Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huge season 2016 for FIA WRX

gfRally said:
Man, thats just sad, its like they went all NASCAR.  I've always been a little suspicious over most RX guys temper over competitiveness.  Unfortunately it turned into this mess.  Even though he's a not a kid, I think his Dad should have a long talk with him, there is a family name associated.

I guess Liam just 'bombed' his career for a while.  (bad joke but had to say it)

BtW:  How is it that you act like your going to pound someone into the ground, then when real cops show up, you hide under a car?  I think he needs to find his BIG BOY pants.

Yeah, I'm rambling again..

Always been a bit of my problem with RX, lots of dudebros instead of the more laid back rally drivers.

Dytut said:
gfRally said:
Man, thats just sad, its like they went all NASCAR.  I've always been a little suspicious over most RX guys temper over competitiveness.  Unfortunately it turned into this mess.  Even though he's a not a kid, I think his Dad should have a long talk with him, there is a family name associated.

I guess Liam just 'bombed' his career for a while.  (bad joke but had to say it)

BtW:  How is it that you act like your going to pound someone into the ground, then when real cops show up, you hide under a car?  I think he needs to find his BIG BOY pants.

Always been a bit of my problem with RX, lots of dudebros instead of the more laid back rally drivers.
I'd say that's a fair critique of the GRC, but the World Rallycross Championship (and the national Championships in Europe), have the minimum of dudebros. 

Wow, now that's truly embarrassing behavior. 

Probably still mad after he (accidentally) got taken out at Hell :tongue:

tbtstt said:
Dytut said:
gfRally said:

I'd say that's a fair critique of the GRC, but the World Rallycross Championship (and the national Championships in Europe), have the minimum of dudebros. 
That's how it's seemed to me. None of the drivers, with the exception of Doran, really appear to be on the same wavelength as the flatbill extreme to the max dude patina Monster advertises WRX with. I feel like Monster would prefer everyone to be like Block, but all the European drivers seem too focused on driving and winning and less on acting American. Even when Bakkerud tries to stay on-brand with Hoonigan, it's like his mouth can't quite fully form words like "stoked".

I like all that Monster money for WRX, but could do without the attitude. It's like Dirt 2 all over again.

Not really surprised, Doran's always had a shithead aura around him. 

FIA WRX could as well be called Scandinavian Rallycross Championship with the odd foreign guest here and there ;) 

dwkGravey said:
tbtstt said:
Dytut said:
gfRally said:

That's how it's seemed to me. None of the drivers, with the exception of Doran, really appear to be on the same wavelength as the flatbill extreme to the max dude patina Monster advertises WRX with. I feel like Monster would prefer everyone to be like Block, but all the European drivers seem too focused on driving and winning and less on acting American. Even when Bakkerud tries to stay on-brand with Hoonigan, it's like his mouth can't quite fully form words like "stoked".
There is obviously a lot of PR round him now, but Block has always been smart. He knows how to play up to the image when necessary and how to use media to work for him. I know I'm biased as I like what he has done, but I don't recall Block ever doing something (at least in the public eye) that made him look bad.

I personally disagree with you with regards to Bakkerud. Bakkerud is bonkers (I mean that in a nice way), he has always appeared outgoing and that was long before Monster picked him up. I would say he is a perfect fit for a brand like Monster but, unlike others, he has never crossed the line from being loud and fun to being an arse! (And, crucially, he can get the results as well)

tbtstt said:
I would say he is a perfect fit for a brand like Monster but, unlike others, he has never crossed the line from being loud and fun to being an arse! (And, crucially, he can get the results as well)
Yeah, that's more along what I meant: when I think energy drinks, I think obnoxious and xtreme and Poochie the dog and grid girls dressed in leather (ugh), and Bakkerud seems way too affable to fit that mold.

Block's never done anything bad, but his image is very American, which is inherently bad to some of us in the world. ;) To paraphrase racing legend Jean Girard, Block tastes of America.

Block is one of the nicest and chillest guys in motorsports, a self made man, and a very loyal family man, so I am totally fine with Block representing the US on an international stage. If people want to hate him because he of his sick west coast style, then so be it. He seems to make a killing putting on shows overseas so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Doran is one of the biggest assholes I have ever seen in motorsports, so I am totally fine with him never working in the industry again. I am a huge fan of Danny Way, he has done so much for his sport, but would love to see Guy Wilks in the car, he is very deserving of it.

