Sign in to follow this  

GRID Autosport - An honest review

Everytime I read a codemasters game thread someone mentions toca 2 or toca 3.  I just dont see why they just dont HD it and resell it to us.  I know I would buy it.

MarkVenom said:

Original GRID was a game that defined the whole generation. The half of original dev team is probably gone :), so what did you expect? 

And i like handling, after G2, it feels nice. And i've learned how to deal with little bit of understeer.

What I expected was Grid 1 in a new look with multiplayer co-op ala co-op championships in the F1 series of games-not a game that has a sha;low gameplay and non-rewarding feel. Its not fun if there is no purpose. A lot of features were stripped from single player also and the cockpit view is a joke in comparison to ANY other game let alone their OWN work from 6 years ago. If they cannot deliver that they may as well close doors. Sorry dude.
Hey mark why is it if someone has a different opinion than you its like u try and say there opinion is wrong . BTW your thread should be titled grid autosport my opinion not an honest review. All u do is troll every thread and tell people there wrong or if they happen to agree with you there all right to you, but u obviously like confrontation. Otherwise you would put your tail between your legs and just disappear. Believe us we wouldn't miss your negativity. Have a good day , even tho I'm sure were not finished here.
You are the one trolling here as far as I am concerned. Stop being so obsessed with what I do and care about your own pile, will ya? Thanks. 

P.S.: This forum is for exchange of thoughts. I also fail to see where you take the idea from that I say that someone is wrong having a different opinion. I never said anything even remotely. I think you read things into it that don't exist. And what you call negativity is what I call critical. You are probably calling someone pedantic when they try to be precise if you actually understand what I am saying. I have my doubts. So don't come onto this thread telling lies.

My honest opinion is that GAS is the best Codemaster's game the last years ! (yes including Grid 1) 
Cause the handling of GAS is more like Toca 3 , plus the game has beautiful graphics , many tracks , many classes of cars and cars ... 
Grid 1 i one of my most favorite racing games ever too... But it had not so much content as GAS and Toca 3 (less tracks , cars) 
This is just my opinion !
Oh yeah I can see value that opinion. The overall game is too thin for my taste. But taste is something not worth agueing about. Have fun with GAS mate.

@MarkVENOM

I too have been a gamer since Colecovision Adam with steering wheel and car game in 1981 quickly followed by C64, Amiga etc. etc. - and I have been obsessed at times with gaming and in particular any and all racing games  - Pitstop II consumed me for countless hours as did Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix on Amiga then my first PC - it's a hobby and far less harmless / safe than many. At the time those race games were the pinnacle of entertainment and I absolutely loved them !

BUT ... everything you say and I say, whatever is only our OPINION !  It is NOT fact but you state things like they are indisputable facts and that is where the argument begins and ends because it is circular and never settles.  

This racing game is very very good despite some niggles IN MY OPINION,  in yours it is not but that is that, so please accept you are not the final authority on the defining of game greatness.

Also keep in mind that many people with families and lives put countless hours into creating this,  much of their time was probably unpaid or not paid sufficiently knowing how the gaming industry sometimes works etc. etc. Yeah there are bugs / problems and shortcomings but there is also some tremendous fun which makes a gamer feel so happy & alive with grin ear to ear, all within this racing game.... so sad you cannot find that and enjoy it, really !

Perpective my Friend,  perspective.  Good Luck in finding that elusive perfect gaming product as it never will exist except in the fantasy or belief of he / she who enjoys it and believes it to be so.

I have not said all this to fight or argue with you but maybe for you to see why other people do not share your opinion, because it is an insult to accuse someone that they only settle for sub-par products and that transposes to other areas of life ... nonsense !

I am replaying Grid 2 with tweaked convergence in 3D until GAS is patched - and having alot of fun :D  cheers RJ

@MarkVENOM

I too have been a gamer since Colecovision Adam with steering wheel and car game in 1981 quickly followed by C64, Amiga etc. etc. - and I have been obsessed at times with gaming and in particular any and all racing games  - Pitstop II consumed me for countless hours as did Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix on Amiga then my first PC - it's a hobby and far less harmless / safe than many. At the time those race games were the pinnacle of entertainment and I absolutely loved them !

BUT ... everything you say and I say, whatever is only our OPINION !  It is NOT fact but you state things like they are indisputable facts and that is where the argument begins and ends because it is circular and never settles.  

