The Confusing Car Name Thread: S1/E2, 22B/WRC etc…

1 hour ago, MattyH1812 said:

I wonder if calling the car the S4 is some cheeky way of getting around some licensing issue or other.... because as we now know, there was no S4 :classic_ninja:

I think you'll find we use the word Rally on cars that normally use 3 letters 😄 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

The S5 and no S4 ever existing was literally only found and fully confirmed a week ago.  It was believed to be the S4 based on a negative of info we did know.

1 hour ago, MattyH1812 said:

I wonder if calling the car the S4 is some cheeky way of getting around some licensing issue or other.... because as we now know, there was no S4 :classic_ninja:

S4 has been used in the past, though it was only ever used to refer to the WRC97. The car they recorded audio for was, if I remember rightly, an WRC97, so I think that may be where it has comes from... 

...the car as it appears in the images/video though seems to be a WRC98 so, even by the "old" classifications, it should be an S5. 

Pretty sure they recorded P8 WRC which was a 97 car, the car is now owned by BGM  sport, Codemasters probably used a lot of their cars tbh.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, tonzboher said:

Pretty sure they recorded P8 WRC which was a 97 car, the car is now owned by BGM  sport, Codemasters probably used a lot of their cars tbh.

Yeah, I think it was P8 WRC. Do BGM Sport own that? I thought BGM ran it for Max Girardo?

(P8 WRC does have a 98 roof vent on it though)

8 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Yeah, I think it was P8 WRC. Do BGM Sport own that? I thought BGM ran it for Max Girardo?

(P8 WRC does have a 98 roof vent on it though)

Yes your right actually, they probably run most of the cars they have for the actual owners. Yes it does have the newer roof vent but it is defo a 97 car 

https://www.ewrc-results.com/carinfo/22-subaru-impreza-wrc-97-98/?spz=508&s=1997#start

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

@tbtstt  Posting this here for some posterity.  Nice to see more proof.  Thanks to Ryan Champion for this pic of a friends car.

ER_KbM7WoAAzdZ5.jpg

Edited by F2CMaDMaXX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent picture @F2CMaDMaXX. As you say, that is a superb bit of supporting evidence. Be really interesting to see if Ryan has any parts with an S3 prefix on his Impreza!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Excellent picture @F2CMaDMaXX. As you say, that is a superb bit of supporting evidence. Be really interesting to see if Ryan has any parts with an S3 prefix on his Impreza!

Mos likely, as you may have seen, he did confirm, his is an S3.

Edited by F2CMaDMaXX

3 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Mos likely, as you may have seen, he did confirm, his is an S3.

No, I haven't seen that! Is that on Facebook or elsewhere? 

22 hours ago, tbtstt said:

No, I haven't seen that! Is that on Facebook or elsewhere? 

See this thread.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2016 at 10:56 AM, tbtstt said:

At the end of 1984 a new FISA ruling meant that all further evolution models had to be identified by the letter "E". Thus, where the second evolution of the Audi Sport quattro would have been the Audi Sport quattro S2, it instead became the Audi Sport quattro E2...

...the term "S1E2" is incorrect as it is in direct contradiction to the FISA regulations of the era, plus it doesn't follow with the Audi system for classification of rally cars (consider the designations that Audi used for the evolutions of the original Group 4 UR quattro. I.e. “A1” and “A2”).

😛 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

😛 

I'm not angry @PJTierney, just disappointed... 😄 

• Haha 2