Guy Wilks is probably a much better driver than Doran, unfortunately he doesn't come with a stack of Monster's money like Doran. But now he's out of the way, we could see Wilks return. Unfortunately it looks like JRM will be missing Canada.

enamel said:
Block is one of the nicest and chillest guys in motorsports, a self made man, and a very loyal family man, so I am totally fine with Block representing the US on an international stage. If people want to hate him because he of his sick west coast style, then so be it. He seems to make a killing putting on shows overseas so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Doran is one of the biggest assholes I have ever seen in motorsports, so I am totally fine with him never working in the industry again. I am a huge fan of Danny Way, he has done so much for his sport, but would love to see Guy Wilks in the car, he is very deserving of it.

I may be biased saying that I like Block too.  Seems like a decent human, and yes most of the places that I have seen him, his family has been there too. His wife will even compete in a rally or two, just because she likes it.  

Not sure how to take Doran, I never didn't like the guy.  He did seem cocky in some interviews, but I shrugged that off as a sometimes British thing.  I mean cultural differences that doesn't translate at times, like I never understand a French joke.

A similar personality is Tanner Foust, he always seems pretty cocky, and I have actually talked to some other drivers that confirmed that he is a jerk.  Though that is not going to hold me back from getting him to autograph my DiRT2 box, working down the list of signatures on that.

enamel said:

I have said it countless times already, but Blocks style (and the PR team that push it) is both his biggest strength and weakness: it has made him a known name to the masses but, in many cases, has alienated him from the die-hard fans. He has a solid array of sponsors to fund his hobby though, so I admire him for that!
Guy Wilks is probably a much better driver than Doran, unfortunately he doesn't come with a stack of Monster's money like Doran. But now he's out of the way, we could see Wilks return. Unfortunately it looks like JRM will be missing Canada.
Not sure on who is the better driver. That's actually what frustrates me most about Liam: when it comes to it, he has some serious talent behind the wheel. Some of his drives through the years have been absolutely jaw dropping, it's his seeming inability to go more than 12 months without committing a PR blunder that is his biggest weakness. 

I hope Wilks can drum up some sponsorship money. With Danny Way now confirmed as out of the picture, I would think Guerlain Chicherit is the most likely to have both the funding and the availability to jump into the car. 
gfRally said:

A similar personality is Tanner Foust, he always seems pretty cocky, and I have actually talked to some other drivers that confirmed that he is a jerk.  Though that is not going to hold me back from getting him to autograph my DiRT2 box, working down the list of signatures on that.
That's a shame to hear. From the few appearances I've seen in the UK I've always thought Foust was OK. When he first came to European Rallycross a few years ago he had a decent attitude which swayed a lot of the more cynical fans. 

@tbtstt Higgins and spotter Craig Drew had a few things to say about him when David competed at the Dirtfish round acouple of years back.  

side note: I wish they would keep Dirtfish on as a permanent stop, it reminded me of the early days of xgames rallycross which was much more exciting to watch.  

gfRally said:
@tbtstt Higgins and spotter Craig Drew had a few things to say about him when David competed at the Dirtfish round acouple of years back.  

side note: I wish they would keep Dirtfish on as a permanent stop, it reminded me of the early days of xgames rallycross which was much more exciting to watch.  
Oh really @gfRally? That's very interesting to read, as Mark and Craig are reckoned to be a pretty amicable pair. 

Yeah, the Dirtfish layouts have been by far my fave GRC tracks. 

That's because it was a proper Rallycross track. None of that temporary parking lot nonsense.

It was certainly the closest to a proper rallycross track. Driving through the barn was a bit of a gimmick, but I must confess I thought it looked pretty cool. I bet the Supercars sounded phenomenal coming through there!

Off topic, but I do wonder what the future is for the GRC. Entries seems to be shrinking rather than growing at the moment. 

Interesting to see the Civic making its World Rallycross debut in Canada. Perhaps a sign of things to come in the World Championship next year? 

Honda will not be running in the WRX field unfortunately: http://www.motorsport.com/world-rx/news/olsbergsmse-won-t-field-grc-spec-honda-civic-in-canada-world-rx-802443/?v=2&s=1&q=honda

Areyouben said:
Honda will not be running in the WRX field unfortunately: http://www.motorsport.com/world-rx/news/olsbergsmse-won-t-field-grc-spec-honda-civic-in-canada-world-rx-802443/?v=2&s=1&q=honda
Damn! I saw some comments with regards to the homologation when the entry list came out, but I assumed a revision was already underway. 