This racing game is very very good despite some niggles IN MY OPINION,  in yours it is not but that is that, so please accept you are not the final authority on the defining of game greatness.

Also keep in mind that many people with families and lives put countless hours into creating this,  much of their time was probably unpaid or not paid sufficiently knowing how the gaming industry sometimes works etc. etc. Yeah there are bugs / problems and shortcomings but there is also some tremendous fun which makes a gamer feel so happy & alive with grin ear to ear, all within this racing game.... so sad you cannot find that and enjoy it, really !

Perpective my Friend,  perspective.  Good Luck in finding that elusive perfect gaming product as it never will exist except in the fantasy or belief of he / she who enjoys it and believes it to be so.

I have not said all this to fight or argue with you but maybe for you to see why other people do not share your opinion, because it is an insult to accuse someone that they only settle for sub-par products and that transposes to other areas of life ... nonsense !

I am replaying Grid 2 with tweaked convergence in 3D until GAS is patched - and having alot of fun :D  cheers RJ

Well spoken friend. It was not my intent to come across as 'the only gaming authority'-that is just nonsense. But I apologise if people take it that way. To my defense let me point out though, that I find it is an issue when a company like codemasters produces a product that is GAMEPLAY wise shallow (we are talking offline-single player here)compared to a game they produced 6 years ago. Let's just leave the technical shortcomings and possible explanations out of it. 
I am fully aware we are talking opinion here and I NEVER EVER stated otherwise. The title of 'honest review' suggests it is a review not bought buy a company like so many commercial reviews are. 

I am missing sorely the AI a Geoff Crammond produced. I miss the days when companies took pride in their games and developed until they knew it is done. And whilst I can see why CM wanted to release this quickly I also believe it would have served them better to work a little longer on it to have the niggles out of it. Another 4 months would not have hurt anyone. The only reason I can see why they rushed it though is the fact that F1 2014 is due around September and they want to make sure to get the most revenue from both and not releasing products that compete with each other.

My biggest grievance is clearly that monetary interest lowers the overall quality of the product.

You said: 'Perpective my Friend,  perspective.  Good Luck in finding that elusive perfect gaming product as it never will exist except in the fantasy or belief of he / she who enjoys it and believes it to be so.'

My answer is a recite of the original post: 'All in all considered I felt I needed to review my own stance and analyse what I could do to help CodeMasters making the games I actually want to play.'

Now without argueing here. I feel a little misunderstood and some folks carrying statements from other threads over into this one. This a. not appropriate and b. unfair. 
I tried hard to be as objective as possible describing my impressions and PERSONAL judgement of this game that is merely all there is.

I do not argue about taste and/or opinion. But when I have the feeling that the one-eyed is showing the blind where to go as in the case of the gentlemen V8R3L3NTL3SS1 and sjsharp2010 then I can indeed loose it a little. 

Telling CM how well they did when in reality there are good things AND bad things then those need to be pointed out.

Lastly let me point out, that I truly appreciate your tone, non abusiveness, inherent patience and well meaning of your post.

I hope you take this explanation in the same fashion.

Greetings

Everytime I read a codemasters game thread someone mentions toca 2 or toca 3.  I just dont see why they just dont HD it and resell it to us.  I know I would buy it.
Would cost a fortune to track down and buy all those licences again these days, and some of them probably aren't even available any more.

Total waste of me f'n money!!!

I hope you codies realize now that all the bitching from the less than 5% of players who were complaining about the 'feel' of Grid 2, were actually just Forza and GranTurismo employees trying to confuse you.  You have always had a winning physics model.  All the way back from the TOCA days. While others were trying to accurately mimic real life conditions from a computer, it was apparent that you guys were racers that *already* knew how a car handles at speed, giving you the clear advantage in development.  Contrary to what the few haters couldn't shut up about, I honestly didn't find the handling in Grid 2 that much of a divergence from 1.  Alas, you fell for their schemes and created this debauchery of a game in hopes of silencing them.  This was the classic 'divide and conquer': dividing you from your real fans.  Hope the sales of Autosport will make you realize your mistake in kowtowing to the inbreeding minority (5%).    

Wow !   I really liked the fun slides in Grid2 but actually after getting further into Autosport I like the handling more and the racing is certainly close and competitive ( HARD ).

Did you go far in the career before you gave up on it ?

Total waste of me f'n money!!!

