Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huge season 2016 for FIA WRX

tbtstt said:
Great final. The Bakkerud/Solberg/Loeb scrap was brilliant to watch, Loeb didn't seem to be shy when it came to trading paint! Much better performance from Block as well. Hoonigan Racing had three cars at the track, so it seems like the third test car is now complete. I understand that car will go to the US for Block to increase his seat time in. 
I loved how Solberg in his usual style tried to force his way through, and Bakkerud was like "bitch, please" xD

Though I don't like when the Joker is set on the inside of the track without much in terms of obstruction. It should be similar to Hell, where when you drive it, you know you're going to be behind regardless of the weather. No cheating with jumping the start :p

tbtstt said:
Great final. The Bakkerud/Solberg/Loeb scrap was brilliant to watch, Loeb didn't seem to be shy when it came to trading paint! Much better performance from Block as well. Hoonigan Racing had three cars at the track, so it seems like the third test car is now complete. I understand that car will go to the US for Block to increase his seat time in. 
I loved how Solberg in his usual style tried to force his way through, and Bakkerud was like "****, please" xD

Though I don't like when the Joker is set on the inside of the track without much in terms of obstruction. It should be similar to Hell, where when you drive it, you know you're going to be behind regardless of the weather. No cheating with jumping the start :p
The chicane after the joker jump could be made tighter, which would slow the cars down more. A lot of the guys are absolutely flying through there, Solberg actually flicks his car off the jump to set the car up for the chicane. It's absolutely awesome to see! 

Unlucky weekend for Ekstrom: he closed the point gap to Solberg in qualifying, then lost it again in the semi-final! Pretty interesting to see what Kristoffersson's win has done to the points table though: it's really closed the top four up now.

tbtstt said:
Unlucky weekend for Ekstrom: he closed the point gap to Solberg in qualifying, then lost it again in the semi-final! Pretty interesting to see what Kristoffersson's win has done to the points table though: it's really closed the top four up now.
Well, it's more like fight for 1st place and 3rd place. There's quite a big margin from 3rd to 2nd. Still, a lot more interesting than... I don't know, Rally side with Ogier dominating once more, even though obviously having a worse season.

I'm personally rooting for Ekstrom and Bakkerud. Nothing against Solberg and Kristoffersson, but I prefer Focus and S1 above DS3 and Polo xD

tbtstt said:
Well, it's more like fight for 1st place and 3rd place. There's quite a big margin from 3rd to 2nd. Still, a lot more interesting than... I don't know, Rally side with Ogier dominating once more, even though obviously having a worse season.

I'm personally rooting for Ekstrom and Bakkerud. Nothing against Solberg and Kristoffersson, but I prefer Focus and S1 above DS3 and Polo xD
Given how much Bakkerud and Kristoffersson have closed them down, I don't think Ekstrom and Solberg are safe. Yeah, I personally prefer the S1 to the Focus, DS3 and Polo... but I'm still cheering for Petter! 

(And I prefer the M-Sport Fiesta RX more than all the other cars!)

tbtstt said:
tbtstt said:

Given how much Bakkerud and Kristoffersson have closed them down, I don't think Ekstrom and Solberg are safe.
I'd agree... if it weren't for the fact only 4 events left and unless Solberg and Ekstrom don't make into the semi's, it's really hard to imagine them not keeping their positions.

tbtstt said:
tbtstt said:

Given how much Bakkerud and Kristoffersson have closed them down, I don't think Ekstrom and Solberg are safe.
I'd agree... if it weren't for the fact only 4 events left and unless Solberg and Ekstrom don't make into the semi's, it's really hard to imagine them not keeping their positions.
True. We are late in the season though and I have no idea how many of their engines each team have used at this point. If they are forced to play it safe for a round or two then not making the semis is a possibility...

...I am sure that EKS and Solberg will have planned such things though!

In other (sort of) rallycross news I see Ken Block is now teasing the gymkhana debut of the Focus RS RX that was hinted at in Gymkhana 8:

https://www.facebook.com/KenBlockRacing/photos/a.161073115764.121142.139454585764/10153949195160765/?type=3&theater

Talking about future events and the championship. I do remember reading an article that wrote about how Ekstrøm would miss out on argentina RX due to DTM

Talking about future events and the championship. I do remember reading an article that wrote about how Ekstrøm would miss out on argentina RX due to DTM
If he is in contention for the World title I suspect he may drop the DTM round, especially as he is nowhere near the top of the DTM standings this year.

tbtstt said:
If he is in contention for the World title I suspect he may drop the DTM round, especially as he is nowhere near the top of the DTM standings this year.
If he wouldn't do that, at that point he would allow himself to be called... well... you know, the not very smart thing xD

Jenson Button in 2017 FIA WRX?

