Jump to content Jump to content

Oculus Rift and DiRT Rally

Benniz

Hello good people!

The Oculus Rift is now up for pre-order, and will be released in a couple of months time. I am considering getting hold of one to up my DiRT Rally experience a notch or two. Does anyone have any experience with the earlier dev models of the Rift, if it's easy to use/install, and of course if it's worth the purchase?

I expect the Codies devs have tested this a fair bit, great if you could provide some feedback too!

Ben
Hi there :) 

When the Experience is the same as before 2 Months then its not the best at all. You don't have a usable GUI and the Camera Shaking in Game is also bit bad.

But when you be in the Car its really good and makes much fun.

Also i think they will bring us a Update when the Oculus Rift will be Released with the new SDK 1.0 Update. (Project Cars will also get then an Update with many new things)

For me i hope they will also Implement OpenVR for HTC VIVE Support!

VR is the way to go in Racing Simulations :)
It is very easy to use, just have the Rift on and DiRT Rally will recognise it and default to using it. It splits the UI between your monitor and the Rift until you get to drive and then it is a bit tricky using the Rift but just about usable (you can repair the car in service for example by simply hitting the F2 and F4 keys to accept recommendations).

The combination of DiRT Rally and the Oculus Rift DK2 is my favourite sim racing experience right now and I have tried pretty much them all!
It splits the UI between your monitor and the Rift until you get to drive and then it is a bit tricky using the Rift but just about usable (you can repair the car in service for example by simply hitting the F2 and F4 keys to accept recommendations).
Oh yes the its really tricky.... you don't see the full GUI and when you don't know the trick with F2 and F4 you have no chance to get it.

The combination of DiRT Rally and the Oculus Rift DK2 is my favourite sim racing experience right now and I have tried pretty much them all!
For me it is Project Cars because you have a usable GUI also in the Rift and you can play Liga Races with Box Stops and more without taking off the Rift.
  • 3 weeks later...
Any news now that the new rift SDK is out on whether we will be seeing this implemented into Dirt Rally?

Menus and the new Async Timewarp would make a huge difference to the experience (especially menus)
PCARs has done a great job of integrating the menus, although I'd rather be in Dirt

I know there is an update coming on the 5th of April - it would be nice if this included VR

Archived