Jump to content Jump to content

DRC | DiRT Rally Championship | The Forum's Club

SkyRex

Germany had some on\off mishaps. 1st stage in 1st corner I turned too hard due forgetting how sneaky it is and already broke headlights and dented the 911 quite a bit due rebounding on the other side + had some other wide (non-crashing) corners due braking tad too late, but stages 2 and 3 went alright. Then between stages 4 and 6 I had mishaps between wide corners and other errors, probably worst being in stage 6 (I believe?) before the uphill turn I turned bit too much inside and rolled the car although it eventually landed back on its wheels after pingpong from the opposite wall while the long straight with a jump leading into that crest turn I braked tad too late, swung wide and got slapped with +22s recovery penalty. Just to top it all off, in the final stage I had minor Austin Powers moment in the 2nd chicane though at least the final straight with jump went much better than the last time.

Still never had any serious damage in spite of mishaps so not too bad, just could have easily been -40 to -45s in total time overall without some mishaps.

Since I forgot my AAR, long story short went reasonably well. Maybe drove bit too conservatively at times but overall other than stage 5 (or was it 6?) rear puncture after swinging bit too wide in a corner, no serious mishaps. Some minor ones included 360 spinout in a hairpin, and overall slow hairpins or cautious driving in some sections. Though at the time of writing, retaining provisional stage win against Underclassgdfan in the final stage was bit amusing but I assume UGfan crashed pretty bad somewhere. Needless to say it will not remain a stage win for long.

Addendum: As much as I only recently started to post here, I have to say one thing I noticed over time participating in this club is that other than unfamiliar cars or plain shitshows where everything seems to go wrong (F2 Kitcar comes to mind), I seem to maintain relatively consistent delta to those faster than me. Next step might be to improve the pace a bit whether it is by practicing more unfamiliar locations and perhaps adjusting my unscientific DIY-setup(s) bit more for the format.

On 1/2/2022 at 7:27 PM, YoMrWhite said:

Wales: Another close fight with @UnderclassGDfan, then in SS5 an innocent feeling contact with whatever led to a puncture on the rear. Tried to keep the speed up, which in turn led to a heavy crash. Hmph.

Shame about that. The times were definitely neck to neck.

Edited by Mjarr
Addendum

As delayed AAR post, made baseline time for Finland which Janneman60 beat (👍), went alright though purely subjectively given it is my most driven and\or practiced location after Australia, doing reasonably well is kinda expected and doing poorly would be the opposite in a way. That being said, overall it went pretty smooth other than being rather conservative at times due nature of the event that if one ends up being greedy and two seconds later it becomes terminal damage against a tree, I find it not worth it. Especially in specific corners that I honestly have not found common terms even with tuned modern 4WDs without risking serious case of bottoming out and terminal damage. I will say 911 SC RS does have the advantage it is pretty damm safe to drive overall if one can live with its bit peaky nature of throttlework and whatnot, one can give it more abuse than most modern cars ingame allows without risking serious damage.

Good luck + congratulations to all finishers so far and congrats to Janneman for provisional podium. Curious to see if somethingthing manages to beat that time given stage 3 issue in which I somehow remained faster in that stage than Janneman and whatnot.

Edited by Mjarr
Minor corrections

10 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

In stage 3 my rear tire exploded after a jump, no idea why. Anyway had to drive 2,5 sector on the rim.

That is unfortunate. I don't think I have ever had anything similar and\or comparable in the past either. Sounds bit random but alas, **** happens. 😞

A wild ride in Finland - with a happy ending for a change. SS 1 to 3 went quite smooth, apart from one spin in SS2. In SS4 I rolled the car, got a puncture and had to drive the last two sectors on the rim. Substantial time loss, of course. SS5 and SS6 were better, but a bit shaky. I think I had another spin somewhere, but nothing serious.

Ahead of SS7, I knew I had to more or less match @baunaus time to move ahead of @Janneman60again. After two sectors I was in front by 2,5 seconds, only to roll the car shortly after the half point. After three sectors, I was behind by 2,5 seconds. I then gave it absolutely everything in the last sector and ended up 0,3 seconds behind @baunau. Enough to snatch the second place by 1,2 seconds. That was a good one.

And now for those tranquilizers...