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/17545800/jenson-button-hints-rallycross-super-gt-2017

So Ekstrom is not going to miss a single event in the WRX calendar and going for the title. Good decision, I'm definitely rooting for him (and Bakkerud as well).

Barcelona definitely gave Ekstrom the edge. Also seems like Solberg has to take it easy on the car after that crash. It's really going to be interesting, both for 1st place fight and 3rd, since no one really knows how Bakkerud will fare in the last 3 events, while Kristoffersson performance is less of a mystery on those circuits.

This season is definitely one that caters to my liking. Both Focus and S1 are fighting for podium :D

Second for Ekstrom and a weekend to forget for Solberg in Latvia. Unless Mattias has a major smash and drops out of a weekend, the title looks to be his now. Shame that the title fight between Petter and Mattias didn't go down to the last round. 

I was a bittersweet end of the championship battle. In a way I was happy that Ekstrøn didn't win. I would have made the situation so much more sour. Im sure petter will get that 2nd place back from kristofferson though.

I was a bittersweet end of the championship battle. In a way I was happy that Ekstrøn didn't win. I would have made the situation so much more sour. Im sure petter will get that 2nd place back from kristofferson though.
Yeah, I think Solberg should be able to claim the second back. As you say, its a bittersweet end to the battle. I think a different Champion is a positive thing for the Championship, though I was really hoping to see Petter make it three in a row: especially given the increased works competition in this years Championship. 

What are peoples feelings on the Solberg disqualification in Q2? I don't disagree with punishing overly-aggressive driving but, despite my personal bias towards Petter, I still think the judging standard is a bit erratic. 

tbtstt said:
Yeah, I think Solberg should be able to claim the second back. As you say, its a bittersweet end to the battle. I think a different Champion is a positive thing for the Championship, though I was really hoping to see Petter make it three in a row: especially given the increased works competition in this years Championship. 

What are peoples feelings on the Solberg disqualification in Q2? I don't disagree with punishing overly-aggressive driving but, despite my personal bias towards Petter, I still think the judging standard is a bit erratic. 
I didn't find the decision-making consistent with, well, anything else I've seen from WRX. I was looking forward to a down-to-the-wire championship fight... I'm sure Petter will claw it back to second, but as you've said, it's a really bittersweet end to the battle. Very disappointing. I'm really happy to see Loeb win something though - he's been threatening a win all season, and to see him get this one so convincingly was awesome. 

tbtstt said:

I didn't find the decision-making consistent with, well, anything else I've seen from WRX. I was looking forward to a down-to-the-wire championship fight... I'm sure Petter will claw it back to second, but as you've said, it's a really bittersweet end to the battle. Very disappointing. I'm really happy to see Loeb win something though - he's been threatening a win all season, and to see him get this one so convincingly was awesome. 
Yeah. The Hansen 208's always seem to cope well with wet conditions and, as you say, it was a very convincing drive from Loeb. The Hansen team don't seem to have had the late season surge that we have seen the last couple of years, but at least both their main drivers have scored a win this year (and Kevin has won the Euro title). 

I'm curious to know if the judging is done by local circuit officials, or if there is a representative (or representatives) from the FiA making the decisions at each round. There have been a couple of questionable calls during this years Championship, though this is perhaps the most significant as it has directly impacted the title fight. 

Wait, Loeb is RX champion? What have I missed? I should pay more attention to RX...
He isn't Champion @Porkhammer, he just won a round of the Championship (in Latvia). Petter Solberg and Mattias Ekstrom having been swapping the lead of the Championship throughout the year, but Solberg was disqualified from one of the races in Latvia and he crashed in another (due to obscured visibility) so his Championship challenge is pretty much over unless Ekstrom has a very bad weekend in one of the last two rounds. 

Is there any a bit longer video coverage from the events somewhere online or the 1-2 minutes official videos are everything that's worth watching?

versedi said:
Is there any a bit longer video coverage from the events somewhere online or the 1-2 minutes official videos are everything that's worth watching?
There's this thing (if it's geoblocked for you, get the Opera browser, it has a built in free VPN. It's blocked in my country and I was able to watch it using the VPN) 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fffxVlK1zoQ

Also, what do you think of our track? :)

Congratulations for Kevin Ericsson & Matthias Ekstrom! I'm gutted for Solberg, bring on FIA WRX 2017!

https://youtu.be/bHLbiwUXvII                                                                  

A very deserved voctory for Kevin. Brilliant move on the first corner.

But I have to give some props to Bakkerus too who drove 3 laps with the cabin full of exaust.

Probably a very stupid idea to continue driving. but he managed to fight it to get the third spot.