Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huge season 2016 for FIA WRX

dwkGravey said:
That rain was incredible. It's been many years since I last visited Montreal (1.5 hours from Trois-Rivieres), but that's how I remember it: perfectly nice, then out of nowhere a sudden torrential downpour, and then it's done and back to nice weather.
You should try living in England!
I live in Vancouver, so effectively the same thing: non-stop rain from September to June. Been enjoying the sun lately (until it started raining this morning).

dwkGravey said:
I hope he still uses the corroded livery!
I think he has had a different livery at every round he has raced at? He has some good ones though, car looked great at Loheac last year!

Anyone got footage or explanation as to what happened at the end of the final?  Solberg got punted hard after the line, pic of him in hospital saying he was ok.  Looked like whoever hit him might have had a stuck throttle or something, kept spinning after pin-balling Solberg.

Anyone got footage or explanation as to what happened at the end of the final?  Solberg got punted hard after the line, pic of him in hospital saying he was ok.  Looked like whoever hit him might have had a stuck throttle or something, kept spinning after pin-balling Solberg.
Anton Marklund had brake failure @F2CMaDMaXX, it looks like he did try and swerve, but it was too late.

Amateur video of the crash here: 

https://www.facebook.com/peter.teurlings/videos/1239827256047576/

Both cars looked a mess after the crash, but Petter's looked really bad:

I read today that Petter has paid 30,000 Euros to fly his car back to Europe: his team are going to need every minute to rebuild it before Loheac.

Wow that sounds pretty bad!                                      

Wow, as much as I got from Google translate, it was very scary, for sure!

At least it seems mechanical failure for Anton Marklund was the problem, instead of driver error.  Doesn't fix the end result, but accidents in racing happen but maybe easier to accept it like this.

gfRally said:
Wow that sounds pretty bad!                                      
Wow, as much as I got from Google translate, it was very scary, for sure!
Solberg calling it the worst crash of his career, even worse than Germany 2004, really drove that home for me (pardon the pun). Good on him for using this as an opportunity to increase safety in WRX. Keep the spectacular crashes on the other side of the finish line!

Short article (including a little video) on the rebuild of Solberg's DS3 here:

https://www.nrk.no/sport/slik-ser-solbergs-bil-ut-etter-skrekk-kraesjen-1.13091303

I thought the comment that stated they were going to "cut the rear of the car off" was a bad translation: that seems to be exactly what they have done though!

tbtstt said:
Short article (including a little video) on the rebuild of Solberg's DS3 here:
Now, if only I could understand what's written there without killing my eyes with the Google Translate :D

Glad Solberg managed to recover from that one, hope he can get his car repaired in time!
Fingers crossed: won't be as good if I can't cheer Petter on! 

Entry lists for Loheac have been released. 38 Supercars (realistically 37 with no Liam Doran) and 34 Super 1600: next month can't get here quickly enough!

Guess who's back in the mini?
http://www.jrm-group.com/mini-rx/news/August-2016/guy-wilks-returns-to-jrm-racing-for-world-rx-programme

http://www.jrm-group.com/mini-rx/news/August-2016/guy-wilks-returns-to-jrm-racing-for-world-rx-programme

Great news! Shame that a deal couldn't be struck for Loheac, but still good to see Wilks back in the driving seat again. I hope JRM can get the car sorted ready for Guy. 

Great day of racing yesterday at Lydden (in the British Championship) with another win for Dan Rooke. 

tbtstt said:

Great news! Shame that a deal couldn't be struck for Loheac, but still good to see Wilks back in the driving seat again. I hope JRM can get the car sorted ready for Guy. 

Great day of racing yesterday at Lydden (in the British Championship) with another win for Dan Rooke. 
You cant get them all sadly. Hopefully this will go over to the 2017 season.

I also really like the livery. It's now my favorite 2016 livery

Is anyone else able to watch the full show on YouTube, and if so what country do you happen to live in? It used to work fine for me in Canada, but then the last Canadian round was blocked—fair enough, I thought, probably a TV thing—and now the France round is blocked too. :disappointed:

dwkGravey said:
Is anyone else able to watch the full show on YouTube, and if so what country do you happen to live in? It used to work fine for me in Canada, but then the last Canadian round was blocked—fair enough, I thought, probably a TV thing—and now the France round is blocked too. :disappointed:
Works for me, Belgium
There is a list of countries where the footage is blocked due to broadcast deals, but I don't see Canada in the list tho..

Worked for me, in fact, just watched the SS1600's.  USA.

I think maybe the first time i've seen YT email me that the live broadcast is 'on'.

Petter in that 2x joker lap though!!

Petter in that 2x joker lap though!!
Petter's double joker during the semi-final at Mettet in 2015 was one of the most incredible bits of driving I have ever seen. He was just throwing the car round the track. Not trying to take anything from Petter (as I am a huge fanboy), but the joker didn't seem that much slower at Loheac when the track was wet. Cars were carrying far less speed down the back straight then they do in the dry. I actually wondered if a smart driver might deliberately jump start when it was wet, so they could take the joker twice. 

This was my fourth time at Loheac and, in terms of racing, the best weekend of all of them. The biggest problem with Loheac is that the loose is effectively fine dirt over a solid base: once the loose is swept aside (which normally happens after a couple of hours racing) there is a fast line in the track and trying to pass off that is very difficult. The rain on Sunday morning seemed to make the loose a lot more tacky, so it stayed in place through the day. 

Great final. The Bakkerud/Solberg/Loeb scrap was brilliant to watch, Loeb didn't seem to be shy when it came to trading paint! Much better performance from Block as well. Hoonigan Racing had three cars at the track, so it seems like the third test car is now complete. I understand that car will go to the US for Block to increase his seat time in.