Damn shame, guess we'll have to wait until next year then!  

I see there is now an official post from Gigi Galli on Facebook. Nice to see the Kia isn't dead, hopefully we'll see it on track later in the year. 

tbtstt said:
Areyouben said:
Damn! I saw some comments with regards to the homologation when the entry list came out, but I assumed a revision was already underway. 

Damn shame, guess we'll have to wait until next year then!  

If you lived in America, my generation either loves honda or looks at, and says ricer.  Every other one in the since Fast and Furious had a Fart can on the exhaust, and everyone wanted to race a mustang.  Most had huge heavy bass boxes that buzzed the car windows and sounded awful.  

I took a 2010 SI for a test drive, wasn't impressed it weezed going up the long hill of the circle that the dealer took me around.  I stopped at the next door subaru dealer took WRX around the same circle, there was so much more torque from the subaru before the turbo spooled up it was night and day.  I always liked Subaru over Honda but I wanted to give another car a chance, my assumptions where correct, bought a impreza next week, happy ever since.  

Anyhow somewhat off topic story, but doesn't make me sad that honda is not competing however its in the GRC
:neutral:

gfRally said:

I took a 2010 SI for a test drive, wasn't impressed it weezed going up the long hill of the circle that the dealer took me around.  I stopped at the next door subaru dealer took WRX around the same circle, there was so much more torque from the subaru before the turbo spooled up it was night and day.  I always liked Subaru over Honda but I wanted to give another car a chance, my assumptions where correct, bought a impreza next week, happy ever since.  
I had a Civic before I bought my Subaru. The Impreza was always my long term goal, but the Civic (EP2) was planted and fun to drive. The only issue with the VTEC engine is that you need to rag the arse off it to get the power. So you either pull away from the lights at a quiet crawl, or in a screaming hurry! I had mine for about a year and I would have been happy to keep it longer, but when the chance came to finally buy an Impreza I didn't hesitate to sell it on.

I've always really liked the EK Civic and it had been my original intention to get one as my first car, but when I was looking the only cars for sale were all automatic crap boxes. 

I drove an FN Civic a few years ago and it felt like a step backwards to me. Not as much as fun as the previous generation car and with even worse rear visibility (which was my only real gripe with the EP2). 
gfRally said:

Anyhow somewhat off topic story, but doesn't make me sad that honda is not competing however its in the GRC
:neutral:
I have a suspicion that the Honda will appear in the World Championship next year: I can't see OMSE bothering to develop two difference platforms, especially as Ford have now withdrawn their official connection to the team. 

Honda owner here, I have a GE8 Fit, which isn't going to blow anyone's doors off (0-60: yes!), but it's a class winner in Rally America, so I'm happy with that. Rally cred! I'd trade it for a GR Impreza if it was feasible, though.

Another thing I like about my Fit is I can say I own a GE8, which almost sounds like GC8 (the real dream).

Well that was an eventful weekend in Canada. Incredible pace from Petter in the qualifiers and semi final, all undone by the weather conditions in the final and then rounded off by a massive impact at the end of the race. Glad to read that Solberg is OK this morning, hope they can get the car straight for France. 

More controversy surrounding the Team Austria cars. The disqualification for Timur seemed a very harsh punishment. Obviously worked in Hansen's favour, but a shame not to see Timur in the final as he clearly had the pace. 

Brilliant drive from DeJong in the Lites. You could see the car was badly crabbing on the main straight, but he still took the win.

That rain was incredible. It's been many years since I last visited Montreal (1.5 hours from Trois-Rivieres), but that's how I remember it: perfectly nice, then out of nowhere a sudden torrential downpour, and then it's done and back to nice weather.

dwkGravey said:
That rain was incredible. It's been many years since I last visited Montreal (1.5 hours from Trois-Rivieres), but that's how I remember it: perfectly nice, then out of nowhere a sudden torrential downpour, and then it's done and back to nice weather.
You should try living in England!

At most I thought they might swap Timur with the Audi and put him on the back of the grid, a disqualification seemed incredibly harsh, as from the onboard it looked like either a very gentle tap, or no contact at all and he just out braked himself