DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

So online huh...

i think you should also learn to let them go, 'coz in the end they'll just be crashing amongst themselves.

I have the orange symbol because in the three races, i had two with the mclaren f1 and people crashed me on the back all the time, at least now I know what are those symbols thanks fellas + in a moment i had only 23$ on my account because of that damages and bad standings lol
What happens when you don't have enough money for repairs? Do you go negative and then have to work your way out of a cash hole? -1044, -44,600

Or does the game sell your car and you have to go back to using a loaner car online?

Is repair costs only done in the playlists or repair costs can happen in a custom host too? If in a custom host, what happens when derby racing where players are hitting the other cars all the time?

cheaper cars a

Truth be told, my difficulty bonus always seem to cover any damage bills I get, and then some.

Also the fact that you all seem to be racing hypercars with no money , really alludes to the fact that CM don't need to change any game design and that some of you guys need to change some of your in-game choices.

A bad choice by the player, is not a design flaw by the game makers.

So, maybe try different disciplines till you get some bank, try turning some hand holds off and experience the game properly, I don't think someone such as myself should be gimped because some people choose to the play the game in a manner not intended by its designers.

Although, having the damage bill proportionally weighted to the drivers' current impact rating would make for a smarter game mechanic, especially to reduce bad driving.

no hand holds or hypercars here, yet its still financially unviable for me to run my own chevy cruze in clean races at a profit.
How can that not be a game flaw?

Perhaps you could quantify your own 'profitable experience' a little more so we can see where we are going wrong?

for example, my cruze has all upgrades applied. It also has all the tuning options unlocked to level 3.
Im white impact rating.
the cruze is level 55 i think.
im level 25 in touring discipline [i think it is]

when i say clean race, i mean very clean, a private server with friends on teamspeak....who incidentally, suffer the exact same cash flow woes.

so could you please provide the same detail level, so that we can see how your costs are being covered?
it may uncover a wee nugget of info eh.

Thanks in advance 8D

@Goonertez‌ I think I see your drama, here... Have a look at this and let me know if it helps... http://blog.codemasters.com/grid/05/grid-autosport-online-racing-vehicle-progression/ Cheers 8D

Hmmm, there might be a silver lining to all this. If the cars are going to be to expensive to keep, then we can all just race loaner cars ( stock  cars ) and have a fair race like we use to have in GRID 1 after the PC v1.3 patch. :)

Boycott buying new cars and just stick with loaner cars.

@Purple44‌ Not exactly. The loan cars operate at about 80% percent effiency, give or take, so it's worthwhile buying and upgrading your own set of wheels, it's just after a point the car just gets too expensive to maintain, and so must be sold. I think it's an interesting mechanic, allowing for people with good car garage management skills to get an edge on other players, it will also allow new comers acces to a fair playing feild when it comes to hours spent in a certain car as car XP, is both a blessing and a curse. Cheers

@Goonertez‌ I think I see your drama, here... Have a look at this and let me know if it helps... http://blog.codemasters.com/grid/05/grid-autosport-online-racing-vehicle-progression/ Cheers 8D
Im sorry but that tells us nothing we dont already know.

This is why im asking you for your quantified experience above....for comparison with the numbers ive spat out.
Now that would be information worthy of posting. [not flaming, just sayin]

I think either hes just trolling or he hasnt really played online / with the same car for "long". Because what he is saying makes no sense at all.

If you actually read the link, you'd realise the answer is in simple black and white. It's quite a simple risk/reward system, with the cars returns diminishing overtime as it levels up. If English isn't your first language, I apologise but if it is then you're beyond help. Enjoy your 'broken' game while I look at you and laugh. 8DDDD

okaaaay, you obviously dont want to, or cant answer my question so ill not ask it anymore.

but i think its YOU who are not reading what im writing.
I know its risk and reward duh.

however, the risks seem to have accumulated to such a high degree, in such a short space of time it renders owning a car more difficult than it praps should be.

in the link you offered up, one part reads

'One of the important things we set out to achieve with the multiplayer side of GRID Autosport was to articulate a sense of bond between a driver and their vehicle.'