I hope you codies realize now that all the bitching from the less than 5% of players who were complaining about the 'feel' of Grid 2, were actually just Forza and GranTurismo employees trying to confuse you.  You have always had a winning physics model.  All the way back from the TOCA days. While others were trying to accurately mimic real life conditions from a computer, it was apparent that you guys were racers that *already* knew how a car handles at speed, giving you the clear advantage in development.  Contrary to what the few haters couldn't shut up about, I honestly didn't find the handling in Grid 2 that much of a divergence from 1.  Alas, you fell for their schemes and created this debauchery of a game in hopes of silencing them.  This was the classic 'divide and conquer': dividing you from your real fans.  Hope the sales of Autosport will make you realize your mistake in kowtowing to the inbreeding minority (5%).    
Interesting you say that mate. Because I felt the same. I actually liked how it drove/drives-just thought the game around it was too thin and unrewarding. Which is EXACTLY my main complaint about GAS. The game is too thin and unrewarding. I feel not compelled to continue my SP career at all. (not interested in online bashfests) And yes the physics are a matter of taste I think. I liked Grid 2 better than GAS as well. With a wheel  it never felt like a sliding fest to me tbh. But meh......simcades are weird beasts. 

But I am not to worried about how the games play driving wise. Codies gets that pretty right each time tbh. However I want more depth in the game itself. Not just some strung up races to get more races and stuff......this is just plain dumb. Only thing missing is the overlay 'insert coin to continue' if you get my drift.

And another thing.  REAL fans don't spend their days relentlessly bombarding forums; they're actually PLAYING the games.  I know that's my intention when I blow my hard earned money. 

Huh !?  You really are an angry ant ...  I don't "bombard" forums as you put it,  I am actually at work and like to frequent race forums when I get a moment, and PLAY the game at home in-between my other homely duties LOL :D

And another thing.  REAL fans don't spend their days relentlessly bombarding forums; they're actually PLAYING the games.  I know that's my intention when I blow my hard earned money. 
@RogerRamjet77: I am not sure he meant you mate. I think he talks about the apparent 'divide & conquer' posts back in Grid 2 days.

@bruteforce77: Not sure I agree with above statement. I count myself as one of the hardcore fans of CM. I bought so pretty much everything apart from GAS. Only used a friends' copy for a few days to be able to check it out as I did not want to burned again.
Thing is this: I am so hardcore a CM fan, that I actually feel left in the rain by the devs-taking it almost personal sometimes-thus the underlying emotion in SOME of my posts. If CM does not realise this then there is not much hope anyway. I just would like to see them taking more pride in the product and honoring return customers rather than trying to please the hopelessly outdated console crowd. If anyone takes offense then so be it. Fact remains: Games should be developed for sheer quality and therefore on the PC and then being ported to consoles-NOT the other way around. What they are doing right now is deving for consoles (as is cheaper) and then delivering shallow gameplay to the PC. Why? It's obvious. Consoles have not enough CPU power(not even next-gen)to accurately calculate a full track in real time with 16-30 cars and at the same time have high graphical fidelity. So in order to make it look nice they need to cut back on game modes-game functionality and said AI calculations. This leaves them with only one option for a decent experience: Online multiplayer with NO AI. 

This crap's gotta stop. Again: if CM would opt for a kickstarter attempt to fund a new franchise(or remake of an older one) I will gladly pay loads. Why? Because I know the focus is quality and heck - I KNOW Codies can create fabulous games IF monetary interests play the 2nd fiddle.

MarkVenom said:

@RogerRamjet77: I am not sure he meant you mate. I think he talks about the apparent 'divide & conquer' posts back in Grid 2 days.

@bruteforce77: Not sure I agree with above statement. I count myself as one of the hardcore fans of CM. I bought so pretty much everything apart from GAS. Only used a friends' copy for a few days to be able to check it out as I did not want to burned again.
Thing is this: I am so hardcore a CM fan, that I actually feel left in the rain by the devs-taking it almost personal sometimes-thus the underlying emotion in SOME of my posts. If CM does not realise this then there is not much hope anyway. I just would like to see them taking more pride in the product and honoring return customers rather than trying to please the hopelessly outdated console crowd. If anyone takes offense then so be it. Fact remains: Games should be developed for sheer quality and therefore on the PC and then being ported to consoles-NOT the other way around. What they are doing right now is deving for consoles (as is cheaper) and then delivering shallow gameplay to the PC. Why? It's obvious. Consoles have not enough CPU power(not even next-gen)to accurately calculate a full track in real time with 16-30 cars and at the same time have high graphical fidelity. So in order to make it look nice they need to cut back on game modes-game functionality and said AI calculations. This leaves them with only one option for a decent experience: Online multiplayer with NO AI. 

