Jump to content Jump to content

Closing time 🙃

marioho

Forum closure timeline:

• January 2023 - Codemasters Forum enters read-only mode
  • February 2023 - Codemasters Forum closes

We've got our timeline now. Thought of making a post to track our profiles over the different forums we may find ourselves sharing our camaraderie, interest in the franchise, and love for the sport again. I guess the main candidates are:

If you guys could post your respective usernames, I'll keep editing this post and sort them out alphabetically.

CODEMASTERS | EA AHQ | GT PLANET

dwin20 - dwin20

marioho - mariohomoh; marioho

Honestly, this community has played an unexpectedly important role in both my enjoyment of the sport and the game. And some people here have become more than a bland internet username. It's been a pleasure, truly 🥰

Edited by marioho
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

• The title was changed to Closing time 🙃

This tastes bitter.

The codemaster forums have been part of my daily (simracing) routine since quite a while now (at least since F1 2019 if I am not mistaken), I learned so much here, I met so many nice guys, made some friends, found my way into our forum league racing series, and whatnot. The way these forums worked and were conducted was special: they were way less toxic, and a lot more constructive / helpful than other compareable places. Concerns and critique were well received and we had at least a chance to call the developers attention to our concerns. @BarryBL I will never forget your guys efforts here. Thus, I decided to keep going even when it was clear we would not get a F1 22 section here.

I cant deny that closing here makes sense, at least with all happening that happened, selling the company and all. Still, this feels similar to when they closed Nostalrius for all of us vanilla WoW freaks, somehow you knew your days would never be the same again 😞

EA answers will never be an alternative for what we had here, at least not for me. Farewell everybody, have a nice christmas and lets hope for a year better than the last two have been, worldwide. Not so sure I will manage to find one without you guys around... It has been an awesome ride, thanks everyone for everything.

schlappohr.jpg

Edited by Schneehase
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

@SchneehaseAlthough EA answers could never replace this site, it's still a place where we can communicate and discuss anything related F1. There are regulars who you are familiar with but I do think that the topics of discussion would be far more varied if you and @SmokyAtom07were to join and add your voices. It would be a shame to not see you guys make that move

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, TotosHeadphones said:

@SchneehaseAlthough EA answers could never replace this site, it's still a place where we can communicate and discuss anything related F1. There are regulars who you are familiar with but I do think that the topics of discussion would be far more varied if you and @SmokyAtom07were to join and add your voices. It would be a shame to not see you guys make that move

I have lurked once in a while at EA but I generally don't find it very helpful or interesting so I did not join and doubt I will.  This site was all right, much better than EA's.  If EA had any sense, they would just change the name of this site and keep it as the official game one.  

2 hours ago, jpr3324 said:

I have lurked once in a while at EA but I generally don't find it very helpful or interesting so I did not join and doubt I will.  This site was all right, much better than EA's.  If EA had any sense, they would just change the name of this site and keep it as the official game one.  

To be honest I can't disagree with you. It's missing a certain atmosphere and topics are predominantly about issues regarding the game. It's why people like yourself and others should join to add different perspectives and new topics

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It`s been a pleasure and an honour mates!

I'll do my best to keep up at EA but I have to say that I'm a little too grumpy and that place bores me AF 😇

2022 sucked to my family. My wife is fighting breast cancer and I have just underwent a surgery for skin cancer; we're both getting well but 2022 was heavy stuff - F1 (both races and gaming) and to be here talking about anything other than medicines, doctors, treatments and etc was a bliss. This kept my sanity. I may not be always in the best of moods but I enjoyed here quite a lot. Quite personal but is there a farewell which isn't? hehe

Cheers everyone, stay safe.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, dancrodrigues said:

It`s been a pleasure and an honour mates!

I'll do my best to keep up at EA but I have to say that I'm a little too grumpy and that place bores me AF 😇

2022 sucked to my family. My wife is fighting breast cancer and I have just underwent a surgery for skin cancer; we're both getting well but 2022 was heavy stuff - F1 (both races and gaming) and to be here talking about anything other than medicines, doctors, treatments and etc was a bliss. This kept my sanity. I may not be always in the best of moods but I enjoyed here quite a lot. Quite personal but is there a farewell which isn't? hehe

Cheers everyone, stay safe.

