Jump to content

The Confusing Car Name Thread: S1/E2, 22B/WRC etc…

Recommended Posts

Bumping for popularity since people are still calling Impreza WRC cars 22bs in Gossip 😄 

  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Bumping for popularity since people are still calling Impreza WRC cars 22bs in Gossip 😄 

you mean bumping for more as a hint of something is coming (soon)?? 😉

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sqdstr said:

you mean bumping for more as a hint of something is coming (soon)?? 😉

Nope 😄 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had to link someone on twitter to this thread. I will NOT lose this argument! Thank you @tbtstt!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jack4688 said:

I just had to link someone on twitter to this thread. I will NOT lose this argument! Thank you @tbtstt!

Ha! You're welcome @Jack4688, glad to help!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most people know and love it as the "22b" though, regardless of "official" naming (what does that even mean when Subaru themselves market it as 22b in plenty of places) it seems people have taken a liking in it's acquired nickname. I used to be on your side for this, but saying 22b sure smoothens the conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chukonu said:

Most people know and love it as the "22b" though, regardless of "official" naming (what does that even mean when Subaru themselves market it as 22b in plenty of places) it seems people have taken a liking in it's acquired nickname. I used to be on your side for this, but saying 22b sure smoothens the conversation.

It's a road car.  That's fine if they want to call the road going rally replica a rally car, but it's just a tribute special edition road car.  I guess it's like people calling magazines, clips, when clips are specifically another object....

 

Shrug, we'll likely get what they're saying and possibly (:D) accept it, but they need to know they're talking about road cars with a rally style, not a rally car.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 12:04 AM, PJTierney said:

Bumping for popularity since people are still calling Impreza WRC cars 22bs in Gossip 😄 

You learned it the hard way yourself, didn't you 😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So a little update for the thread with regards to the Subaru: something that has confused me in recent months is the recent trend to call the 1997 World Car "S3". This contradicts the period information I have, so I have been trying to prove (or disprove) the nomenclature: will update the original post accordingly when I have an answer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tbtstt said:

So a little update for the thread with regards to the Subaru: something that has confused me in recent months is the recent trend to call the 1997 World Car "S3". This contradicts the period information I have, so I have been trying to prove (or disprove) the nomenclature: will update the original post accordingly when I have an answer!

Further to my earlier post, I have now received a reply from an ex-Prodrive engineer and Impreza World Rally Car owner who has confirmed that Prodrive used "S5" for the WRC97, WRC98 and WRC99. I shall amend the original post accordingly and will add a bit more (useless) information to the "spare" post I left at the start of the thread!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So to sum up the Subarus we currently have/will have in Dirt Rally 2.0, lemme see if I've got this right:

Group A

  • Subaru Legacy S1 - McRae DLC
  • Subaru Impreza S3 (1995)

WRC

  • Subaru Impreza S5 WRC (1997/98/99) - McRae DLC
  • Subaru Impreza S7 WRC (2001)
  • Subaru Impreza S14 WRC (2008)

Group N

  • Subaru WRX STi NR4
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MattyH1812 said:

So to sum up the Subarus we currently have/will have in Dirt Rally 2.0, lemme see if I've got this right:

Group A

  • Subaru Legacy S1 - McRae DLC
  • Subaru Impreza S3 (1995)

WRC

  • Subaru Impreza S5 WRC (1997/98/99) - McRae DLC
  • Subaru Impreza S7 WRC (2001)
  • Subaru Impreza S14 WRC (2008)

Group N

  • Subaru WRX STi NR4

And the 2018 WRX from Rallycross.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PJTierney said:

And the 2018 WRX from Rallycross.

Which still needs the 2019 liveries :classic_tongue: (i know, i know, it not will happen)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on the one hand, I really hope that when the S5 is added to the game, it'll be called 22b in the files just to mess with certain people here.

 

on the other, it would only lead to more confusion and misinformation, and I'm not a fan of that. so maybe in the description of the car in-game it could say something like, "Subaru released a famous road-going imitation of this highly successful S5 rally car with a similar bodykit and larger engine called the 22B."

Edited by ianism

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2020 at 6:39 PM, ianism said:

on the one hand, I really hope that when the S5 is added to the game, it'll be called 22b in the files just to mess with certain people here.

That's cold... :classic_laugh:

On 2/1/2020 at 6:39 PM, ianism said:

on the other, it would only lead to more confusion and misinformation, and I'm not a fan of that. so maybe in the description of the car in-game it could say something like, "Subaru released a famous road-going imitation of this highly successful S5 rally car with a similar bodykit and larger engine called the 22B."

...words along those lines appear in the CM blog, so hopefully something similar will appear in game!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 22B line in the blog was a tribute to this thread and its nerdiness 😉 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there any plans for an in-game quiz on rally car nomenclature in tribute to @tbtstt and this brilliant thread? 😅

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if I told you the reference code for the S4 is 22B? 👀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

What if I told you the reference code for the S4 is 22B? 👀

I'm not angry @PJTierney... just disappointed. :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked the german version of the Wikipedia article about the Audi Sport Quattro and it seems they actually got it right. Even the Pikes Peak version is described as E2. I just wanted to check as Gran Turismo tweeted pics of that car and they just called it 'S1' and I went to spread the knowledge :classic_cool:

Edited by richie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PJTierney said:

What if I told you the reference code for the S4 is 22B? 👀

I wonder if calling the car the S4 is some cheeky way of getting around some licensing issue or other.... because as we now know, there was no S4 :classic_ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×