blast trailing somethingthing to be honest, since in stages 1 and 2 there was a split I even slightly gained on somethingthing but otherwise in the slower or less technical sections it was around +0.5 to +1s time difference (some exceptions aside) while in the sections I definitely am not confindent enough driving as fast (opposite of what previously noted) it was several seconds on average per split, but overall felt nice to at least keep up reasonably well in the end. Of course by stages 4-6 as I started to make bit more mistakes and presumably somethingthing was more fired up and making less (trivial) mistakes, had slower stagetimes than earlier but still not drastically so. Only in stages done in reverse I clearly lost time more than I would have liked but that's how it goes sometimes.

Also by some miracle I made new PB that out of all raceclub events that includes a service, my 911 was only needed a wash and fresh set of tyres as the game basically said there's nothing to repair. In contrast by 2nd service I did bump the car a bit more or had some wider corners or bit rough sections that were not so clean as the first time as well stage 6 crash into goalpost, and had to resort to minor quick fixing on less-critical parts to avoid time penalty.

Edited by Mjarr
Brainfarts

On 12/20/2021 at 12:59 PM, Mjarr said:

Finished Argentina. Had a blast trailing somethingthing to be honest, since in stages 1 and 2 there was a split I even slightly gained on somethingthing but otherwise in the slower or less technical sections it was around +0.5 to +1s time difference (some exceptions aside) while in the sections I definitely am not confindent enough driving as fast (opposite of what previously noted) it was several seconds on average per split, but overall felt nice to at least keep up reasonably well in the end. Of course by stages 4-6 as I started to make bit more mistakes and presumably somethingthing was more fired up and making less (trivial) mistakes, had slower stagetimes than earlier but still not drastically so. Only in stages done in reverse I clearly lost time more than I would have liked but that's how it goes sometimes.

Also by some miracle I made new PB that out of all raceclub events that includes a service, my 911 was only needed a wash and fresh set of tyres as the game basically said there's nothing to repair. In contrast by 2nd service I did bump the car a bit more or had some wider corners or bit rough sections that were not so clean as the first time as well stage 6 crash into goalpost, and had to resort to minor quick fixing on less-critical parts to avoid time penalty.

Finished Argentina too, was in a battle with SEVE ZES66 all along, gaining a few seconds on Las Juntas and back, loosing on Valle los puertes and back, last stage was on a portion of Las Juntas, was good for me...had to use soft tire, repair as much as I can in 29 minutes something and hope I did not make too many mistakes...it was exciting, finished behind him in New Zealand, I was lucky enough here...by a few seconds...I am getting hooked on these clubs 🙂

5 hours ago, WesiWeso said:

Finished Argentina too, was in a battle with SEVE ZES66 all along, gaining a few seconds on Las Juntas and back, loosing on Valle los puertes and back, last stage was on a portion of Las Juntas, was good for me...had to use soft tire, repair as much as I can in 29 minutes something and hope I did not make too many mistakes...it was exciting, finished behind him in New Zealand, I was lucky enough here...by a few seconds...I am getting hooked on these clubs 🙂

Congratulations on (presumably non-smoking?) finish. 👍 Looking at times times, that seems like it was good goal to compete with whatever Seve's times were since it was pretty neck-to-neck at times while in the end you came through in Argentina at least in one way or another. Glad to hear you are enjoying the asynchronyous format of raceclubs. That being said, in my opinion, it is one of the better features of DR2 that you can compete without need to concern about scheduling every driver to do so while it allows also more practical method to pick up what your goals are. If you are close to someone's times, then aim say said time overall and at this point and say, if you can only do x-stages at once, that's fine too. Or if you want (or can) do the whole run in one go, please do so.

So job well done, that's a finish at least with some goals. Give it some time and whatnot and perhaps you go up to bit more competitive times overall 👍. Perhaps not in this car class but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

• Agree 1

Ah, Argentina. One of my favourites, don't really know why. It's narrow, it's slow, but I'm usually competitive here.

Speed was good, but unfortunately I managed to squeeze in spins in SS1 and SS2. Instead of being very close to @somethingthing, I lost a lot of time, as the spins were in tight places. In SS3 there was no spin, but at that time, the tyres were as usually dead on the Porsche.

SS4 was good again, until I rolled shortly before the finish, the car staying on its roof, Time loss including reset was maybe 15 seconds. On top, that roll finally broke my fighting spirit. SS5 was really bad, SS6 half bad, only in SS7 I found my rhythm again. Too little too late for a good result, I guess.

Wow, it soon turned to a battle between 3 of us. I won ss1, lost ss2. And then came ss3. I won it with a small margin, but more important now I knew I found that sweet spot between not to much understeer and not so much oversteer it killed the tires.

Wirh a bit to much confident I did ss4 and nearly lost it all. Well in the end lost only about 3 seconds. But I was sure I could be fastest and then won the last 3 stages. Again, wow what a battle.