Hey, wishing you and your wife all the best with your treatment and recovery.

A means of escape is always important so shooting the breeze on forums is something that is perfect to do. Hopefully, we'll continue to see you on EA forums.

It's fine being grumpy. I have to use a lot of energy to not be grumpy on those boards too...and in life 😅

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Well, the title of the post has now got Semisonic stuck in my head. I'll now be humming that all day!    But, as they say, "every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end" 🎼...   I'm sure we'll find a way to adapt but change is always something people are uncomfortable with at first.  

On 12/12/2022 at 9:20 AM, TotosHeadphones said:

Ah, that's very kind of you.   I did get as far as creating an account but I just felt out of place. When I was contributing on here, it felt like a little holiday away from normal life and could have spirited discussions.  When I signed up over on EA; I read through a few posts and it felt more like i'd just walked into someone elses hotel room.  It may have got better and I'll give it another go in due course but when I last went it was just people saying "this game sucks!" but with no constructive ideas on how it could be made to not suck.

Plus, over the past two years, it's been harder to find places online where talking about F1 doesn't devolve into "Crashtappen Sucks!" and "Lulu was carried by the car!" even when the topic is nothing to do with either of them so i've lost quite abit of enthusiasm.   It seems more like trolling and memes are what people are looking for from their discussions now, which i'm fine with in moderation and when it's to accentuate a point they've made but mostly it's just people positing a random picture they find funny that inevitably derails a topic. 

On 12/12/2022 at 8:48 PM, dancrodrigues said:

2022 sucked to my family. My wife is fighting breast cancer and I have just underwent a surgery for skin cancer; we're both getting well but 2022 was heavy stuff

All the best on the recovery for you both. 🤞

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 12/12/2022 at 9:02 AM, TotosHeadphones said:

To be honest I can't disagree with you. It's missing a certain atmosphere and topics are predominantly about issues regarding the game. It's why people like yourself and others should join to add different perspectives and new topics

It is unbecoming to beg for people to join something, if EA wants to have an active community of users they would create a product that users of their games would want to be part of, from my POV they are not interested in an active community of users, hence why their on line communities pretty much suck.  I for one do not embrace the suck.

2 hours ago, jpr3324 said:

I for one do not embrace the suck.

That is fair, and legitimate.

However our intention here is to establish other venues where we as a community can hang out together.

If TotosHeadphones, KNT, Duck, Ultra, Schneehase, @Ialyrn (hey!)  etc happen to be posting on a given platform, hell yeah I'll be there too! I want to talk motorsports and have a laugh with my buddies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Administrator

I'm happy I decided to login today and check up.

As the last F1 Community Manager for these forums, maybe a short goodbye and 'see you around' makes sense. 

I just want to say thanks to everyone here I encountered, had a laugh with, worked on a issue with. These forums were an enormous part of my job here for a long time, and it was a lot of fun. We've had some more than crazy times here, and I hope I've at least contributed to making your experience more enjoyable, in whatever way that may be. As really, thats all that matters in truth. I've been a F1, and racing game fan, forever and to be able to speak to like-minded people and get paid to do so is something pretty special. So, thank you. Without everyone here, especially those I spoke to regularly, I wouldn't even be in this position in the first place, let alone get to know some wonderful people over our shared love of things with engines that go fast 

As 22 is crossplay now, maybe a final, Codemasters Forum League race is in order. A tribute, if you will. Thoughts on that?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, BarryBL said:

As 22 is crossplay now, maybe a final, Codemasters Forum League race is in order. A tribute, if you will. Thoughts on that?

Hey @BarryBL how nice to see you around!

