Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huge season 2016 for FIA WRX

Oh yeah definitely, they're trying to push the new focus rs road version. It's funny how the RX fiesta is so good, yet the wrc fiesta just doesn't seem to be anywhere near the pace of the others. Just looking at results, the wrc fiesta has won just 6 events since it was first released in 2011, and hasn't won since 2012
Time to bring on the Focus powah :D Maybe with 2017 new regulations?

I reckon both FIA and CM were testing the waters with the RX 'lite' to gauge reaction. But true, as @Areyouben has mentioned, more tracks may have made it more appealing. Personally, I do like the RX part but spend most time on the Championships because it's 'meatier' and more rewarding I think.

Oh yeah definitely, they're trying to push the new focus rs road version. It's funny how the RX fiesta is so good, yet the wrc fiesta just doesn't seem to be anywhere near the pace of the others. Just looking at results, the wrc fiesta has won just 6 events since it was first released in 2011, and hasn't won since 2012
2 litre engine, so, no.

2 litre engine, so, no.
Not every Focus has a 2 litre engine...

FIA WRX posted a shortened version of that epic semi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6rEF2bM_5s

Also, the man who loves to break stuff explains how the rear wings affect the performance of RX cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWfR7I08-xI

Quite an interesting bit of insight to be honest.

@tbtstt Do you have any pictures or footage from Mettet? :)

Also, Ekström is really on fire, although everything can go south pretty quickly in ralllycross. Still bummed about DR missing out on the Audi S1 due to licensing issue though. Looks like a fun little car.

zoliRX said:

Also, Ekström is on really fire, although everything can go south pretty quickly in ralllycross. Still bummed about DR missing out on the Audi S1 due to licensing issue though. Looks like a fun little car.

I do @zoliRX, but I am yet to start sifting through them! Things are hectic at work at the moment, so I'm not getting as much time to look at pictures in the evenings as I would like. Will post some up here when I get them online: need to get them done as soon as I can as I'm off to Lydden in two weeks so I'll have another batch then!

@tbtstt As I said once before, I am planing to go to Montreal when it gets here.  What are the camera rules/policies for an event?  I have a 80-200 2.8 that I want to use, but don't know if I am going to get sent away at the gate with a rather large lens.

I am trying to find information about spectator sports other than FIAs little map.  

Sometimes I do a search on Flickr to see what pops up for vacations to see what there is to photograph, tried this with Montreal WRX and nothing, same with google, no personal photos of any kind.  There is nothing out there other than official pix, so I haven't a clue what to expect.

I'll really be disappointed if I cannot take pix

gfRally said:

@tbtstt As I said once before, I am planing to go to Montreal when it gets here.  What are the camera rules/policies for an event?  I have a 80-200 2.8 that I want to use, but don't know if I am going to get sent away at the gate with a rather large lens.

I am trying to find information about spectator sports other than FIAs little map.  

Sometimes I do a search on Flickr to see what pops up for vacations to see what there is to photograph, tried this with Montreal WRX and nothing, same with google, no personal photos of any kind.  There is nothing out there other than official pix, so I haven't a clue what to expect.

I'll really be disappointed if I cannot take pix
There are no restrictions on the public taking photos at any of the World Rallycross rounds over here, so I would assume it's the same for the World round in Canada @gfRally. The only thing I can't comment on is what spectating positions are available at Montreal. From what I can remember of the TV coverage, I think all the spectators are in grandstands, so you may have high fences between you and the track. 

I thought the track at Canada was much improved last year, so I would expect more of the same this year. Even if you don't get to take any pictures you'll get to see (and hear) Supercars in action: it'll be worth the journey for that! 

tbtstt said:
zoliRX said:

Also, Ekström is on really fire, although everything can go south pretty quickly in ralllycross. Still bummed about DR missing out on the Audi S1 due to licensing issue though. Looks like a fun little car.

I do @zoliRX, but I am yet to start sifting through them! Things are hectic at work at the moment, so I'm not getting as much time to look at pictures in the evenings as I would like. Will post some up here when I get them online: need to get them done as soon as I can as I'm off to Lydden in two weeks so I'll have another batch then!

You're going to Lydden Hill as well? Oh, I envy you!

zoliRX said:
tbtstt said:
zoliRX said:

You're going to Lydden Hill as well? Oh, I envy you!

I'm very fortunate in that Lydden Hill is close to me (just under an hour's drive): aside from Brands Hatch it's actually my most local track! Mettet was my fave round of last year and it was brilliant again this year, but I can't wait for Lydden as it's great to see the World Championship on home soil. Pity it's not a European round as well, but there looks to be a decent entry of Supercars so it should still be a cracking weekend. Going to be interesting to see if Ekstrom can maintain his current pace at Lydden. 

I'll definitely be doing the World round at Loheac (France) as well. Debating a fourth round, but that's money/time dependent at the moment!

Nice! I'd personally love to go to Höljes, being the closest event (I think) from Malmö. But an ~8 hour drive with no company and noone else to meet up with sounds like a really dull RX weekend.

:tongue: 

RyuMakkuro said:
Also, that joker looks to be faster than the standard route... On their place I would be taking it on every lap xD The track itself is also nice, would definitely want to see it in DR or next DiRT title.

