Sign in to follow this  

A question for Codemasters

Andi said:
Indeed, CM is ultra keen to ensure GRID Autosport gets as much attention as possible and so far I think it deserves it but we will see on June 27th (or 24th for those who are lucky).

They haven't typically said anything until around the time of the British GP in the past.
Exactly Autosport is their priority right now and based on what I've seen of the game it deserves time in the limelight as it looks like CM have put a lot of time and effort into reshaping Grid after Grid 2's failures I just hope that F1 has been given a similar revamp for 2014 because like Grid it did somewhat fail in it's objectives last year with  the exception of classics

daemun said:
I can't comment on the online, I enjoyed offline enough that I seldom tried it. All games are going to have some lag but there have been enough complaints so it probably needs some work.
Setups do need to feel more effective. I seldom felt like going with max wing really slowed me down enough to matter.
I generally dissagree about handling. Perhaps a little physics improvement could be used but overall the game "felt" like driving an f1 car and not just another racing game.
I dont understand how fast laps can be bad or codies fault. If you had an exact simulator people will still run faster laps than real life simply because there is no physical exertion nor is fear a factor. So I dissagre there.
I dont know how achievements can be "bad" nor do I care. I dont need cookies for doing a good job I just want to enjoy the game.
Leaderboards are nice sometimes but really just more cookies.
AI blocking in qual could maybe be improved but really, just as in real racing its your responsibility to set your gaps and make sure you have room for a fast lap without being impeded.
AI do need to respond better to weather conditions and weather conditions in general need to work better.
Track boundries and penalties could use some work but you have to understand that penalties can be very subjective. Its hard for a piece of software to determine who's at fault for something. Did you go wide because you were pushed out or was it intentional? Did the car behind you late brake and put themselves at fault for ramming you or did you brake check them to trying to force a mistake putting you at fault? Hard for a program to know the difference.
No game is ever going to be perfect for everyone nor perfectly bug free. Are some of your complaints valid, sure. Do your complaints make the entire game bad? I dont think so.
Ditto all that, spot on. People expect a perfect game, which is totally unrealistic.  There should be improvements every year trying to get closer to perfection, but it will never be reached, which is life.  2013 was a great game considering the complicated nature of real life F1, I don't think people understand that.  I just hope they can make improvements to the game while still tackling the tough task of an entirely new car and style of driving for 2014.  Fingers crossed...

I want to participate in a full race weekend for starters. Haven't played 2012 or 2013 as they were a couple of wet farts without full race weekends. 

I want to participate in a full race weekend for starters. Haven't played 2012 or 2013 as they were a couple of wet farts without full race weekends. 
I doubt 99% of players sat through all 3 practice sessions at every race weekend, CM were right to remove them.

Lukedfrt said:
I doubt 99% of players sat through all 3 practice sessions at every race weekend, CM were right to remove them.
I know I certainly don't I only generally do the practice sessions in 2012 and 2013 if there's an upgrade to earn

Lukedfrt said:
That's not an excuse to remove full race weekends.
In older games players who didn't want to play all 3 practice sessions could simply skip them, or select short race weekend with 1 practice session. 
Removing full race weekends won't make any difference for casual players but it does make the game less enjoyable for people looking for a more realistic experience. 
Having options that make the game enjoyable to as many players as possible is the way to go.

FS7 said:
Lukedfrt said:
In older games players who didn't want to play all 3 practice sessions could simply skip them, or select short race weekend with 1 practice session. 
Removing full race weekends won't make any difference for casual players but it does make the game less enjoyable for people looking for a more realistic experience. 
Having options that make the game enjoyable to as many players as possible is the way to go.
@FS7. Thank you for your constructive response.

@Lukedfrt. What a dumb comment blue! With them out, I'm out due to a lack of authenticity and a much less realistic experience. Having them in would not reduce or impact sales you would agree? You would still buy the game so you ain't got beef. I'm certain a very high percentage of players don't use cockpit cam or race 100% races. Do you think it's best they remove those options too? They keep going like this, then their F1 games will be 3 lap races starting from the back with no qually and a billion 10 year old kids happier than two pigs in s**t.

