Sign in to follow this  

GRID Autosport - An honest review

Is this one of those; "my pecker is bigger than yours . . .", type arguments, lol . .

I know little about these arguments but I have heard that the rise in PC gfx card power has pushed it ahead of consoles, even the next gen ones.
It's not always easy to know who to believe because most reviewers are out and out liars owing to all the backhanders they take, but PC sales have been down, although no info to confirm that. that has happened in the gaming rig sector where many console owners not wishing to be left behind are buying the immensely superior graphical power of the PC.

So many opinions trying to pass as fact means the majority of posts become subjective, not a good way to reach an objective conclusion . . .same goes for magazine review articles . . .more tea ?
~O)
PC is, and always has been capable of more graphically. That isn't something new. But the fact remains, most of PC gamings revenue comes from older games and FTP games. In fact a majority of PC players don't have PC's that would out power the PS4 currently. Gaming PC's are a niche Market. Console is the market where all the "now" money is. It's been that way since the 90s. The sooner people accept that PC and console aren't even the same market, similar to how handhelds and console aren't the same market, the better off we'll all be.
I vaguely recall conversations about cell technology with one of my nephews (programmer at Creative Assembly) many years back, don't remember too much but 6 to 8 processors were mentioned for this technology, making it extremely powerful.

I also remember the imbalances between games makers and graphic cards makers, causing a lack of optomization in the PC field which would suggest that until recently the PC actually being seen to be more powerful had been just a dream for the future . . .

I had heard that console sales are down, and even though overall there is a slump in PC sales more and more people are looking at the PC as the way to go . . .that said, I imagine the slump in console sales will still equate to greater profits than from the PC.
~O)
The ram limitations of the PS3 made up for the cell.

PC is still less optimized than console.

Console sales were down because PS4 and XBO were approaching, the PS4 has sold more consoles in less time than the Wii, and the XBO has vastly outsold the 360 in the same amount of time. 

In other words, console sales being down are about the same as saying PC gaming is dying back in 1994.
There is a lot of conjecture concerning numbers of this and that, and all is a waste of time because none of them are going out of business any time soon.

Another of my nephews has PC and 2 different consoles . . .more money than sense in my opinion, buying 3 versions of the same game . .
~O)
Haha. Plenty of people like that these days. (Sorry for the delayed response, I travel for work, so I'm gone randomly o.o )

hi all I agree with all the above where are the podium finishes ide like to see some sort of finish after racing in 1st in enduro and front wheel drive cars annoy me because when you expect them to change down the gears it just bogs down out of bends then again they all do and your team mate one race hes last then he beats you where is the different color dot to show your rival I know im pointing out the minor things but they all go to show that codemasters have tried but not very hard ......:(

'In fact a majority of PC players don't have PC's that would out power the PS4 currently.' - DarkRedslayer

LOLOLOL complete BS. Every GTX5xx series equipped PC with an i5 or i7 outpowers the PS4. Those 'NextGen' consoles were last gen on release dude. I am seriously amused by comments of that nature. :smile: 

I do find that the career mode is lacking in comparison to Race Driver: Gird; I would love to have the ability to make your own teams and buy your own cars and pick from sponsors (I guess this is all available in online). It's still fun though, with decent variety, choice and personalisation. As a game, not comparing it to anything, I find it an enjoyable game with awesome features :)

Console GPUs cannot handle mirrors?!

They coped wonderfully in Forza Motorsport 4. Well, my 360 hasn't caught fire yet anyway.

You want facts?

Both consoles use modified 6 core AMD APU's with 2 cores devoted to GFX, they also have a discrete GFX card, a customised AMD 6670 essentially, plus 8GB RAM.

4 years ago I was running an AMD 1100T HEX core CPU with an AMD 6970 2GB and 16GB RAM. Both of which gave better performance than even the brand new consoles do.

Neither can run BF4 @ 1080P with 60fps, instead run it at 720 in order to keep the fps up.

So basically when you buy a console it's all 4 year old PC tech that no one bought, you pay over the odds for it being in a box and then get mugged another 25-30% on game prices...

EA and others have withheld DX11 from PC versions of their games so they look similar to the console versions, I even asked them directly in the EA forums why they failed to support DX11 and thus dumbed down games on PC and was threatened with a ban for making such a suggestion....

CM have always kept up to date with PC tech and this time have put the PC at the core of GAS development and now console owners are upset because they get the back seat his time out. Having to wait for patches, having to wait for DLC.

This is what PC "Fanboys" have had to put up with for YEARS. Nice to see this change....

Console owners are well aware of the limitations of the tech, and happy with that trade-off... we're just a little annoyed by CM's slightly disingenuous argument that consoles can't handle mirrors, when they've produced many console racers in the past that provide perfectly functional mirrors. What they really mean is "we thought you'd rather have more detailed environments than mirrors, but we were wrong and we're not going to waste time fixing it for last-gen consoles". Which is fine, but it would be nice to hear them say it.

Having been reset on Grid 2 from a level 60 to 1 I was reluctant to purchase Autosport,My close friends convinced me to buy it and like it but do not love it.Main reason?Now I have a team and 2 out of the four members have lost all of there stats.Is something going to be done about this?Pretty much to the point of shelving it and moving on,Kind of hard to get level up but,whats the use if all my hard work will more than likely be wiped away from no fault of my own.Seriously,2 out of the four members have basically given up and one is on his third reset.It is not just myself but numerous players I have come in to contact with have also been reset,whats the deal?Very difficult if not impossible to find the urge to play with this going on.

H2oRipper said:

Having been reset on Grid 2 from a level 60 to 1 I was reluctant to purchase Autosport,My close friends convinced me to buy it and like it but do not love it.Main reason?Now I have a team and 2 out of the four members have lost all of there stats.Is something going to be done about this?Pretty much to the point of shelving it and moving on,Kind of hard to get level up but,whats the use if all my hard work will more than likely be wiped away from no fault of my own.Seriously,2 out of the four members have basically given up and one is on his third reset.It is not just myself but numerous players I have come in to contact with have also been reset,whats the deal?Very difficult if not impossible to find the urge to play with this going on.

Hang in there Ripper, they'll have it fixed soon :smile: 

Gotta say that was a well written review. If I had any patience left for CM I'd do the same.

If you are going to try to reboot or restart a franchise, then at least put the effort in to do so. Looking at other older games from other stables, many were able to give a physically correct and yet more forgiving control scheme than GRID AS. It's one of the biggest issues for me to enjoy the game as the cars handle totally fubar. I have the same issue with any racing game that has fubar handling as car handling is THE most important thing for me IRL. If you have a car that doesn't respond to inputs correctly or in a predictable manner, then you're asking for a crash. In turn, why is it that CM seem to be unable to get the basics of understeer and oversteer the right way round? Why is it that we have to put up with sub-par releases when they are asking good money for them?

Please by all means fix the damn games, you might even gain a modicum of respect back from your now incredibly jaded customer base. However chances are you are aiming at a new generation who haven't had to deal with the broken promises and false claims of the last 6-7 years of CM (oh not to mention two forum deletions instead of migrations...).