USA was bit of a ride. Forgot to swap back to my usual co-driver for "serious" driving, though while this was not too bad in stage 1 as I have done enough practice to do the parts I struggled with by memory, stage 2 was not so lucky and anticipating certain calls coming up soon™, that never frankly came the same way due different syntax and way notes are read. Thus I oversped to a corner and realised it too late to even play it safely, had sequence of rebounds that flew the car way past the crowd, slapped me +38 second penalty, and of course I had a puncture. So I tried to push as much as possible but shortly after crossing the following split I had wide corner that rolled the car and left me with steaming radiator, and prompted me to swap the tyre and just accept that stage just went poorly. Stage 3 also highlighted minor issues that while I have done more practice in North Fork Pass (regular and reverse), different codriver syntax still caused bit funny moments how much audio can matter even combined with some passable stage knowledge, and one third in my engine was losing power. So by first service I made rough estimation what do I need to quick fix before changing co-driver, and by complete accident I ended up abusing game's inability to keep proper track of damage online, which meant I did not have to take service penalty in the end. 🙌

Latter half went otherwise ok, besides jumping te start in stage 5 as well as having bad jump landing towards the end which slapped me 20+ penalty. Final stage also continued the theme of jump issues since I hit a rock just enough to break headlight and detach the additional ones, and driving in the rain with only one flickering headlight was bit tricky to say the least.

Edited by Mjarr

Forgot all about the last few rallies and just about managed to fit this one in before it timed out, post Christmas malaise melting my brain!

Had been running steady in 5th but had to grab a bite to eat and when I returned I’d lost my rhythm and run wide into dopey safety unaware spectators not once but twice for a pair of resets to show.

Does anyone know what time penalty is for a crowd reset?

32 minutes ago, Frankiestail said:

Does anyone know what time penalty is for a crowd reset?

Going by purely subjective experiences, as a thumb rule +4 to +8 seconds is to be expected most of the time, but it seems to be also dependent in some other factors that may relate to speed, stage and\or corner specifics, and if you flew way too deep as well that just happens to also have crowd visually.

Monte Carlo was quite uneventful. Few spinouts due bit too heavy throttling and occasional slow corners way up high in the snowy sections. I did get a post-finish puncture in stage 6 which hardly mattered.

Edited by Mjarr

Normally I am good at Monte. Probably a bit to confident I did a good start just to get a puncture halfway ss1. Changed the tire and so was a minute behind the leader. From there I drove like a maniac and ended 6 seconds in front after ss7. Good fun.

2 hours ago, Frankiestail said:

I’ve been down with covid, managed to finish one before Monte, can’t even remember what it was. Treble vision now just double vision so I’ll try to jump back in again.

A good recovery from me, too.

In other news, Monte Carlo was a short one for me. Fast in SS1, smashed wheel and crash in SS2.

Finished Sweden earlier. Went bit worse than hoped, had too many unnecessary spinouts due either braking tad too late or flooring the throttle bit too early. Curiously first three stages were ok due driving more cautiously due night, then in daylight wanted to push more and while at times I had even -3 faster deltas in some splits than earlier in the same stage, all it takes is one spinout into brief roll or almost spinout while surfing on the side at odd angles. Also in at least one of the stages I went off the road enough for the game to slap a recovery, and in the final stage I clipped corner just too fast too early, rolled the car for 5+ seconds and got slapped another recovery. So in sense, with say only one or two spinouts and not going bit too fast in some sections it could have easily been one minute off my time at the very least, but **** happens.

Also here's hoping good recovery for Frankiestail. We had pretty close battle in Finland.

Edited by Mjarr
Stage remarks

Had 3 good stages in Sweden, then a mighty crash in SS4, rolling the car a few times. When I tried to make up the time - car was still in one piece -, I hit the entrance of that bridge after about 2/3 of the stage and had to retire on the spot.

Maybe I got carried away by the excitement of driving the Porsche this season, as I had way too many spins, rolls and crashes. At least I had fun while it lasted...

Managed to finish Sweden in one piece more or less. The manta was good fun on the snow, though I did manage to roll and also spun round a few times after catching a snow bank, more due to the fact that I couldn’t see too well. The problems of middle aged eyesight!

Edited by Frankiestail