This crap's gotta stop. Again: if CM would opt for a kickstarter attempt to fund a new franchise(or remake of an older one) I will gladly pay loads. Why? Because I know the focus is quality and heck - I KNOW Codies can create fabulous games IF monetary interests play the 2nd fiddle.
Actually, no, it's even more simple than that. If you look at and believe the charts console games for Grid 2 outsold PC games by a factor of 10.

my guess is it is the console games that susidise the PC dev, not the other way round. If the sales were on PC alone the game would never happen. What is surprising IMO is not that CM caters so well for the PC, but why they bother at all. If you are a business you go where the money is.

Your crowdfunding idea is interesting. I do think the "traditional" model of games development is under pressure, but you could argue that crowdfunding is just smoke and mirrors. When you look beneath the surface its no different from the current traditional models, you are just effectively paying for the next game, not the one that you actually fund (as you will never go for another if the first one turns out to be rubbish). Nice for the accountants cash flow of course.

Anyway, discussion of cm business model does not belong here. Maybe you should start a discussion in the Codemasters in general forum and see whether other people support your crowdfunding ideas.

Edit :

IF monetary interests play the 2nd fiddle

Learn to live in the real world. Montary interests are always ultimately primary. People can't live on air. Not focusing on the cash is a good way to go out of business. Forever. And that way you never get another game like you want, whereas at the moment there is at least a chance you might.

dirt3joe said:
MarkVenom said:

Actually, no, it's even more simple than that. If you look at and believe the charts console games for Grid 2 outsold PC games by a factor of 10.

my guess is it is the console games that susidise the PC dev, not the other way round. If the sales were on PC alone the game would never happen. What is surprising IMO is not that CM caters so well for the PC, but why they bother at all. If you are a business you go where the money is.

Your crowdfunding idea is interesting. I do think the "traditional" model of games development is under pressure, but you could argue that crowdfunding is just smoke and mirrors. When you look beneath the surface its no different from the current traditional models, you are just effectively paying for the next game, not the one that you actually fund (as you will never go for another if the first one turns out to be rubbish). Nice for the accountants cash flow of course.

Anyway, discussion of cm business model does not belong here. Maybe you should start a discussion in the Codemasters in general forum and see whether other people support your crowdfunding ideas.

Edit :

IF monetary interests play the 2nd fiddle

Learn to live in the real world. Montary interests are always ultimately primary. People can't live on air. Not focusing on the cash is a good way to go out of business. Forever. And that way you never get another game like you want, whereas at the moment there is at least a chance you might.
Excellent idea. I shall start a poll to see how well received a 'crowdfunding/kickstarter' model would be. *off to start the poll*

P.S.: As for the 10:1 ratio. This is actually not factual anymore. Steam subscriptions have surpassed Live subscriptions substantially in the past 18 months. Totalling now 75 million. So to say the PC market is not viable is not true.

POLL NOW LIVE AT:

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/1579/what-do-you-think-about-crowdfunding-another-cm-development#latest

MarkVenom said:

Hi everyone,

Usually I am known for rather flaming comments and remarks. I even received a few warnings in the past for being 'too honest'. Perhaps the tone I chose back then was a little under the belt line for some to stomach and I also never hold back if someone picks a fight with me verbally on forums. All in all considered I felt I needed to review my own stance and analyse what I could do to help CodeMasters making the games I actually want to play.

As you can imagine by now-I would not go through all this effort in typing this up if Grid Autosport was a game I want to play or find rewarding.

I would simply leave a post somewhere commending CM for what they achieved. Now before I go into my review of Grid Autosport please keep in mind, that I am coming to my conclusions after playing CM games since close to a decade and racing games/sims since around 20 years. This IS important as it presents a viewpoint, which does not allow for a 'reset' of expectations.

Meaning: When a young kid nowadays sees Grid Autosport and has nothing or very little to compare it to he/she may say: Wow-this is great! However this is not the benchmark and never should be. Games' quality should be based on what has been there before and what does a new game deliver, which a predecessor did not. And let me be frank: Other than a few shinnies there is NOTHING new or rewarding here.

