Sign in to follow this  

A question for Codemasters

Hello CM, it's good to have your community doors open once more. A question if I may?... How have the massive regulation changes for the 2014 season impacted you as the sports official game developers and as F1 fans? Are you excited about representing the changes? Do you feel that with the changes and the jump to next gen consoles it's a challenging year for the F1 game? I'd love to hear your thoughts although I'm very aware you can't go into details about the game. Many thanks, Mike.

Good questions Mgmikeyt. I'm sure we'll be able to answer them all eventually but right now we really can't talk about F1 2014 until it's announced later this year. I wish we could...

is it true there wont be a 2014 game? heard through the grapevine that there wont be another until 2015 is this true?

is it true there wont be a 2014 game? heard through the grapevine that there wont be another until 2015 is this true?
there will be a2014 game you don't have to worry about that they just haven't announced anything official because it's early yet but they are working on 2014

Don't worry, it's been confirmed.

Hatta said:

Q: Are you working on F1 2014?

A: Of course.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/283/#Comment_283

Hatta said:
Good questions Mgmikeyt. I'm sure we'll be able to answer them all eventually but right now we really can't talk about F1 2014 until it's announced later this year. I wish we could...
Not to be "that guy", but hasn't the talk about "announcing" F1 2014 essentially confirmed it's coming, thus negating the need to wait for an announcement? :D Good things come to those who wait, hopefully the announcement happens soon. I believe last year it was announced officially in June or July?

SynGamer said:
Hatta said:
Not to be "that guy", but hasn't the talk about "announcing" F1 2014 essentially confirmed it's coming, thus negating the need to wait for an announcement? :D Good things come to those who wait, hopefully the announcement happens soon. I believe last year it was announced officially in June or July?
Ha ok fair enough. Maybe I should have said 'until the full reveal.' 
You could talk about it, you just don't want to.
Of course I want to talk about it! I'd just be in big trouble if I did. :)

if 2014 is as bad as 2013 will cm continue making these games? seriously hatta do you think 2013 was a "good game"??
Can't comment on how long we'll be making F1 games for, that's out of my hands really. 

Yes I think F1 2013 was a good game. Is there more to be done? Of course, but I believe we're making good progress and have an understanding to what you guys want in the future.

What do you think makes F1 2013 a bad game?

Personnally I dont think it was a "bad" game by any means. Just found it very dissapointing how much was recycled content from 2012 and how support and bug fixes kinda spiraled down the toilet. Multiple attempts to fix some problems and some that were simply never resolved. Hoping to see a truly fresh look (menus,pits), hear fresh and improved voice overs and radio chat, more "functional" penalty system (no more penalty when rammed by AI), non-broken rubbering line on consoles and over all more polished title. If leaving out things like classic cars and tracks means more polish on the core game, then by all means leave that stuff out. Produce a slick title THEN provide the classics and extras via dlc. The last 2 years were great racers, polish would have made them legendary. In my opinion...

Ps. Beta testing has become a real possibilty on next gen consoles. Titanfall for example, let the community take some load and help sort out issues before the finished product hits shelves... speaking of which, please make sure it DOES hit shelves in NA. :)

Hatta said:
if 2014 is as bad as 2013 will cm continue making these games? seriously hatta do you think 2013 was a "good game"??
Can't comment on how long we'll be making F1 games for, that's out of my hands really. 

Yes I think F1 2013 was a good game. Is there more to be done? Of course, but I believe we're making good progress and have an understanding to what you guys want in the future.

What do you think makes F1 2013 a bad game?
Would love to know what you think what we want in the future.

Quattro7 said:
What consoles is F1 2014 being released on?

Hatta said:

I'd love to know what your definition of "bad" is.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that F1 2014 is released on PC, PS3, Xbox 360, and 80% chance of being released on PS4 and Xbox 1...