BTW. CM thought it best to remove cockpit view in G2 (thinking nobody used it in G1) only to reinstate it (half heartedly) in GAS thereby admitting they got it wrong.

FS7 said:
Lukedfrt said:
I agree that there should be an option for a full race weekend, but if i remember correctly CM said it 
FS7 said:
Lukedfrt said:

@Lukedfrt. What a dumb comment blue! With them out, I'm out due to a lack of authenticity and a much less realistic experience. Having them in would not reduce or impact sales you would agree? You would still buy the game so you ain't got beef. I'm certain a very high percentage of players don't use cockpit cam or race 100% races. Do you think it's best they remove those options too? They keep going like this, then their F1 games will be 3 lap races starting from the back with no qually and a billion 10 year old kids happier than two pigs in s**t.

BTW. CM thought it best to remove cockpit view in G2 (thinking nobody used it in G1) only to reinstate it (half heartedly) in GAS thereby admitting they got it wrong.
CM have said that having full race weekends in the game uses way too much memory that could be put to better use. 

This combined with the tiny percentage of players that actually used all 3 sessions means that it had to go. What game did it get taken out on? 2012? or 2011? I really can't remember but there wasn't massive uproar unlike with Grid and the cockpit view.

Lukedfrt said:
FS7 said:
Lukedfrt said:
I agree that there should be an option for a full race weekend, but if i remember correctly CM said it 
FS7 said:
Lukedfrt said:

CM have said that having full race weekends in the game uses way too much memory that could be put to better use. 

This combined with the tiny percentage of players that actually used all 3 sessions means that it had to go. What game did it get taken out on? 2012? or 2011? I really can't remember but there wasn't massive uproar unlike with Grid and the cockpit view.
It wsa 2012 where they ended full practice as it was there in both 10 and 11

If they think that to be the case then maybe CM should not have been granted the licence to produce a game based on only half a race weekend. 2010 - 11 both had full race weekends plus other features now missing. What do you see in 2012 - 2013 that show you more has been added to the game? Could it be that safety car no one hardly ever gets to see. I note that classic cars have been added to the 2013 game but those are not loaded into memory during a regular career event.

If they think that to be the case then maybe CM should not have been granted the licence to produce a game based on only half a race weekend. 2010 - 11 both had full race weekends plus other features now missing. What do you see in 2012 - 2013 that show you more has been added to the game? Could it be that safety car no one hardly ever gets to see. I note that classic cars have been added to the 2013 game but those are not loaded into memory during a regular career event.
maybe things will change once CM move over to the new consoles I wouldn't hold my breath but you never know.

So we've had 2 games without 3 practice sessions, and we have no uproar in comparison to the cockpit view on Grid 2. 

Can't see it coming back.

I really don't see a problem with only one practice session. You have the option to replay the session if you want the extra time.

Lukedfrt said:
So we've had 2 games without 3 practice sessions, and we have no uproar in comparison to the cockpit view on Grid 2. 

Can't see it coming back.
Neither can I. I was just saying you can never say never as things are constantly changing. I do hope that at least career mode gets a bit of an upgrade as it definitely needs it.

I agree with everyone's opinion that career mode could use something to make it interesting and fresh....but it is what it is. You are racing/qualifying/practicing on 90% of the same 19 or 20 tracks each year. It can't be all that fresh since it's the same. I really appreciated the Classic tracks/cars in the latest game, especially with their different handling characteristics. I also am enjoying the handling of this years cars better than any of the games so far. It is what I'd imagine the cars to handle like. Keep up the good work Codemasters. Hopefully the new game will be next-gen which will finally convince me to upgrade. And hopefully by then, someone will come out with an Xbox One steering wheel which sounds more reliable than the Thrustmaster.

I really don't see a problem with only one practice session. You have the option to replay the session if you want the extra time.

It's called Codemasters being lazy and trying to make their F1 games arcade games. The same goes with not having formation laps.