The RX Lites boys tried it... Or, they did a jumpstart on purpose, to be able to do the Joker twice ;) Which is why a jump start at Hockenheim didn't give an extra Joker ;)

Myrvold said:
RyuMakkuro said:
Also, that joker looks to be faster than the standard route... On their place I would be taking it on every lap xD The track itself is also nice, would definitely want to see it in DR or next DiRT title.

The RX Lites boys tried it... Or, they did a jumpstart on purpose, to be able to do the Joker twice ;) Which is why a jump start at Hockenheim didn't give an extra Joker ;)
Last time I checked you can take Joker more than the necessary amount.

zoliRX said:
Nice! I'd personally love to go to Höljes, being the closest event (I think) from Malmö. But an ~8 hour drive with no company and noone else to meet up with sounds like a really dull RX weekend.

:tongue: 

Holjes is on my list as well: it's a long (and expensive) weekend though! 

I really want to make it down to Lydden, I haven't been since 2013. Unfortunately it's one the weekend of my end of year ball at uni, and I will probably be in some kind of alcohol induced coma

I really want to make it down to Lydden, I haven't been since 2013. Unfortunately it's one the weekend of my end of year ball at uni, and I will probably be in some kind of alcohol induced coma
Awwww, poor show @RallyDriven: it's sure to be a good one!

tbtstt said:

Yeah I know, think my brother is going down, but I doubt i'll be in any fit state to drive there. Luke and Paul's first rally is on the same weekend at Down Ampney which is literally 5 mins from my house at uni, so I might go to that instead to make up for it.

tbtstt said:

Yeah I know, think my brother is going down, but I doubt i'll be in any fit state to drive there. Luke and Paul's first rally is on the same weekend at Down Ampney which is literally 5 mins from my house at uni, so I might go to that instead to make up for it.
Ah, good call. As an aside I actually wondered if Paul would be at Lydden: that answers that question! 

You know, the more I look at it, the more I think we got the worst RX tracks in the game, from the tracks that you can see in the FIA WRX calendar. Hockenheim looks like a cool technical circuit, Mette like a nice fast one, and we're stuck with Lydden, although legendary, the corners don't really have that much flow, Holjes which is basically full tarmac and Hell... which is actually not that bad.

Also, team Focus seems to have run into some serious issues at Mette. Block didn't had time on first two qualifying sessions, Bakkerud didn't had a time on 1st, had slowest on 2nd, then slightly better on the 3rd and then had 3rd fastest on the last qualifying. But the Ekstrom... holy crap, he made everyone else look like total amateurs. It's a huge shame that we won't have that S1 in DR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeFSdATAx4Q

You know, the more I look at it, the more I think we got the worst RX tracks in the game, from the tracks that you can see in the FIA WRX calendar. Hockenheim looks like a cool technical circuit, Mette like a nice fast one, and we're stuck with Lydden, although legendary, the corners don't really have that much flow, Holjes which is basically full tarmac and Hell... which is actually not that bad.
I certainly wouldn't class the three circuits in game as the "worst". I'm glad that they opted to include historically significant tracks, not the more modern "temporary" tracks. 

Lydden is quite a basic circuit, but it's simple layout is easy to get to grips with (apart from that damn joker!) and I'd say it's a good starting point. 

Holjes is perhaps the defining round of the modern rallycross calendar. Yeah, like a lot of modern rallycross tracks the loose surface is really dust over a solid base rather than "proper" dirt, but the track itself is still great fun (in my personal opinion). 

I would agree that Hell is the most technical of the tracks currently in game. I really like the joker there, though I have got hit a few times by cars going for the joker as I'm on a standard lap: very annoying! 

The Hockenheim layout is quite good (much better than I was expecting for a temporary track), though the joker lap is clearly flawed: some cars looked faster through the joker than on the conventional lap this year! 

Mettet is great, though I could see turn one being a nightmare during online races: I would think pretty much every start would end with a pile up! The track itself is pretty interesting though, as there is quite an elevation change across it's length.

tbtstt said:

Mettet is great, though I could see turn one being a nightmare during online races: I would think pretty much every start would end with a pile up! The track itself is pretty interesting though, as there is quite an elevation change across it's length.
Yeah, Mettet is indeed a great track. But I wonder who in their right mind thought that the first turn was a good idea. Perhaps causing a pile ups is the sole reason for its existence.

:naughty:

tbtstt said:
I certainly wouldn't class the three circuits in game as the "worst". I'm glad that they opted to include historically significant tracks, not the more modern "temporary" tracks.
I agree that Lydden is a highly historical track and definitely easy to start in, but once you do get get to grips the only thing that happens in Lydden is "accelerate, brake, turn, accelerate, brake, turn, accelerate, brake, turn". There's none of the fast corners through which you can go without braking or with only letting the throttle. Again, good for newbies, bad for racing.

Holjes is nice, better than Lydden for sure, but there's too much tarmac on it. It would've been better if the entire last hairpin with the jump before it was a pure gravel. Probably why I like Clubman version there most. You actually have some gravel racing there. Hockenheim would be a perfect substitution for this track... well, they would have to fix the joker, or rather make the normal route joker and joker being normal route.

Hell is the only track that I don't have any gripes with. It has enough of gravel, it has a nice fast corner, generally speaking there's a nice flow to that track. Joker is in a position where people like to screw you over, true... only until you realise, that the fastest way through the first corner is to stick completely to the inside. And I mean completely, the standard racing line will make you slower. Quite strange, but works wonders.
zoliRX said:
But I wonder who in their right mind thought that the first turn was a good idea.
Solberg by any chance? xD