Sign in to follow this  

2016 Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

What a load of rubbish.                                            

#niceoneson                 

That was the worst qualifying I have ever seen.

Alternatively, Lewis is on pole so it's also one of the best ;) I really liked C4's coverage.

This does remind me of the horrid 2005 qualifying. Was a bad idea from the start and got scrapped pretty fast, too.
Though, I can't decide which one of the two formats is worse.

MBKF1 said:
That was a lot worse than I thought it was going to be. If that makes the end of the season then I'll be very surprised.

yeah this qualifying format is even worse than the one where they only had 1 car on track at any given time where the cars ran in championship order and that didn't work either for me. For me if they want to change anything it's the race itself that could probably use a freshen up not qualifying. Qualifying for me should be left as it was as that part of the weekend is just fine and holds interest all the way through.

Hughesy said:
First things first, what a lap from Hamilton! Whoever came up with this new qualifying format deserves to be shot in the bollocks, actually shoot each ball individually for maximum pain! Bloody awful, hope they go back to the old format as nothing was wrong with it.....

MBKF1 said:
That was a lot worse than I thought it was going to be. If that makes the end of the season then I'll be very surprised.
If it makes it to the next race I won't be watching qualifying.

I don't think i'l bother either if that format stays. I'l just put my F1 game on and do a proper qualy session

Perhaps they should do what Lewis said after qualifying: Try several different formats for the opening races and see which works best. I'd personally like them to try the 1hour/12lap format again. If all else fails they have last years format. They've started off with a shocking idea so they might as well try different things, it can't get any worse now...right?

Perhaps they should do what Lewis said after qualifying: Try several different formats for the opening races and see which works best. I'd personally like them to try the 1hour/12lap format again. If all else fails they have last years format. They've started off with a shocking idea so they might as well try different things, it can't get any worse now...right?

Personally I don't think Qualy needed changing the race format itself is I think the thing that needs a shakeup. For example instead of having say for example a 70 lap race split the race in 2 and have 2 35 lap races and in the  second race the top 10 at the end of race 1 on for example reversed on the grid for race 2. That way we get to see those that would normally win a race have to fight a little bit in order t o get through the pack. At least in my opinion it would shake up the race. It's probably not perfect but I think it's better than the ideas they seem to be coming up with atm.

No no no no no! This is F1 not touring cars! It should be one long race with the grid decided by a proper system. The old one worked fine, just stick with it. Spread the money more equally and give the teams at the back a chance to catch up.

The qualy cock up really has me worried about what they'll do to the cars next year.

fIsince08 said:
No no no no no! This is F1 not touring cars! It should be one long race with the grid decided by a proper system. The old one worked fine, just stick with it. Spread the money more equally and give the teams at the back a chance to catch up.

The qualy cock up really has me worried about what they'll do to the cars next year.

I only mentioned it as a suggestion because if anything it's the race that needs shaking up if anything not qualifying besides I don't think the teams at the top will allow the teams at the bottom  have any more influence than they can get away with so the FIA in my opinion has to step in and actually do something in order to make it happen. That's the problem the only way I can see  the order being shaken up tbh is by doing something radical like what I suggested. Right now as things stan dI'm kind of glad F1's gone the way it is bnecause I'm not suer I'll be wanting to watch it that much in it's current state so in a sense I'm kind of glad as I'm saving money and saving time as well by not watching it. Or at least I will be if this keeps up

NIIIIICCCCOOOOOOOO
What a race! Ferrari are gonna be a real threat this year to the Mercs...hopefully.

Ok, I'm gonna say it. Great race! Best opener I've seen since in quite some time.

Yeah, I'm disappointed the Merc's still got their usual 1-2, but we saw some awesome, awesome racing in the midfield. Let's just hope Ferrari is this close in the rest of the season.
And something else: I fucking love the new tyre rules. Great diversity between strategies. Many chances for smaller teams to get more out of the races, and of course, for Ferrari to beat Mercedes.

Oh, and mighty fine job from Haas and Grosjean! Awesome!

Flashbacks to Ralf Schumacher and Jacques Villeneuve in 2001 when Gutierrez was in the gravel, with that amount of dust and debris in the initial shot I knew something big had happened. Good to see everyone's cool though.

What a race though, Mercedes may have got their 1-2 but Jesus Christ they had to fight for it. Let's hope we see more of this for the rest of the season.

Entertaining race and worth getting up for, but Ferrari threw that away. The red flag was unfortunate, without that it would've been at the very least a 2nd place, but they had the chance to win it anyway if they had just gone for medium tyres at the red flag. Mercedes' had the faster car so I would've thought keeping track position would've been the priority. Instead they went for something needlessly aggressive where they knew they'd have to pass at least one Mercedes'. Hindsight etc, but weird and a wasted oppurtunity.

Ultimately though while the race itself was great, my overall optimism for the season has been dulled. Mercedes' are still miles ahead in qualifying and Ferrari can only challenge them if they have great starts. When Merc learn how to get away clean this season it will be business as usual. At least the midfield battle looks fun. And Haas look to have done a superb job.  

I voted for Kyvat.                                     

I voted Grosjean.

Rosberg only won that race through lucky strategy, both Vettel and Hamilton were better than him today. Good race though, the new tyre rules have helped mix things up and it was just a simple change. They should take note of that fact for quality.

I voted Grosjean.

Rosberg only won that race through lucky strategy, both Vettel and Hamilton were better than him today. Good race though, the new tyre rules have helped mix things up and it was just a simple change. They should take note of that fact for quality.
Rosberg had a brake issue and still managed to stay ahead so i think Rosberg deserved that win.

I voted Grosjean.

Rosberg had a brake issue and still managed to stay ahead so i think Rosberg deserved that win.
He didn't even know about the brake issue, and all it was was overheating calipers. Vettel deserved the win IMO.