Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huge season 2016 for FIA WRX

gfRally said:
It would be cool to see this spill over to the WRC at some point.  I would love to see the return of some bigger (group B?) type cars...  If only subaru... 
Unusually for a rally related discussion I actually disagree with you there @gfRally!

I think the smaller wheelbase cars are a lot more lively and, in my personal opinion, look a lot more interesting than the bigger 2.0L cars (specifically thinking of the C4 compared to the DS3 and the Focus compared to the Fiesta). I genuinely can't wait to see what the 2017 cars look like (and how quick they are).

You know how much I'd like to see Subaru back in the WRC, but unless there is a major alteration to the rules (which I can't see happening now) or unless Subaru decide to shrink the WRX STI, I can't see that platform ever being suitable for the top tier of WRC again.  :(

PS: In reference to your Group B point, the majority of Group B cars (especially the latter ones) are closer in size to a Fiesta than a Focus!

tbtstt said:
gfRally said:
It would be cool to see this spill over to the WRC at some point.  I would love to see the return of some bigger (group B?) type cars...  If only subaru... 
Unusually for a rally related discussion I actually disagree with you there @gfRally!

I think the smaller wheelbase cars are a lot more lively and, in my personal opinion, look a lot more interesting than the bigger 2.0L cars (specifically thinking of the C4 compared to the DS3 and the Focus compared to the Fiesta). I genuinely can't wait to see what the 2017 cars look like (and how quick they are).

You know how much I'd like to see Subaru back in the WRC, but unless there is a major alteration to the rules (which I can't see happening now) or unless Subaru decide to shrink the WRX STI, I can't see that platform ever being suitable for the top tier of WRC again.  :(

PS: In reference to your Group B point, the majority of Group B cars (especially the latter ones) are closer in size to a Fiesta than a Focus!

Ok, I take back my comment then.  I sort of knew it wasn't viable in the back of my mind, but I thought I would throw it out there.   I know Subaru will never compete again... Just daydreaming 

Oh, I didn't know the Group B cars where small, BECAUSE NO ONE DRIVES THEM HERE !! Arrrrrgh !! xD 

gfRally said:

Ok, I take back my comment then.  I sort of knew it wasn't viable in the back of my mind, but I thought I would throw it out there.   I know Subaru will never compete again... Just daydreaming 
Hey, there is no harm in dreaming! I certainly wouldn't rule out the return of Subaru one day, I just seriously doubt it will be possible with the WRX STI.

Having said, the talk (and I'm thinking back a couple of years ago) was that when the WRX STI ceased to be classed as an Impreza Subaru would no longer be basing it on the Impreza platform. That hasn't really happened with the latest STI, but perhaps the next one will be based on a much smaller platform.
gfRally said:

Oh, I didn't know the Group B cars where small, BECAUSE NO ONE DRIVES THEM HERE !! Arrrrrgh !! xD 
Haha! We're just tripping over them here, they are everywhere... ;)  The first wave of Group B cars (specifically thinking the Ur Quattro) were bigger, but the Sport Quattro was short wheelbase and that set the trend for all the 4WD Group B cars that followed. I daresay the Delta was a large hatchback for the era, but compared to modern cars, it would certainly be classed as a small car today.

I'm not sure on the exact dimension, but I think the Citroen BX4TC had a longer wheelbase: given that car was an utter dog though, I'm going to ignore it! :smiley: 

gfRally said:
Well, cars are getting bigger, with all the safety requirements, crumple zones and what not. The modern Polos, for example, are bigger than early Golfs, which are considered a bigger class than Polo. Same with Mini Cooper or Fiat 500 or basically any car. The old ones are tiny compared to their modern counterparts

I really love the RX in DR, to me it's brilliant how it looks, how the cars handle. Content wise it's lacking sadly. I think it would be a hit in organized leagues if you could have a full event structure online.