How can i bond with my vehicle, if it becomes too expensive to run after 3 days of racing?
Car in q has less than 2000 miles on, yet the loaners have 8000 miles.
this should give an indication of how long a car will last....i should have at least another 6k miles to go shouldnt i?

anyhoo, if i sell my car [level 55] and buy another new one, it'll be level 0 and require all unlocks to be made again.

i also read in another thread, that loore is bringing this point up with cm guys of some sort soon, so there must be some validity here.

/thread if you ask me

@Purple44‌ Not exactly. The loan cars operate at about 80% percent effiency, give or take, so it's worthwhile buying and upgrading your own set of wheels, it's just after a point the car just gets too expensive to maintain, and so must be sold. I think it's an interesting mechanic, allowing for people with good car garage management skills to get an edge on other players, it will also allow new comers acces to a fair playing feild when it comes to hours spent in a certain car as car XP, is both a blessing and a curse. Cheers
Some may enjoy a "Career mode" online, but for me, I think "Career mode" should stay offline. Give me a racing game where you just hop in the car and go race and let your skill win the race, not because you happen to have a better car than the other online players. Like we use to do in v1.3 GRID 1 and Flatout 2.

Give me random car, random track mode online. :)

Also bringing "Career mode" online brings issues that could bring a fragile online to an early death. It does not take much to kill online in a racing game. I have see it happen every year since Codemasters pretty much got online right back in 2008 with GRID 1. One the few PC racing games to have true longevity online for years.

Also how you going have bumper to bumper racing online, like we had with the Lacetti, if some players have loaner cars, some players have half way upgraded touring car and some players have a max out tuned up touring car in the race?

And then this player that has a max out tuned up touring car and has gotten to know how to race this car on the edge ( like we did with the Lacetti ), has to turn around in 2-3 weeks later ( if does a lot of online racing ) and need to sell what was a prefect racing car, but is worn out now and has to start all over again getting a new stock touring car ( atom, Mazda 787B, mini ) back to perfection ( leveling car back up to 50 ).

How does this recipe make for great online bumper to bumper racing like we had with GRID 1 and the Lacetti?

SirDriftalots confirmed for Troll.

There is no risk or reward when you simply cant make any money from driving a bought car.
At the time you leveled it as far as 50 so you get the last upgrade it already costs more to repair than what you can win. Even worse when you race with less oponents as the winnings go down by that too.
So you have to rebuy, relevel and reupgrade with money you dont have because the car got too expensive to drive to begin with. And that is at the lowest class already (Touring C). I cant even begin to imagine what it would be like at cars that set you back a half million and more.

Same goes with sponsors.. great idea but doesnt add anything when you only get like 300 a race or have to fullfill a single one 12 times just to get 1500 off it. That money doesnt get you anything, it doesnt add up either. Not with those car/rapair costs anyways.

Now back with you to your bridge little troll. And take your ironic smiley with you.

Worth a note that we're currently looking into the repair costs of costs.

Purp...what we have been doing in the online/open servers, is using the loaner cars, but disabling tuning and upgrades.

This makes for an almost even playing field.

infact i think the only differences made will be in the % health of the car you are driving and its mileage.
Assuming the mileage factor wont be negated in disabling of upgrades/tuning.

anyway thats how ive seen it and its fun and seems to work

I wouldn't call myself a troll, but I'm not having this problem. I see the cars income diminish as I put on the miles, but am obviously not suffering it to the extent of you guys. That being said, maybe it's a difference in platforms (I'm on PS3), and a bit off a misunderstanding. The fact that @Loore says its something CM are looking into, proves to me I might be the anomaly here. Apologies...888888DDDDD......

maybe hes comparing drift runs with our 'speed' races, maybe thats where the difference is coming from in repair costs.

also, now correct me if im wrong, because im no drifter, but you wouldnt apply ALL upgrades/tuning options to a drift car would you?
Its my belief that repair costs are loinked to tuning option levels...but hey, i could be wrong.

from what little exp i have in drift, there are some tuning options you just wouldnt want to install right?
wrong? i dunno.

in any case, Loore is on the case and im sure either the costs will go down, or the race rewards will go up.
This is a racing simcade, not a racing manager title.