But let me begin my review and leave the conclusions to the end - please bear with me as this is a bit of a read. And CodeMasters please read this carefully or I fear your games will become worse and worse in my opinion.

GRID Autosport Review:

-----------------------------------

1. The game's goal/Gameplay

Codemasters set out to rectify the letdown fans of the Grid series felt when Grid2 was released. Grid2 was rather shallow. Technically it was ok, but physics were too simple, FFB did not work correctly, career mode was non-rewarding and it had not really anything in common with Racedriver Grid. Jeez, there was not even an in-car/cockpit view. Many felt, that Codemasters betrayed what once upon a time (6 years ago) set standards for simcades. The game itself was kind of enjoyable to drive but the gameplay outside the track was shallow and dull. Way too thin. Grid1 had an awesome career mode-you could have your own team, purchase cars to your liking (once earned), negotiate sponsor packs that would find a way to the livery of your car(s), hire teammates from list of applicants (each with special abilities in different disciplines), there was a ladder of teams in single player where one would try to climb up slowly over the years, cars could be painted-creating a team identification-simply superb. It had depth, meaning, feel of reward and longevity. It had it all gameplay wise. 

What does Grid Autosport recoup from all of the above? The answer is sad and simple: NOTHING

Again keep in mind where the TRUE comparison needs to be made: Grid Autosport in comparison with Racedriver GRID and NOT Grid2. If compared with Racedriver Grid the career mode of GA is simply put a complete joke. Given certain features seem to showcase in online play and multiplayer race clubs, but....I for one don't want to play online. I just want a proper single player game I can race here and there after work with depth, intelligence and feeling of reward. This so far off the mark I truly cannot believe it.

Rating: 2/10 (only because I can choose what to race in career-otherwise it would have been 0-1/10)

2. Graphics:

Nice. Well done. I do like the graphics. What I do not like though is stuff like flicker in night races with smoke shadows turned on and such. Reminds of the days of flicker in the rain in your F1 series titles. Execution with bugs like this is rather poor-given (again remember expectation based on the past) you are working the more or less same graphics engine since 6 years (?).

Other than that the presentation is mighty fine though. NVidia already has good driver for it as well. So-not too bad here.

THEN I finally was able to use cockpit view again. Like many other wheel users I prefer cockpit mode, and since Codies announced it as broadly as a 'we listen to you' feature I was REALLY looking forward to it. What a shock. All you see is a juggled up blurry excuse of a dashboard, wheel, hands and display (which is completely blacked out). In actual fact I think I downloaded the Grid2 cockpit mod from RaceDepartment that looked almost identical. Please for the love of god all those saying this not so bad check out cockpit view images of Grid1 from 2008! This is completely unacceptable. Almost worse are the mirrors! Since years CM has not managed to create, proper, functional rear view mirrors. All of this destroys the immersion almost instantaneously. Why is that so hard? A shame. It really is. It leaves a bitter taste of an otherwise so brilliant presentation.

Rating: 4/10 (with PROPER cockpit view AND mirrors easily 8-9/10)

3. Sound:

Nice touch with the ambience. Nice touch with the selection of info I can get from the engineer. Engine sounds - still dull and uninspiring. For once I would love to hear a decent engine sound in a game. Seems untouched-no one can do it it seems.

Rating 7/10 - it does the job ok

4. Controls/FFB

FFB is a complete joke. Either it clips fidelity due to settings being too high-or you don't feel anything because FFB is set too low. I tried to dial in my Fanatec kit (CSW and CSP) for at least two hours to find a setting with which I could really feel loss of grip and weight distribution, but to no avail. Control coding in a game of this nature (for any game really) has to be paramount. Yet CM treats wheel users like an unwanted cousin. Glad you actually allow us to use a wheel. Thank you for that.

Rating: 2/10 - a clear step back from FFB implemented in F1 2013 although the road rumble was ok.

5. Physics

Now it gets interesting and very short: simply the worst I have driven in years. Period. The cars understeer when they should oversteer and vice versa (especially noticeable on fast straights with strong steering inputs-try it yourselves you'll see). I understand this is a simcade, but that does not mean cars should behave wrongly-they should behave correctly but a little more forgiving. And that is all there is to physics. They are wrong all-round - end of story. Last example I give is: Open wheeler with massive rear wing drifting......that DOES NOT HAPPEN!