Not sure how well it would sell as stand alone though. Probably better than SLRE, but still ;)

bogani said:
I really love the RX in DR, to me it's brilliant how it looks, how the cars handle. Content wise it's lacking sadly. I think it would be a hit in organized leagues if you could have a full event structure online.

Not sure how well it would sell as stand alone though. Probably better than SLRE, but still ;)
With Loeb, Solberg, and Block (CM could have their Euro cake and eat it too, duuuuude), 5+ manufacturers at the top level, and interest in WRX growing and growing, I feel like there's never been a better time to make an official WRX game. I'm not a business guy though, and I'd guess business guys would be less receptive to making a standalone WRX game, for all their boring business-y reasons.

But think about a game that, from the FIA's perspective, could be plastered in the WRX's flourescent branding, and from the player's, could have a dpad dedicated to spotter communication (like GAS), so you could get the gap to the car ahead/behind, how many laps left, etc. I mean obviously the game would have loads else too, but I play without a HUD so that's sort of at the top of my wishlist. Talk to me, Neil, when should I joker?!

Well you're not going to miss these cars on track: 

https://twitter.com/kblock43/status/719901978524954624

Bakkerud's car looks positively understated next to Block's. 

Actually kinda like it for some reason :)

Waiting to see if there are any livery creators crazy enough to try this one.

I loved Blocks 2013 livery, big throwback to 80s and Vision Streetware brand Skateboard clothing/boards:

As "A child of the 80s" I have fond memories of this style.  The new liveries have a similar vibe.

Areyouben said:
I like Bakkerud's better, Block's is just a little bit too much.
Yeah, I prefer Bakkerud's as well, Block's is just a bit much. Looking to be a cracking season though. I will definitely be at three rounds this year and I'm considering a fourth!

I am really trying hard to figure out my schedule to get to Montreal this year.

gfRally said:
I am really trying hard to figure out my schedule to get to Montreal this year.
DO IT!

It seems that Petter has stepped it up and hired Jean-Claude Vaucard to build his car this year.  Competition is going to be nuts.  

I dont think the game would have enough content. Dirtrally has very little content and that has rally, rallycross and hillclimb and its barebones. A straight up fia game would be barebones i imagine. 60$ for a barebones game ill pass

Other than this being an OP necro (as opposed to a thread necro) you also answered a question that wasn't asked.

I dont think the game would have enough content. Dirtrally has very little content and that has rally, rallycross and hillclimb and its barebones. A straight up fia game would be barebones i imagine. 60$ for a barebones game ill pass
Don't the F1 games effectively have 10ish cars and 20ish tracks? A WRX game would have 8-10 cars and 12 tracks (if it was Supercars only), which is a little less content per dollar. But if it had a full-fledged career mode, in-depth and interactive spotter, and maybe even some of the support series, then that'd be a good value. Or just make it a $40 game.

Business, business, business. Numbers. Is this thing working?

Fantastic season this year, I am more excited for this than for WRC. Bakkerud is going faster with the new Focus. Will see today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3xjMuXdUAg

In 4 hours live in youtube. Excited!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzxVFu2h5hQ

dwkGravey said:
Don't the F1 games effectively have 10ish cars and 20ish tracks? A WRX game would have 8-10 cars and 12 tracks (if it was Supercars only), which is a little less content per dollar. But if it had a full-fledged career mode, in-depth and interactive spotter, and maybe even some of the support series, then that'd be a good value. Or just make it a $40 game.
Obviously a title like that would have to be heavily concentrated on the multiplayer aspect to appeal to people. The multiplayer part in most racing games is a joke to say the least, so a properly implemented ladder system would definitely bring numbers to the game.
Even if the F1 series is sold mainly due to hype on that uber boring discipline, if WRX had a proper single player career along with great multiplayer implementation, it would definitely sold. Great game will always sell, as people are keen to spread stuff like that on the internet.

It's ooonnnnn.
In some countries is blocked but you can use hola unblocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzxVFu2h5hQ