I'd love to know what your definition of "bad" is.
so would I in general the series is and has always been pretty solid the only thing I don't like about F1 2013 is it's steep learning curve as I still struggle with it now and use grip mods to help me I think the AI's aggression and speed needs turning down on the lower levels either that or a new lower leve4l on a par with the driving aids like what the previous games were  but aside from that I think it's a pretty solid game I've ended my career early on 2013 mostly because I realised I wasn't going to win a championship in that careerpartly down to it's difficulty and partly down to I think decisions I made in that career. For now though I've gone back to 2012 to try my luck there

Please please please change the 'Go To Track' mechanism for online races to match the ready/unready system in the lobby. Too many times races have been compromised by people hitting it too early.

For a way out there request - an option to output data similar to the dbox feed, but less frequent and less information. I have a website that creates charts from the race director screens using OCR (shameless plug - https://racingleaguecharts.com), and being able to do them with pure data would be awesome.

Hatta its bad online. the setups are bad, the handling is bad, the lap times are too fast=bad, the lag is bad, the achievements are bad, the leader board system is bad, the ai is bad especially in qualli blocking every single lap you try, equal car settings are bad, pace related to weather is bad, sheer amount of corner cutting is bad (even in the official codies league its allowed lol). I am pretty sure if 2013 was a good game then the original forums would still be here.  I honestly would like someone from codies to just stand up and say "yeah we made a bit of a mistake with 2013 and we are sorry we charged you 50 bucks to find that out" that's all, I don't want them to move heaven and earth or resign. The shame of it all is these are things being commented on since 2011 an awful lot of the same problems go unchanged or even worse change in a negative way making the game even more frustrating especially online. every other year im normally close to 1000 races online by now but im only just over 100 I just cant bring myself to play it consistently. last time I played I led an online race from pole until the flag (on my screen) yet when the race finalised at the end I finished 3rd with no penaltys, I must have been overtaken when I blinked or something like that lol clearly it annoyed me after 56 laps [-(

I can't comment on the online, I enjoyed offline enough that I seldom tried it. All games are going to have some lag but there have been enough complaints so it probably needs some work.
Setups do need to feel more effective. I seldom felt like going with max wing really slowed me down enough to matter.
I generally dissagree about handling. Perhaps a little physics improvement could be used but overall the game "felt" like driving an f1 car and not just another racing game.
I dont understand how fast laps can be bad or codies fault. If you had an exact simulator people will still run faster laps than real life simply because there is no physical exertion nor is fear a factor. So I dissagre there.
I dont know how achievements can be "bad" nor do I care. I dont need cookies for doing a good job I just want to enjoy the game.
Leaderboards are nice sometimes but really just more cookies.
AI blocking in qual could maybe be improved but really, just as in real racing its your responsibility to set your gaps and make sure you have room for a fast lap without being impeded.
AI do need to respond better to weather conditions and weather conditions in general need to work better.
Track boundries and penalties could use some work but you have to understand that penalties can be very subjective. Its hard for a piece of software to determine who's at fault for something. Did you go wide because you were pushed out or was it intentional? Did the car behind you late brake and put themselves at fault for ramming you or did you brake check them to trying to force a mistake putting you at fault? Hard for a program to know the difference.
No game is ever going to be perfect for everyone nor perfectly bug free. Are some of your complaints valid, sure. Do your complaints make the entire game bad? I dont think so.

If anybody think's this game is good after the patch, they need a cat scan. Using or building setups are bad there's no variety in them most people use stupid spring levels, high ride heights and stupid low wings.   

Hi CM can u tell us wen u can give info about the next f1 game thanks, hope its like 2010 but more closer to actuat f1 driver :)

Hi CM can u tell us wen u can give info about the next f1 game thanks, hope its like 2010 but more closer to actuat f1 driver :)
don't think we'll be seeing anything till  July at the earliest

Indeed, CM is ultra keen to ensure GRID Autosport gets as much attention as possible and so far I think it deserves it but we will see on June 27th (or 24th for those who are lucky).

They haven't typically said anything until around the time of the British GP in the past.