Rating: 1/10 (should be ZERO really)

6. AI

Oh wow-from bad to worse. AI is still rubber-banding like they did years ago. Must be a feature not a bug it seems? I personally hate this and it does not help the immersion one bit. On top of that the AI tries more often than not to simply kill you when racing. They are not aggressive-they are STUPID!

No true race driver would ever take the risks like this AI. Ok it is a game and we need to have a balance between real and fun, but this is not fun guys. It would appear as if CM is simply taking the stance of: Multiplayer is what makes this game great. Give me the option-do not force me to do something I don’t want to or cannot do. Why bother having the AI in the first place then?

I should be to provide a challenge on a racetrack not to fight with them for survival-wrong genre.

Sorry, but this is not fun. (For me)

Rating: 1/10 (because they race ya-back to the basics huh?)

7. Final thoughts

With a lot of things CM needs to go back to the drawing board before another poor game gets released. When I say ‘poor’ I do not mean that there is no joy whatsoever. What I am trying to say is that this franchise has enormous potential left untouched or ignored. If you would have remade Grid1 with the new graphics of Autosport and left the gameplay unchanged bar the addition of a multiplayer co-op team and some elements of the racing clubs you would have had a 8/10 winner.

The way it is right now you will be driving a lot of old, long standing customers out of the house to invite seemingly unwitting and mediocre gameplay accepting crowds in. Is this the way CM wants to continue? Taking no pride in your products? Releasing them clearly too early and then charging a full AAA price? I hope this is not the case and you take my review serious. Bigger than a fan of Grid I am a fan of F1. If this is the style in which you will approach F1 2014 I can only shudder and better lose all excitement about its release just to prevent utter disappointment. Because in the F1 series the same thing applies: First game not technically the best, but ‘Live the Life’ was a cool yet somewhat unfinished and super-immersive feature and made F1 2010 for single players the best game out of the lot in my opinion. Why? Because it had meaning or it kept the illusion alive that it had meaning.

Either or the result of it all was a feeling of reward when playing the game, just like Grid1.

Grid Autosport has nothing of that.

Overall rating: 4/10

Have a great day and cross fingers for F1 2014. Autosport uninstall complete-signing off. 

MarkVenom said:

Hi everyone,

Usually I am known for rather flaming comments and remarks. I even received a few warnings in the past for being 'too honest'. Perhaps the tone I chose back then was a little under the belt line for some to stomach and I also never hold back if someone picks a fight with me verbally on forums. All in all considered I felt I needed to review my own stance and analyse what I could do to help CodeMasters making the games I actually want to play.

As you can imagine by now-I would not go through all this effort in typing this up if Grid Autosport was a game I want to play or find rewarding.

I would simply leave a post somewhere commending CM for what they achieved. Now before I go into my review of Grid Autosport please keep in mind, that I am coming to my conclusions after playing CM games since close to a decade and racing games/sims since around 20 years. This IS important as it presents a viewpoint, which does not allow for a 'reset' of expectations.

Meaning: When a young kid nowadays sees Grid Autosport and has nothing or very little to compare it to he/she may say: Wow-this is great! However this is not the benchmark and never should be. Games' quality should be based on what has been there before and what does a new game deliver, which a predecessor did not. And let me be frank: Other than a few shinnies there is NOTHING new or rewarding here.

But let me begin my review and leave the conclusions to the end - please bear with me as this is a bit of a read. And CodeMasters please read this carefully or I fear your games will become worse and worse in my opinion.

GRID Autosport Review:

-----------------------------------

1. The game's goal/Gameplay

Codemasters set out to rectify the letdown fans of the Grid series felt when Grid2 was released. Grid2 was rather shallow. Technically it was ok, but physics were too simple, FFB did not work correctly, career mode was non-rewarding and it had not really anything in common with Racedriver Grid. Jeez, there was not even an in-car/cockpit view. Many felt, that Codemasters betrayed what once upon a time (6 years ago) set standards for simcades. The game itself was kind of enjoyable to drive but the gameplay outside the track was shallow and dull. Way too thin. Grid1 had an awesome career mode-you could have your own team, purchase cars to your liking (once earned), negotiate sponsor packs that would find a way to the livery of your car(s), hire teammates from list of applicants (each with special abilities in different disciplines), there was a ladder of teams in single player where one would try to climb up slowly over the years, cars could be painted-creating a team identification-simply superb. It had depth, meaning, feel of reward and longevity. It had it all gameplay wise. 