I'm comparing speed races with speed races, I've barley touched the drifting in GAS yet, spending most off my time in touring and open wheelers. I think you're right with repair costs being extrapolated from tuning levels, eg the more suped up the car, the more it costs in upkeep. Like I said before, maybe it's differnece in platforms that's responsible, as Loore deems it important enough to 'look into it'. When I get the time I'll try and get some details from my cat C TC, like odometer, upgrade level and overall damage cost percentages from a 'typical' race.

I wouldn't call myself a troll, but I'm not having this problem. I see the cars income diminish as I put on the miles, but am obviously not suffering it to the extent of you guys. That being said, maybe it's a difference in platforms (I'm on PS3), and a bit off a misunderstanding. The fact that @Loore says its something CM are looking into, proves to me I might be the anomaly here. Apologies...888888DDDDD......
No probs, at least you acknowledge this fact.
A troll perhaps wouldnt!

Goonertez said:
Purp...what we have been doing in the online/open servers, is using the loaner cars, but disabling tuning and upgrades.

infact i think the only differences made will be in the % health of the car you are driving and its mileage.

Good to hear there an easy way to get all players to race cars with the same setup. :)

The GAS playlists may die an early death, but I know where I can get a good race with some good players online. Now if I could get text chat, I would come join the old "gang" online. Or I'm going have to wait a month or 2 to find a good sale on GRID Autosport if there no text chat get patch in.

@ Driftalot....  I'm not disagreeing with you but Goonertez is spot on.

I also have a Cruze... not had it long, it's level 31, isn't even fully upgraded/tuned and has less than 1000 miles on the clock.  I've been in lobbys where I've started with my car at 100% , won the race without hitting anyone or anything and collected around 12000 in prize money.  Great... more money !!  Then I go to repair the car and having driven in one race its down to 90% and costs me around 14000 G to repair so it's just cost me 2000 G to run three laps.  

If we wish to run our own cars then most of the time it costs far more than you can win.  However, this isn't the case with loaner cars where the repair bill averages around 150 G for a lower class car.  So do we run our own cars at a loss or use loaners? One thing to note is that if you're in a team driving loaners won't count towards team xp so what is the point in having the team function if we can't afford to run our cars?

Yes, I realise we can make choices and drive cheap cars or loaners until we have enough to cover the repair bill for race in our own cars but at the end of the day a lot of people just want to get in and race and not have to worry about this.

Also not sure how it will effect the long term for this game.  Someone buying the game 6 months down the road from now will be at a real disadvantage trying to catch up both in terms of skill and bank balance.

I'm not saying Repairs should be got rid of full stop but they definitely need adjusting.

Purple44 said:
Goonertez said:

Good to hear there an easy way to get all players to race cars with the same setup. :)

The GAS playlists may die an early death, but I know where I can get a good race with some good players online. Now if I could get text chat, I would come join the old "gang" online. Or I'm going have to wait a month or 2 to find a good sale on GRID Autosport if there no text chat get patch in.
Playlists ugh...i cant understand why anybody [apart from the very casual gamer] would even want to do playlists.

custom cup all the way!

Forgot to mention... this issue is worse in custom cup.  Four of use were doing some races the other day and we all lost money running loaner cars.  Even the winner was losing around 1500G a time. 

You don't seem to get so much prize money in smaller lobbies so we agreed it was a waste of time and went back to the playlists.

Imagine real life motorspot... If a car manufacturer was told they could enter a new race series where they could  win £100,000 for a first place but they then worked out it would cost them £500,000 per race to run the car would they be interested in joining up?  I doubt it !!!!

Yes, I realise we can make choices and drive cheap cars or loaners until we have enough to cover the repair bill for race in our own cars but at the end of the day a lot of people just want to get in and race and not have to worry about this.

Also not sure how it will effect the long term for this game.  Someone buying the game 6 months down the road from now will be at a real disadvantage trying to catch up both in terms of skill and bank balance.

I'm not saying Repairs should be got rid of full stop but they definitely need adjusting.

This is not about if its "easier" just to not buy a car because you dont like to juggle the costs and stuff. Its just not really logical. If you wouldnt be able to make money from racing with sponsors and price money no one would bother with racing. If you buy this game later at a point where everybody already maxed the best car in every category you could still race with upgrades turned off.

As for the adjustment, i read it twice now on this forum just to link the repaircost do your "clean driving status" which is pretty much the best idea. It reward clean driving as much as possible and drive those crashkiddies into repaircost ruins.