F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cannot play steam games offline

perhaps I put the wrong password in once, perhaps I turned the computer off when steam was opened, perhaps I looked at it the wrong way.
but when I tried to play F1 2015 (or PCARS) the steam client insisted that I go online, there was no start in offline mode . this was unfortunate as my landline had a fault and I didnt have the internet for 2 weeks. I got "steamed".
I had to resort to a complete restore of the system (acronis true image) and start a new career. I dont even know if I want to risk Steam updating their software so perhaps I am scared to update F1 too. 
PC, desktop, AMD processor, AMD graphics.

the steam client also refuses to store the password, even though I click on it to do so.

getting us all addicted on online for their control I suspect, or really bad programming.

(and as an aside and lesson for me, my problem with F1 taking way too long to load was my fault I think, the graphics card has issues seating onto the mobo apparently, I now get better load times with the desktop PC on it's side, and the graphics card vertical.).

For steam games when you first install them you have to go online once you've booted it up once with the client online you can then run the games in offline mode. Annoying I know but that's how gaming works these days

Steam has issues with that I believe. Went on hols with my laptop and FM installed and setup, steam password set and followed all instructions to setup for offline. Tested it offline all was well. 

Go on holidays and try to start FM in offline, steam says I must go online to start offline mode or some sh!t. Thanks steam. I had to use phone as dongle and it cost me about a tenner on 3g and a good hour to get it working again. I've read a lot of posts about it before too.

FRACTURED said:
Steam has issues with that I believe. Went on hols with my laptop and FM installed and setup, steam password set and followed all instructions to setup for offline. Tested it offline all was well. 

Go on holidays and try to start FM in offline, steam says I must go online to start offline mode or some sh!t. Thanks steam. I had to use phone as dongle and it cost me about a tenner on 3g and a good hour to get it working again. I've read a lot of posts about it before too.

ahh right so it's when your leaving home the problems show up must bs something to do with the way their locater software works or something.

@ sjsharp

no, I had already activated my steam account once , and downloaded the game, and updated both  several times prior to this.. I now need to determine if a steam software update (can we turn that off when going online to update a game? , I doubt it) was responsible for the extra user unfriendliness.

and if the steam spybot, in supposed offline  mode, determines that I am in a different location (referring to @Fractured's issue), then this is even more insulting to me.

(while I am here a request for 2016 for game damage to equal that of Alonso/Gutierri in 2016 Melbourne race...) and I won't complain if my driver also walks away from it instead of ending the career.
McLaren driver Fernando Alonso of Spain emerges from the wreck of his car after he collided with Haas driver Esteban Gutierrez of Mexico during the Australian Formula One Grand Prix at Albert Park in Melbourne Australia Sunday March 20 2016 AP PhotoTheo Karanikos

it happened again, I got sick of waiting for the game to load and hard booted the PC, Steam insists I log in to play the game I paid for. I had access to the internet this time, so I swallowed it. Unflippinbelievable.

If I ever get a court order banning me from the internet, I am going to appeal the severity of the sentence as I would not, sooner or later, be able to play my favourite (only) game.

@Operator1.. thanks for that, though, just 2 days ago I have discovered my problem...

I had the hard drive connected to the motherboards sata3 port and cable..
I changed to the red cable, sata2 mobo port , and no problems, game loads quickly enough (less chance to get steamed as Steam obviously cannot handle crashes and cannot save state information).

I haven't checked a different cable on the Sata3 port, dont need to, if it aint broke..
would have been nice for a Codemasters guru to have told me that 5 minute game loads are abnormal and to check my layer 1 - cables.

one wonders though, looking up your link, how does Steam know a game needs further updates if one does not go online except for the first time to register the game  ? I wonder if they have a date timer to 'encourage' updates , both for their own Steam client and for the games. I'll find out soon enough I expect.

and yes, if I dont like it I should not buy it... though Codemasters have a monopoly on 'F1' don't they?

apart from those gripes , I am indeed enjoying the game, need something better than the G27 though.