What does Grid Autosport recoup from all of the above? The answer is sad and simple: NOTHING

Again keep in mind where the TRUE comparison needs to be made: Grid Autosport in comparison with Racedriver GRID and NOT Grid2. If compared with Racedriver Grid the career mode of GA is simply put a complete joke. Given certain features seem to showcase in online play and multiplayer race clubs, but....I for one don't want to play online. I just want a proper single player game I can race here and there after work with depth, intelligence and feeling of reward. This so far off the mark I truly cannot believe it.

Rating: 2/10 (only because I can choose what to race in career-otherwise it would have been 0-1/10)

2. Graphics:

Nice. Well done. I do like the graphics. What I do not like though is stuff like flicker in night races with smoke shadows turned on and such. Reminds of the days of flicker in the rain in your F1 series titles. Execution with bugs like this is rather poor-given (again remember expectation based on the past) you are working the more or less same graphics engine since 6 years (?).

Other than that the presentation is mighty fine though. NVidia already has good driver for it as well. So-not too bad here.

THEN I finally was able to use cockpit view again. Like many other wheel users I prefer cockpit mode, and since Codies announced it as broadly as a 'we listen to you' feature I was REALLY looking forward to it. What a shock. All you see is a juggled up blurry excuse of a dashboard, wheel, hands and display (which is completely blacked out). In actual fact I think I downloaded the Grid2 cockpit mod from RaceDepartment that looked almost identical. Please for the love of god all those saying this not so bad check out cockpit view images of Grid1 from 2008! This is completely unacceptable. Almost worse are the mirrors! Since years CM has not managed to create, proper, functional rear view mirrors. All of this destroys the immersion almost instantaneously. Why is that so hard? A shame. It really is. It leaves a bitter taste of an otherwise so brilliant presentation.

Rating: 4/10 (with PROPER cockpit view AND mirrors easily 8-9/10)

3. Sound:

Nice touch with the ambience. Nice touch with the selection of info I can get from the engineer. Engine sounds - still dull and uninspiring. For once I would love to hear a decent engine sound in a game. Seems untouched-no one can do it it seems.

Rating 7/10 - it does the job ok

4. Controls/FFB

FFB is a complete joke. Either it clips fidelity due to settings being too high-or you don't feel anything because FFB is set too low. I tried to dial in my Fanatec kit (CSW and CSP) for at least two hours to find a setting with which I could really feel loss of grip and weight distribution, but to no avail. Control coding in a game of this nature (for any game really) has to be paramount. Yet CM treats wheel users like an unwanted cousin. Glad you actually allow us to use a wheel. Thank you for that.

Rating: 2/10 - a clear step back from FFB implemented in F1 2013 although the road rumble was ok.

5. Physics

Now it gets interesting and very short: simply the worst I have driven in years. Period. The cars understeer when they should oversteer and vice versa (especially noticeable on fast straights with strong steering inputs-try it yourselves you'll see). I understand this is a simcade, but that does not mean cars should behave wrongly-they should behave correctly but a little more forgiving. And that is all there is to physics. They are wrong all-round - end of story. Last example I give is: Open wheeler with massive rear wing drifting......that DOES NOT HAPPEN!

Rating: 1/10 (should be ZERO really)

6. AI

Oh wow-from bad to worse. AI is still rubber-banding like they did years ago. Must be a feature not a bug it seems? I personally hate this and it does not help the immersion one bit. On top of that the AI tries more often than not to simply kill you when racing. They are not aggressive-they are STUPID!

No true race driver would ever take the risks like this AI. Ok it is a game and we need to have a balance between real and fun, but this is not fun guys. It would appear as if CM is simply taking the stance of: Multiplayer is what makes this game great. Give me the option-do not force me to do something I don’t want to or cannot do. Why bother having the AI in the first place then?

I should be to provide a challenge on a racetrack not to fight with them for survival-wrong genre.

Sorry, but this is not fun. (For me)

Rating: 1/10 (because they race ya-back to the basics huh?)