I could not decide if I wanted to "like" your post, or if I would "agree", or if it made me "sad". Probably a bit of everything, so I ended up clicking "thanks" 😁

It would be an honor to join a race that you are part of (plus, racing nowadays in our former "forum league / steam" just is not the same without you, I bet the boys would be enthusiastic if you shouted on discord that you would want to join, be it only for 1 event). In any case, all the best and have a nice x-mas holiday.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2022 at 2:37 PM, marioho said:

We've got our timeline now. Thought of making a post to track our profiles over the different forums we may find ourselves sharing our camaraderie, interest in the franchise, and love for the sport again. I guess the main candidates are:

If you guys could post your respective usernames, I'll keep editing this post and sort them out alphabetically.

Honestly, this community has played an unexpectedly important role in both my enjoyment of the sport and the game. And some people here have become more than a bland internet username. It's been a pleasure, truly 🥰

@marioho Thanks for doing this - using the same... 

• Like 1

Thank you Codemasters, for all the fun, all the games, and all the time you gave us. You will forever be in our heart, no matter if the going gets tough...

I can't stop the course of time, but I do hope that someday, someday, you will break free from the chains of EA, reopen the forum, and go back to making amazing video games like F1 2020...

But for now, I do believe it is goodbye... 😭

• Administrator
18 hours ago, Schneehase said:

Hey @BarryBL how nice to see you around!

I could not decide if I wanted to "like" your post, or if I would "agree", or if it made me "sad". Probably a bit of everything, so I ended up clicking "thanks" 😁

It would be an honor to join a race that you are part of (plus, racing nowadays in our former "forum league / steam" just is not the same without you, I bet the boys would be enthusiastic if you shouted on discord that you would want to join, be it only for 1 event). In any case, all the best and have a nice x-mas holiday.

Surprised I still remember how to quote here, must be purely muscle memory 😛

I'll get to work trying to make it happen. Vote for a track, all fun. Sounds good to me 😄  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

I'll get to work trying to make it happen

You will need some practice, if you can come and join your old series tonight at 5pm, we are racing Bahrain and championship or not is not so important, because we are like some drivers less than in old times at the moment. Just be online on steam and we will get you in there, @UP100is running things ofc.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Schneehase said:

You will need some practice, if you can come and join your old series tonight at 5pm, we are racing Bahrain and championship or not is not so important, because we are like some drivers less than in old times at the moment. Just be online on steam and we will get you in there, @UP100is running things ofc.

Oh, ill need practice, but im at home today so wont happen im afraid as, if i did, ill be on xbox and controller. I'm not good on controller 😛 

• 2 weeks later...

It sad to hear the forums are closing those have been around the longest (I've been here since 2010) in different forms I remember the first F1 forums closing in 2012 & 2014 for a revamp. And creating a unofficial confirmed features topic on F1 2012

from what I've seen on trailers, interviews & demo builds at E3. I've loved spending what time I've had on here watching the forums grow down the years.

However I find the EA forums cluttered tad toxic & a very unforgiving place. I have no wish to create another profile again from scratch(this will be the fifth time). I will pop on there from time to time and read users posts I recognise.

Thanks for everything on here. It's been one hell of a ride✌️ 

Edited by Chromatic
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

It was a pleasure to spend time with Codemasters. Thank you for all the fun, games, and time. The love we have for you will never fade, no matter how hard the going gets...

Despite the lack of control over time, I hope you will one day break free from EA, reopen the forum, and go back to making amazing video games wordle spanish...

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 7:28 AM, Ialyrn said:

Going to miss these forums

There will be a day, when my daily routine to go to these forums will end with a 404. Cant fathom that, still. Hard enough noone seems eager to play the F1 22 any more, so we also had to end the "forum championship" racing series. Bummer.

/wave

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Schneehase said:

There will be a day, when my daily routine to go to these forums will end with a 404. Cant fathom that, still. Hard enough noone seems eager to play the F1 22 any more, so we also had to end the "forum championship" racing series. Bummer.

/wave

I'm also waiting for that moment where the page no longer becomes resolvable and it's just a sad white screen with the error message.  I must admit my visits are no longer daily as everyone appears to have vacated here already but i'm popping in every few days or so. 

Weirdly, quite often i'd come on here during a day and then that would usually give me a desire to play that years representative F1 game (I first started reading here about 7-8 years ago now) but this year since the forum has died, my desire to play the game has also died and i've barely touched this years after the first few months. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3