7. Final thoughts

With a lot of things CM needs to go back to the drawing board before another poor game gets released. When I say ‘poor’ I do not mean that there is no joy whatsoever. What I am trying to say is that this franchise has enormous potential left untouched or ignored. If you would have remade Grid1 with the new graphics of Autosport and left the gameplay unchanged bar the addition of a multiplayer co-op team and some elements of the racing clubs you would have had a 8/10 winner.

The way it is right now you will be driving a lot of old, long standing customers out of the house to invite seemingly unwitting and mediocre gameplay accepting crowds in. Is this the way CM wants to continue? Taking no pride in your products? Releasing them clearly too early and then charging a full AAA price? I hope this is not the case and you take my review serious. Bigger than a fan of Grid I am a fan of F1. If this is the style in which you will approach F1 2014 I can only shudder and better lose all excitement about its release just to prevent utter disappointment. Because in the F1 series the same thing applies: First game not technically the best, but ‘Live the Life’ was a cool yet somewhat unfinished and super-immersive feature and made F1 2010 for single players the best game out of the lot in my opinion. Why? Because it had meaning or it kept the illusion alive that it had meaning.

Either or the result of it all was a feeling of reward when playing the game, just like Grid1.

Grid Autosport has nothing of that.

Overall rating: 4/10

Have a great day and cross fingers for F1 2014. Autosport uninstall complete-signing off. 

Trollololol. You should have. :)

@dirt3joe: 'my guess is it is the console games that susidise the PC dev, not the other way round. If the sales were on PC alone the game would never happen. What is surprising IMO is not that CM caters so well for the PC, but why they bother at all. If you are a business you go where the money is.'

Complete BS btw. Please read, consider, understand and learn:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/analyst-pc-gaming-now-brings-in-more-money-than-console-gaming/

i disagree with the physics, yeah some of the tuning is whack, but the awd and fwd cars understeer unless tuned, which is how the real cars handle. the rwd cars under power tend to slide, and yes some understeer on corner entry.... which is a real handling characteristic on many vehicles, unless tuned properly. even some top level prototypes have suffered from such issues in development, so it is a valid handling characteristic to add to the game. for a game with crippling issues, the physics is no problem, and more realistic then half the games we get from other companies

I'm waiting for text chat and spectator mode(maybe a working mirrors, but that would ask too much...), 
this mean at least 2years LOL
so i meanwhile this game will drop to 5eur and will worth all of that money.
Is not a game for full price. I think for cheap is pretty good simcade...
Grid1 is history, the team at CM who makes this game was great.
Now there is time for new gen, maybe there is hope for another masterpiece...
This days top racing game are elsewhere 

flash , you are not right that GAS is not game for full price man! Its great game with way more content compare to Grid 1 (tracks , cars etc) similar handking and physics etc... In my opinion its the best simcade in PC ....
We miss text chat and specating mode but these features are under consideration for codies ... 
I would strongly reccomended to you.. ;;)

flash , you are not right that GAS is not game for full price man! Its great game with way more content compare to Grid 1 (tracks , cars etc) similar handking and physics etc... In my opinion its the best simcade in PC ....
We miss text chat and specating mode but these features are under consideration for codies ... 
I would strongly reccomended to you.. ;;)
ahaha nothing worth full price, the game worth only if online "survive" after the first year.
Next year, summer 2015 we will see if online is still populated... if not, and GA die short like grid2 is just a money waste.
At now i prefer to keep the patience and wait to see what happen. 

I mean i don't like jokes... "we listen the community" was the announcement, okay i don't want to over criticize, because there is a lot of good stuff... but pleeease fix car interior, i'm not going to buy a indie cheap... full price 50eur top game with lazy stuff inside ? no.
And the text chat? is on the way i hope...
And spectator mode ? 
And a steam region lock workaround by default for everyone ?
And vac is enabled ?
And again with savegame corrupted ??

cmon :D

MarkVenom said:
@dirt3joe: 'my guess is it is the console games that susidise the PC dev, not the other way round. If the sales were on PC alone the game would never happen. What is surprising IMO is not that CM caters so well for the PC, but why they bother at all. If you are a business you go where the money is.'

Complete BS btw. Please read, consider, understand and learn:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/analyst-pc-gaming-now-brings-in-more-money-than-console-gaming/
Just proved him right with that link.

A very minor point, but:

"flicker in night races with smoke shadows turned on and such"

This is an NVidia SLI issue that has been fixed by the July 3rd patch.